PDA

View Full Version : Are you a collector?

sasvermont
03-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I found this on the internet...

The Psychology of Collecting:
. Where-in the Author explores collectors of four flavors: The Clinical / Pathological Collector. The mere Nut-case Collector in us all, the Victim Collector, and finally, the Accidental Collector
. Where do I get off writing about the Psychology of Collecting? I have no degree in any of the behavioral sciences. (Took a Psychological Foundations of Education to get my teaching credential some years ago. Got an 'A', but frankly, I thought it was all a bit silly.) The answer is simple. I've made a hobby of observing people's hobbies. Talking to them –or more accurately- listening to them talk about a subject they love. (And I have to say that there are worse ways to learning about something. An interesting discourse and a dull discourse are often separated by little more then the discourser and his or her interest in that subject.)
Collecting might be thought of as a subset of a larger human behavior named –if only for the sake of convenience- hobbies. But I'm not sure this is true. I theorize that collectors and hobbyists are entirely different things. Take model train people as evidence. I used to take my casework to train shows when they came to northern California. Nice people the model train 'hobbyists', but they come in two distinct flavors. There are those who build tracks and little cities and mountains etc. and then play with their trains. Then there are collectors who are somehow compelled to own a sample of every locomotive the Lionel made in a given year. Or all the locomotives Lionel ever made. Or all the locomotives, cars, tankers, cabooses, etc of a given scale / year / manufacturer. Often they don't even open the package –reduces the value, I'm told. Both the builders and the collectors go to the same show and –I suppose- talk to each other –but they are completely distinct species.

PATHOLOGICAL COLLECTORS:
There are some poor souls who are pathological in their collecting. Not my word, 'pathological'. The research folks use this word to describe collecting to the point that it interferes with daily life. Their houses are filled –and I mean literally every-square-foot- floor-to-ceiling-filled- until-it-crashes-through-the-floor-below FILLED with stuff. These people usually have no interest in the stuff in their collection, but pitch a fit if someone tires to take any of away. There is some research indicating how this might be explained. Steven W. Anderson, a neurologist, and his colleagues at the University of Iowa studied 63 people with brain damage from stroke, surgery or encephalitis who had no previous problems with hoarding before their illness, but afterward, began filling their houses with such things as old newspapers, broken appliances or boxes of junk. The good Doctor sez:
These compulsive collectors had all suffered damage to the prefrontal cortex, a brain region involved in decision making, information processing and behavioral organization. The people whose collecting behavior remained normal also had brain damage, but it was instead distributed throughout the right and left hemispheres of the brain.

Anderson posits that the urge to collect derives from the need to store supplies such as food--a drive so basic it originates in the subcortical and limbic portions of the brain. Humans need the prefrontal cortex, he says, to determine what "supplies" are worth hoarding.
I need to make one last point before moving on to the merely nutty-non-pathological-collectors. All the reading I've done suggests that collecting for -what-ever reason and to what-ever degree- is little understood and there is really not all much clear research out there. This takes me back to my starting point –I get to pretend to be an expert on the psychology of collecting because t'aint no one else out there who is any better qualified then I am.

