PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players....

RobiLee
03-24-2007, 01:45 PM
I am thinking of treating myself today and I want some type of mp3 player. What does everyone have, do you recommend it and is it easy to use? My son is suggesting I get the Ipod Nano. I looked at Walmart and it is $200 and I'm not for sure if I want to spend that much money.

Help me make a decision, please!

joycenalex
03-24-2007, 02:28 PM
i have an ipod 30 gig. pricy, and i love it. it's easy to use. i do think the cheap ear buds aren't very good, and i upgraded. maybe after tax refund time you can ebay or check the local pawnshop or local paper for a better deal.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I personally love iPods.... but I understand you not wanting to spend all that money on one. I have a pink iPod nano, and I LOVE it! They are so easy to use! Good luck on your decision! ;)

Uabassoon
03-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I bought a Sansa sandisk (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1205)-SDMX3-1024-Sansa_m240_1GB_MP3_Player.aspx) for my dad this past Xmas. He loves it, he has the 1 gb and it holds over 200 songs. He says the great thing about it is that it so easy to use, much more so an something like an ipod shuffle. It look me about 5 minutes of showing him how to add music to it and then we were done and he didn't need my help anymore. The quality also sounds great, it runs on AAA batteries which last forever and all of this for a price less than $70.

The other MP3 player that I would reccomend is the Zen Nano (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Nano-Plus-Player-Black/dp/B0009F4OR6) , it's a little more expensive, but just as good.

I've had an ipod nano before and loved it, however when it was stolen in England this summer I decided that it wasn't worth it to spend that much money when I could get something just as good for cheaper. If you want to organize all your albums and need to play more than 500 songs then the Nano would be great for you. However if you just want something small, easy to use and plays music then it just isn't worth the money.

Now that I have an MP3 player jack in my car and I'm using it all the time and would like to have a greater music storage capacity I'm reconsidering getting an ipod. But my half the price MP3 player has been great for things like trips or working out.

*iluvskipper*
03-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I have an Ipod Nano, and I love it sooo much... My phone has mp3 player but I don't like it as much because it only plays files with the Mp3 format so if I would buy songs from itunes they don't work on it because they aren't the mp3 format... So yeah I guess maybe it would depend on the mp3 player but I would suggest the Ipod...

Cincy'sMom
03-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I bought Ralph an Insigna MP3 Player for Christmas. I believe that is the Best Buy brand. They were a little chepaer then the IPOD (only $100), it is compatable wth more forms of Windows (many require XP) and had a memory card slot for additional storage. He really likes his and uses it for both music and movies. I also gto him a FM transmitter, since the van has only a cassette player and no MP3 jack.

shais_mom
03-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi sweets! ;)
I started out with the second generation shuffle. It was the size of a cig lighter. It was the one that had the lanyard to wear around your neck. I loved it - it could fit in the strap of my bra with no problem! ;)
I wanted to play it in my car and it wouldn't work with the cable I bought http://www.shopallmonster.com/mp3/
So I sold it to a coworker - (it help 120 songs) and upgraded to the 4 gig silver IPOD NANO. I LOVE IT!!! It plays in my car I use it more in the car than with the earphones. It holds I think 1000 songs. I paid $200 for it plus the extra warranty. I got mine at best buy. I found ipod skins on ebay got 3 for $10 to give it a more personalized look. I bought the JVC earbuds - they were like $20 - and they are very tinny. I plugged in the ipod ones and didn't change the volume and hit play and seriously the sound difference knocked me into the wall!!! I jumped back! I couldn't believe it! But I've heard that sony ones are really good tho.

The nano is easy to use once you get passed the initial startup. If you want a simple one - I'd go for the ipod shuffle 2nd generation - the one that clips - I think that is the coolest feature! I wish this one did that! But you can get a 'bigger and better' one for just a bit more money. My brother in law has a Zen I think and loves it. I bought my 10 year old nephew a cheap RCA model at Walmart for $35 for Christmas. It runs on AA batteries instead of recharging off the computer like the ipods. It held like 150 songs but the memory card someone bought my sister for her camera fit in it and so it held ???????? songs... he LOVES it. My sister got him an ipal to plug in and play off it.
My nano was acting weird the other nite so I got online and looked up the instructions and it said to reboot it so I followed the instructions and it's been acting fine.
The only thing that I struggled with - and still am - is downloading songs from other sites other than ITUNES. I am just not computer literate enough to figger it out. I have uploaded all the songs that I wanted from every CD I own to it plus several ITUNES songs and have less than 400 songs on it. Uploading CD's to it was really easy I thought. You just have to make sure you sync it and transfer the songs to your playlist. After I bought the shuffle I was like "I'll never buy a CD again unless I want the whole thing- most of my cd's are for one song - for .99 I can buy it off itunes - upload it to the ipod and still play it in my car." If I could figger out who to do it from the 'free sites' I'd be even better! lol
good luck and let us know what you find!

