PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed your dogs seperate?

Flatcoatluver
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
At work we get a couple dog's that must be kept seperate. I am just curious about your dogs.

I keep my dogs seperated because Zoey used to guard her bowl when I switched to feeding her twice a day instead of she eats whenever she wants. Now there bowls are each at different ends of the room and since T.j finishes last Zoey learned now she has to go and lay down instead of try and get T.j's food. T.j is a door mat in the dog world.

lvpets2002
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
:) No my two outside dogs are ok with one big dry food bowl.. They take turns..

Taz_Zoee
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
We only have Zoee. But when she goes to my brothers house when we are away on the weekends, I think they feed them all at the same time. I know they would feed Zoee and Boo at the same time, but now with Lucy I'm not sure how they do it. But I think it's all together just in different parts of the kitchen.

lizbud
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I feed them together, always have & it's never a problem.

Jakesmom
03-27-2007, 12:26 PM
We feed them together (not right side by side, Jake is sort of an "enthusiastic" eater, and Sophie is more picky). Jake is very mellow about his food and Sophie doesn't try to get it (not so much his rawhides when I used to give him those, the only fight he has ever been in was when I gave an old rawhide he no longer chewed on to a visiting dog...guess he didn't want anyone else to have it either...). Sophie wouldn't take anothers food, but she is a little possessive if one of the cats wanders over to her bowl.

Jake's mom

Pembroke_Corgi
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I feed them all at the same time, but they each have a "spot" where they eat. The other two are fine, but Adele has to be crated, because unfortunately she is slightly food aggressive towards the other pets.

k9krazee
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
By seperate do you mean in different bowls or in different rooms?

My dogs all have thier own bowl in their specific spot in the dining room. Its funny, if you ask them if they're hungry they go and stand in their spots waiting for their food. We don't have any issues with food aggression at all.

luvofallhorses
03-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, because all of them except Rocky are very food aggressive.

Jenny eats in the living room, Buster eats in the kitchen,
and Ginger and Rocky eat in my parent's room with the door shut. and I would never feed them out of the same dish, that's just asking for trouble with my food aggressive dogs.

finn's mom
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I put other because none of them take pills, none of them are really food aggressive, but I still separate them. :) Finn eats raw outside and Freckles and Dudley eat kibble out of separate bowls in the kitchen. They all get fed at the same time, I just don't want to take the chance that Finn would drop his chicken on the carpet, so I put him outside. :)

critter crazy
03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I have always fed my dogs together, side by side. I feel it is best this way, as we can work on any aggression and or Guarding issues. I have never had a problem with it, and the dogs dont mind either. half the time, the food sits in their dishes for a while before eaten.

GrabaLab
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
We feed our dogs at the same time with their own bowls in the same area. They tend to rotate bowls after they eat to check out one anothers bowl to see if there is anything left to eat. :)

Lobodeb
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
My two are fine. The only problem we have is that Emma insists on going potty mid way through her meal. Why is that a problem, you ask? Because I have a fat cat who will come in and eat what she left! Normally Maggy leaves some, so Emma is affectionately known as the resident dish washer. :p

cyber-sibes
03-27-2007, 02:30 PM
i'm not sure what you mean - separate as in different rooms? Or separate as in not side by side? I feed mine about 6' apart. Sherman sucks it down, Star takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r-, but she let Sherman know he is not welcome to her food till she lets him have it. He respects that.

pessimisaurus
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
mine are resource guarders but they respect each others food and even when they do guard they never hurt either other because their bite inhibition is good. plus usually a little growl is enough to get the other to back off.

I feed brock in a bowl whether alki is around or not, but I always feed alki in her crate. I either toss the kibble in loose for her to scavenge, or feed her in a tricky treat ball or other work-to-eat toy. when using those I have to seperate her otherwise Brock will eat the loose kibble that falls out.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Mine all eat separately. The main reason is because they all eat at very different speeds and the faster eaters will try to steal the slower eaters food. For the most part I don't really have any issues with food aggression except a little between Bitsy and Nova. Nova eats fast and Bitsy eats slow, Nova will finish her bowl and try to steal Bitsy's food, Bitsy will guard it.

pitc9
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Mine eat right next to each other, they share a 2 bowl feeder.
No problems.

Kfamr
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
When eating kibble, they all eat in the diningroom/kitchen area, just at different spots.

