PDA

View Full Version : 'Size Zero'

Miss Z
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I've not been on PT very much for the past few weeks due to schoolwork, so it seems like ages since I've been involved in a good, friendly PT debate. Everyone around me at the moment seems to be talking 'size zero', so I thought it would be interesting to see what PT has got to say on the topic.

So, here's my initial thoughts:

In short, I think the media entirely overrates the horrors of this clothing size and I'm getting quite sick of it. Size zero does not equal anorexia as many people seem to think, although I can give credit to the fact that people trying to slim to size zero can be engulfed by eating disorders. Yes, to be such a small size, one HAS to be very thin, but dangerously thin is debateable in my honest opinion.

Size zero here in the UK is a size 4. I am, in body, a size 6, although sometimes have to wear a size 8 in order to fit my broad lancastrian shoulders ;) . I have a BMI of 16. Technically, I can be classified underweight and many would immediately assume 'anorexic', and yet I eat a relatively balanced diet and certainly never eat less than I want. What I suppose I'm trying to get at is the term anorexia is being to greatly overused.

For example, I like to go out wearing tight tops and short skirts as most 15 year olds do, always tasteful of course. Usually at least once, I'll get a few girls catching sight of me, and evidently leaning closer together to utter the words 'Well there's an anorexic'.

Size 4 clothing is banned in most shops here, and size 6, for me, is often hard to find. I am most definitely not anorexic, and yet it's often hard to find clothes that do fit me. Sometimes I ask myself, 'why am I missing out simply because I am a couple of inches too thin?' I do actually know someone who is, perfectly naturally, a size 4, and she hates the fact that her choice of clothes is so limited. Now I hear that size 'zero' models are going to be banned from catwalks, and there are even talks of banning my size 6 in some places, I can't help but wonder how much we are trying to standardise the population. For example, here at least, private schools are bad because we should all have the same standard teaching, and now it seems we must all be the same size and weight too.

I understand fully eating disorders are hell and, being one myself, pressure on young girls to be beautiful is pretty strong. But I do not believe getting the collywobbles about dinky sizes is going to solve very much. We can all be beautiful in our own way, size 4 to size 20, and I think that is what should be emphasised.

So, what do you say, PT?

smokey the elder
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I think there are a lot of natural variances in human body types, and people who are naturally thin should be decoupled from people with eating problems. I think it's safe to say that I could tell a thin person from a starving person!

buttercup132
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Ugh I hate it everyone always says I am anorexic and what not. I hate how people automatically assume that your anorexic. To me its just like people assuming fat people eat fast food for every meal and never exersice. It took me until I was in grade 8 to fit into a size 0 cause I was so small and it took me till the summer of grade 9 to start fattening up. But I can still fit into a size 0 it depends on the brand. I range from size 0-5 but I'm usually a 3. I honestly eat like a pig too, when I go to Mc Donalds I order a double big mac , a double cheese burger, med fries and a lrg coke and I dont go and puke it all up. I can eat more then my parents and enjoy it so I'm deff not anorexic. Everyone always underestimates my strength and weight too. I weigh 125 lbs and can lift the same amount of weight as the normal fit people at my work (like Golden Retrivers and other large breeds). People are just dumb:)
We will just kick their butts Zara.

sumbirdy
03-22-2007, 02:51 PM
My sister-in-law wears a double zero and I don't think she looks anorexic. What I don't like is when some smaller girls walk around and say "Oh, I'm so skinny" or whatever. That just makes them look sick to me. (It's the attitude that matters really) You girls are lucky though. I wish I was smaller than I am. (I'm not going to say my size but lets just say it ranges in the teens)

Catlady711
03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't know about other parts of the globe, but here anyways it seems sizes are getting larger despite the number on the tag.

For example, my mom finally lost quite a bit of weight and had to go clothes shopping, which she hates with a passion and does very rarely. She started out in what should have been only a size or two smaller than what she was wearing, which should have been sufficient. However ended up going down 4 sizes to find ones that actually fit. These jeans were the same name brand as the ones she'd bought a number of years ago. She didn't lose THAT much weight, but had to drop down the size more than was actually necessary because of the sizing.

