PDA

View Full Version : I AM LIVID!!!! CANDY might have to be PTS!!!

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I am absolutely in a RAGE right now!!!! Candy's breeder has contacted us to tell us that the people we placed Candy with RESOLD her (BREACH OF OUR CONTRACT) and Candy has biten someone (the friendliest Belgian in the world) and is now in danger of being PTS!!!

I am so angry I am literally fighting off a panic attack. I feel like crying and screaming and beating those people to death!

I just sent these people an email telling them that I KNOW they resold her and thanks to their actions Candy might die. I contacted my lawyer to see if our contract will hold up in court. I should have just gotten her to right the bloody thing but I never thought of it. I want to sue the pants off these people. These people seemed so nice. Marla was right, you can't trust anyone. She found out the hard way and now I have too.

I am going to post on Belg-L (a list that contains almost every breeder in the world) and tell them about whatever sick operation they may have going on. If they do not reply with some reasonable (unlikely) explanation I am absolutely going to tell every organisation I can possibly think of and ruin their entire reputation. I am SO mad.

Thankfully they rehomed her to someone on the island where her breeder actually is -- so her breeder is going to pick her up. She has to do a temperament asessment though, and it doesn't look good. The new owner says she bit someone on the trail and is afraid to have her near the children (which tells me that it isn't just a stranger-aggression problem). I am wondering since these people trained protection dogs if they tried to with Candy. Candy does NOT have the temperament for protection training, she is very soft and sensitive and she was a very shy, fearful, and unstable puppy for the first 5 months of her life. Whatever the owners did with her after her 5 months, they turned her into a lovely dog, and then these people got her and now it sounds like she's bad again. This poor dog has had way too many homes in her short life.

You just can't trust anyone these days. The amount of dishonesty in this world is truly disheartening. I am very upset. These past few months I'd wished I'd kept Candy. I wouldn't have bred her, but I ended up with a pet puppy anyways. She was such a nice dog. I am just in disbelief. All of the lies these people told.

These people are in Alberta and they "rescue" dogs and sell bomb/drug/protection trained dogs. They also run all different sorts of training classes, a boarding kennel, etc. If you would like to know who they are, please PM me.

lvpets2002
03-19-2007, 12:55 PM
:( OMG how so horrible.. Oh I would be so enraged also.. So A@#%^*) Wipes for not handling her right.. What are your options??

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
What are your options??
At this point, I don't have any options really. Contracts do not generally hold up in court. I'm having my good friend and fellow breeder who is a lawyer let me know if the contract is good enough to do something. I want these people sued. I can bet you this isn't the first time and won't be the last time they do this, and I want their operation run into the ground.

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
:( Poor Candy. I hope it's not too late for her.

king2005
03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Thats horrible :(

I think the reason the contracts don't hold up in Canadian courts is because dogs are not property.. meaning you cannot "own" one like you can a car, but you can have & care for one, & you are responsible for their actions (don't makes much sence does it? I agree)...

You cannot even let someone doggy sit here in Canada & be 100% protected.. Those people caring for the pet, can do pretty much anything they want.. get the animal fixed, & PTS :( Its 100% up to the vets to realize the person doesn't own the dog & they can hold the dog for the owner. But thats IF they notice... I wasn't that lucky & also learned the hard way. I'll never let anyone doggy sit my dog ever again (except for a kennel, its different then any joe... kinda), unless they are just coming into my home to feed, water & let the dog out to potty.. then the dog isn't in there care & they can not leggaly do anything to that dog.

I hope you can stir up enough dirt & help change the stupid laws here in Canada... I was too heart broken to fight & my ex put me in my place quickly, so I had to drop all plans I had.

luvofallhorses
03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Poor Candy! :( People make me sick! :mad: makes me wonder if she had a bad expierience there with the so-called "rescuers". :( I really hope she can be saved. :(

Karen
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Hopefully the breeder will be able to rescue and evaluate the poor girl.

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone,

My good friend who is a lawyer has assured me that we can sue. If we take them to small court, Candy will be put to sleep, and we will be rewarded money, if we take them to Queen's Bench, basically the contract follows through and Cany will be back with us (which isn't going to happen since her breeder is taking her) and we could ask the court to be rewarded our travel etc costs back, and possibly even double it, all on these people(the ones we gave Candy to)'s bill.