wolf_Q
03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I have an iPod, I was suckered into buying it because it was the U2 special edition one. :o This was before the video ones came out, its just a normal music one...20 gig I think. I love it, I take it with me walking all the time. I have 1246 songs and that's only taking up 4.86 gigs. I personally would just get the regular iPod as (don't quote me on this, I may be wrong) the nano/shuffle/mini ones generally cost as much but with less space for songs. I'd rather have lots of songs on mine, then have it be smaller...mine, in a case, fits in my pocket just fine...but that is my preference, you may want the smaller size. *edit~See here http://www.ipods.net/ipod.php The 15 gig and the 4 gig mini are the same price, so I guess it depends whether you value looks or amount of songs*

I have never had any problems with mine. This is the only MP3 player I have had so I can't compare, but its user friendly and mine has worked well. The only problem I have is the iTrip to play it in the car is pathetic, the only time I've been able to find a station quiet enough to play it well is when I'm in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: There's probably something better available now to play it in a car, right?

Karen
03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
I have an iPod and love it. I never thought I wanted one, but got it for a gift, and I just love it! :) The earbuds are annoying for me, because I only need one, and the other ends up getting tangled around things, so I bought a cheapo set and chopped one off.

shais_mom
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
only problem I have is the iTrip to play it in the car is pathetic, the only time I've been able to find a station quiet enough to play it well is when I'm in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: There's probably something better available now to play it in a car, right?
ohhhh yea Amy -
there are other ways to play the ipod now other than the FM tuner types (I have one too) it just depends on how much you want to spend.....
:)

king2005
03-25-2007, 01:33 AM
I have the Samsung K5 (4G). I got it for xmas from work (I work for Samsung lol)... It has an FM tuner, Alarm clock, Photo Viewer, MP3 Player, & 2 speakers!! Its about the size of a cell phone (not those super thin ones, as the speakers aren't that tiny lol)... The earphones are awesome!!! SO clear, LOUD, man is this player ever loud! Super easy to use & stylish...

However its not cheap as its top quality. Retail is about 300.00 :eek:

Wanna know something funny, many of the Ipod parts are Samsung parts lol SO Ipods are good quality aswell lol :D

BitsyNaceyDog
03-25-2007, 10:53 AM
The only problem I have is the iTrip to play it in the car is pathetic, the only time I've been able to find a station quiet enough to play it well is when I'm in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: There's probably something better available now to play it in a car, right? I think it depends on your car too. My iTrip worked great in my old car, but it never worked well in my husband's truck, it also doesn't work well in my new van. My van has both a CD player and a tape player so we got a tape player adapter use that with the iPod.

I too have only had an iPod so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I will say that I do love my iPod. Both my husband and I have had our iPods for 3 years and we use them regularly- they still work great!

critter crazy
03-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Call me silly, but what do you do with an MP3 player?? How do you add music, and do you have to pay for the songs? I have never had one obviously, and dont even know anyone who does. :confused:

shais_mom
03-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Call me silly, but what do you do with an MP3 player?? How do you add music, and do you have to pay for the songs? I have never had one obviously, and dont even know anyone who does. :confused:
I can only answer for myself - as I use itunes or my own cd's. You can join itunes - put your cd in the cd drive on your computer - it opens the cd with a list of songs. Import the ones you want and add them to the playlist. Itunes- find the song you want - listen to it to make certain it is the one you want and you can purchase it via paypal OR you can get an itunes giftcard at just about any store now and enter that number to it and it then you have that amount in songs. I did that and think I will keep doing that rather than paypal b/c I took my cc off paypal... Songs are .99 and videos are 1.99. I tried using limewire but couldn't get the song to sync on my ipod and it gave me such a headache I said 'Forget it' and just use itunes now. :)

Kalei
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I must still be in the old days cause I still use my discman. I love buying original cds and movies and whatnot.

