PDA

View Full Version : Rat Poison In The Pet Food

elizabethann
03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I just got a breaking news report. That pet food that was recalled had rat poison in it!

finn's mom
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
:(

JenBKR
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, unbelievable. Wonder how it got into the food....that's so sad..... :(

Chica
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
WOW!!!HOW DID IT GET INTO THE FOOD? A HORABLE PERSON PURPOSELY PUT IT IN, HOW ELSE? :confused: :mad: :mad:

Jadapit
03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Omg, thats awful!! How very sad. :(

smokey the elder
03-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Here's a link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/23/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html

It was not necessarily deliberate. The suspect ingredient was wheat gluten, and rat poison may have gotten into the grain by accident.

Blue_Frog
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow ... rat poison :eek: It could be one of a couple of reasons, be it deliberate or possibly someone somewhere along the line probabally knew that the wheat/gluten that was being used had some problems with it, and wasn't considered good enough to make it to human consumption level (but good enough for pet food i guess *insert sarcasm*). So, either deliberate tampering at the factory level, or the factory didn't know that the ingredient was contaminated before it was added to production.

I just looked up the recall lists of products and have a question -- if anyone in the future plans to buy from menu foods again, why wouldn't someone print up the list, and find the cheapest 'name brand', since it sounds like it is all the same stuff in different packaging? Then again, i guess its' the same with a lot of the pet food manufacturers.

Also, when I read streetsville originally I didn't place it as this place being somewhere within a 10 minute drive from where I live :(

king2005
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Wow ... rat poison :eek: It could be one of a couple of reasons, be it deliberate or possibly someone somewhere along the line probabally knew that the wheat/gluten that was being used had some problems with it, and wasn't considered good enough to make it to human consumption level (but good enough for pet food i guess *insert sarcasm*). So, either deliberate tampering at the factory level, or the factory didn't know that the ingredient was contaminated before it was added to production.

I just looked up the recall lists of products and have a question -- if anyone in the future plans to buy from menu foods again, why wouldn't someone print up the list, and find the cheapest 'name brand', since it sounds like it is all the same stuff in different packaging? Then again, i guess its' the same with a lot of the pet food manufacturers.

Also, when I read streetsville originally I didn't place it as this place being somewhere within a 10 minute drive from where I live :(

I know, sad eh :(
But Nutro was on the list & I honestly don't think they would use BAD ingredients. I'm sure someone knew something somewhere, but I hope it wasn't the factory its self... I'll be very dissapointed.. if it was the supplier then they deserve to be hoofed in the nads over & over & over & over, then sued, then closed down & have thier licences revolked & then added to the BBB!!!

I can see streetsville from work :( Its such a nice community too... I hope Peel cracks down hard aswell... Peel seems strict enough to get involved.

CathyBogart
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Here are some articles about it...

http://www.itchmo.com/read/rat-poison-suspected_20070323

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1&US=true

I am SOOOOO glad that the only canned food Jasper has ever eaten is Wysong!

pitc9
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
:(

lvpets2002
03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes this is what I was noted too.. :(
Here's a link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/23/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html

It was not necessarily deliberate. The suspect ingredient was wheat gluten, and rat poison may have gotten into the grain by accident.

smokey the elder
03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
The compound was identified as "aminopterin", a rat poison used in some parts of the world but not approved in the US. Wasn't there a new source of the gluten? I think they need to follow the trail to that supplier and grab samples for testing.

king2005
03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
The compound was identified as "aminopterin", a rat poison used in some parts of the world but not approved in the US. Wasn't there a new source of the gluten? I think they need to follow the trail to that supplier and grab samples for testing.

Completly agree... It was a new supplier & they stopped using that supplier when this first started up...

Thats why I'm not quite so mad at the companies(yet), because they more then likely honestly didn't know.

Lizzie
03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Canada has to import wheat from China?!

lizbud
03-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Canada has to import wheat from China?!

Why not. We already buy clothes, electric appliances and all manner of
manufactured goods made in China. They sell cheaper stuff. :( :mad:

king2005
03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Why not. We already buy clothes, electric appliances and all manner of
manufactured goods made in China. They sell cheaper stuff. :( :mad:

Stupid I know eh?

We have SOOOO much gas (the kind for cars), & we sell it to the usa & buy it back!!!

I think the government is stopping stupid stuff like that, or atleast lowering it... I saw a commercial on it, but missed most of it, as I don't watch a lot of TV

luvofallhorses
03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
OMG!! who would do such a thing? :mad:

Logan
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
I am fairly certain that NO one did this, on purpose. It is just a horrible, horrible thing that has affected more animals, I'm sure, than the numbers we have seen reported, so far.

My Lilly died from kidney failure,just a few weeks ago, but we know, without a doubt, that her death did not have anything to do with this recall. I feel grateful about that.

Logan

luvofallhorses
03-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you're right but I just wonder how in the world it ends up in pet food. :confused: hopefully we'll find out.

CathyBogart
03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Wellll.......rats like wheat...wheat farmers can't make a living if rats eat their crops...the rat poison was on the wheat.....

BC_MoM
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh my GOSH. I'm speechless.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Fox news just reported that the poison was on the wheat which came from China. The US Food and Drug administration only checks a portion of grains and food that come from other countries. Looks like they laid a big egg on this one!!! :(

Can't help but wonder if any of that wheat got into people food somewhere. :(

smokey the elder
03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I wonder if seed wheat had gotten mixed in. Seeds often are treated with assorted chemicals in order to prevent critters from eating them.

todd
03-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Thats s o sad :mad: :mad: