PDA

View Full Version : Help with animal and renting issues

Muddy4paws
03-25-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm (hopefully!) moving out soon, I live with my parents as I'm 19 and me and my boyfriend are looking into renting out a place near my work.. We aren't having trouble finding anywhere and we have viewed a few that we didn't like that much either.

The trouble is alot of places that are out for renting dont allow ANY pets and I think its going to kill me! I've always have a zoo around me! I wouldn't take my dogs with me because they are family pets and they are too used to the whole routine of the house but I have got 2 rats which are my babies! :o I belong to a uk based rat forum and alot of people say they are not legally allowed rats in their property because their landlord doesn't agree and some say I should lie and say I got a hamster or caged animals but I dont want to do something like that because I like to be honest with people!

:( I really dont know what to do, I know they will have a loving home with my parents but they dont give them enough interaction and "free time" which they are used to. I cant rehome them because it will drive me crazy wondering how they are and if they are being treated ok, It seems stupid but I've got such a strong bond with these 2 rats, I'm kind of stuck I need to move out of my parents house but I really cant see me being able to take them with me. :(

Sorry its so long I needed to get it out of my system, Any ideas, advice would be very appreciated

Freedom
03-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, I'm not sure what the rental market is like where you are.

Around here, there are many openings just now, and the large complexes are all advertising "pet friendly." Not the two families, just the large places. Maybe that would help?

Also, the Sunday paper has the most ads, and they will put right in the ad if they acccept pets. Saves time looking at a place and then finding out it is not suitable.

It is difficult with pets, for sure.

Catty1
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Sometimes the SPCA or other societies have a list of pet-friendly apartments.

you can also Google pet friendly apartments for your area, and see what you find. You'd be surprised!

NicoleLJ
03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Another thing you can do that has worked for me in teh past was to write a resume for your pets. One for each. Put their picture at the top of it and then write the resume as if they are applying for a job. Make it fun and enjoyable to read. Have some of their good points as being clean, well trained and so on. I also like to list tricks they can do. At the bottom have a list of references that can be phoned to not only back up the resume and how the pets behave but also how well you care for them.

I know it sounds silly but it has always worked. It gets your foot in the door. Puts a smile on teh landlords face and is honest. Many places I stayed in did not allow pets but this always seemed to change the landlords mind. Either way references for pets is a very good idea. Just an idea for you that worked for me.
Nicole

Catty1
03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Nicole's idea is great...get a letter from your vet, if possible.

Also - how about posting ads for the type of place you want? That way, if someone calls you, they know you have animals and have references for them.

Let us know how you do!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
some say I should lie and say I got a hamster or caged animals but I dont want to do something like that because I like to be honest with people!
You should definitely be honest with your landlord. Telling your landlord that you have caged pets isn't a lie though. My sister-in-law lived in an apartment with 4 parakeets and the landlord had no problem with her having them. He knew that they were "caged animals" that often came out of their cage and he was fine with that. If you find an apartment that allows caged pets I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I think they mostly don't want pets like dogs or cats that are free roaming 100% of the time.

Karen
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Many leases, if you read them, say "no cats or dogs" and having the ratties might be okay. I'd just be up front, but say "small animals" or "little furries, they're always in their cage" as some people are biased against the word "rats" and don't know they can be great pets. Also, if a lease says "no fish tanks," you can say "would the tank be okay if it doesn't have water in it?" if you have tanks for part of your rattie's homes, because most landlard's objections are to that quantity of water and the potential for problems that way.

Keep looking, and if you fall in love with a place, you can always ask, even volunteer to bring over your rat for an "interview" if the person seems unsure, so they can charm the future landlord with their cuteness, whiskers and cleanliness.

crow_noir
03-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Exactly!

Another thing you can do that has worked for me in teh past was to write a resume for your pets.

Here's an article i read a few days ago! I was going to post this in the Pet forum.

Take a Rat to Dinner
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/opinion/16shaw.html

NicoleLJ
03-25-2007, 11:39 PM
The link says you have to be a member to view it.
Nicole

Karen
03-26-2007, 01:42 AM
The link says you have to be a member to view it.
Nicole

Yes, but it's free to become a member, and doesn't even make you click on an "activation link" to read the articl, so you can put in fake info if you want.

Muddy4paws
03-26-2007, 02:42 AM
I love the idea of a cv for my boys! :D my boys really are so well behaved so I could understand if they were naughty but their cage is always kitted out with new toys and treats for them to find so they keep themselves busy really. They are litter trained and I walk them on their harnesses if I know there is any chance of them getting out of the room, I didn't think about posting an advert about myself, I will to that right after work tonight!! :D

Do you think its worth mentioning that I'm willing to put down a deposit for them both or seperatly? or should I keep quiet unless someone mentions it?

I cant view that link for the rats but I will tonight! I got to get to work!! :o :)

king2005
03-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I've always told my landlords that I have small caged animals in a secure cage they cannot escape & if they accidently got out of my hands, I have traps to catch them in, live & kill traps (just say it as its no big deal, don't actually use the kill ones!!!!!!!!!)... I also tell landlords that I use the rats for breeding feeders (which is true) & thats why I have little issues with kill traps (so not true, I had a rat free in my bedroom for 2 weeks & I refused to actually trap her, I just huntered her down & caught her!!!!)

Its not lying, its just not telling the whole truth... BUT your letting them know you "have" rodents & your willing to do anything to keep them caged & not be a problem.

Also state your animal care, as you clean the cage 2x/week or more to make sure there is no smell & that you use Alpine shavings (or something good quality like that) to also help keep any possible smells down.

Chad my roommate HATES HATES HATES the fact that I have rats in the house, only because at the last place I was in they smalled a little. The only reason it smelled was because I was too scared to go home & only went home once a weeks, to feed, water, & clean my animals (I have massive water bottles to insure they never ran out!!)... SO Chad gave me a warning. I can keep my rats as long as there is never a smell!!... I've been there 3 months now & still no smell :D Alpine shavings rock, & so does an open window & a cage designed for 8 adult Rats & I have 2 lol :D

Best of luck eh :D

mike001
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
The only "pets" landlords object to where we live are cats and dogs. Many people have rats, gerbils, etc with no problems. I would look for a place you like and then mention your furballs to the landlord, even offering to bring them over for a show and tell session. Reassure him/her that they stay in a cage and are never left loose when you are out. Most landlords seem okay with this. Show your knowledge about these pets by explaining everything about their habits and care to the landlord so it will show you are responsible and serious about them. I'm not too sure about the resume as it might make you look a bit eccentric, which would be reason enough for a lanlord to refuse to rent to you. They have their hands full of eccentrics as it is and would avoid you in favour of a more mature person. One young person I know is renting without a problem and his pet is a tarantula, which would make me think twice since I freak at any kind of spider...lol...

king2005
03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
One young person I know is renting without a problem and his pet is a tarantula, which would make me think twice since I freak at any kind of spider...lol...

heheh I have 2 adult rats, 6 young/baby rats & a tarantula :D cannot forget about my 30lb snapping turtle, foot long crazy killer fish, the betta & the 150lb (if not lighter, shes loosing so much weight WOOHOO!) Rottweiler :D

mike001
03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
A snapping turtle that doesn't eat your tarantula? And a tarantula that doesn't go after the wee ratties? What a combination, he he he.