PDA

View Full Version : Lost And Found At Boarding Kennel

countrykennels
03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I have just started a Dog Boarding Kennel. Looking for opinions on what to do with my first problem. We boarded two gray hounds awhile back. The owners brought jackets with them for thier 9 day stay. After a few days she called and said she forgot the dogs jackets. They say they left them at the kennel and I have look high and low and dont have them. The dog owners feel I should pay them for the jackets. What is your thought.

ashleycat
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
THEY left them. I don't think it's your fault. imo. Why can't they just get new ones? or how do we really know they left it there? maybe they did take them home, and lost them AT HOME?

Vela
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Well you have to weigh the word of mouth bad advertising to their friends and a customer who won't return in the future, against the cost of the jackets. If you do descide not to replace them, you will probably lose their business and word of mouth advertising will probably be bad, but if you are in a large enough area, and can absorb the loss of a few customers, then don't replace them if you truly don't feel that you are at fault. However, if you are in a fairly small place, it would be worthwhile to pay for new jackets, tell them you do not have them, have looked all over, but that you are willing to replace them if necessary.

mike001
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't feel you should be held responsible. Once the owners picked up the dogs, they became their responsibility. I can't fathom forgetting coats for their dogs if they are used to using them. The only reason you might feel you should pay is that they might really badmouth you and try to ruin your reputation if they are that kind of people.
I don't know if I would pay much heed to gossip if I was looking for a boarding kennel though, most people visit and check a place out and make up their own minds.

Freedom
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
... but that you are willing to replace them if necessary.

Ugh! Don't say you will replace them! Say you will compensate the owners. You don't know how easy or difficult these jackets are to find, the size, how expensive they are, etc.

You will compensate up to . . . say a dollar amount. $20 per jacket, or something like that. You don't want to have to be ordering the jackets and dealing with shipping and handling etc.

But in general, I don't know if you should even do THAT much. Just pointing out that if you do want to do something for the owners, word it carefully.

Maybe in future have a check list of what owners bring - beds, toys, clothing, food. Have them sign off when all is returned? Just another idea to consider.

ashleycat
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Maybe in future have a check list of what owners bring - beds, toys, clothing, food. Have them sign off when all is returned? Just another idea to consider.
dito

Kfamr
03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
When I was trained in customer service, I was taught that the customer is always right. $20 or less that is lost will not replace the possible larger amount they may spend at your facility in the future. A lost customer, plus a bad word of mouth, will be a much greater loss to your company than handing over a few bucks for the sweaters.

Personally, I would apologize for the missing jackets, make it clear that you've searched the whole property for the jackets, but you are willing to compensate them if necessary. I would try to offer store credit/free day of boarding before offering cash (good way to see if they are actually being honest about losing their jackets, or just looking for some money.)

Muddy4paws
03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I agree with Vela, Ive recently started my own buisness and word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising so be wary of upsetting the owners because I doubt they will keep it quiet. I know its not your fault but If it was me I would take it as a learning curve and make changes like a form as others have suggested so it doesnt happen again.

Just remember that if you do a good job the word will go around and recommend you to a few people, Do something to upset people and it will spread to about 10 people!

I would refund them their money and apologize even though you didn't lose them just to keep them happy because at the end of the day its 2 dogs boarding probably for the rest of their lives for the one off price of 2 jackets. I know its fustrating paying out when its not your fault but think of the longrun.

Freedom
03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I would try to offer store credit/free day of boarding before offering cash.

OOhhhh, EXCELLENT idea!!!

Vela
03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Ugh! Don't say you will replace them! Say you will compensate the owners. You don't know how easy or difficult these jackets are to find, the size, how expensive they are, etc.

You will compensate up to . . . say a dollar amount. $20 per jacket, or something like that. You don't want to have to be ordering the jackets and dealing with shipping and handling etc.

But in general, I don't know if you should even do THAT much. Just pointing out that if you do want to do something for the owners, word it carefully.

Well yeah, not find and buy exact jackets, I didn't mean it that way, just offer like Kay said, free board etc, or let them have the option of a cash value you'll replace if that isn't acceptable.

Twisterdog
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I also own a boarding kennel.

I would offer to compensate them somehow, whether it is cash, new jackets, free services. Whatever you can agree upon. Because if you don't, they will tell ten of their friends about it. And those ten friends will each tell five friends, and the story will more than likely grow. You don't need the bad publicity, especially if you just opened.

The cost of two dog jackets could easily be made up by the customer thinking highly of you, and returning to board their two dogs for another week or two. Or telling their friends how you politely and quickly "made things right".

However, make a note in their chart of the incident. Some people like to play the "get something for nothing" game.

Next time a customer brings multiple items in, make a note in their file of everything they bring in, read it back to them and ask them if it's correct. Then when you return their items, read the list back to them and make sure they have it all.