When eating raw, they all eat on the paved area in their yard. It's about 4x10foot wide.

coco-bean
03-27-2007, 04:11 PM
i have to keep mine seperate because coco refuses to eat in the same room as the other two. and Cainan doesnt eat until he's FOR sure that the other two are eating theirs and wont take his! He spends half the time guarding his food still!

dogzr#1
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
They all eat in different areas. All three of them are one diets so they can't eat the others food. Molly gets fed near the washer, the normal eating spot. Prince gets fed in 'his' room and Astra gets fed outside. She eats it a lot quicker and actually eats all of it when fed outside.

Glacier
03-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Feeding is one of the most complicated parts of keeping this pack.

-Kayleigh eats alone of course, because she does everything alone. Kayleigh was starved by her first owner. Six years later, food is still a huge issue for her. She still keeps something edible hidden in her doghouse at all times, just in case I forget to feed her one night!

-Raven and Deuce can eat together. They are seperated on the nights I feed kibble. They eat meat in the same pen.

-Chum and Pacer eat together in their own pen.

-Tehya eats different food than everyone else. She is in her crate while the others eat and then gets fed alone.

-Muskwa eats diet kibble. Earle and Paxil need a low fat diet(due to chronic pancreatitis). Sleet eats senior food. They all eat in the house at the same time, but in different spots.

-Chase and Goldie eat together.

-Sundin eats in his doghouse, but with Ozzy and Antare in the same pen.

-Pingo eats in her doghouse too(Must be genetic), but in the main yard.

-Hobo eats in the Arctic entry by himself.

-Heyoka gets tied up for dinner or none of the other dogs would get any food.

-Anvik needs additional calories. He eats in a small pen by himself.

The rest of them(Founder, Delta, Bandit, Mac, and Franklin) eat as a group in the main yard. They eat get a pile of kibble or a chunk of meat. Kibble they eat in something of a row. Meat they eat grab their piece and go to their own spots to chew.

wolf_Q
03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Nebo is food aggressive (with dogs, NOT people). He's usually not bad with just dog food, but you never know. Keva seems fine with dog food (Nebo likes to finish his first then crawl over and try to sneak a bit of hers and she doesn't do anything) but with any "special" treat she guards it. So to prevent any problems, I separate them. I feed them in the same room, I just put Keva on a leash and leave Nebo loose. They can be close, just not close enough for Keva to reach Nebo's food and they are completely fine.

Sydney is fed by my mom, she usually feeds her before I get out of bed then again in her room I think. Sydney and Nebo can be fed in the same room and they are fine, Sydney's not dumb enough to come up and try to take Nebo's food.....but Keva is.

BCollie_Kelly
03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Both Riley and Rebel are fed in the kitchen, though not next to each other as Riley likes to steal Rebels food.

Roxyluvsme13
03-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes. Roxy does have a slight food aggression, as does Lily. Roxy's is alot more serious though.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Mine all eat near eachother, but out of different bowls. They dont have a problem at all if another dog is near their bowl and they're all very good about leaving eachother alone.

Giselle
03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Lucky has always had severe food aggression, both towards humans and dogs. After working on him for a few years, he's no longer aggressive towards humans (thank God for "Leave It"), but he has drawn blood from Giselle several times. Being the softhearted greyhound that she is, she doesn't even try to defend herself.

Sooo the dogs eat at different corners of the house. Troublesome, but worth it.

Chilli
03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
All three eat in the sunroom, though all have different bowls. All three boys have just very slight food aggression, but its never been a problem. All of them just keep to themselves. No problems at all! :D

chocolatepuppy
03-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Lacey and Layla eat just a few feet from each other. When Layla was a little puppy, I sat between the two of them until she learned to just eat out of her bowl.

Danegirl2208
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
my 2 get fed in their crates.. so they are separate...no food agression issues, but chloe is a food hound, and she will make it her duty to eat both her and kais meal :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
no, because I only have one dog! But if I had more I'd seperate them anyway.

Pam
03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Mine eat together and always have. Halfway through the meal they often change bowls. I guess they want to make sure the other one is eating the same thing. :p

Cincy'sMom
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Sadie and Cincy have their own bowls, on a shared placemat. They get different foods, and Cincy eats faster, so we have to remind her a sometimes to only eat her own, if she steals a bite, Sadie doesn't care. Spot's bowl is on the other side othe same room, just because there isn't room next to the others. He and Sadie eat the same food, so sometimes they eat out of each other's bowls.