I've also had similar problems, even within the same name brands of jeans. I've both lost and gained alot of weight (I normally have to keep 4 sizes of jeans in my closet at any given time).

What I'm noticing is that say a person wears what was a size 10 from six years ago, they don't lose or gain any weight, go clothes shopping, and suddenly they are wearing a size 8. Ego trip? definately!

Sizes are relative depending on the manufacturer and how much they percieve the public wants to have smaller sizes on the tags. So in fact a size 0 could actually have been a size 6 ten years ago, but because of the trends it has changed.

As for banning the very small sizes I think that's just nuts! I have a cousin that is very very tiny naturally as well as very short, and she's always complaining because she can't find any adult looking clothing in her size. She ends up having to shop in the childrens section because there are no adult clothes her size. The problem is she works in a very professional office and can't exactly dress for the job if all her clothes have winnie the poo on them and little frilly lace decor!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
The most popular question I'm asked...

"Do you ever eat?"

I currently weigh 107 pounds and am 5' 6 ¾". During my first pregnancy, I only gained 11 pounds (Pre-pregnancy I was 109 pounds). My second pregnancy was pretty much the same. I walked out of the hospital weighing 111 pounds. My "normal" weight is 109, but after the fire, I couldn't eat or sleep - hence the 4 pounds I lost. I wear a size 1-3 jean, it just depends on the style. I have a fast metabolism, and I go for walks everyday (we don't drive).

I also wrestle a lot with my Hubby, I get an awesome workout! :p

Miss Z
03-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, seems like I'm not alone in my thoughts. :) I have the problem of being very tall (verging on 6'!) and very slim and finding clothes, especially trousers, that are both tight enough and long enough is often difficult.

We will just kick their butts Zara.

Heh heh, I like the sound of that! :p

Freedom
03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a fast metabolism, .

Both a blessing and a curse.

I have a s- l - o - w _ m - e - t - a - b - o - l - i - s - m. I don't have ANY of the problems you are discussing in this thread. :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't see how banning small clothing sizes will make anyone with a legitimate eating disorder want to stop losing weight...that's just silly. Everyone is different, but we all need clothes that fit!

Not to mention, I think it's a great deal likelier that more people are at risk from obesity-related illnesses than from anorexia. Obviously, banning a certain size for large people wouldn't cause them to lose weight anymore than banning a size zero would cause people to stop losing it. :rolleyes:

buttercup132
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
My sister-in-law wears a double zero and I don't think she looks anorexic. What I don't like is when some smaller girls walk around and say "Oh, I'm so skinny" or whatever. That just makes them look sick to me. (It's the attitude that matters really) You girls are lucky though. I wish I was smaller than I am. (I'm not going to say my size but lets just say it ranges in the teens)Isn't it usually the other way around? At least those skinny people KNOW they are skinny. They arent going around saying they are fat and need to diet when they are tiny. Those are the type of girls that make us naturally skinnny girls cringe and get made fun of for.

Karen
03-22-2007, 11:21 PM
So much has to do with genetics - my cousin could "diet down" to a size zero, (she was usually a 2) where I, who obviously swam to the other side of the gene pool, probably wouldn't fit in a size zero even if I was just a skeleton! I am currently overweight, but am working on that part. But she would get "carded" when she was 24 (legal drinking age was 21) and on dates asked if her date was her father - both of which embarrassed her terribly. I, on the other hand, rarely got carded when I was 18 even, 3 years too young to legally drink!

It was hard as a teenager not to wanna smack my dear friend Wendy who was, like some of you, skinny, and ate junk food to try to gain weight but still didn't! But she was also so fidgety that we swore she fidgeted off every calorie she ever consumed!

crow_noir
03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
:D That's the size of the Havahart live trap we bought this week! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
03-23-2007, 05:59 AM
If it is your natural body shape to be slim then fine but if you put yourself on ridiculous diets to achieve the look then it is wrong, wrong, wrong! Mrs Beckham - please take note and eat something woman!

JenBKR
03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Personally, I think it's so sad how pressured girls are to be skinny. I don't see how banning any clothing size would help though, and I never assume that someone thin is anorexic. However, I do think that there should be models of all sizes, and they should appear in fashion shows, magazines, etc.

