PDA

View Full Version : Beau is at the vet..Update page 3

Glacier
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Just got home from dropping Beau off at the vet clinic. Last night he was very talkative. He is prone to telling me off on a regular basis, but this was excessive. I couldn't figure out what he wanted and it wasn't his usual grumpy voice.

Watching him today, he seemed to be very concerned about water. There are water dishes all over the house. Beau was pacing between them. He'd sit by a dish and yowl. It looked like he wanted to drink, but couldn't or wouldn't. He is usually a very big water drinker.

Given his age and the already fragile state of his health, my vet recommended just bringing him in for the afternoon. I'm hoping he just needs some fluids. Maybe his kidney funtion has gotten a bit worse and we're at the point I'll have to do fluids at home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats%202007/beauboy.jpg
Could you send some good vibes to my old boy? Thanks.

Catty1
03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Awww...beautiful Beau! I hope you feel better soon...you vet cares a lot about you, and your meowmie loves you!

Wishing you a lot more time for lovin' and squawkin' with your family! :)

DrKym
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Good thoughts and prayers on their way!

Grace
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Lots of prayers headed north for Beau.

momcat
03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh no! I am so very sorry to hear that Beau isn't feeling well. Prayers are being prayed that Beau's problem is minor and easily treated. I'm sure he's waiting less than patiently for you to come and take him home.
When Beau is up to it, please give him some feel better sctitchies and smoochies from me? Please keep us updated?

Freedom
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Dear Beau - we are all sending prayers up to you so that you will feel better and be back home quickly.

Glacier
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Dr. Candace just called--we like her! Her hubby is a good friend of Stuart's. She is very gentle and calm. The critters all respond well to her.

Beau is dehydrated--duh! They are giving him some sub-q fluids. That doesn't appear to be the biggest problem though. He has a sore inside his mouth and some infection in his gums, plus a bladder infection. He is not blocked and can pee on his own--he was nice enough to pee on Candace when she squeezed his bladder! She says all the infections are likely related to his reduced kidney function. He'll need some antibiotics for awhile.

No wonder he fought so much when I opened his mouth to pill him last night! He's not normally thrilled with the process, but he doesn't freak out usually! I'd freak out too if someone tried to open my mouth when I had a big sore on my gums!

They are doing more fluids right now. I can pick him up right around 6pm, when the clinic closes.

Medusa
03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Ok then, good news over all. Whew! Good for Beau and you.

Grace
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
The best kind of Vet visit - short and sweet.

What can you do about the sore in his mouth?

Cinder & Smoke
03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
:eek:
:(
GOSH, that was Quick!
You guys must have gotten in the Express Line at the Clinic!

Sorry to hear it's serious, but glad it's not life-threatening if treated.
Did Doc have any suggestions about the pills for the next few days?
I can understand how pushing pills into a sore mouth probably doesn't feel
all that great. :( Hope he's allowed a few Tastey Treets!

Oh - and THANKS, God! ;)

Bengalz
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Poor ole Beau - as if gettin old wasn't bad enough :rolleyes: Sure hope the subq's and meds work fast for the dear boy - so he can feel much better and get on with stuff ;)

Good to know he's not real shy about letting Mom know there's a problem - that's a smart kitty ;)

jennielynn1970
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Poor old boy! And he's such a handsome guy! Hope the sores in his mouth heal quickly, and that the kidney functions get better. Give him some hugs and scritchies for me.

Glacier
03-26-2007, 09:35 PM
:eek:
:(
GOSH, that was Quick!
You guys must have gotten in the Express Line at the Clinic!

Did Doc have any suggestions about the pills for the next few days?
Hope he's allowed a few Tastey Treets!

While doing my taxes last week, I added up the vet bills. If you knew the total, you would understand why I get such amazing service! :eek: There are some benefits to signing your paycheque over to the vet--no need for an app't, no waiting in line!

She gave me liquid antibiotics and I can crush his tapazole into squishy food, if he'll take it that way. She didn't think it was a huge deal if he missed a couple tapazole doses at this point. As Dr. Rick put it a few weeks ago, Beau is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we treat his kidneys more aggressively, his thryoid numbers skyrocket. The better controlled his thyroid is, the worse his kidneys get!

Beau eats nothing but tasty treats! I try to get him to eat renal food, but he will only eat Royal Canin Renal and not very consistently. I have my Mom buy his favorite food and send it up to him. It's a brand I can't buy up here. The shipping costs more than the food, but he really likes it!

krazyaboutkatz
03-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Beau's having problems again.:( I hope he'll feel better soon.

Cinder & Smoke
03-27-2007, 01:22 AM
While doing my taxes last week, I added up the vet bills.
If you knew the total, you would understand why I get such amazing service! :eek:
There are some benefits to signing your paycheque over to the vet --
no need for an app't, no waiting in line!

Beau eats nothing but tasty treats!

Treet Up, Beau! ;)

Vet "bills"?
Look at it this way - you're Investing in Good Service! :D
You should have quite a few shares of Vet Stock by now.

And most of us will never have their Vets' New Wing addition named for us! :)

:D

orangemm
03-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Sweet Beau, I hope you are feeling much better by now; what a smart boy your were to alert your meowmie to your problem!

Feel better, do what meowmie says so you can get back to your old self again.

Hugs and scritches to you!