So at this point I am goign to wait and see what happens. Smallclaims is the way to go, it's alot cheaper, we will be alot more likely to get something out of these people, but Candy will have to be put to sleep -- so I am going to wait and see if Candy is put to sleep anyways, and then I will go forward if she is. Otherwise I do not think it's worth it to go the Q.B. route as we end up having to pay alot of money to get Candy back, which isn't going to happen, and we may or may not recieve money from the people.

ramanth
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Candy, but I'm confused. If you did not breed Candy, how did you end up with her and place her?

cyber-sibes
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I truly hope Candy will pass her temperment test & be offered to an appropriate home, poor dog. she did nothing wrong to deserve this.
The whole thing is a bit confusing, I'll just watch the thread & hope for the best outcome for Candy.

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Candy, but I'm confused. If you did not breed Candy, how did you end up with her and place her?
My co-breeder got her from a friend breeder -- when Candy's temperament did not turn out, she asked Candy's breeder if she could rehome her, her breeder said yes. She was returned 3 months later due to a family tragedy or something (I honestly can't even remember), and her temperament had turned around, she was a lovely dog, very sweet and friendly, loved everyone. Thought about co-owning her with Marla but we decided to rehome her again instead.

Freedom
03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Oh Candy, you have PT'ers routing for you gal. We are hopingfor the best for you.

Can you let us know when the breeder has her? Then at least she is with someone who understands.

ramanth
03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Poor girl. I hope you or the breeder can get her back and that she doesn't have to be PTS.

buttercup132
03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
How terrible. I really hope you get her back. What stupid stupid people.:( :mad:

Vela
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I hope she is able to be saved =(

Lori Jordan
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
This is Horrible,It really saddens me on how irresponsible people really are!

My Thoughts and Prayers go out to you and Candy!

I hope this all can be resolved.

Best wishes to all involved!

BC_MoM
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
:(:(:( Poor CANDY!!!! :(:(:(

I'm hoping for the best, and that she doesn't need to be PTS.... :(:(

NicoleLJ
03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I am absolutely in a RAGE right now!!!! Candy's breeder has contacted us to tell us that the people we placed Candy with RESOLD her (BREACH OF OUR CONTRACT) and Candy has biten someone (the friendliest Belgian in the world) and is now in danger of being PTS!!!

I am so angry I am literally fighting off a panic attack. I feel like crying and screaming and beating those people to death!

I just sent these people an email telling them that I KNOW they resold her and thanks to their actions Candy might die. I contacted my lawyer to see if our contract will hold up in court. I should have just gotten her to right the bloody thing but I never thought of it. I want to sue the pants off these people. These people seemed so nice. Marla was right, you can't trust anyone. She found out the hard way and now I have too.

I am going to post on Belg-L (a list that contains almost every breeder in the world) and tell them about whatever sick operation they may have going on. If they do not reply with some reasonable (unlikely) explanation I am absolutely going to tell every organisation I can possibly think of and ruin their entire reputation. I am SO mad.

Thankfully they rehomed her to someone on the island where her breeder actually is -- so her breeder is going to pick her up. She has to do a temperament asessment though, and it doesn't look good. The new owner says she bit someone on the trail and is afraid to have her near the children (which tells me that it isn't just a stranger-aggression problem). I am wondering since these people trained protection dogs if they tried to with Candy. Candy does NOT have the temperament for protection training, she is very soft and sensitive and she was a very shy, fearful, and unstable puppy for the first 5 months of her life. Whatever the owners did with her after her 5 months, they turned her into a lovely dog, and then these people got her and now it sounds like she's bad again. This poor dog has had way too many homes in her short life.

You just can't trust anyone these days. The amount of dishonesty in this world is truly disheartening. I am very upset. These past few months I'd wished I'd kept Candy. I wouldn't have bred her, but I ended up with a pet puppy anyways. She was such a nice dog. I am just in disbelief. All of the lies these people told.

These people are in Alberta and they "rescue" dogs and sell bomb/drug/protection trained dogs. They also run all different sorts of training classes, a boarding kennel, etc. If you would like to know who they are, please PM me.

Even though I am very sick and weak today(nothing is staying down and my head is pounding amoung other things) I just had to let you know that I am here for you. Trust me I know all about dishonest people. Having dealt with a few in my life. I will pray that some how she will pass her test and she can have a second chance. I am here if you need to talk or vent and if I can help in any way please let me know.
Nicole & Sheena

mike001
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM
My co-breeder got her from a friend breeder -- when Candy's temperament did not turn out, she asked Candy's breeder if she could rehome her, her breeder said yes. She was returned 3 months later due to a family tragedy or something (I honestly can't even remember), and her temperament had turned around, she was a lovely dog, very sweet and friendly, loved everyone. Thought about co-owning her with Marla but we decided to rehome her again instead.