On a side note, and no offense to anyone, but I really can't stand it to see girls, especially teenagers, dressed in short skirts/shorts and tight little shirts. I know I am probably going to sound old..... :eek: .......but I just don't think it looks right. I was a teenager not that long ago, but my father would have NEVER let me leave the house wearing what I see so many young girls wearing out. Much of it (not all by any means) looks so trashy (not to mention all of the perverts out there that like to prey on young girls.......maybe I have too much of a background in psychology and working with sexual assualt victims......)

Lobodeb
03-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I have a s- l - o - w _ m - e - t - a - b - o - l - i - s - m. I don't have ANY of the problems you are discussing in this thread. :rolleyes:
I don't think I have a metabolisim at all! j/k

And I feel as if clothes are getting smaller. Granted I've gained weight, but I see an extra large now and I wonder what I'm supposed to cover my other half with? :confused:

Babyboonie
03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
This is a debate that can go on and on and everyone will have different opinions! Unfortuantely I have a slow metabolism aswell as polycystic ovaries (which seems to make it near on impossible to lose weight around my middle - god only knows what Victoria Beckhams secret is!!), and am currently slightly overweight at the moment.

There was a programme aired in the UK a couple of weeks ago that was highlighting some of the issues with people trying desperately to get down to size zero. Louise Redknapp (used to be in a girl group called Eternal - can't remember if they ever released anything in America), was given the challenge of slimming down to a size zero within 6 weeks. She is naturally quite a small person anyway as well being healthy and fit so she really did have to put her body under immense pressure to lose the weight. She was practically spending 3 hours a day in the gym and barely seemed to be eating anything at all - yet this was the regime given to her by the "professionals". By week 4 her doctor advised her to stop the programme immediately as it was affecting her some functioning of her vital organs and her immune system aswell. Needless to say, she had got to the point where she was determined to make a point that it could be done, so continued. She did get down to size zero within the time frame - but she certainly didn't look all that healthy, she looked pale and exhausted. It also took her a further 4 weeks to get back into her normal healthy eating routine as her body couldn't digest the food properly.

I suppose the moral of this is that there is so much pressure for young girls to be slim that they are putting their bodies through this - which does unfortuantely result in eating disorders.

In an ideal world we would all accept the way we look and the way others look - but we are certainly not in an ideal world!

wolflady
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think I have a metabolisim at all! j/k

And I feel as if clothes are getting smaller. Granted I've gained weight, but I see an extra large now and I wonder what I'm supposed to cover my other half with? :confused:

I hear that. Actually, it is a fact that clothing sizes (where I live) ARE smaller than the same sizes in most other states. So, basically a large is really a medium and so on, which is just rude IMO. It just really irritates me that everyone is expected to be impossibly thin, and when I go shopping...nothing fits me. :mad: Everything left on the racks are smalls, extra smalls and mediums...since all the "normal sized" people probably already picked through what little we have available to us. :(
I'll admit that the media puts this stress on thin=beautiful, so I have self-esteem problems. I didn't used to feel as bad about myself when I was in shape, but now that I'm out of shape and a huge fat cow...it's really depressing. It makes it moreso when I can't even find clothes that fit, and the fact that all sizes run small here. That's just rediculous to me. I hate looking in magazines, because the "hangars" (aka...the impossibly thin women) that model the clothes do not help me at all figure out if that outfit would look good on me. I would be more incline to purchase clothes if I saw them on a normal person, or someone who is pear-shaped. I'm not straight up and down...I have curves. :rolleyes: I've also noticed the trend here for everything (on top of already being small) to be skin tight, or tube shaped. I really hate shopping...:(
It also irriates me when tiny people complain about being fat. :rolleyes: If only they could walk a day in my shoes, they would have no reason to complain! *snicker* A very slim colleague here at work was just saying how fat she was (she's a size 8 - which to me...is a small normal size for a woman, and she looks thin) and wanted to get back into her 3's. Ugh...

