PDA

View Full Version : "Whenever" and "Seen"

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
*PET PEEVE ALERT*

I do not have perfect grammar or spelling. I mess up just as much as the next guy. I'm not picking on anyone in particular!! That being said, I can't stand misuse of the words "whenever" and "seen"!!!

"I seen this" is NEVER correct. It should be "I saw this"

"Whenever I went to Grandma's house last Tuesday" is NEVER correct.
"When I went to Grandma's house last Tuesday..." is correct.
Or you could say "Whenever I would go to Grandma's house, she would bake cookies" or something like that!

What misused words or phrases drive you crazy??

sirrahved
03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
"Seen" drives me bananas. That's what my mom calls "Montcalmish."

How about made up words that people think they're using correctly?
Irregardless
Flustrated

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Irregardless
Flustrated

Oops!! I have to admit that I use "flustrated" all the time :rolleyes: :p It makes Tyler giggle :D

BC_MoM
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Ahhh... "I seen ____" ALWAYS gets on my nerves!! lol!!

AdoreMyDogs
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
"Seen" used improperly drives me nuts and also incorrect grammer that drives me nuts is "don't" used in the context, "that don't matter". The correct word(s) is, "that does not matter" or "that doesn't matter".

:) I see a lot of incorrect grammer here in Texas, more then I've ever seen before when I lived in Michigan. Not sure why, but every time I hear it, it bugs me hehe.

Lobodeb
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Couldn't you say I've SEEN that movie? :confused:

I use seen a lot, but never "I seen that movie." I would use the "I've."

One that bugs me to no end is gots. My husband uses it all the time. "My brother gots this new CD you would like." Oh, he HAS a CD that I would like? I'm forever correcting him.

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Couldn't you say I've SEEN that movie? :confused:

I use seen a lot, but never "I seen that movie." I would use the "I've."

One that bugs me to no end is gots. My husband uses it all the time. "My brother gots this new CD you would like." Oh, he HAS a CD that I would like? I'm forever correcting him.

Yes! "I've seen that movie" is just fine :) So is "I have seen that movie"! It's only incorrect when you leave out that modifier thingy or whatever it's called!

Lol! "Gots" :D :D That would make me crazy!

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 12:12 PM
This site is a hoot!
http://www.grammarerrors.com/

sirrahved
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
:) I see a lot of incorrect grammer here in Texas, more then I've ever seen before when I lived in Michigan. Not sure why, but every time I hear it, it bugs me hehe.

Like I said, my mother calls it "Montcalmish." You must have not lived in Montcalm county, Michigan!

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM

I feel like a snob for noticing that but it is so true!! At church yesterday I was having a hard time focusing on what the heck our teacher was trying to say because I couldn't figure out what on earth he was saying :D :D :D

My issue, which I'm sure annoys some people, is knowing where to put commas. I used to be excellent at using punctuation properly but since leaving school I have grown to be worse and worse at it!

prechrswife
03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
"Ideal" instead of "idea" drives me crazy. I was at a 2 week long in-service a couple of years ago, and our otherwise excellent instructor would repeatedly say "ideal" when she meant "idea." It was very distracting.

Also, punctuation-wise, it drives me crazy to see " 's" at the end of a word to make it plural. An apostrophe and the letter "s" shows ownership.

sirrahved
03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Oops!! I have to admit that I use "flustrated" all the time :rolleyes: :p It makes Tyler giggle :D

Don't let Jason hear you say flustrated. My friend Elisha uses that one all the time. It drives Jason up a wall!

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Irregardless

Unfortunately, "irregardless" is now in the dictionary and considered acceptable. Blech.

I have many pet peeves when it comes to grammar.

"SupposeBly" instead of "SupposeDly" is one that makes my blood boil. It sounds incredibly childish.

When people say "alTso" instead of "also." Nails on a chalkboard. ;)

It's already been stated, but when people say "I seen a dog..." or "I seen a movie...", that bothers me.

You know, it's funny. It bothers me when I see that certain words have been added to the dictionary (perfect example is "irregardless", I used to cringe when my dad said it). But, honestly, if the dictionary weren't constantly updated, we would all still be speaking like Ben Franklin. I'm learning to just roll with the punches, so to speak. Although there are just some things that are flat out improper speech and will doubtfully ever be accepted.

The only thing that really bothers me is not that people don't know any better or don't realize something is incorrect. I'm sure there are a ton of words I use incorrectly and that I don't use perfect sentence structure. My biggest issue is with people who are unwilling to adjust their speech or their writing/typing even once they know it's incorrect. Life's all about learning and growing and it bugs me when people are okay with stagnation. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. :)

I love threads like this!

Catlady711
03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
What really drives me up a wall is people who pronnounce words completely wrong.

I put the kickstandard down on my bicycle.

I warshed my clothes.

My cat was spayded, had her rabbies and distemperment shot.

That is a nice wotriller. (rottweiler)

Do you realize how difficult it is to even spell these words the way people pronnounce them? lol

kimlovescats
03-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok, I've got one for you! My husband and I still joke about this one. Jerry's sister-in-law uses very poor grammer. A few years ago when the spaceshuttle exploded right after its take-off, the family got together for a dinner. We all met in our cars in a parking lot, to follow eachother to the restaurant. When sil pulled up, we rolled our windows down to say "hi" to eachother. The first thing out of her mouth was, "did ya'll see where that space shuttle blowed up?" :eek: :rolleyes: :p It was all we could do to answer her without laughing or showing our shock. She is the sweetest lady you could ever want to meet, but that type of grammer just makes people look stupid, even if they aren't! :confused:

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I warshed my clothes.

hahahaha, my mom says that. ;) i've learned to not be too irritated by pronunciation that has more to do with regional accents (although it still irks me sometimes) as opposed to mispronunciations altogether, like this other one you stated:

That is just plain wrong. No accent there, it's just wrong. ;)

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en :D :D
Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
Orange vs Ornge
Crayon vs Cran
:p :D

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
"did ya'll see where that space shuttle blowed up?"

Oh, yeah. I would have had to say something. ;)

I'll catch David saying "boughten." He's becoming much more aware of some of his bad grammar habits (EVERYONE has a few!), and he'll correct himself now. ;)

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Ya'll.....
I love the term "Ya'll" :D
I wouldn't have been caught dead saying it before moving here but now I am getting used to it! It's kind of comforting. You can't say "ya'll" without a hint of a smile.

"Ya'll come back now, ya hear??" :D

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Ya'll.....

I love it, too. Don't hate me, but one of my tiny pet peeves is the apostrophe in that word. The word is a contraction of you and all. So, it looks like this: "y'all". I almost didn't type this, but I think you'll smile about it instead of getting mad that I pointed it out at all. At least, I hope so! It's not meant to be negative.

I love saying it, too, although I will avoid saying "fixin' to" like my life depended on it. ;)

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I still remember the first time that I said ya'll in an everyday conversation. I had just moved here to Texas and was at Lowe's looking for a dolly to move our washer and dryer... I walked up to the salesman and said "Do ya'll sell dollies?"
When I realized what I had said I was floored!! :rolleyes: :D :D I'm about as Yankee as they come :rolleyes: :D

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I love it, too. Don't hate me, but one of my tiny pet peeves is the apostrophe in that word. The word is a contraction of you and all. So, it looks like this: "y'all". I almost didn't type this, but I think you'll smile about it instead of getting mad that I pointed it out at all. At least, I hope so! It's not meant to be negative.

I love saying it, too, although I will avoid saying "fixin' to" like my life depended on it. ;)

*cough* excuse me. Y'all had best leave my spelling and grammar alone. This here is my thread and I'm a fixin' to throw a conniption fit!! :D :D :D

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
*cough* excuse me. Y'all had best leave my spelling and grammar alone. This here is my thread and I'm a fixin' to throw a conniption fit!! :D :D :D

hee hee, welcome to texas, purty lady.

Sirrahsim
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
hehe :) :D :D

mruffruff
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
How about Prolly, y'all? :rolleyes: It's 'probably'!!

And don't wait on me to get there. Wait FOR me. This one has become national and international and still is WRONG!

To, too, two are some others that shouldn't be interchanged. To indicates direction, too means also, two is the number.

Some things I can forgive if it's a simple thing such as seperate for separate (or is it the other way around?). And I do understand honest typos. But I do think everyone should TRY.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to look up diarrhea :eek:

sirrahved
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en :D :D
Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
Orange vs Ornge
Crayon vs Cran
:p :D

Chris and Carole would say kit-ten and mit-ten.

I say cran, and I will NEVER back down from that! :D I never even met anyone that said cray-on until college.

One Jason and I go around and around over is tin-ten or pin-pen. For some reason he doesn't think they should be pronounced differently :rolleyes:

AdoreMyDogs
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh another one I just thought of...saying "litature" instead of litERature! This is something that's bugged me for a very long time! I actually had an English Literature professor in college pronounce it litature! I couldn't believe it! I'm really not a snob but I found this ironic that a lit prof didn't even know how to pronounce literature :)

And as for Y'all, I'll never say this unless it's in mocking hehe. I'll always be a Yankee :p

Oh, and it doesn't really bother me too much, but the southerners here in TX end words like tornado, window, willow, in an 'a'...example: tornada, winda, willa. I've had a few people tell me that Quinn Willa is a pretty name, I correct them and say that it's WilloW not WillA :) Hehe. Now my husband jokingly calls our daughter Quinn Willa :eek:

Randi
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Spelling IS important - some of us are trying to learn here!! ;) ;) One of these PT Spelling threads even made it into/in to? "Thread of the year"!

