PDA

View Full Version : Cub better off dead....

sparks19
03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
:eek:

What a cheery outlook.... Animal activists my arse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=443343&in_page_id=1811&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Karen
03-20-2007, 11:08 AM
No way is he better off dead. He is a squirmy cuite, and sure, he could never be released back into the wild after being raised by humans, but since when was that the plan, anyway?

sparks19
03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
No way is he better off dead. He is a squirmy cuite, and sure, he could never be released back into the wild after being raised by humans, but since when was that the plan, anyway?

I know isn't that terrible.... I feel so bad for that poor baby. At least he has been given a chance for survival even if it isn't "perfect" at least he is given the chance at a life.

And he just looks so miserable doesn't he :rolleyes:

Barbara
03-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Knut is a lot in the newspapers here- of course he is a star.
I would not be too much worried about that discussion.
Cutie Knut is the son of circus bear who did not care for her cubs- so his brother died. Knut will be a zoo bear- I can understand that if someone thought of putting him in the wild there would be reason to worry for him but he will have his fish (and no chips ;)) paid for by Berlin city.
There have also been voices saying that polar bears are loners (they don't live in a pack) and he will be happy alone after he is big enough.

At the moment he is just the most cuddly thing around- a pity that Berlin is so far away as he will be out for the public in a short time :)

DrKym
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Actually , the fierce predator, would be being snuggled and nuzzled by his mom in the wild.

There are many instances of wild polar bears coming into camps and making friends with sled dogs. I know of one (and I will find the link) that made friends with a cat in the wild also. No one bribed or coerced these bears, they simply chose to make the sled dogs playmates.

As for the idiocy of not domesticating a wild animal.......hope to heck the gentleman doesn't have a canine predator in his home :rolleyes:

pitc9
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
WOW!! :eek:

Those people are NUTS that think they cub should be killed!
What the HECK are they smoking???? :mad:

mike001
03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
We have a zoo a few hundred miles from here with polar bears and they seem pretty happy to me. What idiocy saying it should be killed. Animal activists never did turn my crank.

elizabethann
03-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't want the little cub to be put to sleep. But I hope they will treat it properly if they plan to put in a zoo. It is a wild animal and it shouldn't be domesticated. I've seen some zoos that are really depressing while I've seen others that truly try to make the animal feel like it's in its own habitat and the zookeepers do things that mentally stimulate the animals (like put food in containers where they have to figure out how to get the food out)...kind of like a kong for our dogs.

This story reminds me of Klondike & Snow. Though I don't think anybody wanted Klondike & Snow dead.

wombat2u2004
03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Actually , the fierce predator, would be being snuggled and nuzzled by his mom in the wild.

There are many instances of wild polar bears coming into camps and making friends with sled dogs. I know of one (and I will find the link) that made friends with a cat in the wild also. No one bribed or coerced these bears, they simply chose to make the sled dogs playmates.

As for the idiocy of not domesticating a wild animal.......hope to heck the gentleman doesn't have a canine predator in his home :rolleyes:

That is because polar bears are very intelligent Doc. They actually see the sled dog as a potential food source, and as soon as your back is turned....whammmo...the dogs gone. And that is the reason why they are called polar bears, and NOT bipolar bears....they are very smart.
Wombat