PDA

View Full Version : Talk About a Scare

BCollie_Kelly
03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I was on my way home from soccer about an hour ago and was on my normal route. Along the way I know that there are quite a few homes in which have dogs, namingly one house I always have in mind...

They have a young Belgian Malinois in which was ALWAYS tied outside to a boat trailer. The dog had no access to grass and could only walk in circles around the drive way. It really pissed me off and saddened me seeing the dog just tied there night and day, but what really irked me was that the owner of the house was a POLICE OFFICER. Yes, a police officer.

I finally got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and I called a friend of ours who works with the local police department. He said that the police officer was not part of the canine unit and that it must just be his personal dog.... and that he would try to talk to him.

Thankfully, after that call I made the dog was no longer tied outside. To this date (its been about 3 months now) I've only seen it tied out once, and when I was driving by he was bringing her back inside.

But anyway, back to my ride home...

I was just nearing their house when I saw the police officer (out of uniform...) on the side of the road yelling across to something. Literally a SECOND after I looked forward I see a blurr of a dog making her way about to run right in front of my car. Had I not looked forward that second I would've hit her, but luckily I slowed down just in time, and she swerved back and ran behind my car. I'm still shaking in my seat right now just thinking about it.

I slowed to a stop and got out of the car making sure she was alright, and all the guy did was stand there screaming at her to come, and say that ' it was the 3rd time she's done it today.' I suggested that he may want to keep her on a leash instead of just letting her run like that (they don't have a fenced in yard) because just because she got lucky and caught a break this time... that doesn't mean she will next time. I really hope he does, as I would hate to see anything happen. :(

mike001
03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
That was lucky for you and the dog. Rather weird behavior for a policeman.
Funny how we sometimes think of some people as would be great owners only to discover the opposite. I hope this man wakes up to the fact that his dog needs more training and possibly more exercise and love.

BC_MoM
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Nothing worse than a Belgian with no boundaries. Poor dog. :( That must have been very scary, though!

bckrazy
03-20-2007, 07:08 PM
That's horrible! Do you have leash laws in your county? If so, he of all people should be following them. :<

cyber-sibes
03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh gosh, I'm glad you were able to avoid her! You'd think, being a cop, he would have at least walked into the street to motion for cars to stop till he got his dog safely back across. I can imagine how shook up you are, hitting an animal is one of my greatest fears when I'm driving.

BCollie_Kelly
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
I was definitely beyod shook up, thats for sure.

On my way home today I made sure to keep my eyes wide open while driving past the house, and thankfully there was no sign of the dog.

I was also really shocked with the cops attitude and perspective on the whole thing. One things for sure... I definitely don't get people sometimes...

Lady's Human
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I hate it when cops feel they are above the law, but usually something happens to knock them down a peg or two.

Hopefully that something isn't the pup getting hit by a car. No dog deserves that.

Nice driving, glad you missed her.