I do make some blunders myself, no doubt, but I don't understand how anyone can mix up "then" and "than".

Some of the first things I learned in English class was this:
I am
you are
he/she(it is
they/you/we are

However, I still get it wrong sometimes... just had a look at your link, and I noticed that I've been spelling "definitely" wrong all along. :o I may remember in the future. ;)

Sirrasim, your first example of using "whenever" wrong/wrongly? is pure ignorance.

It's actually amazing what you're able to read, however bad it is spelt. Someone posted a really funny post about it last year - I can't remember the title.

Edwina's Secretary
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
"at"....as in "where's it at?" "Where is it?" The "at" is useless, unnecessary and hurts my ears.

RedHedd
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Ah, my favorite kind of thread ;) One that I hear a lot of lately is "on accident" as in, "I did it on accident" instead of by accident. Where did that come from? I even caught my boss saying it the other day - on purpose!! :rolleyes:

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Is it; waiting "on" line or......waiting "in" line?

All of "a" sudden or.....all of "the" sudden?

Somebody mentioned supposeBly as opposed to supposeDly. :rolleyes: That one kills me, among others :confused:

Karen
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
This thread reminds me somehow of the Robert Burns quote:

O wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us.
And foolish notion;
What airs in dress and gait wad lea'e us,
And ev'n devotion!

In more modern English, it says "Oh, would some Power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us!" and I'm sure you can all suss out the meaning of the rest.

I learned by first grade that one would not make friends by correcting one's classmates' grammar - but I did so anyway when it really bugged me, especially my neighbor who pronounced spaghetti as "puzgeddy" ...

My pet peeve are misplaced apostrophes, and when I see them used incorrectly on signage or in an advertisement, I will tell the store employees, especially on handwritten - and therefore easily corrected - signs.

Lobodeb
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Here's one that bugs me. There, their and they're. They're different words and aren't interchangeble!

Also its and it's. I have to think twice before I type that one.

And, since we're all sharing our pet peeves, here's some that I'm terribly guilty of...(yes, I just ended my sentence with a preposition.) :p

Affect and effect. What is the proper way to use this? "How will this affect me?"

CathyBogart
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
The one that makes me want to tear out my hair is when people say "woof" instead of "wolf".

Karen
03-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Affect and effect. What is the proper way to use this? "How will this affect me?"

From http://www.askoxford.com

To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'. Confusingly, either may produce an 'effect' or result. ('An affect' is a technical term in psychology.)

Correct usage:
The stability of the wall was affected by passing lorries.
The demolition of the wall was effected by the detonation of a charge of dynamite.
The dynamite did not just 'affect' (influence) the demolition of the wall: it caused it.

kitten645
03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I feel like a snob for noticing

Being educated, using it and caring enough to think isn't being a snob!! Be proud!! :p

That website is a hoot! I am always appalled when I see public signage with misspellings or improper grammar. I'm always very self conscious when writing for public view! I try to make extra sure it's correct.

I saw an interesting comment in a movie about Dorothy Parker. The person said that there are few great writers anymore because writers then treated language like a science. Parceling sentences so they were correctly "formulated". I remember dissecting sentences at school. I doubt it's done today.

krazyaboutkatz
03-20-2007, 12:16 AM
"at"....as in "where's it at?" "Where is it?" The "at" is useless, unnecessary and hurts my ears.
This also drives me crazy and I hear it on a daily basis because this is the way my boss talks.

I also don't like it when people say ain't. I think it makes them seem so uneducated. My co-worker says this word a lot.

The word "seen" being misused has also always bothered me.

I've also been guilty about ending sentences with prepositions and I've done this on Pet Talk.:o

Pam
03-20-2007, 06:33 AM
I learned by first grade that one would not make friends by correcting one's classmates' grammar - but I did so anyway when it really bugged me, especially my neighbor who pronounced spaghetti as "puzgeddy" ...

Karen I wish I could do that. I work with a girl who misuses Moot and Mute. She always says that something is a Mute Point. I have to bit my tongue because I want to refer her to the remote control on her TV. :D

Moot - 1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

Mute -1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance.
2. not emitting or having sound of any kind.

Another word that really bothers me is nuclear. So many people (our president is included in this) say nucular. :eek: That just makes me crazy!

buckner
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I really only find what people type to be annoying. Sure, some things cause me to cringe when I hear it being said, but I realize that I make some of the same mistakes.

Some of my words are "blended" together, and therefore I appear uneducated about language. But, sit me in front of a computer and I can type it correctly for you, along with a definition and it being used correctly in a sentence. I type with good grammar because it's needed for college papers and such, but I say stuff as if I'm living on a farm. Some letters are said longer and not always in the correct way (ice sounds like a form of a donkey...).

I understand how it can be pet peeves to say stuff incorrectly, but we all make the same mistakes. Most of it is a regional difference - we were brought up realizing we could talk like that and still communicate just fine.

finn's mom
03-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I just remembered one that bothers me a lot. When people say "welp" instead of "welt" when referring to a raised mark on their skin, like if a branch slapped them or something like that. "whelp" is to raise a litter. "welt" is a raised mark on the skin. ;)

Randi
03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I remember dissecting sentences at school. I doubt it's done today.
Ah, I bet you're right, and this is probably the root of the problem.

I could't find the text I was looking for, but this one is similar. :D

Eye halve a spelling chequer

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when I rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's Hour
spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flair,
Their are no fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a ware.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays,
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting too pleas.

-- Sauce Unknown

... and here's a link to some Brtitish slang, I think Killiarn Kitties posted it earlier, but it's worth another look.

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

What is EFFINGPOT anyway?

In 1992 I took my girlfriend to Florida for our first vacation together. It was great - we stayed in that huge hotel opposite Sea World and had a fabulous time. The only problem we had was when we tried to book tables at restaurants. It was so hard to get people to understand our accents.

The hardest bit was with my name, Etherington. I would spell it over and over but it was never conveyed correctly. One afternoon the concierge gave us the number of a local restaurant and overheard me in terrible trouble trying to get them to understand me, and offered to make the call for us.

I stood there and listened to see what I was doing wrong ...

"Two people"

"Eight o'clock"

"No smoking"

"Etherington, no, Etherington"

"Sure, E - T - H"

"No E, yes E that's right"

"E T H"

"No E, yes E for Edward"

And so it went on, finally we had a reservation.

Anyway we turned up at this nice seafood restaurant on International Drive and told the guy at the desk that we had a reservation for eight o'clock in the name of Etherington.

He quite bluntly told us that we did NOT have a reservation and that they were full. If we would like to come back in an hour then they might be able to seat us then. I told him that actually we DID have a reservation as I had heard it being made for us.

Then he got a bit stroppy and told me again that they were full, they did NOT have a reservation and to go away. Before he got completely nasty to us I asked him just to confirm if they had ANY reservations for eight o'clock. He looked in the book and said that they did actually have one. I asked him if it was for two people in non-smoking and he said that it was was. Then I asked him who it was for and he said.

"Sir I have told you we do not have a reservation for you, this one is for Dr Effingpot!!!". And from that moment on it just stuck!

Edit! Ah, I found what I was looking for. It was Sirrabed who posted this years ago.

"Can you read this??

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a orbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt".

prechrswife
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Also its and it's. I have to think twice before I type that one.

On the its and it's thing, we actually bought a box of Christmas cards the year before last that were beautiful on the outside, and the sentiment inside was good, but it said something along the lines of "...the star of Christmas shines it's light..." We took them back to the store for a refund and purchased different cards. Now, I read the inside very carefully before purchasing any card.

As for affect and effect, the easiest way for me to remember is that "affect" is an "action." They both start with the letter a, so "affect" is a verb. "Effect," then is a noun.

Lobodeb
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
As for affect and effect, the easiest way for me to remember is that "affect" is an "action." They both start with the letter a, so "affect" is a verb. "Effect," then is a noun.

Ok, so "the special effects of the movie affected me in a way I didn't expect."

:D

Is that wright? hehehehe, just kidding.

Randi
10-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a new question... when do you use "assume" and when do you use "presume"? Oh and surmise?

And a few more...

speak/talk

stamina/perseverance

explain/elucidate

Anyone know?

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I have a new question... when do you use "assume" and when do you use "presume"? Oh and surmise?

And a few more...

speak/talk

stamina/perseverance

explain/elucidate

Anyone know?

What fun questions! Let's see what people come up with (without using a dictionary!)

Assume means to come to a conclusion based based on surrounding information.

Presume to me is just about the same thing - only with more emphasis

Surmise - drawing a conclusion - has a certain connotation to me of looking down your nose at the person who does not surmise as your do

Speak/talk - same thing - one just has more letters

Stamina is energy. Again - connotation - lots of energy

Stamina is what I need to have to persevere.:D

Preseverance - sticks with a task even though it is difficult

Explain/elucidate - mean the same thing - to describe. Elucidate has an air about it of "I will tell you, you poor simpleton, how it really is."

K9soul
10-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I would use speak when referring to a language, i.e. "I speak English," "Do you speak Spanish?"

"Talk" seems maybe slightly more informal, like "We need to talk." "Let's talk about pets." But when someone is giving a speech or a lecture they are usually considered to be "speaking" or a "speaker." Subtle differences and in some cases interchangeable.

Randi
10-17-2009, 12:16 PM
It's amazing, the more English I read and write, the more I'm becoming? aware how much more I need to learn. :o I realize I can not apply for a job where they want "fluent English".

