PDA

View Full Version : Snakes- how do I discourage them?

Pembroke_Corgi
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
There are quite a few garter snakes in our yard now since the weather has been so nice for the last 3 weeks. They like the large rocks, which are by this well-type thing in the yard. They might even be in there, too, I don't know, because it's locked and only the landlord has access.

Anyway- the dogs have been finding snakes. I don't want them to get hurt and I also don't want the snakes to get hurt, which is more likely considering they are small. Today they found one under a rock- I lifted it out with a stick and put it out of the yard only to find it dead. :confused: I'm certain the dogs didn't kill it.

How do I discourage snakes from living in the yard, without hurting them? Any ideas?

lizbud
03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Well first you take a picture of St. Patrick and place it near them..... :p
Heck, I know nothing about snakes but they are probably breeding in the
cistern in your yard. :eek:

Pembroke_Corgi
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Well first you take a picture of St. Patrick and place it near them..... :p
Heck, I know nothing about snakes but they are probably breeding in the
cistern in your yard. :eek:
Yeah, I kind of figured they were breeding there- since the next door neighbor said there were snakes all over the yard last year (while the house was empty). :eek:

But, maybe if I get desperate I can try the picture idea! ;) :D

ramanth
03-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Honestly, I don't think there is anything you can do. I know there are plants and things that will deter mammals, but I don't think there is anything made that can deter reptiles. I can ask a reptile forum if you'd like.

Since it's getting warmer and there is such a large abundance it's probably why it's noticible. Once they realize there are predators in your yard (aka the dogs), they'll likely move on on their own.

Freedom
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Do you also have frogs? Snails? Leeches? A pond with fish?

Those are the things they eat, primarily. And I would guess that they hang out where the feeding is good. If you are offering them a buffet restaurant, they will stay. If you place a trail to the neighbor's yard, then HE will have to deal with them. :D

Suki Wingy
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
If you find any color morphs send them to me right away!

chocolatepuppy
03-21-2007, 08:58 PM
I've always heard snakes don't like a lot of activity. If you're outside a lot they may relocate. When I found snakes in my yard I moved them out to the woods and I never saw them back. They don't bother me, I don't want the dogs getting them.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Do you also have frogs? Snails? Leeches? A pond with fish?

Those are the things they eat, primarily. And I would guess that they hang out where the feeding is good. If you are offering them a buffet restaurant, they will stay. If you place a trail to the neighbor's yard, then HE will have to deal with them. :D
Nope, we don't have anything like that. I thought they would leave this year because of all the activity last year. There were less of them last summer, after we moved in, but they are back. Maybe they will move on their own...we are outside a lot.

ramanth
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Jill...would you like me to pose your question at a snake forum I frequent?

KitCat
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Well at least they eat rodents, which you wouldn't want the dogs to eat either.

joycenalex
03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=lizbud]Well first you take a picture of St. Patrick and place it near them..... :p
...or tell them that they'll never amount to boa constrictors, no matter how long they study.... ;)

Twisterdog
03-22-2007, 08:06 PM
When I lived in Fort Collins, I had garter snakes all over my yard! I like snakes, so it didn't really bother me. Except that Queenie liked to kill them and carry them around in her mouth like a morbid sort of trophy. That was a bit disturbing. And I would sometimes run over one with the lawnmower. That was terribly distrubing! :(

I read somewhere that snakes do not like mothballs, so if you can find places where they den or hide, put mothballs there and they will leave. I think I read that right before I moved, though, and I never had a chance to try it. Worth a shot, I suppose, but it always worries me to have stuff like that with dogs.

Honestly, you're probably stuck with them.

columbine
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe being chased around and barked at will drive them away?

Pembroke_Corgi
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Jill...would you like me to pose your question at a snake forum I frequent?
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, that would be great!

ramanth
03-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey Jill!

So far three people have mentioned this stuff called 'Snake Away'. I guess you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=71&PrID=70

One stated she's never used it so she can't vouch for it's effectiveness, while another claims he's heard of people having success with it.

Perhaps it's worth a shot? I'll see if anyone shares any other methods. :)