PDA

View Full Version : baby rabbit HELP PLEASE!!!!

Genny
03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey, I know a lot of you guys have rabbits, so I wanted to know if you could help me out here. About 15 minutes ago I was outside and I heard something crying outside...I started looking around and my cat had a baby rabbit. I ran and got the baby and brought it inside. It has a big bloody spot on its back leg and part of its tail looks like it is ripped off. I'm not looking at the cut place very much; I don't want to make it bleed any worse... Its eyes are open...so how old do you think it is?? I don't see any mom rabbits anywhere outside, so Im guessing the cats found it and brought it up, or either it got out of the nest and got lost? I can't tell if it has gone into shock or not--I have always heard it's really hard to save a baby rabbit if it goes into shock. Its eyes are wide open, and it has hopped once or twice on the floor. Is there any advice anyone can give me?? Thanks so much!!!!

Genny

Karen
03-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Call an emergency vet, they'll tell you what to look for and what to do, is it a wild bunny?

Genny
03-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, it's wild; I just found it outside. It's a little brown rabbit.

3muttsandaboston
03-23-2007, 05:41 AM
If it's eyes are open it's probably eating. put some grass in with it and see if it's eating. Clean the wounds out good and put some ointment on them. when it's healed up after a few days let it go. Thats the best thing to do.

critter crazy
03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
I would contact a local Wildlife Rehabilitator. They will know exactly what to do, and they are more prepared to care for the bunny properly, as well as release it once it is healthy again. You can find them listed in the phone book, or by contacting your Local DEC office.

Freedom
03-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Many times your local vet will be able to give you the names and numbers of local wildlife rehabilitators as well. Do NOT take a wild animal into the vet's, they freak out, it puts their license at risk, not to mention their clients' health. Just all them.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Many times your local vet will be able to give you the names and numbers of local wildlife rehabilitators as well. Do NOT take a wild animal into the vet's, they freak out, it puts their license at risk, not to mention their clients' health. Just all them.
Most vets can take in small wildlife animals like bunnies and squirrels. It's larger animals like birds of pray and animals that are more likely to carry rabies (raccoons, foxes, etc.) that they usually don't take in. Most vets will take in small birds and small mammals at no charge. I would call your vet first thing, he may tell you to bring the bunny in or he may refer you to a wildlife rehab if there is one near you.

Genny
03-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys, but the little baby died today around 4pm. I'm so upset; I really wanted him to be ok. I'm going to write about him in the pet memorial if you want to read any about him..

SunsetRose
03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Awww thats too bad.

For future reference if you ever see another, when rabbits begin to live independantly and leave their mother, they still look like babies. By the time they look like a miniature adult and are able to hop around like a normal rabbit, they are eating and living just fine on their own. It's probably safe to say that the rabbit you found was fully weaned and on it's own but just got an unlucky encounter with a hawk, cat, dog or other predatory animal.

Genny
03-24-2007, 08:32 PM
yeah, when the baby was still alive I looked up the kind he was and read a lot about them; it said as young as 3 weeks they are ready to live on their own..

My cat was the one who hurt the little rabbit :( Luckily I found him and brought him in before he hurt him any worse

Lori Jordan
03-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Aww that is too bad,Sorry to hear this,but remember dont't get mad at your cat.It was only doing what it thought was right.Rest Well Little one.

Genny
03-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I know; I'm not mad at Samson (my cat) I'm just upset with him. I know it's a cat;s instincts to do things like that, but it's still sad.

I got a collar for Samson with a bell on it so if the future animals will maybe here him coming before he tries to catch them. So, hopefully that will work