AdoreMyDogs, I caught you - he he! ;) See this:

I see a lot of incorrect grammer here in Texas, more then I've ever seen before when I lived in Michigan.
Lots are making this mistake, though - and I will never understand why.

Catherinedana
10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
OK - I'm from Brooklyn and when I moved to Florida (pronouned Fla-rida by me and Floor-ida) by most others, I got a bit of ribbing about my accent. I have lost the most intense part of my accent living outside of NY now for 15 years (I have learned to pronounce the "r" at the end of words! LOL!) but still backslide when I'm with my family or very comfortable with someone or very angry. I have my college degree in English and am a good writer, understanding the finer points of punctuation and such but I also believe that spoken English is very different from written. I would like to see folks take more care with their written English, but I absolutely LOVE accents and enjoy talking to people from other places and hearing how they speak. My former husband was from Ireland and he and his friends and relatives had me enraptured with their accents and use of words. I think that's the only reason I married him!!!! :p

Cut people some slack about their language use when they talk and enjoy the differences. . .it's really cool! One thing that does make me a bit nuts though is th use of "heigth" instead of "height". It's just plain incorrect and makes even the most intellegent person sound dopey. I hear that a lot in FL where I live. I even yelle at one of my bosses once when he said it repeatedly throughout the day and drove me crazy! :D

Cheers!
Cathy (formerly of Brooklyn, New Yawk)

Randi
10-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm not completely sure, but the pronounciation of "heigth" as "hieght", sounds like it could be a person from South Africa, perhaps?

orangemm
10-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I've seen a lot of people write "could of" instead of "could have". WHY???

Or if someone says "She gave the gift to Bill and I"..........ARGH!:mad::mad:

Also, the improper use of to and too.

Also, "loosing weight", HUH?

People, please, go back to school and learn proper English!

Am I too picky?

AdoreMyDogs
10-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Another "Southern" word that I just can't stand is "tumped". It's a combination of tipped and dumped, and it makes me crazy. It either tipped over, or it dumped, it did NOT tump! I had never heard that word before I came to TX and now I hear it all the time. I don't want my children saying that blasted word. Also, here in TX I hear the word "pinch" mispronounced. I hear folks call it "peenched" with the e sounding like E (not sure how else to explain it). I always say it correctly to my daughter when she hears it pronounced incorrectly by someone.

pomtzu
10-17-2009, 03:58 PM
My big pet peeve is the improper use of: "waiting on" vs "waiting for" - but it seems that more and more people all the time, use it the wrong way.

Waiting for - anticipation of a coming event or action.
i.e. - I'm waiting for a UPS delivery. I'm waiting for Billy to get home from school. And so on... I'm not waiting on these events.

Waiting on - a service given to one person by another.
i.e - The waitress is waiting on tables. The sales clerk is waiting on a customer. And so on... They are not waiting for these people. Of course in this neck of the woods, a lot of people seem to think it's one word too: waitin'on. :p

I was raised in New England, and never heard anyone use "waiting on" in the wrong way - until I met my ex - who was raised in Pa and Md. I'm assuming it's a geographical thing, but I do hear it more and more all the time. I was able to break him of it :D:D:D, and my kids and grandkids have always used it the correct way.

Another one that gripes me is "seen" when it should be "saw".

A very educated friend of mine cannot be convinced that she is saying something wrong. She's meaning to say "It's a dog eat dog world", but instead insists on saying "It's a doggy-dog world". For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the heck she was talking about, and then the light went on. I politely told her in a joking manner what it should be, but to no avail...:(

moosmom
10-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Here's one for you. "I axed my mother if I can go to the mall." That drives me up the wall!!!!

Another one is "irregardless". There is no such word. It's regardless.

karyn674
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Insuriance instead of insurance drives me MAD! Obviously no one writes it that way but pronounces it...... on a TV program!?!?! Crazy!!

finn's mom
10-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Another one is "irregardless". There is no such word. It's regardless.

Actually, it's in the dictionary, now. :( I think I pointed that out in this thread already at the beginning, but it stands repeating because it really does suck, haha. It sucks that it's considered acceptable, now. :(

Oh, and Leslie, my husband uses "tumped" to mess with me. He's from Louisiana and they say it down there, too. He doesn't use it "for real" but he does say it to rile me up.

And, my ex husband's family is from Indiana, and they ALL say "peenched" instead of "pinch" and "cooshion" instead of "cushion." It was crazy to hear all those people say that! The worst is "doberman peencher", hahaha, it just sounds so unintimidating. ;)

cassiesmom
10-18-2009, 05:14 PM

ES, this is proof that you don't live in Chicago anymore :) where's it at is a total Chicago thing!
Here is a lesson on Chicago-speak: http://www.seanparnell.com/Chicago/Chicagoese.htm

And Pomtzu, I think "waiting on" might be a Chicago thing too... we're just waiting on Elyse to get here, and then we'll head out.

My future-nephew-in-law is from New Jersey and we have had a lot of laughs over pronouncing marry, merry, and Mary.

I've got two current pet peeves ... nuclear- the word is not noo-kyoo-lar, it's noo-clee-ar. Same thing with jewelry -- the word is not jew-luh-ry, it's jew-el-ry, just like it looks.

And the other is voila. It's from the French language ... say vwa-la, because the V is not silent. Note that it's not spelled wa-la, either.

Edwina's Secretary
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
ES, this is proof that you don't live in Chicago anymore :) where's it at is a total Chicago thing!

And Pomtzu, I think "waiting on" might be a Chicago thing too... we're just waiting on Elyse to get here, and then we'll head out.

I am a Northsider....that's why!

On the northside, neighborhoods are defined by parks on the southside by parish!

One other Chicagoese that annnoyed me was "I am going by my mother's after work." I would always ask..."Do you wave?"

phesina
10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
It's amazing, the more English I read and write, the more I'm becoming? aware how much more I need to learn. :o I realize I can not apply for a job where they want "fluent English".

Randi, you speak (or at least write) English beautifully! I don't think I know even one word of Danish :confused: .

finn's mom
10-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I've got two current pet peeves ... nuclear- the word is not noo-kyoo-lar, it's noo-clee-ar. Same thing with jewelry -- the word is not jew-luh-ry, it's jew-el-ry, just like it looks.

Oh my gosh, those bug me, too! Especially jewelry! I HATE those 'cash for gold' commercials where one or two of the actors always mispronounces jewelry! It drives me completely bananas, it sounds incredibly dumb to me. :(

Catherinedana
10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm not completely sure, but the pronounciation of "heigth" as "hieght", sounds like it could be a person from South Africa, perhaps?

It IS pronounced height with the "T" sound on the end of the word, since it is actually spelled that way and if you check the dictionary (go online and they even pronounce it for you) that is the correct way. "Heigth" with the "th" sound at the end of the word, is spelled and pronouned incorrectly. . .

moosmom
10-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Irregardless IS in the dictionary??? Wow! Live and learn I suppose.

Randi
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Catherinedana, I made a typo, I actually meant "height" and "hieght". South Africans seem to pronounce evrything with more emphasis on the i's, don't they.

Phesina, thank you for kind words. :) I'm trying my best. Of course, it helps to keep in touch with certain PTalkers. ;)

mruffruff
10-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I will never get used to the improper use of "waiting on". Newscasters, teachers, politicians, EVERYONE seems to use it wrong.

If you are waiting on someone, they must be very uncomfortable under you. And I wait IN line.

Run-on sentences drive me nuts! Commas and periods are like yeild and stop signs. They can make a totally illegible paragraph make sense.

kokopup
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Being a card carrying southerner I am guilty of using fixin and Y'all in my everyday speech. I have traveled all over the world and have found that there are MINOR differences all over the US. One that bugs me used by my daughter-in-law, a New Yorker, is "these ones". I don't think this is unique to her since I have heard this used in other parts of the US. For those critical of us southerner using y'all how about the use of "youse" or "youse Guys". I'll take y'all any day. Although there are some regional differences here in the US the use of slang is minimal here compared to the British Isles. You have to go to mainland Europe to hear proper English spoken y'all.:D

Randi
10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I find "y'all" quite charming. :p I heard it the first time by a couple from Texas (of course! :D ). And I've heard it recently here, by a girl I know from Indiana.

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Irregardless IS in the dictionary??? Wow! Live and learn I suppose.

Yes, ma'am. I'm referring to the online merriam webster edition, but as far as I know, it's legit. When you consider ginormous and staycation are both in there, too...it doesn't shock you as much. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I've always pronounced it "Kit-en" and it would drive my ex-coworker crazy, she insisted it was "Kit- ten".

That's one I can't get right. My husband has tried to help me with it many times, but I just can't get it right. I really try to avoid using those words.

Catty1
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
"Your" (means you own it) and "You're" (you are).

If there is an apostrophe in a word, chances are there's a letter missing - it's a contraction. Apostrophes are a hint...;)

I remember my grandmother saying "warsh" for "wash" all her life. She was born in Washington State and lived there til she was a teen. I have some friends born and raised there that say the same thing. Dialect, I guess.

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I remember my grandmother saying "warsh" for "wash" all her life. She was born in Washington State and lived there til she was a teen. I have some friends born and raised there that say the same thing. Dialect, I guess.

My mom's from Illinois and she says the same thing. ;)

kokopup
10-19-2009, 11:37 AM

I think you can say warsh is a country term used in rural areas all over the US
and Canada. I hear it used here in rural Alabama, however, being raised in the
Birmingham Burbs, I never heard it used. We are talking about going just
30 miles to hear a major change in accent and word usage.

