PDA

View Full Version : Uhoh! I ruined Charlie's medicine.

Scooter's Mom
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I left his Clavamox on the counter this morning when we left for work... 14 hours later when we got home, we discovered it still sitting there. It's supposed to be refrigerated.

*sigh*

I guess I have to call the vet tomorrow and get a replacement bottle. I don't know when I can pick it up, since we work so late. :(

I'm a horrible mommy.

ShylanHal
03-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Awww! That's so saad!!

If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same thing by accident, and I'm sure plenty of other people have, too. I've even done it with my own prescription medications before!

If your house was cold, then it may still be good, but I wouldn't want to take any chances... I once tried it and i found out that afterward that our house temperature spikes and it goes from lower 60s when we're away all the way to 70, and the stuff made me sick. Fortunately it wasn't bad. And it was me that suffered, not my babies. :P

But yeah, we've all had the same problem at least once in our lives, and it doesn't make you a bad mommy *hugs*

CathyBogart
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I did that at work last weekend with a full bottle of ampicillin. :(

Scooter's Mom
03-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I feel so bad, he's got bacteria and crystals in his urine and he really NEEDS that medication.

I just don't know how I'll manage to go pick up a new bottle, either. :( We're gone 12-14 hours a day during the week.

Karen
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Could you have a taxi pick it up and deliver to where you work?

Scooter's Mom
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
I work 50 miles from home. :(

That's part of why we're gone so long every day - our 2+ hours in the car.

Karen
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I work 50 miles from home. :(

That's part of why we're gone so long every day - our 2+ hours in the car.

Hmm, any neighbor who is home during the day that could receive it for you? Or pharmacy near where you work to which the vet could call in the prescription?

jennielynn1970
03-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Hmm, any neighbor who is home during the day that could receive it for you? Or pharmacy near where you work to which the vet could call in the prescription?

That's a better idea... have the vet call it in to a pharmacy close to where you work. I've had scripts filled all over, depending on where I've lived and worked. Whatever is convenient, do it that way. :)

catnapper
03-20-2007, 07:07 AM
I have some spare pills? I don't know how he is to pill, but I could send you a couple days worth of the pills if you want. PM me with your address and I'll stick them in the mail ASAP

Scooter's Mom
03-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll call the vet when they open at 9 AM, and see what they suggest. I don't think the Walgreens in our area carries it (I tried looking it up, and got a not found message). If nothing else, there is ONE neighbor who might be able to swing through and pick up a new bottle, if my hubby gives her his credit card while they're at work. I'll have him talk to her, too.

She gets off work at 2:30 or 3:00 - so unless she has someplace to go that isn't directly home (which is common as her kids are in High School sports and she frequently goes to their games after school/work) maybe she'll be able to do it.

I will post as soon as I get home tonight and let ya'll know what the situation is.

PS: Still feeling terrible and like I'm the worlds worst mom. Although I do know that accidents happen, I just want to kick myself.

emily_the_spoiled
03-20-2007, 08:20 AM
You do not need to replace the medicine. Once clavamox liquid is mixed up it is good for up to 7 days at room temp and 14 days in the fridge.

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d00088a1

(Clavamox and Amoxil are the same thing but Amoxil if for humans)

critters
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
You do not need to replace the medicine. Once clavamox liquid is mixed up it is good for up to 7 days at room temp and 14 days in the fridge.

http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d00088a1

(Clavamox and Amoxil are the same thing but Amoxil if for humans)
Clavamox has clavulanate+amoxi, but I'd probably use it, too, esp. until replaced.

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=CT&country=US&lang=EN&species=FL

emily_the_spoiled
03-20-2007, 01:57 PM
The amoxicillin is the anti-biotic in the product and that is what is unstable when it is mixed in a liquid form. The clavulanate is designed to help prevent bacteria from developing resistance to the amoxicillin.

But regardless, I wouldn't worry about leaving it out for one night.

catmandu
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
I Have Done This As Well As I Have Spilt The Cats Medicine Trying To Put It On Them , And Lost The Darned Cap And Spilled Everything Looking For It.
It Sadly Happens And You Kick Yourself As The Cats Needed That.
Bo Bo Looks Like Shes Cooperating ,then Wipes Her Salve Off Against The Cat Tree.
Grrrr!!!!
Not At 45 Dollars A Tube Bo Bo.

emily_the_spoiled
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh I sympathize. It can be next to impossible to get medicine down the throat of some of my guys (even using a burrito roll). Over the years, I have ended up with many scratches and bites and alot of medicine spit out :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Maybe phone the pharmacy and see if you can still use it even though it has sat out at room temperature. (I don't know the answer to that)

Scooter's Mom
03-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I spoke to my vet this morning and they said to definately NOT use it since it was out at around 78 degrees F for 14 hours. (I keep my house at 78 during the day, cooler when we're here... digital thermastat.)

They are open until 8pm on Thursday though. So I will go on Thursday evening and pick up a new bottle. We have rescheduled Charlies follow up visit from this Saturday to the following Saturday so he's had a full week on the medication.

Hopefully Charlie does make a huge improvement!

jennielynn1970
03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Were they not able to call it in to pharmacy close to your work or a neighbor to pick it up? Or are they not concerned with him being off the meds for a few days?