PDA

View Full Version : Help with my puppy's breed

Laura25
03-18-2007, 12:49 PM
My boyfriend and I adopted a puppy, Bubby Jones, from our local animal shelter last September. He was a day away from being put to sleep because he had been in there for so long, and we couldn't resist! He was already neutered and full grown, but it took us 3 months to housebreak him. His age is unknown, along with his breed. We suspected either an American or French Foxhound, but he has been a steady 40 lbs since the day we got him. His legs are too tall, and snout is too long for a beagle. Any help on what breed this lil guy is would be very much appreciated!

Freedom
03-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey Bubby Jones, so nice to meet you! I was thinking there is some beagle in there, but your mom says nope! So I don't know. But I DO know she loves you VERY much. So glad to see your handsome face here on Pet Talk!!!

Taz_Zoee
03-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm not good at this, but I would say beagle mixed with a larger breed. His head looks EXACLTY like a beagle.

theterrierman
03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
He looks like Trail Hound and Beagle/Harrier/Foxhound to me.

BC_MoM
03-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Looks Foxhound/Beagle to me!

wolfsoul
03-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Looks like a beagle mixed with maybe a pointer?

luvofallhorses
03-18-2007, 08:39 PM
He could be a treeing walker coonhound/beagle. what a cutie! :) Welcome to pet talk! :D I have a treeing walker coonhound/english coonhound mix named Buster. :) hounds are great dogs! :D and thanks for choosing to adopt. :)

critter crazy
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Looks Foxhound/Beagle to me!

I agree. He is adorable!! Welcome to PT!:)

Laura25
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank You! I appreciate the input and am happy to be on here!

Suki Wingy
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
whatever he is, he is cute! I don't think he is an american foxhound, because his skull and muzzle are too square. Depending on whether there are many hunting dogs around the shelter, he could be part Harrier or English Foxhound, or perhaps just beagle with something bigger.

Genny
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
He doesn't look full blooded beagle, but I think he has some in him.

Jeannie.
04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree with the other posters, he looks like he definitley has some Beagle in him. He's an absolute cutie by the way!! :)

Sophist
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I've dealt with a ton of bigger hound mixes around here (northern California) because there are a couple nearby places that do big meets, trials, competitions, etc. and it seems the dabbling newbies are always trying to create newer, better, designer mixes that end up in the pound to be pts because most of the people around here wouldn't touch a hound with a ten foot pole (they're ALL loud and stubborn and totally untrainable :rolleyes: )...

Sorry, off into a favorite rant... what I was going to say was that it is not uncommon here to find a breeder trying to mix a larger hound with beagle, usually in a misguided effort to have a more manageably-sized hound, or have a very pack-oriented animal somehow have a more appropriate 'pet' mentality.

So I think it is pretty reasonable to think it is a beagle crossed with some sort of Foxhound, or Treeing Walker, etc. Or maybe just un under-sized, poorly bred Walker?

I would be less inclined to think Harrier (even though in most of the other ways it is a good fit), because all of the ones I have met have been more solidly built than most of the scent hounds, and from the quick look I took your guy seemed to be pretty willowy and light-framed. Maybe I just need a closer look, though.

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
04-23-2007, 06:19 AM
looks a lot like this American Foxhound, but Bubba jones' head is so square!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images12/AmericanFoxhoundDaiseyBugStanding.jpg

I'd guess beagle mix too.

guineapiggy
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I think he would be a Foxhound Beagle mix they go to gether :D

k9krazee
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
He definitely screams Beagle to me!! Whatever he is, he sure is a cutie!!

beaglesRgreat
05-11-2007, 09:28 AM
My dog's face is identical to your's and he's a beagle (maybe shepherd) & foxhound. My guess is he's just beagle foxhound, cause he's got more white than my dogger. Great mix!!! Fun dog!!!

beaglesRgreat
05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Left dog(simon) is my beagle/ foxhound, the right is (Tater) maybe beagle /lab or bassett?

Laura25
06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
So sorry I haven't been on here forever, I'm way behind on these last few posts. Well, I just so happened to run into a gentleman the other day who breeds Treeing Walker Coonhounds. He took at look at Bub, and said he is a Beagle/Walker mix.

The poor thing is still deathly afraid of riding in the car, and the noise of lawnmowers and the vacuum. Pretty sure he had a rough life before going to the shelter :( But, he has been great! Still having difficulty training him on a leash, but he is housebroken and responds well to most commands.

Thank you all for your help =))

Wahoo
06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
What about a Harrier? It's more square than a Foxhound, larger than a Beagle...