WOULFSOUL---At this point just hold your breath and do everything in your power to save Candy, this has to be your first mission. After you get her back, hopefully, and I do hope you will get her back or your friend will, then will be time enough to go to court. Believe me if those people tried to train her for protection work knowing her temperament you will probably walk away the winner. A lot of people would rathere just pay than have the trouble of going to court so you might also get lucky there. In the meantime, bide your time until Candy is safe.
There are dishonest people in all walks of life and unfortunately you just ran into some. Best to you and Candy.

Alysser
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I hope she can be saved. Poor Candy! :(

applesmom
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Candy is having to go through this. Hope it works out to her benefit.

Are the laws regarding biting incidents more stringent in Canada than they are in America?

In the majority of cases here, a single biting incident would not be a reason for a dog to be put down. A couple of weeks in quarantine, payment of a fine, and a promise of better control and supervision of the dog in the future and it would be done with. A severe bite, attack or repeat incident could lead to what poor Candy is going through now.

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind posts,

Candy's breeder called me and says she is picking Candy up next Monday. The bite does not sound like an aggressive attack, but rather the mark of a high drive Belgian. A jogger ran in-between Candy and her new owner and she turned and bit his ankle, hard enough that it did injure him, but probably not an aggressive action on Candy's part. She is highly prey driven and does go after moving objects (and unfortunatly when you are a Belgian, this can mean people too -- too many people get this breed without fully understanding this). The lady has two young children and is concerned Candy may be a bit much for them -- the reason Marla gave Candy to me when she was placed BACK with her was that Candy would chase and nip her children (not in an aggressive way of course). I had started to break her of this behaviour but in the one or two months I had her I obviously couldn't have completely broken her of it. She would try to bite bicycle wheels that went past us, etc. The new owners tried to contact the people that sold Candy to them -- messages, emails, etc, and the people refuse to contact them back. So I am sure my email will be ignored.

I have cooled myself down a bit, am still very angry at the people I gave Candy to, but am not sure of my options.
Since Candy is going back to her breeder, I can very well leave out the part that Candy bit anyone (so the court can not have her destroyed) and go ahead discussing the breach of contract.
What amount we will be given is a hard one -- I think that it is fair we recieve the original purchase price, money for food/other care we provided for the first 5 months we had her and then the next 2 months we had her when she was returned again, and honestly I think they should have to pay more but that would be up to the court.
I am not sure how to go to small claims court. My friend the lawyer is not answering her email atm. If anyone else here knows about this legal stuff, please contact me. I don't even know where to go to do this. She just said I'd have to pay a minimal amount and made it sound like things would take care of themselves. I want to hit these people where it hurts.

Giselle
03-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Oh poor Candy :(

Instead of asking for monetary refund, I think spreading the word would be the most beneficial to the world of Belgians. From the looks of it, this probably isn't the first time they've done something so irresponsible and hypocritical. Do you think you could do some research on their past dogs and see if others have filed complaints? I wouldn't hesitate to compile a list of dissatisfied owners and forward this to the Belgian List. I hope Candy gets her justice!

mike001
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the wonderful update on Candy. I'm so glad to hear she won't suffer the consequences of ignorant people.
As for small claims court, if it's the same everywhere, you go and pick up your forms at the judicial office, you will receive a handbook on how to proceed and you have to do all the paperwork and pay the filing fee. The system takes care of delivering your claim to the people you are suing. But you have to act as your own lawyer, some bring lawyers but it seems to impede rather than help. If you get a dog loving judge, the case is half won. Just make sure you get every single detail ready for when you present yourself. If the accused don't show up, you automatically win by default.

ramanth
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope it all works out for you.

BC_MoM
03-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm glad to hear that things are looking a little brighter for Candy. :)

Kalei
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh poor poor Candy.:( I really hope something can be done to help her. I wish there was a way that you could get her back. I am going to pray for Candy and that whatever happens will be the best thing for her and not these people who call themselves human beings.

luvofallhorses
03-30-2007, 10:48 PM
are there any updates on Candy?

wolfsoul
03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Candy is with her breeder now -- I don't have any updtaes as of yet except that I know the people sold her for $500. They haven't responded to any of my efforts to contact them, and since talking to several people, I've discovered that they breed ATLEAST dobermans, GSDs, and small mixed breeds. They told me they did not breed and only owned a few working GSDs and a yorki. I know now that they have GSDs, dobermans, and atleast one yorki, one pom, and one american eskimo that I know of.

I strongly recommend that anyone involved in rescue or breeding contact me -- these people go as far as importing rescues, and they will resell them.

Karen
03-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Gosh it is good that Candy is back with her breeder. Hopefully she will find a new and better home.