Catty1
10-19-2009, 11:38 AM
"wierd" is wrong; it's "weird". I know it sounds like the EE sound that the i makes should come first...but English is a crazy language with many parents. One can't assume anything about it! :D

My mom and sister, who were very intelligent - Darcia skipped grades in school, my mom had two undergraduate degrees and a Master's...spelled it "wierd" for years. It was quite a good feeling to point this anomaly out to them...;):D

phesina
10-19-2009, 04:31 PM
One good way I learned to remember the proper order of the i and the e in "weird":

Think of the words "weirdo" and "hairdo." Both of them contain these four letters in sequence: i-r-d-o.

Moesha
10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Lobodeb http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1776790#post1776790)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
That's one I can't get right. My husband has tried to help me with it many times, but I just can't get it right. I really try to avoid using those words.Grammar Girl Tip (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx)

There is an explanation there with a good visual way to remember the difference. She also has a good explanation of when to use "lay" and "lie".

pomtzu
10-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I learned the "old school" way - i before e, except after c. However, English being what it is, "weird" happens to be one of the exceptions. :confused: :(

*LabLoverKEB*
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
What a funny thread!:)
Gee now that I think about it.... the english language is pretty darn complicated!

kokopup
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
What a funny thread!
Gee now that I think about it.... the english language is pretty darn complicated!

English has a lot of nuances not found in a many other languages.

Twisterdog
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
My mom says "warsh", it drives me batty, but I don't say anything to her. She is almost 80, she's not changing her ways now.

Something that makes my brain bleed is using an adjective in place of an adverb. This was the headline in our local paper last week, "What Could We Have Done Different?" How about "Differently"? Like "Drive Slow!" .... how about "Slowly"? The adverb is dying a slow death in this country.

cassiesmom
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Being a card carrying southerner I am guilty of using fixin and Y'all in my everyday speech. I have traveled all over the world and have found that there are MINOR differences all over the US. One that bugs me used by my daughter-in-law, a New Yorker, is "these ones". I don't think this is unique to her since I have heard this used in other parts of the US. For those critical of us southerner using y'all how about the use of "youse" or "youse Guys". I'll take y'all any day. Although there are some regional differences here in the US the use of slang is minimal here compared to the British Isles. You have to go to mainland Europe to hear proper English spoken y'all.:D

I like y'all and all y'all! Nothing else works in quite the same way. Youse is common in parts of Chicago too.

I have a friend who took classes for radio broadcasting. Two things she had to learn to say were "W" with three syllables - since it's in radio call letters ... you're listening to double-U BBM AM in Chicago. And the other one was "hundred" -- not hunnerd ... this is one-hundred-point-seven on the FM dial.

Moesha
10-19-2009, 10:01 PM
A problem I have with y'all is when people write it and spell it ya'll.

finn's mom
10-20-2009, 12:36 AM

Same here! I'm all right with the actual phrase, it's a contraction of you all and makes sense to me, even if it does sound a bit hick (I say it, so I don't mean that in a bad way). I personally think it's charming, and always have. I also like you's (youse, however you spell it) and even you'uns (again, no idea how you'd spell that, haha).

But, it does bug me when it's spelled ya'll. ;)

kokopup
10-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I
have a friend who took classes for radio broadcasting. Two things she had to learn to say were "W" with three syllables - since it's in radio call letters ... you're listening to double-U BBM AM in Chicago. And the other one was "hundred" -- not hunnerd ... this is one-hundred-point-seven on the FM dial.

I have found that for the most part the only people that actively try to lose their southern accent are those going into acting or broadcast. The mistake made by many, out of the south, is thinking that a slow southern accent means slow thinking or lack of education. I only have a BS but all the Dr's and PHD's that i know still have their accents and probably say Y'all , Fixin and tumped.

I liked a line from The song 'My Homes is Alabama" by Alabama

Oh I'll speak my Southern English just as natural as I please I'm in the heart of Dixie, Dixie's in the heart of me
I spent a lot of my working life out of the south, in other parts of the world, but always considered it home. The South is where I ended up retiring. In case you haven't noticed I love the south, the people, and all the quirks here in.

smokey the elder
10-20-2009, 09:47 AM
This is a neat thread! A lot of the things people see as problems with grammar, spelling, etc. are probably the same thing people observed 500 years ago.;) Languages change, take in loan words, coin words, lose words. Look at the syntax for Middle English vs. Modern English; you'll think you're reading German, for example. Should people be careful, especially in written language? Sure. But I have a guilty pleasure in finding out what new words make it into various dictionaries each year!

prechrswife
10-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Me, too.:D

BitsyNaceyDog
10-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Are and our are two completely different words.

"We ate lunch at are favorite restaurant" is WRONG
"We ate lunch at our favorite restaurant" is CORRECT

Pinot's Mom
10-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Well, spelling it ya'll is just strange. I have been using y'all intermittently for some time, even though I was raised in Yankee territory. It's just something that slipped in - my Rhode Island people would be appalled!

OK-pet peeves of mine (and, for those of you who know where I am, I work in HAMPDEN, which has a language all it's own), and I will not list who says them:
hisself instead of himself
aks instead of ask
I seen instead of I have seen
irregardless - AND I DON'T CARE IF IT'S IN THE DICTIONARY NOW!
where you at? I hear this ALL the time and it is absolutely nails on a chalkboard with me
incorrect spelling/terminology in business documents-there are computer programs for that!!

I'll leave it at that for now...:)

pomtzu
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, spelling it ya'll is just strange. I have been using y'all intermittently for some time, even though I was raised in Yankee territory. It's just something that slipped in - my Rhode Island people would be appalled!

:eek::eek: Yes - I'm appalled! :p

I have a couple of things, that from the way I pronounce them, people know that I'm not a native of this area. Like instead of "lobster", I say "lobsta". I don't say it often tho, since that's something not in my budget!! :( My brother that passed away, never lost his RI accent even after living in FL for 30+ years. Talking to him on the phone, you would think you were talking to Ted Kennedy.

I do take shortcuts in informal writing (such as on PT), like thru or tho, but would never spell them that way in a business document. I still don't say y'all, tho I do say "gonna" instead of "going to". :eek:

cassiesmom
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I've heard a new word around here of late ... hinky. (ex. "That was a rather hinky phone conversation.") It seems to mean illogical, out of character, unusual, strange. Another one is wonky. (Ex: I can't figure out her wonky filing system. It's too dry in here; the static cling is making my hair all wonky.)

I have a co-worker who says "flustrated" when she means "flustered".

Is "woken" a word or should it be awakened?

I love the word "twitterpated" from the movie Bambi. Everyone gets twitterpated in the spring :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Spelling IS important - some of us are trying to learn here!! ;) ;) One of these PT Spelling threads even made it into/in to? "Thread of the year"!

I do make some blunders myself, no doubt, but I don't understand how anyone can mix up "then" and "than".

Guilty....... I don't understand the difference, so could someone please explain this to me??
Something else is this: Preacher'smom wrote this: "it drives me crazy to see " 's" at the end of a word to make it plural. An apostrophe and the letter "s" shows ownership."
I need info on this too.....

I'm really trying to write as less mistakes as possible, but I cannot help writing mistakes.... . I left school 30 years ago, and English is only my 3rd language.....
Please everybody, remember that not ALL members here have English as mothertongue...

Randi
10-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Lut, if you look up the words "then" and "than" in your dictionary, you will see it's two different words. "Then" is when you say: Bernard planted some flowers in the garden, then he put the tools away and went inside for a cup of coffee. ;)

"Than" is used when you say: The red flowers are prettier than the yellow.

Here are some more examples from another thread:

Then = at that time. As in "I was still in school then." Or "Come at noon; I'll be ready then."
Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward. As in "I watched the late movie and then went to bed."
In addition; moreover; besides. As in "It costs $20, and then there's the sales tax to pay."
Used after but to qualify or balance a preceding statement. As in "The star was nervous, but then who isn't on the first night of a new play."
In that case; accordingly. As in "If traffic is heavy, then allow extra time."
As a consequence; therefore. As in "The case, then, is closed."

Than: Used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison. As in "She is a better athlete than I."
Used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference. As in "He draws quite differently than she does."

This is another good example:

One pet with many toys: "the animal's toys"
More than one pet with many toys: "the animals' toys"

And a good link:

http://www.dreaded-apostrophe.com/

phesina
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm really trying to write as less mistakes as possible, but I cannot help writing mistakes.... . I left school 30 years ago, and English is only my 3rd language.....
Please everybody, remember that not ALL members here have English as mothertongue...

Lut, you are another one who speaks/writes English beautifully! I know only a few words of French and nothing of Dutch?/Flemish?/whatever else you speak there..

All of you PT folks whose first language is not English do a beautiful job using it and keeping up with the discussions here and participating in them!!!

Randi
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, I've got to ask this, concerning the below text:
"I'm really trying to write as less mistakes as possible"

Should it be: "I'm really trying to write as few mistakes as possible" (this is what I think is right)

or... "I'm really trying to write as little mistakes as possible"

kokopup
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
"I'm really trying to write as few mistakes as possible"

Or you might say

When writing I try to make as few mistakes as possible.

Randi
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Kokopup, that's what I thought. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Lut, if you look up the words "then" and "than" in your dictionary, you will see it's two different words. "Then" is when you say: Bernard planted some flowers in the garden, then he put the tools away and went inside for a cup of coffee. ;)

"Than" is used when you say: The red flowers are prettier than the yellow.