Whisk_Luva
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Everyone just thinks men like women who are size zero. LIE! what is there to hug and hold with someone is size zero? it would be like hugging a pile of bones. So everyone- EAT UP!

ramanth
03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
On the other side of the spectrum concerning the differences in US and UK sizes... wedding dresses are in UK sizes (for reasons unknown to me), but anyway.... imagine my surprise when the dress they give me is a size 18!! :eek:

A bit of hit on the self esteem there. :o

Babyboonie
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
On the other side of the spectrum concerning the differences in US and UK sizes... wedding dresses are in UK sizes (for reasons unknown to me), but anyway.... imagine my surprise when the dress they give me is a size 18!! :eek:

A bit of hit on the self esteem there. :o

I hear you! My experience of ordering my wedding dress for my wedding 18 months ago was mortifying. I am a very self conscious person at the best of times, so wasn't looking forward to the whole shopping for dresses when they are all a standard size. However, I was determined to lose weight before the wedding as every bride is, and managed to lose 2 stone prior to me actally ordering my dress. So I went in reasonably confident and was then told that wedding dresses in the UK come up TWO sizes smaller - meaning you have to order a dress that is two sizes more than your usual size....needless to say, my new found confidence was shattered!

Muddy4paws
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I dont envy anyone under a size 12, I dont think I've ever seen much clothing for anyone under a 12 in many shops and I do alot of shopping! :D I'm a size 16 and I find it hard enough to find clothes lately because everyone is so obsessed with being so much skinnier!

There was a show on tv showing that the average shop only puts out 2 size 16's in their stores for each clothing item and the rest are 12's and 14 which drives me crazy! I know I should diet but its easier said than done! I know its sad and its going in the wrong direction but the majority of people like myself are bigger and I think clothing companys need to be realistic in size because I look about when im shopping and to everyone thin person there are like 4 bigger people and I think they should be reastic and make clothing for biggers people too.

I know of a few shops that sell bigger sizes but when you compare the range of clothing to the "skinnier" section of the store its like they cant design for bigger girls! Most tops look like tents and they lack so much design it really puts me off buying them. which them makes me depressed that I cant always look nice and wear the latest fashions.

I know I should stop moaning and go on a diet but as I said its easier said than done! :o

mike001
03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
I think it has to do with a person's metabolism and the style of clothing. sizes don't really matter, I think these small sizes tend to make you think you're thin when in fact you're not. Depends on your activity level and how your body burns off calories. Some people can go all day and still be on the heavy side while others stay small and eat junk food without a thought. I don't put much faith in sizes, if something fits and looks good on me, then I wear it.

Miss Z
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
I watched the programme on Louise Redknapp too and it was pretty gruesome stuff. If you aren't naturally that size then it's madness trying to get to it. I couldn't sacrifice my hair, skin and health purely to be tiny!

Reading through the responses from UK residents in particular, I must say that up here the shops seem different. There's plenty of really nice clothing for size 14 and upwards in the latest styles, but hardly ever anything less than a 12 left on the rails! Seems unless you're bang in the middle, like Muddy4paws said, you can never be satisfied. ;)

animal_rescue
03-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Ugh! Honestly I hate when people pick on me because I'm so thin. The nerve of people that WATCH me eat just to wonder "where I put it all?" I'm constantly harrassed for being too thin when I don't even think I'm thin!(I don't think I'm fat either, just regular) It's one of my biggest pet peeves actually. Sorry you have to deal with that Zara, I know it's gotta suck. :(

Argranade
03-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I honestly think you look awsome Zara,

I seen your photos on PT and I never even thought of too skinny when seeing them,

When I was younger I looked too thin and I still am, at 17 years old I only weight 99 when I just checked right now lol, but usaly weight 100 to 103 I think it's just I have been sick these past few days and skipped alot of my meals.

I don't look like realy thin but I love my body shape, as said it's the inside that counts. ;)

Everyone should be happy with them selfs no matter what, I mean if you think your set for it go ahead and gain or loose a few pounds but please don't go over board.

At least we have a home, food and don't have to worry about bombs, starving ect ... if you think about compared to millions of people around the world we have it good and we should think less of our selves and help others more.

barncat
03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
As a large size woman I often have problems finding clothes that are well made and professional looking and don't cost a fortune! We don't expect toy poodels and bernese mountain dogs to look the same or wear the same collars. I wonder when people will get the ideas that not all people need to look the same to be beautiful or healthy.....