Barbara
03-27-2007, 05:04 AM
I am glad to hear Beau is "only" dehydrated. I am sure he is feeling much better already.
I am sorry about your vet bills. Looking at the headcount of your fur family I can develop a rough idea about it.

Since Filou is getting renal food both of our boys have become very spoíled. And Royal Canin seem to be the only ones that manage to get a taste in cats like- even Tigris likes the dry food. But of course Filou tries to sneak in and get any treat or rest of butter from the plate or salmon or.................

All our best thoughts for Beau- he looks so heartbreaking old and cute.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Hope you start to feel better soon Beau. You are a lucky boy that meowmie understands you purrfectly ;)

Queen of Poop
03-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Prayers for Beau. I hope you're feeling all better very soon sweet boy. Hugs for you.

Lobodeb
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Poor Beau. You're so smart for telling meowmie that something is wrong though, good boy!

I hope you feel better soon, sweetie.

Randi
03-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I hope the fluids and medicine will help make sweet Beau feel a lot better! He certainly was smart enough to alert his mom. Hopefully he'll like his food, although it has medicine in it - at least it's liquid.

Get better soon, sweet Beau!

Edwina's Secretary
03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I, too am most impressed he let you know he wasn't feeling well. I have read cats hide when unwell so every time I cannot find Edwina right away...and discover her in some hidey place I get all worried.

Good boy Beau-beau!

Donnaj4962
03-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I am so glad that Beau is getting the treatment that he needs to feel better. How smart that he was letting you know that he wasn't feeling well! What a good boy! Sounds like he was good at the vets also! Peeing as he was supposed to! (Well, maybe not on the vet....) :rolleyes:

Keep getting better Beau!

momcat
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
How is Beau doing today? Groucho and I hope he's feeling much better and taking his meds with no problems. Get better headbumpies and scritchies for Beau being sent from his Trenton fans.....

Glacier
03-28-2007, 03:06 PM
How is Beau doing today? Groucho and I hope he's feeling much better and taking his meds with no problems.

He seems to be improving. He was not good at all yesterday--very quiet, hardly moved, didn't eat much. I was going to take him back into today if he didn't improve, but I think he has. I managed to get his tapazole into him last night and that seems to have helped. Today he's sleeping in his usual spot, not hiding. He's yowled at me a couple times and told me off when I gave him his meds. I wouldn't say he's taking them with no problems, but he's taking them!

He's not eating as much as usual, but he is eating some squishy food. I've been giving him some Cat Milk. He laps that right up. At least it gets some calories into him.

Thanks for thinking of him.

Cinder & Smoke
03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
He seems to be improving.

Thanks for thinking of him.

"Thinking of him"? ...

We're all still PURRAYING for him! ;)

Feel BETTER, Mr. Beau!!

Randi
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm so glad to hear Beau is feeling better, eating and taking his medicine - although resistant.

Keep it up Beau, you're a gorgeous boy!

kb2yjx
03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Prayers for Beau and hugs for Mom!!!

Glacier
03-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, in the last couple hours, I've seen him eating twice. He's demanded food on the kitchen counter once. He gets fed up there so the other cats leave him alone. He didn't eat much of his food up there, but at least he wanted it. I bought a new cardboard scratcher a few days ago. They are Beau's favorite. I just saw him ripping it up! :D

Cinder & Smoke
03-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, so far Mr. Beau has:

* Demanded & Eaten food

* Displayed some CatAtude

* Worked out in the gym ...

Sounds like a Kat On the Mend!
Keep Feeling Better, Mr. Beau!!
;)

Sevaede
03-29-2007, 04:34 AM
*hugs*

Sorry my reply is late. :(

Glad to hear that Beau is doing better! Hoorah! :D

CultureJunky
03-29-2007, 06:19 AM
I missed this about Beau, as I've been away from the PC for a few days.
I'm glad you're on the mend Beau, we do love you on Pet Talk, and I love to see pictures of your wise old face. I am so glad you are getting better, hang on in there, there are many who think you're wonderful.
I hope your sore mouth gets better soon.
Thinking of you...Kate xx

orangemm
03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Keep up the good work, Beau! Eat some more for your meowmie; you know she worries about you (like all of us).

Hugs & prayers...............

Glacier
03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Woo HOoooo! About ten minutes ago, for the first time in days, Beau gave me his very distinct "FEED ME NOW HUMAN" meow, jumped up on the kitchen counter on his own and proceeded to wolf down almost half a can of his favorite food. That's a normal serving for him and the most he's eaten in days! :D I think, hope, pray we've turned the corner and he's on the way back to as healthy as Beau can get!

cassiesmom
03-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Attaboy, Beau! Keep up the good work! (After your hoomin feeds you, and you've eaten, give her a nice kitty breath thank you kiss!)

Catty1
03-29-2007, 10:51 PM
You go, Beau!

Great news!

There's a lot more lovin' he wants yet, and he's sticking around for it. :)

Medusa
03-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Woo hoo is right! Excellent news! Yeah, Beau!

krazyaboutkatz
03-29-2007, 11:55 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D

Barbara
03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
This is just some very happy news!
Way to go Beau! :D

catmandu
03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
As Micheal has been under the weather as well I know what you are going through.
Like Beau my older Cats feeling a whole lot better now and is eating and drinking normally.
Hes sendind a Senior Kittyzen MEEEEOOOWWW to Beau, and hopes that Beaus recovered soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats101537.jpg