PDA

View Full Version : Grrr!

Catty1
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
This was on a Pets Calgary site today....Jesus, they should get a halti for the KID or rehome HIM!
(sorry...I like kids...but am peeved at THIS family!)

We have thought about this for a long while, but have decided that we
really need to find a new home for our 6 year old german shepard
cross, Clifford. He is a great dog, but our 3 year old is really mean
to him and no matter what we do with our son, he doesn't let up on
Clifford. Clifford now will snarl and growl and our son, and snap at
him when he has had enough....but our son does not get it :(

So with a heavy heart, we are looking for someone to adopt our greatly
loved dog. Would be best if he were placed in a home with no small
children, just because of how our son has been with him.

Clifford is a great protector of his family and home. And knows some
great commands (he will even play dead if you pretend to shoot him).
His shots are all up to date. If you are the right family for him, we
will give you the harness and leash that we use to walk him
with....and the halti too that we have tried (with not much
success--but we were not patient enough with it either), his food and
his treats.

For more information or for pictures please email me. \

lizbud
03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
It's a shame that can't have more control over the kid. :mad: Just think
what he'll be like by the age of 16. :eek: I really hope the dog will find a
good home. he deserves it.

Karen
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
The child may have other behavioral or emotional problems as well, please don't assume that this is a normal family and situation and a normal child. At least they are trying to do the right thing, and not dumping the dog at a shelter, locking him in the basement, tying him up in the back yard or worse - dumping him on the street. They should be prompted to contact a breed rescue group.

Medusa
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Yes, find a home for that poor dog. Years ago I lived next door to kids who were mean to animals and, as they grew older, I caught them one day with their own dog buried up to it's neck and they were throwing rocks at its' head! When I rescued the dog and called the cops on them, they put our family through 9 years of hell, vandalizing our yard, car, mailbox, whatever. When they start that young, they're going to get worse. I like kids, too, but some people just shouldn't be parents! Grrrrrrrrrrrr is right!

Catty1
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I did reply via web post and, as gently as I could, suggested they get their child evaluated, for his own safety.

(once I cooled down)

If this kid doesn't "get it" after being snarled at and nipped, what ELSE won't he "get" that could endanger his well-being?

I do understand, Karen...I was just MAD.

Thanks!

Lobodeb
03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I have to agree with Karen. At least they're doing the right thing for the dog. They've tried disciplining the boy without luck, so rather than take it out on the dog, they're doing the next best thing. I hope the dog gets the home he/she deserves and the child gets the help he needs.

king2005
03-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Notice how they didn't say, we fear the dog will bite or harm our child. They said their child IS the problem, not the dog.

I think its a responsible thing to do before the dog does get hurt or even bites & hurts the child & then has to be put to sleep! I think the family has the dogs best intentions in their hearts, as they are trying to find him a home & not dumping him in a shelter.

finn's mom
03-27-2007, 01:23 PM
That sucks. I feel really badly for the family and the dog. :(

Muddy4paws
03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Simple choice, Get rid of the kid.

Seriously though I hope he finds a loving home, it seriously sounds like that kid is a right little brat.

Canis-Lupess
03-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I agree that they are trying to do the right thing by the dog and know that the situation is down to their son being mean to the dog. I think a bit more discipline wouldn't go amiss. If I'd have done anything mean to any of our dogs, I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month afterwards nevermind a week.

Still, many kids are just out of control these days. In the UK, the government have already outlawed smacking that leaves any type of mark like a bit of redness and campaigners are trying to outlaw smacking altogether. Like kids aren't out of control enough these days.....

phesina
03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
That's the kind of kid that grows up to become a serial killer or at least a child-beater and/or wife-beater. And it makes me wonder what the parents or some other adults do to the kid that has made him that way.

At least the parents are making an effort to find a good home for the dog, rather than just turning him in to the local animal control or turning him out into the streets.

Pat

coco-bean
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Thats aweful, can you really imagine what that home life is like with that kid ragging on that dog the whole time. Im almost positive of it that there has to be an emotional/behavioral probleM!
what i thought was funny is....if you are the RIGHT family you get the harness and the treats/food!
So does that mean if you arent the right family you dont get those things?
JMO

lizbud
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Notice how they didn't say, we fear the dog will bite or harm our child. They said their child IS the problem, not the dog.

I think its a responsible thing to do before the dog does get hurt or even bites & hurts the child & then has to be put to sleep! I think the family has the dogs best intentions in their hearts, as they are trying to find him a home & not dumping him in a shelter.

Exactly. if the child had a medical problem that caused his behavior, don't
you think she would have mentioned that fact? Sounds like this lady knows
just where the problem is & wants to do the right thing by the dog. I wish
her well.

catmandu
03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Personally I would keep the Dog and lose the Brat.
If I ever hurt our Cats , my Mom would give me a boot where it hurt.
Its getting scary that theres so much meaness and hatred in that youngster.
I pray that Dog ends up somewhere good.
I know a school teacher and she actually has to be careful around students who are 8 or 9 years old.
One actually set up her 14 year old babysitter to be raped and beat up and they put it on the internet for laughs.Its like the Village of the Damned.

kitten645
03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't have kids but I know that both my nieces (8 & 3) and nephew (18 months) all learned "GENTLE" before they could even crawl or speak! Even when they were tiny and uncoordinated with jerky movements that could spook a cat, you could see the intention was to be kind to the animal. I shudder to be around this kid later in life. :mad:

jennielynn1970
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I've been teaching for 10 years, and I have to tell you, it is just getting worse. There are 10 parents out there who would never raise their voice or a hand to their child for every one parent out there who teaches their child responsibility and respect and discipline.

Some of our biggest pains at school are the most gentle with animals or the physically or mentally challenged students, however, some of our emotionally disturbed kids are the nastiest people I've ever met. I like to believe in the good in all, but some of them have so much hatred in them, and have come from so much abuse, they just don't know how to be any other way.

It's a weird thing. I guess it all depends on the problems with the kid. Some children are just inherently mean. It's just like some people who view animals as possessions to be bought and sold, and others who view them as their family.

I get a lot of questions from the kids "Miss... do you have kids??" and first I started the whole "No, I'm not married." which doesn't fly at the school where I'm at cause so many are from single parent families. Sometimes I just joke that teaching is the best birth control ever, lol. :p