NUT-CASE (non-clinical) COLLECTORS:
Somewhat less 'traumatic' / 'dramatic'? -and it's pretty clear I'm on thin-ice psycho-babble here-- are the merely obsessive compulsive disorder collectors. No detectable brain damage –just good old OCD –or we might call it OCCD, (Obsessive Compulsive Collecting Disorder). But I wonder how many people who are truly committed to a given subject, (coin collecting, the Denver Broncos, UFO's, conspiracy theories, you name it) have family and friends who look at them, shake their heads and mutter something about OCD under their breaths. But before we get on to collectors –Collectors with a capital C, coins, stamps, model railroad car Collectors, etc., we might consider the collector in all of us. There is a delightful story written by Judith Katz-Schwartz* – Remembering Grandma. Her grandma was a refugee –as a very young girl- from Tsarist Russia who collected…. and I quote
…the tops of Bic pens neatly wound with rubber bands; hundreds of tiny garment snaps threaded onto safety pins; at least one hundred glass jars, all sparkling clean; eighty-seven neatly rolled and clamped Ace bandages.
I thought this was a little funny, till the chap with whom I share a wood shop reminded me about the two big garbage bags I have filled with carefully cleaned BBQ sauce bottles. I love BBQ sauce and eat it on almost everything. About a bottle a week. No idea what will ever come of them, but I KNOW the day will come when I'm dang glad I have all these empty BBQ sauce bottles.
Judith sums it up beautifully and with kind & rare insight, I think. In the above mentioned article, she closes with….
Some people collect for investment. Some collect for pleasure. Some folks do it to learn about history. And some people "save things" because it helps them to fill a gaping hole, calm fears, erase insecurity. For them, collecting provides order in their lives and a bulwark against the chaos and terror of an uncertain world. It serves as a protectant against the destruction of everything they've ever loved. Grandma's things made her feel safe. Though the world outside was a dangerous and continually changing place, she could still sit safely in her apartment at night, "putting together my things".
Then there was an episode from the TV sit-com Third Rock from the Sun. You might remember that Dick –(John Lithgow) became obsessed with Fuzzy Buddies. I take "Fuzzy Buddies" to be the producer's way to avoid being sued by the folks that make "Beenie Babies." If one were to be perfectly honest about things, I suspect most –if not all of us- saw a little of ourselves in the character.
There is another quite unique kind of nut-case collecting -that practiced by dictators as they accumulate bric-a-brac. Possible motives for collecting abound: compulsion, competition, exhibitionism, desire for immortality and the need for experts' approval. According to Peter York, a British journalist who studied dictators' decor for his book Dictator Style, recognizes all of the above in his subjects. It's basically a dictator's job, he says, to take everything over-the-top. For example...

Saddam Hussein

Sci-fi fantasy paintings featuring menacing dragons and barely-clad blondes.

Adolf Hitler

Bavarian 18th century furniture. Munich antique dealers were ordered to keep an eye out for him.

Kim Jong II

20,000 videos (Daffy Duck cartoons, Star Wars, Liz Taylor and Sean Connery flicks)

Idi Amin

Several racing cars and loads of old film reels of I Love Lucy reruns and Tom and Jerry cartoons

Joseph Stalin

Westerns with Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable and John Wayne. Stalin also inherited Joseph Goebbels's films.

He also points out that "Some of these people," he says, "were really very short."

VICTIM COLLECTORS:
Don't know what else to call this set. There are a few companies that sell stuff so well –and with such frightening insight to their customers, and do so with such deliberate marketing plans carefully designed to exploit the poor collector's peccadilloes, that these collectors are victims of something –themselves - or the mean old marketing companies, don't know which.

Case in point is Hallmark Cards and their Christmas Keepsake Ornaments. Note particularly the word "keepsake" and compare it to the idea of "nostalgia". (Any research into collecting by the PhD crowd seems to hang on the word "nostalgia.") It is reasonable to collect things that speak from the past. This is no more nor less then any historic museum does. It is also reasonable to collect things that trigger -let us hope- pleasant memories of our own past. (People of my age remember Chutes and Ladders and Candy-Land games. This it the sort of thing Daniel Arnett writes about in her article Why We Collect, published elsewhere on this site.) But these things are authentic.

Hallmark has made millions -and I have nothing against making money- selling fake nostalgia -and let us not mince words here- to women. If you were to read the articles I have, it also seems clear that these women are not women with careers, educations, children to raise, or -and we are still not mincing words here- much else to do.

And what lengths will Hallmark goes to to get these poor women to buy the next ornament -or series of 5 or 10 ornaments? Seminars, conventions, news letters, autograph opportunities (the artists), and advance viewings. (Advance viewings for plastic ornaments stamped out in by the millions??? YEP!)