I'm pretty sure when people mix up "then" and "than" in written language it is a spelling error. These two words are pronounced almost identically in many parts of the country, so someone could mean "than" but write "then" because they sound the same!

I also wanted to add that all of the people who post on PT with English as a second language are quite good at it! I think it's quite impressive. :) I wish we took bilingual education more seriously in this country.

Randi
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
OK, here's a new question.... is it "a large group of people" or "a big group of people"?

Cataholic
11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
OK, here's a new question.... is it "a large group of people" or "a big group of people"?

If you are referring to the number of people present....it would be a large group of people.

Randi
11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks! :) And yes, I am - speaking/talking to them, as in teaching.

redbird
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I sometimes misuse the words 'to and too'. I have to sometimes think of which spelling is correct. Also the words 'then and than' and 'affect and effect'. These words drive me nuts :( I have looked them up but still have to stop and think. The English language is one of the toughest ones on the planet.:confused:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/Holidays%20Bthday%20Misc/wreath.gif

Laura's Babies
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I work with a guy that says "ya know" in every other word. In one sentence he can use that 2 to 4 times, depending on the length of the sentence..

Another is the word "like".... "We "like" went to the store "like" to get some soda and I "like" spent my last $1."

Another is what I call the generic of the "F" word.. I hear that one so much that it drives me NUTS! (It also starts with "F".)

It is the repeting of the same word over and over in every sentence that drives me nuts no matter what the word is..

Cataholic
11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I use to say 'hey' ALL the time (I am going back a few years....like 20). My BF at the time use to say- every single time I said 'hey', this annoying saying. It annoyed me to no end, AND got me out of the habit. :o

The way I remember the difference between 'to and 'too' is if it means more than...it has more 'o' in it.

redbird
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
:eek::eek: Yes - I'm appalled! :p

I have a couple of things, that from the way I pronounce them, people know that I'm not a native of this area. Like instead of "lobster", I say "lobsta". I don't say it often tho, since that's something not in my budget!! :( My brother that passed away, never lost his RI accent even after living in FL for 30+ years. Talking to him on the phone, you would think you were talking to Ted Kennedy.

I do take shortcuts in informal writing (such as on PT), like thru or tho, but would never spell them that way in a business document. I still don't say y'all, tho I do say "gonna" instead of "going to". :eek:

I also use the shortcuts thru and tho on some forums but would never use them on a professional document either.

redbird
11-24-2009, 01:23 PM

A large group of people would be correct, a big group of people would mean the people are of great size.

Randi
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
... a big group of people would mean the people are of great size.
Wouldn't that be a group of big people? :D

caseysmom
11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Wouldn't that be a group of big people? :D

Yes you are correct.

luckies4me
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
What really drives me up a wall is people who pronnounce words completely wrong.

I warshed my clothes.

My cat was spayded, had her rabbies and distemperment shot.

That is a nice wotriller. (rottweiler)

Do you realize how difficult it is to even spell these words the way people pronnounce them? lol

I work at a veterinary clinic and I can't tell you how many times a day I hear those! It's Distemper, not distemperment! Urrgh! K, was my first sentence correct? Lol.

The one that bugs me the most is when people get "too" and "to" mixed up, as well as "your" and "you're".

I am by no means perfect when it comes to spelling, grammar, or punctuation! This would be a good thread to learn from.

luckies4me
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
So what is correct? Through or thru? I thought thru was only used for "drive thru"? And what about tho, and though? Is tho just the shortcut for though?

luckies4me
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM

My stepfather would correct me all the time when I said, "these ones". What would be the correct way of saying that? Just these?

Also, how about allright? Is it alright, all right, or allright?

luckies4me
11-24-2009, 02:33 PM
"wierd" is wrong; it's "weird". I know it sounds like the EE sound that the i makes should come first...but English is a crazy language with many parents. One can't assume anything about it! :D

My mom and sister, who were very intelligent - Darcia skipped grades in school, my mom had two undergraduate degrees and a Master's...spelled it "wierd" for years. It was quite a good feeling to point this anomaly out to them...;):D

Yes! Finally someone who spells it correctly! "I before E except after C" isn't always correct.

luckies4me
11-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Also, what about " and '...did I use those correctly? Gosh, this thread really makes you think!

kokopup
11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
luckies4me
So what is correct? Through or thru? I thought thru was only used for "drive thru"? And what about tho, and though? Is tho just the shortcut for though?

I think that "Through" and "Though" are correct and Thru and Tho are informal shortened versions that have come into exceptance.

Originally Posted by kokopup
Being a card carrying southerner I am guilty of using fixin and Y'all in my everyday speech. I have traveled all over the world and have found that there are MINOR differences all over the US. One that bugs me used by my daughter-in-law, a New Yorker, is "these ones". I don't think this is unique to her since I have heard this used in other parts of the US. For those critical of us southerner using y'all how about the use of "youse" or "youse Guys". I'll take y'all any day. Although there are some regional differences here in the US the use of slang is minimal here compared to the British Isles. You have to go to mainland Europe to hear proper English spoken y'all.

Instead of saying "these ones" you just say "these". I think saying "these", which is plural with "ones" which is really confusing because "one" is singular but you are making it plural by adding an "s". I think "ones" would qualify as an oxymoron.

In my quote from above in addition to "Youse" and "youse guys", "you guys"
is one I hear a lot especially out west.

mruffruff
11-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Locals like to say they are 'fixin' to' do something. I always want to ask what they're 'fixin'.

kokopup
11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by kokopup
Being a card carrying southerner I am guilty of using fixin and Y'all in my everyday speech. I have traveled all over the world and have found that there are MINOR differences all over the US. One that bugs me used by my daughter-in-law, a New Yorker, is "these ones". I don't think this is unique to her since I have heard this used in other parts of the US. For those critical of us southerner using y'all how about the use of "youse" or "youse Guys". I'll take y'all any day. Although there are some regional differences here in the US the use of slang is minimal here compared to the British Isles. You have to go to mainland Europe to hear proper English spoken y'all.

mruffruff Locals like to say they are 'fixin' to' do something. I always want to ask what they're 'fixin'.

"Fixin is southern for About so I guess we are fixin "TO"

I take it since you refer to the locals as THEY that you are what "they" refer to as a damn Yankee

mruffruff
11-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Definitely! I've only been here 22 years:D

kokopup
11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I had a first hand demonstration of how regional differences occur. I am from Birmingham, Alabama and in that area we refer to the green thing you use to water you lawn as a "hose pipe". I used this term once while in another area or the US and was laughed at because they quickly informed me that it was just a "hose".

Years later I was renting a house in The Netherlands from a couple that originally came from Birmingham, England. We were reviewing an inventory of items to be left with the house. While reviewing the list all of a sudden I came across "hose Pipe" in the inventory. I chucked to my self and ask about the entry. It seems that's the way they say it there. Birmingham Alabama was settled by a lot of iron and steel people from Birmingham England. :D

Daisy and Delilah
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm so glad to see this thread up again.

I haven't read all the way through it so I'm probably repeating what I'm about to say but it's worth repeating. :(

Lately I hear alot of people on tv, or otherwise, saying "fustrated" instead of "frustrated". What happened to the "r"???

The other one that I see everywhere is "lose" and "loose" used in the wrong way.

A person doesn't loose weight. A person loses weight.

Did she loose weight? , is incorrect.
Did she lose weight? , is correct.

These two words are so widely misused these days, I wonder if someone set out to get the words changed in the dictionary.
People from all levels of education and all walks of life, etc. are mixing up these words. Why???

kokopup
11-25-2009, 04:32 PM
When it comes to the use of lose or loose I have to think about it because I think I have been guilty in the past and used loose when I should have used lose. I now use lost and moose to help me remember.:o

Laura's Babies
11-25-2009, 04:51 PM

When we said that as kids, Mama use to say "between the "A" and the "T" every single time we said it.. We soon learned to leave "at" off of the sentence.

cassiesmom
11-27-2009, 08:31 PM
One other Chicagoese that annoyed me was "I am going by my mother's after work." I would always ask..."Do you wave?"

Oh, my goodness - "going by there" is big in my extended family. Pronounced in true Chicago style - goin by dere. It's the answer to the question "Are you going to (place)?" Are you going to the bakery today? Yep, I'm goin by dere, what kin I bring ya?

I was just thinking about this thread this morning! I have a plastic cup from Culver's restaurant - the slogan on it says "America's favorites made fresh". And every time I use it, I wonder ... shouldn't it be America's favorites, freshly made? I am so bad with adverbs!

smokey the elder
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
One that bugs me is "all right" morphing into "allright" or even "alright", but this could be language evolution (devolution?:p) in real time.

There's another one but I had a brain f@rt and can't think of it!:);)

kokopup
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
smokey te elder
One that bugs me is "all right" morphing into "allright" or even "alright", but this could be language evolution (devolution?) in real time.

Although (another shortened phrase) alright is considered non-standard english it didn't just morph, since it has been in use since the 1880's. Although another non-standard has been in use since the 1400's. Altogether I would say they are pretty much a part of our language like it or not.

cassiesmom
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
What is the difference between incidents and incidences?

I heard a story on news radio last night about a number of armed robberies and the reporter kept using the word "incidences" referring to the individual robberies, when I thought she should have used "incidents".

And I always have to think before I write then/than. Usually in the context of if/then: "If I go to Target, then I can pick up my dry cleaning on the way home." vs "I'd rather go to Target than the dry cleaner first".

