PDA

View Full Version : We have a Dog Park!!!

kimlovescats
03-25-2007, 12:52 PM
All this time I have been admiring the others on here that have local Dog Parks and I just found out that we have one here now! Yesterday my daughter Amanda and I tried to take Kenny. Well, he was not good there at all! He snarled and bared his teeth at any dog that tried to say "hi" to him. Finally we decided to leave when he snapped at one dog's nose. :( I guess he is just an old man who doesn't want to be bothered. :confused: I feel so bad for him, because I really wanted him to be able to run and get some exercise ... his weight has gotten out of control. :(

Well, on a better note, we took Kenny right back home and got Dottie instead! Needless to say, she had a BLAST! The big dog section was under repair, so all the dogs (large and small) were in one fence. Every dog there immediately ran over to our little Dottie and just loved her. She was so adorable ... whenever we lost track of her we just looked for a circle of dogs and she was always right in the middle. Many times, she was lying on her back being "examined" ... tail going 100 miles a minute the whole time. :D She spent lots of time going to every human out there too, demanding attention. I think most everyone out there picked her up at least once. ;)
They had a water fountain and two big tubs for water, and since many of the dogs preferred to "swim" in the tubs ... the entire surrounding area was a mud swamp! :eek: So, needless to say, Dottie got a bit dirty! :p I wish I had taken my camera, but I didn't this time. I will be sure to on our next expedition!

Kim

IRescue452
03-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Hooray for doggie parks!! We have two within a mile of our house now. They're popping up everywhere. Its a great place to get exercise for people and puppies alike. Too bad about Kenny though. Maybe on a less crowded day he'd do better?

Freedom
03-25-2007, 01:05 PM
What fun! Oh yes, please do take some photos of Dear Dottie being a little social butterfly!!!

We don't have anything so nice around here. I am considering 2 options but Sugar is so afraid of other dogs that I need to work on her socialization skills before we get to the park stage.

Annabelle will LOVE it in her cart, and Greta will enjoy being outside as well. Hope you get Annabelle her cart soon, it will GREATLY improve her quality of life!

Great find!

ChrisH
03-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Sounds like great fun! :D

And Kim, aren't we overdue more doggy pictures? :)

critter crazy
03-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Awww....I wish I had one!:(

Kalei
03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Dog Parks sound like alot of fun. I wish we had one around here. Haha I bet little Dottie was dirty enough to have a bath;)

I can't wait to see pictures of this dog park sometime!

Ginger's Mom
03-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like fun. I love going to the dog parks near us. It always makes both of us feel so much better. I don't know about around your area, Kim, but when I have a dog I am not sure of around other dogs I take him/her to the dog park at about between 10:00-11:00 in the morning. The pen is very often empty at that time, so your dog can run and play without worrying about how he might react with other dogs.

cyber-sibes
03-26-2007, 06:54 AM
That's very exciting! If you kep an eye on it, there are usually times wen few or no dogs are there, maybe Kenny would be more open to giving it a try then. once he gets used to it, he'l love it! Plus, it often takes "newcomer" a while to get used to all the sniffing & greeting they get, but after a while, they'll be right in there checking out the other "newcomers" :) It's such a good experience for them.

ramanth
03-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm so happy for you!

Andy had to work Saturday morning, so I took the dogs to a dog park near his job. It was Chipper's first time there and he did great. He has a bit of a mounting issue, :o but the other dogs never told him no. Just me. :rolleyes:

kimlovescats
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone, I will definitely get pictures next time. We went on Saturday, so I'm sure it was at maximum capacity. I will try Kenny again on a week day when maybe there will be quite a bit fewer dogs there! ;)

Freedom: AnnaBelle has never taken to other dogs, except her buddy Gretta. She is extra defensive now because of her handicap. I'm afraid she would get knocked over in a cart. Gretta might do ok at the park, but I'm not sure. I would hate to take her and leave AnnaBelle at home though ... they are so very bonded.

shais_mom
03-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Keegan is apprehensive when she meets new dogs in a new surrounding too. She gets a bit touchy with other dogs b/c of her hips.
RE: Kenny's weight - have you had his thyroid checked recently? Also - is he free fed? If not, cut back on his food - to what he SHOULD weigh. If he is free fed - feed him twice a day cutting his food back - if he doesn't eat it within 10-15 minutes pick it up and save it for later. I feed Keegan raw and if she hasn't eaten with in 10-15 the food goes away until the next day. She gets fed once a day. Keegan has packed on some weight too so I need to follow my own advice!! :eek: It is very hard to free feed retrievers and it is even harder to keep most of them at their ideal weight b/c they are usually chow hounds! :)

kimlovescats
03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Keegan is apprehensive when she meets new dogs in a new surrounding too. She gets a bit touchy with other dogs b/c of her hips.
RE: Kenny's weight - have you had his thyroid checked recently? Also - is he free fed? If not, cut back on his food - to what he SHOULD weigh. If he is free fed - feed him twice a day cutting his food back - if he doesn't eat it within 10-15 minutes pick it up and save it for later. I feed Keegan raw and if she hasn't eaten with in 10-15 the food goes away until the next day. She gets fed once a day. Keegan has packed on some weight too so I need to follow my own advice!! :eek: It is very hard to free feed retrievers and it is even harder to keep most of them at their ideal weight b/c they are usually chow hounds! :)

No, Kenny has never been free fed. He gets fed twice per day and inhales it in 2 seconds flat! :eek: You would think that he is starving! :rolleyes: Gosh, I'd hate to think he could only get it once per day! This is why I was really hoping he would enjoy the dog park, so he would get more exercise. We tried walking on a leash. Ummmm..... he loves to go, but I spend my whole time being tripped and slammed into by a very large boy! :p Also, he is TERRIFIED of cars! If one just starts down the street, he panics and starts pulling and running, which is not a good thing with a huge dog, and weakling on the other end of the lead! :D

shais_mom
03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
No, Kenny has never been free fed. He gets fed twice per day and inhales it in 2 seconds flat! :eek: You would think that he is starving! :rolleyes: Gosh, I'd hate to think he could only get it once per day! This is why I was really hoping he would enjoy the dog park, so he would get more exercise. We tried walking on a leash. Ummmm..... he loves to go, but I spend my whole time being tripped and slammed into by a very large boy! :p Also, he is TERRIFIED of cars! If one just starts down the street, he panics and starts pulling and running, which is not a good thing with a huge dog, and weakling on the other end of the lead! :D
ahhh
well
it was a good thought!!!
;)
maybe just get his thyroid checked next time he's going to the Vet....
Keegan packed on the weight before I switched her to RAW so I know it isn't b/c of that.... She is going to the vet in a couple weeks - so they will run her thyroid test (yearly) again....

kimlovescats
03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Yea, I'll suggest that AFTER I get fussed at for his weight gain! :p

shais_mom
03-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Yea, I'll suggest that AFTER I get fussed at for his wait gain! :p
ooohhh but if you suggest it before then MAYBE just MAYBE you won't get fussed at all!!! ;) :p