PDA

View Full Version : Dock Jumping Thread - update with video and photos from 04/28-29 posts 10 and 11

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Our names are on the Dock Dogs site, now! They haven't updated the photos page or the ranks, yet, but our names are on the "title" section! If you wanna see, just go to www.dockdogs.com and scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "national - big air" and click on "titles". It is alphabetized by the dog's name. I'm Kari and Finn got his master title on March 11. I guess the date there is when they posted it. :)

We have an event through a different organization, www.splashdogs.com, that we are attending on April 7. :) We practiced at this couple's home in Royse City this weekend and I worked a lot on my timing and throws, getting Finn over twenty feet! We're really excited that we found a place to practice and they are really nice and don't charge for the dock use. Pretty awesome.

Anyway, I'm so glad we found this sport. Even if we don't ever go any further than twenty feet, I'm so happy! :)

ramanth
03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Congrats!! I love watching them pups jump. :D

Ginger's Mom
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
You should be happy, it is quite an accomplishment. I am so excited for you and Finn. It is so much fun to have an activity you can participate in with your dog. I can't wait until you two come to our area.

finn's mom
03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Ramanth, thank you! I love watching the event, too! Now, I'm watching even closer to see if I can pick up on different techniques! ;)

Ginger's mom, thank you, too! I am very proud of what we've done, even if we don't ever jump farther. It's such a bonding experience and I'm loving it! I hope we are able to go out to the east coast to jump, too, one day! That would be awesome!

AdoreMyDogs
03-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey Kari congrats! That's just awesome! I'm so proud of you two!!! Way to go, Finn!!!

critter crazy
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Awsome Job Finn! Keep up the good work!!

cloverfdx
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh wow congratulations Kari and Finn :D. Keep up the great work. Sending Finn some good twenty feet vibes :p.

Lobodeb
03-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Congratulations, Kari and Finn!

Will we be seeing you on ESPN soon?

Kari, how do you know how to measure the jump? To the novice's eye, all I see is a big spash. Do the measure from the front of the splash?

Stupid question, I know. :o

finn's mom
03-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Congratulations, Kari and Finn!

Will we be seeing you on ESPN soon?

Kari, how do you know how to measure the jump? To the novice's eye, all I see is a big spash. Do the measure from the front of the splash?

Stupid question, I know. :o

It's not a stupid question at all! The Dock Dogs organization actually uses a fancy recorder (maybe even a video recorder or something) that measures at, I think, 30 frames a second. The system they use is accurate to a quarter of an inch. There is also a ruler on the pool. They measure from the end of the dock to the point where the dog's tail meets their body. And, at the place we practiced, they just had a long marker in the pond that they'd created themselves. Accurate enough, but not to a quarter of an inch, obviously. ;)

I'm not sure what Splash Dogs will measure with, but it's still from the end of the dock to the base of the tail! :)

finn's mom
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I think I am just going to update this thread with our progress with the sport of dock jumping. And, believe me, we continue to make progress! Finn is incredible. His average went up this weekend, none of his jumps were under 18 feet! With Dock Dogs, we started out with our first event in Fort Worth with a personal best of over 14 feet...second event was Gonzales, LA with a personal best of 18'11", winning second in amateur finals...and, now, in Guntersville, AL, we made it to the PRO finals! Finn's best jump was 20'1!!! And, it was a beautiful jump! We were fifth out of all the dogs that competed (we didn't make it to the final four, but, he did a wonderful job!)!

Max, the voice you hear on the all the Dock Dogs videos, is a great commentator. He really gets the crowd going and when he knows your story, he shares it. Not sure how he got the stat of 21'6", but the jump he's referring to in this video was Finn's personal best jump so far and it was 21'1" and was with Splash Dogs. We were in sixth place in the twelve pro finalists and with this jump, we scooted up to fifth. :) Almost every dog after Finn bested his jump, it was amazing. My parents met us (me, David, and David's sister and mom) there for the event, so Finn had quite a fan club! We both really fed off their energy and support, it was wonderful! The practice jump immediately before this jump, Finn actually jumped over twenty feet and caught the bumper! If you look closely in this video, you can see a white haired lady in pink (red?) on the other side of the pool, lifting her arms in victory when Max announces "taking over the lead" and "20'1"...that's my lovely mother. :) So, without further adieu, this is Finn's best jump with Dock Dogs.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/th_DSCN1410.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/?action=view&current=DSCN1410.flv)

finn's mom
04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Here are some photos we got while we were at the event this weekend.

He's a little blurry, but you can see his vest!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/DSC_0817.jpg

Trying to block his view of the dock...he relaxes for a moment when he can't see the dock. ;)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/DSC_1009.jpg

His great new vest! We're still trying to come up with a cool name or slogan or logo to put on the other side. I've got a couple ideas so far! :) For now, though, I think his name in bold yellow is perfect!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/DSC_0814.jpg

elizabethann
04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I just love the vest! It came out so nice!

Husky_mom
04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
have you tried the idea of a jumping Finn siloutte?

finn's mom
04-30-2007, 02:01 PM
have you tried the idea of a jumping Finn siloutte?

i've thought of it, but it's the idea for the dock dogs logo...so, i'm not sure if i could get it to look different from their's...

Ginger's Mom
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Aw, Congrats again, Finn! And I really do like the vest, I think he looks great in it.

Giselle
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Very cool!!! I remember watching dock jumping on Animal Planet a couple years back and I was so enamored with it, I tried imitating it with Lucky jumping off a low sofa. Bad idea, I know! :p I just thank God he never broke a leg while attempting my crazy ideas!

You and Finn are doing so well! I too hope to see you guys on TV ;)

finn's mom
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Very cool!!! I remember watching dock jumping on Animal Planet a couple years back and I was so enamored with it, I tried imitating it with Lucky jumping off a low sofa. Bad idea, I know! :p I just thank God he never broke a leg while attempting my crazy ideas!

You and Finn are doing so well! I too hope to see you guys on TV ;)

Hahaha, that's funny! I have always thought it would be a lot of fun, and I was right! It is an experience I would love to have every weekend. It's looking like our next event won't be until June, though.

It would be really cool to be on tv one day! Maybe next year! :) I'm hoping to have a sponsor if we're still improving by next year. :)

Vela
05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
That's so great that you guys got involved with that. It looks like you both love it just as much as the other one. He has learned so well. You must be so proud of him!