Karen
05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Incident:
1. an individual occurrence or event.
2. a distinct piece of action, or an episode, as in a story or play.
3. something that occurs casually in connection with something else.

in·ci·dence 
–noun
1. the rate or range of occurrence or influence of something, especially of something unwanted: the high incidence of heart disease in men over 40.
2. a falling upon, affecting, or befalling; occurrence: The incidence of murder that Sunday afternoon shocked the sleepy village.

cassiesmom
05-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Dear Medical Students,

You are future doctors! Please note the following.

A course is something where you sit in a lecture hall, with a professor at the front of the room, and you take notes. Coarse is how my lungs sound through your stethoscope when I am very congested.

A border is what you put around the edges of a box sometimes in Microsoft Word. A boarder is a patient in one level of care waiting for a room in another, usually lower.

The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!

Be sure you understand the differences between due and do, threw and through. You should have learned these in high school, if not before. And if I ever see "prolly" in a chart again I'm going straight outside to bang my head on the sidewalk.

Thank you,
A Nurse

cassiesmom
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
"External Email (email coming in from the outside) is temporarily unavailable due to a hardware issue. Estimated time of restoral is 1-2 hours."

restoral ?? Is that even a word? Wouldn't it be restoration ?

pomtzu
05-06-2011, 01:05 PM
"External Email (email coming in from the outside) is temporarily unavailable due to a hardware issue. Estimated time of restoral is 1-2 hours."

I didn't think it was an actual word, but I looked it up, and it is. Means restoration. So I learned a new word today. :rolleyes:

However, I do cringe at the way that some supposedly educated individuals, absolutely murder the English language. I can see an occasional slip up - I'm guilty of it too - but for some - it's always - not just once in a while. How some ever passed basic English in school, is beyond me! :eek:

kokopup
05-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiesmom

"Restoral" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1828. (references)

Note: Restoral \Re*stor"al\ (-al), noun. Restoration. [Obsolete].

Note they now say that Restoration is obsolete

Asiel
05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Restoral--hmmm---I just learned a new word myself. I think this is the first time I've ever heard this. Interesting, I always like to learn new stuff.

I have to agree that I do sometimes notice how terrible the spelling and grammar is on some posts. Typos I understand but whole words wrongly written I can't understand. We never would have gotten anywhere near high school let alone college had we not known our spelling or grammar.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
"Fixin is southern for About so I guess we are fixin "TO"

I take it since you refer to the locals as THEY that you are what "they" refer to as a damn Yankee

How about "fittin' to"? I've heard that a lot in my classroom. That phrase earns the students two responses: 1) it's "fixin' to", and 2) fixin' doesn't cut it; your response should be "done started, ma'am".

I do live in the South, and I and a good portion of my students do know proper English. Some just choose not to employ their skills.

I also figure if you are going to butcher the language, the least you could do would be to use recognizable colloquialisms.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
"Ideal" instead of "idea" drives me crazy. I was at a 2 week long in-service a couple of years ago, and our otherwise excellent instructor would repeatedly say "ideal" when she meant "idea." It was very distracting.

Also, punctuation-wise, it drives me crazy to see " 's" at the end of a word to make it plural. An apostrophe and the letter "s" shows ownership.

Love this thread.

My high school German teacher would say "grad-jee-ate." It annoyed me back then.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Ya'll.....
I wouldn't have been caught dead saying it before moving here but now I am getting used to it! It's kind of comforting. You can't say "ya'll" without a hint of a smile.

"Ya'll come back now, ya hear??" :D

I use y'all all (of) the time. I do have to watch the placement of the apostrophe. I have seen it as "ya'll" quite a bit, but since I can think, I know it's supposed to be "y'all".

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Conniption fit. :love: I love that phrase! :love:

I first heard it while listening to a tape recording of a Bill Cosby routine. He was talking about his wife's conniption fits. For those of you youngin's, a tape is a means of electronically recording sounds.

My students do not know what a conniption fit is. Strange.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Being educated, using it and caring enough to think isn't being a snob!! Be proud!! :p

That website is a hoot! I am always appalled when I see public signage with misspellings or improper grammar. I'm always very self conscious when writing for public view! I try to make extra sure it's correct.

I saw an interesting comment in a movie about Dorothy Parker. The person said that there are few great writers anymore because writers then treated language like a science. Parceling sentences so they were correctly "formulated". I remember dissecting sentences at school. I doubt it's done today.

Sadly, for most people, grammar is not a skill that is important. I teach math and having the correct answer and the method of getting the correct answer have little value.

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm working my way through the posts.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:38 PM
A very educated friend of mine cannot be convinced that she is saying something wrong. She's meaning to say "It's a dog eat dog world", but instead insists on saying "It's a doggy-dog world". For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the heck she was talking about, and then the light went on. I politely told her in a joking manner what it should be, but to no avail...:(

She may not be aware that the phrase has an origin with a different meaning. She may have also learned it that way and doesn't see the need to change. Some of us "highly educated" people can be arrogant.

My mom's mom had several sayings that were the result of miscommunication and misunderstanding. She referred to people that bed-ridden as "inblids". My mother told me it was years before she understood what her mother was saying.

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I had a first hand demonstration of how regional differences occur. I am from Birmingham, Alabama and in that area we refer to the green thing you use to water you lawn as a "hose pipe". I used this term once while in another area or the US and was laughed at because they quickly informed me that it was just a "hose".

Years later I was renting a house in The Netherlands from a couple that originally came from Birmingham, England. We were reviewing an inventory of items to be left with the house. While reviewing the list all of a sudden I came across "hose Pipe" in the inventory. I chucked to my self and ask about the entry. It seems that's the way they say it there. Birmingham Alabama was settled by a lot of iron and steel people from Birmingham England. :D

I heard a student use "hose pipe" the other day. I took notice, because I first read the term in a Harry Potter book.

kitten645
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
If you really want to laugh...or cry:

http://www.someecards.com/2011/04/06/the-best-obnoxious-responses-to-misspellings-on-facebook

mrspunkysmom
05-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Im haffway threw the paje an laffing.

OR

I'm half-way through the page and laughing. LOL

cassiesmom
05-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Dear Medical Students,

A course is something where you sit in a lecture hall, with a professor at the front of the room, and you take notes. Coarse is how my lungs sound through your stethoscope when I am very congested.

A border is what you put around the edges of a box sometimes in Microsoft Word. A boarder is a patient in one level of care waiting for a room in another, usually lower.

Be sure you understand the differences between due and do, threw and through. You should have learned these in high school, if not before. And if I ever see "prolly" in a chart again I'm going straight outside to bang my head on the sidewalk.

Thank you,
A Nurse

Oh, and one more: a bowl (not a bowel) is what you eat cereal from! Please!

wombat2u2004
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm flaggerbasted that someone did tell I that I spell wrong

cassiesmom
06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Dear Medical Students,

Thank you,
A Nurse

Oh, and one more: a bowl (not a bowel) is what you eat cereal from! Please!

I found another one! The patient's skin is taut (not taught) from edema.

cassiesmom
06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I have a new favorite: "Specimen walked to lab." I know what that means... I didn't send it via pneumatic tube, I didn't wait for the lab runner to take it with the next pick-up, but I physically delivered it to the lab in order to get the results back quickly. But it always makes me think of test tubes with legs sticking out of them, walking their way to the lab!!

GrandChester
06-14-2011, 09:53 AM
How about this one. A friend says this a lot. "Sore to speak" instead of so to speak. He also spells a lot as alot. We all have done that at some point:)

cassiesmom
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Title of newspaper article: "Pawn shop operates discretely in Hinsdale"

Dear Editor: Shouldn't that be 'discreetly'? Yes, it is a separate and distinct business, but the whole point of the article is that it is intentionally unobtrusive because of its location in tony Hinsdale. :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
07-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm bumping up this old thread with a new one: "Epic Fail"
Fail is a verb. Failure is the corresponding noun. Should it not be Epic Failure, then?

Lady's Human
07-09-2012, 11:48 PM
That would take another 7 keystrokes, and in a world of twitface, that just ain't happenin.

BTW, the above grammatical errors were not made on accident.

redbird
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I misuse the words "too" and "to" at times. There are times when I know I'm using those words correctly and other times, I'm just not sure.

Randi
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
"The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!" Hmm, I'm not sure I've quite got this... isn't "lying" also if someone is not telling the truth? And "laying" someone laying something on a table?

Karen
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I always had trouble with lie and lay. In fact when I was a freshman in college, a friend from Brazil who was a Library Science major at Simmon's college across the street asked me to explain it to her one day, and I said, "I can't! Call my mother, she'll tell you!"

Now I can always look it up - http://grammartips.homestead.com/lie.html is one example. Now can you imagine trying to explain "intransitive verb" to someone just learning English?

cassiesmom
07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
"The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!" Hmm, I'm not sure I've quite got this... isn't "lying" also if someone is not telling the truth? And "laying" someone laying something on a table?

When I made that post, part of my job was transcribing medical chart notes for insurance payors and I had to try to catch those kinds of things (for example, the pregnant patient whose "do date" is July 12).

Randi
07-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Cassiesmom, "for insurance payors" - should that be "payers", or have I got that wrong, too?

Karen, thanks for the link, that was a great explanation. :)

cassiesmom
07-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I think payor/payer can go either way. I've almost always seen it as payor in the context of the ones I've worked for.