critter crazy
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
I can only answer for myself - as I use itunes or my own cd's. You can join itunes - put your cd in the cd drive on your computer - it opens the cd with a list of songs. Import the ones you want and add them to the playlist. Itunes- find the song you want - listen to it to make certain it is the one you want and you can purchase it via paypal OR you can get an itunes giftcard at just about any store now and enter that number to it and it then you have that amount in songs. I did that and think I will keep doing that rather than paypal b/c I took my cc off paypal... Songs are .99 and videos are 1.99. I tried using limewire but couldn't get the song to sync on my ipod and it gave me such a headache I said 'Forget it' and just use itunes now. :)
Ok I just dont get why you would spend hundreds of dollars on something, just to continiue to pay for every song you listen to??? seems to not make any sense at all! I must be old fashioned, or just plain stingy with my money!:eek:

shais_mom
03-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I suppose that is a good point but you (in theory not necessarily you) are still buying a cd player(cheap or expensive), discman, stereo, car etc and spending $15 (or more) on a cd to play in it. So to me in the long run I would probably save money b/c I usually was buying a whole cd for one or 2 songs.... :) And if I like 15 songs at .99 a piece is still cheaper than buying 12-15 cd's at $15 a piece!!! :o :eek: :eek: :o

critter crazy
03-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I suppose that is a good point but you (in theory not necessarily you) are still buying a cd player(cheap or expensive), discman, stereo, car etc and spending $15 (or more) on a cd to play in it. So to me in the long run I would probably save money b/c I usually was buying a whole cd for one or 2 songs.... :) And if I like 15 songs at .99 a piece is still cheaper than buying 12-15 cd's at $15 a piece!!! :o :eek: :eek: :o
I suppose if you look at it that way, but since I myself have not purchased a CD player in may years, nor a CD in a long time, just dont see the point. am more of a radio girl myself anyways. I get to listen to all the new songs without paying for them. he he he!

shais_mom
03-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I suppose if you look at it that way, but since I myself have not purchased a CD player in may years, nor a CD in a long time, just dont see the point. am more of a radio girl myself anyways. I get to listen to all the new songs without paying for them. he he he!
than I definately see YOUR point too! :D
I never thought I would want an ipod and it took me a long time to jump on the wagon - but once I did - I LOVE IT!

Glacier
03-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok I just dont get why you would spend hundreds of dollars on something, just to continiue to pay for every song you listen to??? seems to not make any sense at all! I must be old fashioned, or just plain stingy with my money!:eek:

Most of them come with software to convert your current CD collection to MP3's. That's what I do with mine. I don't pay to download anything. I just put the music I already love on it. I still buy CD's, but mostly for in the house. The CD player in my truck died, I use the player in there.

manda_moo87
03-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a 30GB video Ipod... I LOVE it! :D

I_luv_rusty
03-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I have the 60GB ipod video, and love it!!

Killearn Kitties
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
RobiLee, did you buy one yesterday? I am dying to know! :)

RobiLee
03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
RobiLee, did you buy one yesterday? I am dying to know! :)

Yes, I did! I bought a pink iPod nano 4GB. I had my eye on the bigger one next to it. The 30GB with video. I would have loved to have gotten that one. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much money though. If I had been there just a couple hours earlier I could have had the 30GB one for the same price as the pink one that I got. I guess someone had returned it because they found it too difficult to learn how to use it, so since it had been opened they had it marked down to the nano price. Geesh, I just missed that deal! Oh well, I really don't need one like that. I would probably never use the video part. I really wanted it so I can listen to music when I'm walking the dogs or walking on the treadmill. I usually use a little cd player, but that only limits me to one cd and they always wind up skipping.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't spend money on myself very often so this was a big deal for me. I stood in that aisle forever agonizing over which one to get and was asking everyone questions when they came over to look at them or the accessories. I haven't even opened it up yet...lol. I know I'm probably going to have trouble figuring things out and I'm also feeling guilty for spending so much money in the first place. The iPod and the arm band thing that I bought are still in the bag with the receipt. I left the house early this morning and I just got home a little bit ago so maybe I'll be brave and take a look at it now :rolleyes: . I am so weird...lol. I've been through enough crap and stress and been working hard. I think I'm entitled to buy something for myself!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! :)

I'll probably be hollering for help soon!

Killearn Kitties
03-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Oooo how exciting! The pink one's lovely. I have a silver one and I love it.

Lobodeb
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I have the 60GB ipod video, and love it!!

Me too!

Robin, let me know if you need any help getting set up.

I'm so happy for you that you did this for yourself. :D

smokey the elder
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I want to get a high capacity one and put all my CDs on it. I have a really eclectic collection of music that's hard to find out on the internet.

Rachel
03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I've been through enough crap and stress and been working hard. I think I'm entitled to buy something for myself!

Good for you, RobiLee! You deserve this and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly. I can think of a few songs I'd like to spring for you to download.