PDA

View Full Version : Should John Edwards still run?

Pam
03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
For those who haven't read or heard the story.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/22/edwards.2008/index.html

Sen. Edwards is still planning to run and I am wondering what your thoughts are. I know it is a personal thing and probably none of my business as it is their decision to make, but I just thought it strange that he is still going to run.

Her cancer is not curable and who knows how much time they will have left together. I would think, and hope, that my husband would want to spend more time with me rather than less if I had a serious illness. Also, should he run and be elected, how could he handle the heavy responsibility of such a job with a possibly very ill wife at the same time.

What are your thoughts?

Edwina's Secretary
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I watched an interview Katie Curic did with both Sen and Mrs. Edwards lst night.

I was left with the impression he is doing this for her. Hard to explain...but the impression I had. She wants him to do it and she does NOT want the reason he doesn't run to be her. Maybe it is his way to make her feel alive with a future.

Such a sad story. Such young children and really...she doesn't look so good.... :( :(

critter crazy
03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I saw the interview with Katie Curic as well, and I also got the impression, that she is wanting John to run. And he is doing it to make her happy. I guess she feels, that even tho she is sick, she dosent want to hold him back.

If they are up for it, it is totaly up to them. i think she is a very strong woman, and knows what she wants!

Marigold2
03-26-2007, 07:27 PM
A great lady. Yes I think he should run. It's something to work towards, something positive, something to look forward to.

LilacDragon
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
From everything that I have heard and read, they are very close and are the type to make these sorts of decisions together.

If she is ok with it, then yes, he should. Now, if he was out campaigning and she was sitting in a hospital dying - that would be a completely different story.

Pam
03-27-2007, 05:07 AM
From what I initially heard the prognosis is not very good over time. Should he win he would have four years (at least) to serve in the White House and I am imagining that in that amount of time her health would be on the decline. I watched my own sister-in-law suffer and die from cancer over a period of years and know how much my brother's constant presence (he is retired and was able to be with her constantly) meant to her. She often told him that without him around she couldn't go on. Cancer is a horrific disease. My heart breaks for her and the entire family.

mugsy
03-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I think it's his decision along with his wife's. My opinion doesn't matter one iota! lol They need to do what is right for them at this moment.

ramanth
03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I also caught part of the interview with Couric and I must say she's adament that he run. What a brave woman.

lizbud
03-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I did not see the interview, but wish I had.I believe they have both made
the decision that it right for them. I wish them both all the luck in the world.

I don't know one cancer survivor who thinks dropping out of life is the right
attitude to take in fighting this terrible disease. I'm sure John would drive her
crazy by constantly doting on her every pain. They don't seem the type to
live this way.

I read this morning that Tony Snow, the White House press guy, has heard
that his cancer is back & has spread to his liver. :( I don't know how he will
react to this terrible news, but I pray he doesn't just give up on life either.

lvpets2002
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
:) Well I think they both decided together on his running.. Now remember running is not stating he is Elected yet.. I know her cancer is incurable -but who to say how long she has or hasnt.. I do feel that if he is Elected & in office & she gets worse & or ect. this could take his mind off of his office duties.. But there has been other Officals in office with family medical problems..

Reachoutrescue
03-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I feel he should not run, but take care of his sick wife...who has always been there for him. Now he needs to be there for her...just my opinion though.

sparks19
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I really think they should do what they want to do.... my only concern is that if he is elected and her health declines rapidly... will he be able to perform both duties as a husband and a president. both are very time consuming duties and I fear he would have to choose one over the other .... In which case OF COURSE I would hope he chooses his wife but either way someone is going to suffer for it :(

Cancer is a terrible disease for everyone involved.

mugsy
03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Our secretary at school had breast cancer in 1994 or 5 and then came here to Shawnee and in Dec '95 it showed up in the sternum. She used a technique using stem cells and had a bone marrow transplant.They gave her a 10% chance of living for 5 years. She was cancer free until last year and they are using new treatments and she is still working and looks great! There's no accounting for this insidious disease.

joycenalex
03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
heck yes he should run.....how many people of limited means have to keep working despite a spouses' diagnosis of breast mets? there is a local celebrity here in columbus, stephanie speelman(spelling of last name?). she was diagnosed with breast cancer in the late 1990s. her husband chris speelman works as a coach a local professional football coach. cancer, caught early can be a condition you LIVE with. run, john run.

wombat2u2004
03-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Our secretary at school had breast cancer in 1994 or 5 and then came here to Shawnee and in Dec '95 it showed up in the sternum. She used a technique using stem cells and had a bone marrow transplant.They gave her a 10% chance of living for 5 years. She was cancer free until last year and they are using new treatments and she is still working and looks great! There's no accounting for this insidious disease.

Yes, that is true. The nature of that disease is very different in most people.
Some people go down really quickly, others live many many years. Even tho their quality of life suffers, the pain can usually be managed.
From what I have read here, it seems that she wants him to run.....so why not.....give it a whirl.
Wombat

Logan
03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
What I would do, were I John Edwards, is a different path that he and his wife have chosen to take. I think it is great that she is so supportive of his goals, but they have very young children, plus the campaigning, let alone the role of the First Lady is very, very taxing.

I am going to keep her in my prayers, and hope that she can hold up to the pressure that is going to be heaped on her and her family.

wombat2u2004
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
What I would do, were I John Edwards, is a different path that he and his wife have chosen to take. I think it is great that she is so supportive of his goals, but they have very young children, plus the campaigning, let alone the role of the First Lady is very, very taxing.

I am going to keep her in my prayers, and hope that she can hold up to the pressure that is going to be heaped on her and her family.

True. But I'm sure they will have all the support they need from without the family. I know it's not the same......but if it is what they want...then ok.
But if it were me.....I'd go your way....I'd be with my family, and spend quality time with the little thats left.
Wom

sparks19
03-27-2007, 06:27 PM
True. But I'm sure they will have all the support they need from without the family. I know it's not the same......but if it is what they want...then ok.
But if it were me.....I'd go your way....I'd be with my family, and spend quality time with the little thats left.
Wom

I agree....

I mean.... I don't think opting to for go the race this year is ending your life because of cancer... but I think I would definately want to be able to do what I want whenever i want with my loved one if they had limited time left..... that is just how I would feel about it

BUT if this is what she wants then I guess he should go for it.

cassiesmom
03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
I agree with reachoutrescue that he needs to be there for her ... how good are his chances of winning? If he withdrew and tried again 4 years from now, would he still have a good chance to win? I heard on the news tonight that the White House press secretary also has a recurrence of cancer.