Taz_Zoee
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I did not read through the entire thread again, but the one that's been bugging me lately is are instead of our. Those are two completely different words!!
Oh, and the other day the owner of the company I work for put in an email by instead of bye. That bugged me too.
I also get the lie lay words wrong. I guess I should go to the site Karen posted.

Jessika
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
My biggest pet peeves have probably been echoed in this thread already:

their, there, and they're
you're and your

I took a class in school that taught me the difference between words like "lying" vs "laying" (for writing in medical charts, which is a LEGAL DOCUMENT, and it just makes you look sloppy when you mix words like that up), but I do forget sometimes. I'd like to think I look like I'm a little educated though when I do speak/type as compared to many others.... granted, these smart phones nowadays sure can make you look dumb with their auto corrects... :(

Randi
07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Ha ha, a conniption fit. Another word I didn't know, that Sirrasim posted further up. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it.

Jessica, the words you mention are misused everywhere these days and I can't understand why. Also, a lot of people use then, when they should use than. Those are two completely different words!

Even in articles in newspapers, there are lots of mistakes; in Denmark, too. Are there no proof readers anymore?

It's a shame that so many people can't spell (dysletic people), because they too have important things to say, but they are not given the same respect due to their bad spelling. Must admit that I find it easier and more enjoyable to read a well written article/book.

happylabs
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
The biggie for me that I see everywhere is when people use "your" instead of "you're".

I don't know why it bothers me so much though but it does. I'm not the best at grammar but I do have the basics down. ;)

Taz_Zoee
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm far from perfect in spelling, speech and grammar. But I always find mistakes when reading things. I always say I should be an editor.
I've found mistakes in published books I read. Whoops! How did they miss that??

Oh and I often have to stop and think about using then or than. And then I'm still not sure. I over-think it!

phesina
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
The one that really bugs me, that I see everywhere these days: people using "it's" when they mean "its."

it's = contraction of "it is"
its = possessive of "it"

Jessika
07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
The one that really bugs me, that I see everywhere these days: people using "it's" when they mean "its."

its = possessive of "it"

I'll even have trouble remembering this one because the apostrophe is "backwards" (in my mind, anyway lol). Normally you use the apostrophe to show possession but not in this case. You'd think I would keep that straight, knowing that... but, nope.

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 01:35 PM

its = possessive of "it"

I guess I'm always wrong then. I was always taught that an 's after anything, was the possessive of it, as well as being 2 words shortened - where just s is the plural of it. I never knew there was such a word as its. Its would mean that it is plural. :p

phesina
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
"Its" is possessive of it, just like "his" and "her/hers" are possessives of he and she. No apostrophes.

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
"Its" is possessive of it, just like "his" and "her/hers" are possessives of he and she. No apostrophes.

No wonder they say that English is a very difficult language to learn. There are so many exceptions to the rule. I admire a lot of the folks on this forum whose (or is it who's?? :confused: :p) native language is NOT English, but speak it so well - better than some who were raised with only English. :D

As long as I know the point someone is trying to get across, then I'm certainly not going to police their verbage, since I am far from being grammatically correct at all times.

Willow Oak
07-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd druther hear someone say, "I seen," that's seen somethin', than to say, "I have seen," that ain't seen anythin'!

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Willow Oak;2428151

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.[/QUOTE]

But that ship has to sink below the surface of the water to "founder". If it's above and tossing about against rocks or a reef, wouldn't it be "floundering"?

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 02:33 PM
My big pet peeve is "waiting on" and "waiting for". I summed it up back in post #52. That still drives me nuts.

Karen
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd druther hear someone say, "I seen," that's seen somethin', than to say, "I have seen," that ain't seen anythin'!

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.

But "I saw," or "I have seen" is correct! "I seen" is not.

Willow Oak
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
But that ship has to sink below the surface of the water to "founder". If it's above and tossing about against rocks or a reef, wouldn't it be "floundering"?

Language is evolving. That is what drives some of us "mad." When I was in school I was castigated if I spelled "buses" as "busses." Now, the latter spelling appears in dictionaries and has been approved as acceptable. The word "ain't" has become part of many dictionaries. I believe that the word "flounder" was inadvertently used instead of "founder" when someone was lost and trying to find his way (tossed about). Now the dictionaries approve the misuse of the word.

Most of the European languages evolved from Greek and Latin. Latin was the language spoke in ancient Rome, hence the "romance" languages.

Am I preaching to the choir here?

Willow Oak
07-12-2012, 02:56 PM
But "I saw," or "I have seen" is correct! "I seen" is not.

"I saw" is not correct, if you did not see. Likewise, "I have seen" is not correct if you did not see. :D

Furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to begin with a conjunction, such as the word "but." :eek:

Still furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to separate two words or two phrases with a comma when they are separated by the conjunction "or," as in "'I saw,' or 'I have seen.'" :p

Worse still is correcting the moderator of a forum. :(

pomtzu
07-12-2012, 03:11 PM
"I saw" is not correct, if you did not see. Likewise, "I have seen" is not correct if you did not see. :D

But (incorrect :eek:) if I really have seen it, or I really did see it, then "I saw it" is correct - not "I seen it". Those hyphens I use all the time are incorrect also. Correct?

Feel free Dan - I'm not a moderator! :D

Karen
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to begin with a conjunction, such as the word "but." :eek:

Still furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to separate two words or two phrases with a comma when they are separated by the conjunction "or," as in "'I saw,' or 'I have seen.'" :p

Worse still is correcting the moderator of a forum. :(

It is not incorrect in the course of a conversation to begin a sentence with a connection, although it is poor form in written literature.

It is correct to say "I saw" as in "I saw the squirrel." It is also correct to say "I have seen squirrels." I only put that comma in that sentence as I was typing it and edited it to put the "or" in and therefore should have deleted the comma. I was in error in that particular instance.

Willow Oak
07-12-2012, 07:22 PM
It is not incorrect in the course of a conversation to begin a sentence with a connection, although it is poor form in written literature.

It is correct to say "I saw" as in "I saw the squirrel." It is also correct to say "I have seen squirrels." I only put that common in that sentence as I was typing it and edited it to put the "or" in and therefore should have deleted the comma. I was in error in that particular instance.

You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?

Karen
07-12-2012, 08:26 PM
For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?

"I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.

Willow Oak
07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

"I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.

In the above quote, I say "I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time."

The context makes what I wrote okay and understandable; but technically, "I do it all the time" is grammatically incorrect. One must not use a naked pronoun -- i. e., a pronoun without an antecedent; otherwise, how is the reader to know what "it" is? The most grammatically correct way to write would be:

"I think that it is okay to 'break' the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I 'break' the rules of grammar all the time."

Edwina's Secretary
07-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Yes.

cassiesmom
11-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Dear golf club, I don't put gift cards in "thier" stockings; I put gift cards in their stockings. This is an awkward spelling mistake on the sign in front of the club.

Dear banquet hall, I think the Illinois "Youht" USAC might have been a little surprised when they saw the name of their organization on your east welcome sign! It was correct on the sign that faces west, though.

Dear whoever came up with the word "adorbz"- I flinch when I hear an adult say this. Just say adorable.

Thank you,
Elyse (word nerd)

redbird
11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Too and to, I sometimes have a problem when using these two words. If you see me use these two words incorrectly, please correct me :confused:

Karen
11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Too and to, I sometimes have a problem when using these two words. If you see me use these two words incorrectly, please correct me :confused:

If I notice that mistake in a post of yours, i would let you know! It is funny, my most common typo - which I often Make, post, then go back and correct, is hitting a semicolon instead of an apostrophe. I know which is correct, just hit the wrong key!

Randi
04-02-2014, 09:03 AM
I went back to read this thread, it's actually quite informative and I think I've got most of it sorted out concerning "lay down and "lie" down. You "lie" down to have a rest, and he "lay" down to have a rest - or should that be he "laid" down to have a rest? No, I think it is: He "laid" the blanket on the bed, or he "laid" the table.

Now, if you lie to someone about something (not telling the truth), is it: "He lied to you" in past tense? And... he will never "lie" to you? :D

Karen
04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
I went back to read this thread, it's actually quite informative and I think I've got most of it sorted out concerning "lay down and "lie" down. You "lie" down to have a rest, and he "lay" down to have a rest - or should that be he "laid" down to have a rest? No, I think it is: He "laid" the blanket on the bed, or he "laid" the table.

Now, if you lie to someone about something (not telling the truth), is it: "He lied to you" in past tense? And... he will never "lie" to you? :D

It would be he lied to you, that is the past tense. And he would never lie to a judge ... - anything about untruths is lie
He lied He lies He told a lie He will lie

cassiesmom
11-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Sign on the street near where I work: "No parking on all village streets between 2 and 6 AM". Wouldn't it be "no parking on any village streets..."? #wordnerd

pomtzu
11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Sign on the street near where I work: "No parking on all village streets between 2 and 6 AM". Wouldn't it be "no parking on any village streets..."? #wordnerd

To me, either one could be correct/acceptable. It's not one of those blunders that screams "no way" at you, like "saw/seen", etc., but then, I'm no expert. :p

Randi
11-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Cassiesmom, I tend to agree with you - in fact, I'm pretty sure you're right. :)

What happened in the schools the past 20 years? :eek:

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Ok, I'm sure this has already been covered, but I just saw it again on Facebook and it irritates me!
People using are for our. "You've been in are lives for a long time."
UGH!!! :mad::mad::mad:

kaycountrygal
11-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Nov 13 2014
Using "there and their" and "it's and its" incorrectly bugs me.
There should be no problem.
Their dogs are very cute.

It's going to be cold tomorrow.
The dog ate its food.

