PDA

View Full Version : Activists - polar cub should be PTS, not "humanized"

columbine
03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
(article with photos) (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-03-20T193435Z_01_L20153798_RTRUKOC_0_US-GERMANY-POLARBEAR1.xml)
BERLIN (Reuters) - Berlin Zoo rallied to the defense of Knut, a three-month-old polar bear cub, Tuesday, rejecting demands that the animal be allowed to die after being abandoned by its mother.

The fate of "cuddly Knut" has gripped the German capital since his birth in December. Rejected by his mother Tosca, the cub was adopted by a zookeeper who moved into the animal's enclosure to care for him round the clock.

Some animal rights campaigners think this will humanize the bear too much and want the zoo to stop saving young animals.

"Hand-rearing a polar bear is not appropriate and is a serious violation of animal rights," Bild newspaper quoted animal rights campaigner Frank Albrecht as saying.

"In fact, the cub should have been killed," he added.

Berlin Zoo said the animal would not be put down or left to fend for itself: "That's complete nonsense," a spokesman said.

Knut has become an unofficial Berlin city mascot and has even had his picture taken by photographer Annie Leibovitz as part of a new climate change campaign.

Knut's mother Tosca -- formerly a performing animal in an East German zoo -- rejected Knut and his twin brother shortly after their birth. The twin died but Knut was "adopted" by zookeeper Thomas Doerflein.

The polar bear is bottle-fed, washed and cuddled by his adoptive father, who moved in to the zoo to sleep in a bed by the bears crate. Newspapers report that Doerflein also plays him Elvis songs on the guitar and gave him Christmas presents.

lvpets2002
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
:( :mad: The just flew all over me too.. Now I know they can raise this baby if they wanted too.. I am hoping another zoo will take the baby in.. Does anybody Remember Klondike & Snow polar cubs.. They were abandoned by their mother too & the Colorada Zoo Raised them & now they are in Fl Zoo.. They are adults & doing just great..

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I was fortunate enough to see Klondike and Snow in person. They are adorable! :)

lvpets2002
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
;) So did I.. I saw them at the Florida Zoo after they were adults.. I still have a shirt & mug with their baby pics on them..

momoffuzzyfaces
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Excuse me for being dumb but the line of thinking that a wonderful animal should be killed instead of raised in a zoo, just zooms right over my head!!!!

So should everyone who has a pet cat or dog let them go in the wild because they all used to be wild animals before their breeds were tamed?
:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: Now, I know no one is going to keep a polar bear in their home but still that baby sure doesn't seem to be suffering to me. Ending a life (even an animal one) is not something to be done lightly. :(

What next? Killing human orphans? :mad:

sparks19
03-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Excuse me for being dumb but the line of thinking that a wonderful animal should be killed instead of raised in a zoo, just zooms right over my head!!!!

So should everyone who has a pet cat or dog let them go in the wild because they all used to be wild animals before their breeds were tamed?
:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: Now, I know no one is going to keep a polar bear in their home but still that baby sure doesn't seem to be suffering to me. Ending a life (even an animal one) is not something to be done lightly. :(

What next? Killing human orphans? :mad:

NO.... apparently we should NOT release them... we should just kill them.

Sickening isn't it?

cassiesmom
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Brookfield Zoo had a cub (Tiguak) that was hand-raised after being abandoned by her mother. She did have to learn "bearness" from another bear about her same age. But the two of them were eventually relocated to the Zoo of Quebec in Canada - together. Another zoo should step in and provide the necessary care for this creature.

http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/content0.asp?pageid=520

Queen of Poop
03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Now I've seen everything. What sort of activist does that guy claim to be? He certainly isn't for saving the species. The bear was born in a zoo was he not? To an animal that performed in a zoo? I just don't get his line of thinking.

Blue_Frog
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Video goodness of the cute little guy for anyone interested

http://wcbstv.com/video/[email protected]

Daisy and Delilah
03-21-2007, 10:45 PM
This little bear is absolutely adorable!! I love him. I wish I could be the person to take care of him. At least I can dream :)

Barbara
03-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Please: nobody should think it is the Berlin zoo who thinks cutie Knut should be killed.
They were the ones having the guy installed who moved in with Knut and even spent Christmas and New Year's eve with him.
The zoo spokesman said - and you can read that in the articles- that this is all nonsense.
It is right that some activist's suggested it and the media spread it too much (because of course they know it would give an international uproar) - but nobody who is in charge thought so- and how could you.
If the weather is nice this weekend, little Knut will go out for the first time to see the public and half Berlin is raving about his cuteness :)

Pawsitive Thinking
03-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Dear little fella - he has as much right to life as anyone and if people can step in to help where his mum can't then that's fine by me. Too much senseless killing in the world already

sparks19
03-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Please: nobody should think it is the Berlin zoo who thinks cutie Knut should be killed.
They were the ones having the guy installed who moved in with Knut and even spent Christmas and New Year's eve with him.
The zoo spokesman said - and you can read that in the articles- that this is all nonsense.
It is right that some activist's suggested it and the media spread it too much (because of course they know it would give an international uproar) - but nobody who is in charge thought so- and how could you.
If the weather is nice this weekend, little Knut will go out for the first time to see the public and half Berlin is raving about his cuteness :)

I know it wasn't the Berlin Zoo... it was just some nut job.

I just hope (I'm sure they can) they can provide enough security to prevent these whackos from taking matters into their own hands. I would HATE HATE HATE to see anything bad happen to that poor sweet baby.

AND.... if these "activists" are all about natural life and natural death then they shouldn't be promoting death by lethal injection.... if they really thought he should live and die by the "bear code" then they should be suggesting he be released back into the wild and die naturally.

UGH.... it's just sickening to even think about.

columbine
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
AND.... if these "activists" are all about natural life and natural death then they shouldn't be promoting death by lethal injection.... if they really thought he should live and die by the "bear code" then they should be suggesting he be released back into the wild and die naturally.Nor should they be wearing clothes, using electronic devices, eating anything they don't grow or kill themselves, or possibly even alive because the "natural" thing is for a huge number of humans to die before age 2. I bet this nutjob even has the gall to bathe! With SOAP! :eek:

sparks19
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Nor should they be wearing clothes, using electronic devices, eating anything they don't grow or kill themselves, or possibly even alive because the "natural" thing is for a huge number of humans to die before age 2. I bet this nutjob even has the gall to bathe! With SOAP! :eek:

:eek: SOAP.... while that is quite a favour to the rest of us around him LOL ... he has some nerve :D

and doesn't he know that eating those vegetables is ALSO killing a living thing... it may not walk, have a heartbeat, or make noise... but it breathes and eats too. :D

cyber-sibes
03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I couldn't believe this when I saw it on the news. :rolleyes: Hrumph, "activists!" What a bunch of BS. What was the term they used ? Something like "inappropriate inter species bonding" or some such made up "scientific" reasoning. Thank God there are compassionate humans around who are willing to put the extra time & care into raising this little guy. The little bear cub is absolutely adorable, and I hope he lives a long and wonderful life.

moosmom
03-23-2007, 08:38 AM
This poor little guy needs to live at a sanctuary or something, NOT you-know-what. What are these people thinking anyways??? :eek: