PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Wage on the rise?

sparks19
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
My brother just told me that in Ontario they are upping the minimum wage again to $10.50 an hour. Is that true? That is interesting.... I imagine little mom and pop businesses will suffer though :(

coco-bean
03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
My brother just told me that in Ontario they are upping the minimum wage again to $10.50 an hour. Is that true? That is interesting.... I imagine little mom and pop businesses will suffer though :(

I live in Iowa(usa) and right now our min. wage is 5.25, next january their raising ours to 7.25! we're def. a ways away from you guys thats for sure.
I really think the mom and pop business will suffer probably the most. all the prices will rise the people who already make more than min wage wont really want to spend more money on items at the smaller stores because it's going to be more then what they normally pay...
i think it's just going to slowly spiral downward...

Glacier
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/03/21/mcguinty-min-wage.html

cyber-sibes
03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
I think this is so depressing. Minimum wage jobs were never meant to be enough income to raise a family on. Minimum wage jobs are "starting jobs" for people just entering the job market, like high school kids, casual labor, and jobs that require no skills. With raising it so high, it's just going to push prices through the roof. You know who'll pay the actual increase is the consumer.
Interviews with businesses that hire a lot of high school & college students say that for them, it will mean they hire far fewer workers. What good will that do the job market?
If they're doing it in Canada, we in the US will be watching to see how it goes. Good luck.

(Just an afterthought...I don't know anyone here who only makes the minimum wage - even the lowest paying jobs are at least $1-2 dollars more per hour.)

sparks19
03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I think this is so depressing. Minimum wage jobs were never meant to be enough income to raise a family on. Minimum wage jobs are "starting jobs" for people just entering the job market, like high school kids, casual labor, and jobs that require no skills. With raising it so high, it's just going to push prices through the roof. You know who'll pay the actual increase is the consumer.
Interviews with businesses that hire a lot of high school & college students say that for them, it will mean they hire far fewer workers. What good will that do the job market?
If they're doing it in Canada, we in the US will be watching to see how it goes. Good luck.

I agree. It really does more harm than good.

BC_MoM
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Wow, that's nuts. Minimum wage here (Manitoba) is $7.65.

sparks19
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow, that's nuts. Minimum wage here (Manitoba) is $7.65.

It is $8.00 in Ontario right now... and it is supposed to be up to $10+ by the end of summer.

You know... they wouldn't have to raise minimum wage so much if they would give them some tax relief in that province. I know it would screw up their "budget" but how great can the budget be if they have to up MW that much. Because ultimately that means more taxes for the government.... the minimum wage people will still be making about the same they are now after all the taxes are said and done.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I do think that it needs to be raised, but $2 all at once is going to hurt small businesses and people. It needs to be raised a little at a time and more often than every 10 or so years.

Lilith Cherry
03-22-2007, 01:09 AM
What do you expect from Dalton Mcguinty and his dog-hating crew!! it is just another way to buy votes from people who do not think of the consequences! Ultimately it will mean fewer jobs and higher prices. :(

sparks19
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
What do you expect from Dalton Mcguinty and his dog-hating crew!! it is just another way to buy votes from people who do not think of the consequences! Ultimately it will mean fewer jobs and higher prices. :(

PFFT tell me about it.... he is the worst thing to happen to Ontario. He is just so out of touch with reality. Sure it sounds wonderful the minimum wage earners... but it won't once they start losing their jobs because places can't afford to pay them anymore.

Maresche
03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
PFFT tell me about it.... he is the worst thing to happen to Ontario. He is just so out of touch with reality. Sure it sounds wonderful the minimum wage earners... but it won't once they start losing their jobs because places can't afford to pay them anymore.

That's what happened here in Ohio. Last November the people of the state voted to increase minimum wage. When it took effect, many people lost their jobs. I know of two first hand who had min. wage jobs as secondary jobs, part time, just to make ends meet kinds of things, and both were laid off immediately. One delivered pizza and another was a clerk at a national pharmacy chain.