I used to work with a woman who had a much better paying job than me but her grammar/spelling was terrible. I always proofread her work. I sure hope I do the examples correctly LOL.

She would say:

Get me a vanilla folder (manila)
Ring the buzzard on the door (buzzer)
Hang the pitcher on the wall. (picture)
My child had chicken pops. (pox)
My clothes are in a [B]chester drawer. (chest of drawers)
I made a lemon chest pie (chess)

Vette
11-13-2014, 10:21 PM
I have trouble when to use 'then' and 'than'

Karen
11-13-2014, 11:25 PM

If you can substitute "now" and the sentence makes sense, use "then" - (now and then is easy to remember.

Examples,

"I'd rather have pizza now pasta" so it is "I'd rather have pizza thAN pasta"

"I went to supper now went to bed" makes much more sense (other than timeframe) so it is "I went to supper thEn went to bed."

Does that help?

mon
11-13-2014, 11:30 PM
I have a girlfriend who says pig style when referring to a messy place instead of pigsty. I also have a friend who sez, but ,for no aparrent reason after every sentence. Used to drive me nuts. I realized that no one enjoys being corrected. As long as you get their drift, I just carry on the conversation and get on with it. I figure that there are far more important things to crap my pants about or get all bent out shape about than this eh.... Get my drift....

mon
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM
That being said, ax instead of ask is unnerving. I think it's just a slang thing. Sometimes I think peeps should just sit back and feel smugly superior if they feel so irritated. Communication with a sense of humor sounds like a plan.

sallyandsnowx
11-14-2014, 10:03 AM

I will admit I have trouble with this one too! Along with who and whom. :eek:

Randi
11-14-2014, 01:46 PM
First of all, I don't undestand how some can get confused about the words then and than. They are two completely different words! It seems to me that people use then where than should be used, a lot more than the opposite. It's rare to see people use than where then should be used.

In Denmark, we have the words ja and men - ja means yes, men means but. In recent years, a LOT of people start a sentence saying... ja, men... = yes, but... I just don't get it. 10 -20 years ago, you never heard anyone starting a sentence with yes, but, unless they were defending themselves in an argument. Oh well, language deteriorates everywhere in the world. I wonder what people will be saying in another hundred years.

momcat
11-16-2014, 09:56 PM
My biggest hate is how language is totally destroyed by computer speak: the shortcuts used with email and text messages. If someone sends me a message like that I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out what they're tring to say.

Just for fun. This was going around when I was in college and we had a blast with it. Can you punctuate the words below so the phrase makes sense? It can be done.

that that is is that that is not is not is that that is that is

Karen
11-16-2014, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=momcat;2510408]

Just for fun. This was going around when I was in college and we had a blast with it. Can you punctuate the words below so the phrase makes sense? It can be done.

That "that is" is that, "that is not," is not. Is that "that is" that is?

pomtzu
11-17-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm afraid I will barf or scream - or both - if I read/see/hear the word y'all much more, and when not used in a joking manner, but as part of practically every sentence that some type or speak. It is so REDNECK, and certain people carry the use to extreme. I was on FB yesterday, and had to close it out since the use of this word seems to be coming contagious and I was finding it super annoying and getting on my last nerve. People that never/seldom used it before, just can't seem to express themselves anymore with using this word very frequently. And in some cases, it's just a matter of the person being lazy, and even thinking that this is a proper and acceptable manner of speaking. I'm sure some English teachers must be turning over in their grave. :eek:

Is it just me being persnickety, or does this grate on other folks nerves too?

And don't tell me it is a recognized word.................so is f--k, among other slang words. :mad:

Vette
11-29-2014, 04:01 PM
If you can substitute "now" and the sentence makes sense, use "then" - (now and then is easy to remember.

Examples,

"I'd rather have pizza now pasta" so it is "I'd rather have pizza thAN pasta"

"I went to supper now went to bed" makes much more sense (other than timeframe) so it is "I went to supper thEn went to bed."

Does that help?

Woot! finally found post to read back on,, an yes it does. thank you ^^
now my problem will come with remembering it... LOL

Randi
11-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Over the last few decades, it seems that schools haven't been focusing much on spelling. That might be one reason that children mix up "then" and "than" and just guessing what is should be, from the sound they hear. You see more spelling mistakes everywhere - over here, too. If smaller children keep reading texts with so many mistakes, they'll probably think it's right and copy it. I don't believe that bad spelling is solely because of texting so much, although it might be part of it.

Using "y'll" instead of everyone or everybody, I find quite charming/positive, because to me it gives a feeling of "togetherness," or good vibes from the person saying it, but I could be totally wrong, I'm not American.

kaoK'okung
11-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Ummm not everybody comes from a good education or even had a chance at a decent one for that matter.

This is a public forum for pet lovers not for teaching "correct" English.

To use this site to belittle someone because they used incorrect English is kinda sad. (look up kinda, it's called slang)

Not everyone has the greatest use of English, we are supposed to be pet lovers...

I could care less if someone uses bad English as long as I can get the gist of what they are trying to convey...

It's about the story and the emotion our pets bring to us, not the spelling....

Just sayin'.....

Here's to our pets!!!!!!!!

mon
11-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Amen to that, all ya f*@ckin' ya'll!!!;)

pomtzu
11-30-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't think that anyone (including myself), was criticizing anyone in particular -- simply making an observation and expressing their personal opinion. I presume that is acceptable to y'all????? :rolleyes:

Randi
11-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Ummm not everybody comes from a good education or even had a chance at a decent one for that matter.
Agreed, and it's sad that everyone don't get the same chance in life. I grew up in a working class family and I didn't go to the best school, but later I took further education. However in Primary school, most, if not everybody, learnt the basics including how to spell I suppose we're lucky over here, we don't have to pay to be educated, unless you go to a private school. My parents could not afford that.

To use this site to belittle someone because they used incorrect English is kinda sad. (look up kinda, it's called slang)
I know that, thank you!

I find it easier to read a text where the spelling is correct. Also, I enjoy speaking to someone who is well articulated and it's kinda neat when the language is flowing, don't ya' think. ;)

cassiesmom
11-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Pet peeve: "impacted" as a past tense verb. I heard it on the news again last night. "The company is unsure how its sales will be impacted by this incident." Uhmmm, I think the word you want is affected.

I don't mind "y'all" informally. "You" can be plural or singular. In Chicago I hear a lot of "you guys" or even "youse guys" - but again, that's informal. In a past position I had a manager who was from the South -- she would use y'all to address a small group and "all y'all" for a big group, like "all y'all go ahead and go home, the weather's really bad, but transfer the phones to the answering service before y'all leave.'

mon
11-30-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't think that anyone (including myself), was criticizing anyone in particular -- simply making an observation and expressing their personal opinion. I presume that is acceptable to y'all????? :rolleyes:

Sometimes ignorance speaks for itself.

mon
11-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I wasn't speakin' to anyone specific by the bye.

pomtzu
11-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Sometimes ignorance speaks for itself.

Sure does. :p

pomtzu
11-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Why does the use of "y'all" irritate me????? Just so that people here will know that I was not referring to anyone here and in noting the incorrect use of certain words/terms and slang...................I have a relative of sorts - kind of like a surrogate grandson - who can't get thru a post on FB without using the term "Y'all" and another unpleasant word "f@@k". He is 22 years old - had a decent upbringing and was recently married, so it's not like he's a teeny-bopper trying to act all big and bad. But then again,, maybe he does view that as big and bad. IMO - he is showing his ignorance and immaturity, and I've noticed that now even his mother is starting to say "y'all" quite frequently - far more than she ever did. Perhaps it's rubbing off on her????

I DID NOT have to explain myself to anyone here, but it appears that some have taken offense. To those of you that know me, I'm certain that you knew I was pointing a finger at no one - simply making an observation of how our language has evolved - and not necessarily for the best, either. To others who would like to think the worst of me, then I say "be my guest and go right ahead". I really don't give a rat's backside.

pomtzu
11-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I wasn't speakin' to anyone specific by the bye.

"by the bye"??????????????????????????????????? Maybe I missed another post that would explain this. :rolleyes:

Karen
11-30-2014, 08:04 PM
"by the bye"??????????????????????????????????? Maybe I missed another post that would explain this. :rolleyes:

By the bye is just another way to say "by the way" - not a big deal Just a colloquialism!

It is funny, I have always paid very close attention to language, pronunciation and grammar - product of my upbringing.

So I was amused when one of my college professors wrote on the chalkboard, apropos of nothing,
Bostin
Bosten
Boston

And said, "I bet the only person in this class who would pronounce those differently is Karen."

It has nothing to do with the day's lesson - he was my Illustration professor, not a language one!

pomtzu
12-01-2014, 08:08 AM
By the bye is just another way to say "by the way" - not a big deal Just a colloquialism!

It is funny, I have always paid very close attention to language, pronunciation and grammar - product of my upbringing.

Sorry - but I never heard "by the bye" before.

And I too have always paid close attention to language, etc - and it's use and misuse. Perhaps it was part of our more structured New England teaching??? - not to mention the fact that we had parents and teachers that saw to it that we didn't murder the King's English! :)

ETA:
I just went back and scanned the posts in this thread, and NO ONE took offense and accused anyone of being critical - until recently of course. Everyone seemed to find what others had posted, to be interesting and informative. Yes - this is a forum dedicated to pets, but MANY other subjects are discussed also. Why all of a sudden, do some find this practice of posting about other subjects, to be offensive and inappropriate???