View Full Version : Sign of Spring ?? :confused:

kuhio98
03-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I went to my regular grocery store yesterday. In the entryway was a huge display of flip flop sandals. SALE! SALE! SALE! HUGE FLIP FLOP SALE!

I paused. Pulled out my driver's license to check that I hadn't forgotten a recent move to Hawaii.... NOPE! I still live in Anchorage, Alaska. Lesseeee, wasn't it MINUS 9 degrees at my house this morning? Why... Yes it was! Aaaaannd wasn't it currently snowing? YEPPERS!

Shaking my head I wheeled my shopping cart (which still had ice on the wheels) away. In search of the aisle that carries frost bite treatment products, perhaps? :p

Edited to add (Bobcat just reminded me) that while driving to the store, we had to dodge a moose that decided to cross the road in front of us -- just to make this story even more ridiculous (if that's possible). :p

critter crazy
03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! way too funny!! Is there realy a need for Flip Flops in alaska at all?? he he he he!!:D

The other day, I went shopping, during a snow storm, and came across a huge rack of Bathing suits on sale! woohoo! :rolleyes:

mike001
03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Point well taken,...lol...we get this out here too even though it was -15C this am. I take it that the sales are meant for people escaping to Florida or somewhere warmer. We don't bother with flip flops here, just not worth it for the very short summers that we do get.

Karen
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Ah, but those are probably last season's flip-flops, see ... or they expect you to want them as shower shoes? Or, your grocery store is part of a chain founded somewhere in the lower of the lower 48, where people equate March with spring, instead of mud season!

caseysmom
03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I wore flip flops yesterday and it rained like crazy, but hey I am a crazy Californian :D

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
That is hilarious!!! I think that shipment was meant for here and it lost it's way ;) I'm wearing flip flops every day here(almost). It's definitely a flip flop day today :)

Here in Florida, we don't go to the shoe store to shop for shoes. We go to Ron Jon's Surf Shop and shop for our new pair of flip flops. They aren't cheap but boy are they sturdy!! :D

caseysmom
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I love Reef's the best...I just bought some new ones....I'll go find a pic :D

caseysmom
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Here they are...

I bought them in black...

http://www.reef.com/productdetail/girls/footwear/sandals/1776

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Reefs are my all time favorites and that's just about all I own. They have great tread on the bottom so we don't fall and break our necks on a wet surface. I love the ones you got-I've gotta have a pair :)

caseysmom
03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I bought mine at a local swim shop...so no shipping.

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm.....I think a trip to Ron Jon's is in order. I love to go there. It's in Cocoa Beach :)

Pembroke_Corgi
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Ha ha, that is funny. Maybe they are hoping the weather will change if enough people buy summer items? :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I have heard flip-flops make EXCELLENT snow shoes! :D :D :D

Glacier
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
LOL, I was wondering what all the hubbub about spring was for today too--as I drove my dog team across a frozen lake and my hubby got called to work--plowing snow!

ramanth
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
You crazy Northern people. :D

I used to wear flip flops all the time as a child, but now I can't stand having something shoved between my toes. It hurts! :(

I love a nice pair of sandals though. :D

Randi
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Caseysmom, I have the same ones, except for the glimmer on them. They sure are nice. :)

It will be a few months before we can use flip flops here. :rolleyes:

cmayer31
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I love my Ocean Minded (http://www.oceanminded.com/products.php) flip flops. When shoes aren't mandated or necessary I'm in flip flops; rain or shine.

Freedom
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I wear them in the house ALL the time, even in winter. Except on REALLY cold days when I can be bothered pulling on my slippers. I just get the all rubber 99 cent version. I got through 3 pair per year, yeah they get more wear in the good weather out in the back yard. I HATE walking any distance in them though, no support under my arch.

kuhio98
03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I've never worn flip-flops long enough to make a calus between my toes (even when I lived in a warmer climate).

Most people in Alaska don't wear shoes in the home. It's kind of like the Japanese custom of removing your shoes. I forget that it's not a common practice whenever we visit family in Oklahoma and Texas. They all think we're weird and keep asking us why we are removing our shoes.

Bobcat just reminded me about when Walmart came to Alaska (about 5 years ago). Evidently, the standard Walmart comes with an aisle dedicated to laundry. Stuff like, clothesline, clothespins, etc. After a month or 2 of not making any sales, we explained to them that we weren't likely to ever hang our clothes outside to dry. Ohhhhh, I guess we could hang them out on July 4th for a few hours before it rained on them..... Or volcanic dust got on them..... Or a raven or eagle came by to rip them to shreds....

Walmart got rid of the stuff and filled the aisle with fish smokers and snow blowers. :D Much more likely to be used up here.

Roxyluvsme13
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
That's hilarious. Some people wore flip flops here the other day as well as mini skirts, when it was like 29 degrees. I wore flip flops today. :D

Ginger's Mom
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Ah c'mon now, didn't just seeing those flip flops make you feel sooo much warmer? :D

Taz_Zoee
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I have been wearing capri pants and flip flops for the past three weeks, even when it rained. Once I change to the next season, I can't go back. LOL

I think I need to go shoe shopping!!! :D :D :D

kuhio98
03-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Went to the grocery store again to pick up a few things. Those people are crazy! They have now moved the flip-flop display closer to the front door and filled in the gap with patio furniture!

Here's a current photo of my backyard.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pd52cdc85ad4cc5e6166a31dafa97b355/ea38a3b6.jpg

Does it look like anyone here will be wearing flip-flops around their patio furniture anytime soon? :rolleyes:

Currently 18 degrees (F) with blizzard warnings for Thompsons Pass. :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I think we established the flip-flops make excellent snow shoes.... :rolleyes: and patio furniture well....I think I spot the PERFECT spot for it....right next to the shed!... :D :D You can use it as a snow shovel holder..... :D