PDA

View Full Version : Fosters I have a question.

buttercup132
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I have 2 people that both sound like a really good home for the AE I'm trying to rehome. But how am I supposed to choose who.

Is there questions I should be asking them to find out if they know about the breed requirments? The one has previously owned a Eskie but lives farther away and the other has had a dog but not a Eskie.

Freedom
03-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Have you met the people or just spoken on the phone? Meeting them and seeing how they interact with the dog helps. Visiting them in THEIR home helps - look at the kitchen, that tells a LOT about how a person maintains things.

I know you said one lives a distance away, so that may not be a possibility.

Also make sure you have a contract which requires them to return the dog to YOU if things don't work out.

Ask who their vet is, call the vet for a reference. Ask the vet if they have been able to pay for needed services, have they brought the prior pet(s) in for routine things.

If there are special requirements for the specific dog (I don't know about your breed) ask how they will deal with that. For example, when I was looking to adopt Sugar, the bichon, I had to speak with TWO groomers during the intrview process and get an idea of what the costs will be to keep her coat trimmed. I had to provide the name and phone number of the 2 groomers I spoke with (I don't know if they were called to verify that I actually DID speak with them, but I was told that would happen. I don't use EITHER of them, I didn't like the "vibes" in the place.)

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with!

pitc9
03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Have you done home inspections yet?
If they are not close by, contact a rescue that is close to their home and ask them to do a home inspection for you. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help out!

Ginger's Mom
03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Sandra and Angie have made a really good point in having someone do a home visit. It is always a good idea. Some of the things you are looking for are going to change depending upon the dog. I know that the little girl you are dealing with is eight years old and has had only limited training. How is she with people, with other dogs? Is she timid (common in the breed)? Is she fearful (then you don't want to place her in a house with children under the age of 12)? On the plus side, Eskies are smart, clean, active dogs. One the negative side they shed a lot and can be headstrong and nippy. It is important for you to meet and have the dog meet everyone who is going to be living in the house with her before making a decision.

thanks for trying to help this little girl. And if you were able to get a picture of her, we wouldn't complain. ;)