Not just Hallmark either. Consider Franklin Mint, Hummel Figurines, little ceramics of English cottages, memorial plates with Elvis painted thereon. Not for nothing are these things 'nostalgic'. When ever a kid's movie comes out either McDonalds or Burger King has little plastic toys / figurines / antenna balls of each character. Then kids of a certain age must be fed Happy Meals until they have the entire collection. (For kids "nostalgia" stretches all the way back to the movie they saw a whole week ago.)

ACCIDENTAL COLLECTORS:
My sister tells me of a fourth and final category of collector. This sort might might well be viewed as a victim as well, but I chose to call them accidental. She writes...

Someone mentions once that they like X and then for years later all their friends give them is X and then they really start to hate X. Loren and Bonnie [my nieces] once had a teacher that everyone in the whole school knew loved giraffes and collected them. I was talking to her one day and she said it all started years ago when she was explaining a project the kids had to do to tell about themselves. She used herself as an example and said out of the blue that she liked giraffes. Now this poor women has received every possible giraffe thing ever made. She told me that she doesn't even like the damn animals.

The psychology of these poor souls is easy to understand. They are the 'co-dependent,' ('accidental enablers'?) nexus of a mild mass-OCCD. They know to be well meant but they are too kind to get out say anything to get themselves out if it. Whad'y-gonn'a-do?

*Judith has a wealth or excellent advice to offer collectors. And some very nice stuff of her own for sale. Check out her site Twin Brooks and her book Secrets of a Collecting Diva If I had her book before I wrote some of my articles –would'a saved me a lot of research and making-up stuff.

Marigold2
03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I collect keychains. I probably have over 150 now. It all started when my son went to Germany for his senior class trip. He traveled to the city of his birth and brought back a keychain. After that whenever someone went some where they brought me one. Since both of my boys were in the military, AF and Navy they collected quite a few. I have a friend who travels a lot she is a Capt in the Army she never fails to buy me two or three. I ask people all the time for keychains, neighbors, friends, co-workeres, business associates. Everyone has been really cool about it. I have almost all of the 50 states (I have a lot of doubles as well) and a some from the Middle East. I have Germany, Paris, Iceland, Italy, Bostwana, Ireland, El Salvador, Canada, Scotland, Australia, Hong Kong, (which is a tiny elephant) and many many more. I had them on three different cork boards in our hallway and everyone who came into the house always loved looking at them and adding to the collection.

Kalei
03-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I love collecting. It's very fun and when people collect something it shows other people something about themselves and their personality. I collect a few things. The biggest thing I collect is movies. I love movies with a passion and have a pretty big collection of movies.

I also collect letters from people. Mainly my bestfriend. Ever since I met her in grade 8 we wrote notes and letters back in forth to each other, sometimes up to 5 letters a day and I never ever threw one away, i always collected them. I have them in a nice box and haven't counted them for awhile, but last time I checked i had between 300 and 400 letters. Sometimes I take them out and read them from way back when.

I guess you could also say that I collect pictures...lol I have a humongous picture collection of my animals..but I bet that is normal for most pters on here;)

Chica
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
About 10 years ago I liked teapots. Little ones, medium ones, with different decorations.I collected them for a long time a put them in my Curio cabinet, and in my China cabinet. :) It is very pretty to look at them in my dinning room area. I have an eye for decorating also. My sisters always ask my opnion on something for their houses before they buy it.I don't collect anything anymore. But I like getting new toys for my chi's or t-shirts and such.

columbine
03-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I've always disliked the marketing of things as "collectibles" because I grew up thinking that amassing mounds of Stuph that you didn't have any use for except simply OWNING it was foolish, and the marketers thereof were crooks. So the "created needs" that result in the "victim collectors" you describe above tick me off, especially since the collectors tend to be people who really could use the money for something else (like not getting the utilities shut off).

Self-motivated collecting, though - mine's mineral specimens. Small, pretty mineral specimens. It's not "collecting" in the purest sense because I do occasionally come up with a brilliant idea for a jewelry piece for one or another of them, but I mostly just like looking at them!

Love, