PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

SheltieLover234
04-16-2001, 12:48 PM
My Border Collie Goblin Has a problem.......He keeps shedding!!! all the time does anyone have any ideas to stop this problem? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Angels3
04-16-2001, 08:58 PM
Our 2 shelties shed. I reduce the amount of 'loose' hair available for shedding by giving their coats a thorough back-combing once a week & a quick one every day in heavy shedding periods.
To do this, you comb thro' the coat AGAINST the direction of the hair growth. The comb gathers up all the loose hair which you can then drop in a bin. (I once knew a sheltie owner who used to spin with the discarded hair.) You can buy special grooming combs at pets shops. But for the daily quick back- comb, I just use a strong, wide-toothed, ordinary comb which has a handle.
The handle makes it easier to hold on while the comb goes thro' the coat.
I learned how to do this from experienced sheltie breeders. Do you know any person who breeds/shows border collies (or shelties) who'd be willing to demonstrate it for you?
They would also be able to recommend combs.

shais_mom
04-16-2001, 09:52 PM
Try Linatone, or Drs foster and Smith Vitacoat plus. I noticed an improvement right away. Right now Shai is on the the VitaCoat tabs and they are great, when she is done with those I am going to try "Missing Link"
That is supposed to be awesome. Or you try some stuff called "Mrs Allan's Shed Stop".