So bless you, petites and talls and plus-sizes. Human diversity is a good thing, in my opinion.

Cataholic
03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I just look for sweats with a drawstring. Solves all my fat fashion dilemnas!

buttercup132
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Everyone just thinks men like women who are size zero. LIE! what is there to hug and hold with someone is size zero? it would be like hugging a pile of bones. So everyone- EAT UP!My bf seems to like me just fine..everyone is different..I actually find what you said VERY offensive...It's not as easy to just "eat up" if you read through other peoples posts you would have seen I said that I eat ALOT more then my parents but dont gian weight. I was on a get fat diet when I was younger to try and gain weight its not easy! Thats like saying fat people stop eating so much , I think we all know that dosent work and there are alot of larger people who eat perfectly fine and healthy but still are bigger and dont loose weight.

columbine
03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Why try to norm
The human form
In its wealth of shape and size?
Stay small or grow
Buy clothes or sew
It's hearts that know, not eyes!

dogzr#1
03-23-2007, 10:25 PM
That's my problem too, Zara. It's a pain in the arse to find pants. Most of the time they are too big at the waist, but perfect length. However, I am lucky and have a good size body. Like not nasty skinny but not quite 'average'. I get lots of compliments because of that. I eat just as much as I always do, but my lucky genetics prevents me from gaining weight.

I don't think that banning a certain size will make girls gain weight, or lose it. It will just make shopping a lot more difficult. :p Ugh, the problems of weight these days. I remember when I started middle school my mom had to tell me not to worry about what kids told me concerning my weight. She was always made fun of in school for being too skinny because the 'in' weight back then was to be 'average' to slightly chubby, not super skinny. I wish it was still like that. *sigh*

wombat2u2004
03-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Why try to norm
The human form
In its wealth of shape and size?
Stay small or grow
Buy clothes or sew
It's hearts that know, not eyes!

That is so very true Columbine....so very well said........it's a shame that most people don't think that way.
Wombat

wombat2u2004
03-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Everyone just thinks men like women who are size zero. LIE! what is there to hug and hold with someone is size zero? it would be like hugging a pile of bones. So everyone- EAT UP!

Yep.....Eat up all !!!!!
Fat Wombat

Sevaede
03-24-2007, 03:11 AM
I think it's ridiculous that they're banning clothes. Okay, so let's pretend that DOES deter folks with eating disorders from continuing the habit. You're (as in the company[ies]) still putting the naturally thin folks out. Plus other issues.

I don't know if I have a very fast metabolism. I rarely exercise and I don't have the healthiest diet(it seems most unhealthier foods are usually more affordable). I'm 4 feet and 9 inches tall and am 100 lbs. I have bad self esteem so whether or not that's "normal" or "okay", I am not sure. :o

Miss Z
03-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't look like realy thin but I love my body shape, as said it's the inside that counts. ;)

Everyone should be happy with them selfs no matter what, I mean if you think your set for it go ahead and gain or loose a few pounds but please don't go over board.

At least we have a home, food and don't have to worry about bombs, starving ect ... if you think about compared to millions of people around the world we have it good and we should think less of our selves and help others more.

That is very true and well said. Our diversity as the human race makes each and every one of us special no matter how we look, skinny or curvy. As you said, sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own minor lifestyle dilemas that we forget just how lucky we are to be able to create them!

And thank you for the comliments too. :D It's great to see how people of all sizes are in general agreement that we should be happy in ourselves and be thankful that we are all different shapes and sizes and not clones. :)

Roxyluvsme13
03-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Ugh. I am certainly no size zero, nor have or will I probably ever be. People are always making fun of me for my weight, and I just wish people would stop.

Anyways.. Every single teen with every single article, magazine, and photo is sending the message SKINNY IS IN, SKINNY IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE. And pressure just sucks. I think they should be worrying a little more about the people dying to be skinny, but not completely eliminating the clothing size for the people who don't kill themselves for that. The size elimination isn't going to make people eat and gain weight, it's just going to piss people off and give them nothing to wear. What do they want you to do, run around in your birthday suit? Some people can't help if they're skinny, just like some people can't help if they're overweight.