Lori Jordan
03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
They all eat together,But they all have a seperate dish.That is the only way Lacy will eat is if she is fed in the group.She will let her food sit for hours,But will eat it up if she thinks one of the other dogs will eat her food

She is 100% Brat...lol!

bckrazy
03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
My boys are fine together... Fozzie respects Gonzo enough not to steal (unlike when he was a bratty puppy) & Gonzo is not protective at all. Even with Raw!

cali
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
always, but not for any of the reasons in the poll lol non are food aggressive or take any meds. but they WILL steal each others food, and they all eat completly different amounts, some like to steal and others will just walk away.

Electra will walk away from her food if another dog decideds they want it, she wont gaurd it. but at the same time she will also steal another dogs food at any time, she is quite the pig lol

Happy will not steallanother dogs food, most the time she wont even eat her own lol she has to be crated with her food because somestimes she will act like she is starving then you give her her food, and she will just lay in her crate and not even look at it. if she is not in her crate she just walks away, but the second she walks away someone else dives in and snatches it, usually one of the littles dogs, and Happy is my largest dog, so its way to much for them.

Misty and Ripley are extremly fast eaters, and the second they finish they fly to the nearest bowl warn the bowls owner away and finnish off that dogs food lol

Perky is a slower eater, and Ripley often steals her food

so..I aheva very long kitchen lol Happy eats in her crate, Blair eats in his crate, Misty eats loose beside Happys crate, Electra eats loose in front of the baby gate, and Rusty eats loose in front of the back door. perky and Ripley eat side by side by the stove with my mom standing in between, I stand guard of Electra.

dab_20
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Molli is extremely food aggresive... I cannot feed them ANYTHING together. I can't even feed them bones inside the house because if they smell it on the floor they fight. :( I've been working with Molli for almost a year and it just doesn't seem to get any better.
Sam eats everything in sight, so I can't have any dog food out unless it's his. lol

ramanth
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Kia and Chipper get fed at the same time but at opposite ends of the kitchen. I don't dare put their bowls next to each other since Kia has a food aggression/guarding issue.

Chipper always finishes first and then sits back and waits for Kia to finish. Then she lets him sniff and lick at her empty bowl.

A year ago she would of snapped at anyone that came near her bowl, empty or full. I think she's making great progress. :)

king2005
03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I choose Other.

We only have Bear, shes not food agressive, but she will eat anything & everything in sight :eek:

Right now we have Bear & Buddy (made a post about him). Neither seem to care about the other, but its very important they both eat their proper amounts as they both have thyroid problems. Bear is too fat & Buddy is too thin... They are both on life long meds, but non is in their foods. They just love me in the morning cause they think their Pill Poppers are awesome treats!!!

So this morning Bear was gatted in the kitchen & Buddy was loose. He wont mess in the house, so him being loose it fine.. Bear will mess if given too large of an area to roam free in (shes sooooooo much better, but still has the odd accident).

labmomma
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
My youngest Lab is a good eater and I have to put him outside. My older Lab is passive as far as food goes and I have to leave the room in order for him to be able to concentrate on eating. If there is any activivity going on it the kitchen/family room/ sun room areas he won't eat. He's my nosey dog.
Labmomma X 2

Sophist
04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I missed this when it was up here...

I feed all of mine seperate, but like a lot of people here it isn't due to any aggression issues. It has just always been something I have felt more comfortable doing. It also helps monitor how much each one eats (Cadet, for instance, would try to get as much of the other two dog's meal as possisble) and just prevents some fluke thing.

They all inhibit their bite wonderfully, none have ever been food aggressive or even big guarders, etc, but if something happened I would hardly be the first owner to say "they have never done anything like that before!" Like any animal, they do have powerful instincts....

Special treats that can be eaten in one gulp are administered in a group setting, though.

Reachoutrescue
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I feed ours seperate only because of all the rescues we get in. We never know when some pup can act out towards another. Scruff and Dozer eat fine together though.

lute
04-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I feed all my dogs in their crates. They aren't food agressive or anything. Since my dogs all eat Raw it's just easier to clean up and disinfect after they eat.

Whisk_Luva
04-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I dont have a dog! I voted other :p