PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Doorhangers Alert of Pet's Presence in Room

finn's mom
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I think this is something everyone who has a pet should be aware of. The sport of dock jumping and the world of dogs recently lost a good friend. Nutmeg, a chocolate labrador retriever, was over 14 years old and was a tremendous athlete and a wonderful companion to her owners. The family was at an event in Pennsylvania and their two dogs were in their hotel room while they went out for dinner. Someone called in a bomb threat to the hotel and the police (or firemen, or whoever) opened up the hotel doors. Nutmeg escaped and was killed on the highway. Dock Dogs has come up with a door hanger to alert anyone and everyone that there is a pet inside.

www.dockdogs.com

Just scroll down til you see the story entitled "Nutmeg Tribute Door Hanger Tag."

I thought this was something I should post. I know it's centered around a dog's death, but it could benefit any pet owner.

Medusa
03-20-2007, 04:55 PM
How awful! Yes, that's a good idea. Too bad it took a tragedy for it to come about, though.

momcat
03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
How terribly sad about that poor pup! Thank you so much for the heads up about the doorhanger. It really doesn't matter if we're talking about cats, dogs, hamsters, or any animal companion. Our pets are such an important part of the lives of those of us who love them. It's good to know of ways we can keep them safe and secure.

catmandu
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
What A Sad Story.
I Have A Cats Alert On My Inside Door In Case Of Fire Telling Who Ever Comes In That There Are 12 Cats Inside.
If Theres A Fire I Dont Know How On Earth They Could Keep A Count Or Have Somewhere To Store The Cats!
I Have Have To Leave My Carriers Outside So They Can Hopefully Get As Many Cats As Possible Inside.
Nutmegs A Pet Angel Now And Is Great At Taking The Smaller Angels About.
And Nutmeg Knows He Will See His Guardians Once More And Love Them.
One Fine Day.

jennielynn1970
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
That's horrible.

Back in July I helped two women from NYC find housing, and temporary shelter for their 12 cats. They ended up in this small town, in a renovated theatre that was turned into apartments. The one woman was 72 or something, and the other was in her upper 60's. Both were disabled. They adored their cats and were just devoted to them.

Well, in November, around Thanksgiving, someone started the building on fire at about 4am. The women refused to leave without the cats, and were putting them all in their carriers to get them out of the apartment - they were on the 2nd floor. And disabled.

No one helped them. No one. Everyone stood on the sidewalk, from all the reports, and watched. The investigator for the fire department was pretty insensitive when I was trying to get answers about the women and the cats. According to him, cats were not their priority. People were. None of the cats made it out of the building alive. They were all in their carriers. None of the firemen pulled the carriers out. I still can't imagine what they were feeling and going through, knowing that they couldn't get out. They should have just let the carriers open and gotten the kitties back when everything settled down. At least they would still have been alive, and the women too.

The one woman died in the house with the cats. They had nothing to identify her with, and the last I heard, they still hadn't released her remains to her son because there was nothing definite to identify her (this was in January). The one woman, who was in her 70's, was in ICU, in a coma for over a month. She passed away around Christmas. She wouldn't have wanted to live anyway, not knowing that none of the kitties made it out, and her best friend didn't either. She died not knowing, which was a blessing.

We need markers on windows, door, everywhere. We also need firemen who want to help animals, and not ignore them and let them to die in their carriers in a fire.

Medusa
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
OMG. I almost wish I hadn't read this. What a horrible story. I've never been involved in a fire in my life and if a fireman wouldn't go in to save my furkids, I'd go in myself. I'd probably do that first anyhow and not wait. But they were elderly and disabled. Those people that didn't help have no soul. Fortunately, I've been experiencing more and more men liking cats. Time was when the so-called men that I met up with hated cats. But different ones from the handy man to the house painters to the cable guy all like and have cats. And they've all told me that they were rescues, too, and that they never thought they'd like a cat but they do. When the furniture delivery men came to my house, one of them just went nuts over my fur posse, especially Puddy because of her coloring and markings. Goddess forbid if I ever hear of anyone doing harm to ANY animal and they live w/in close promiximity of me. I will be their worst nightmare.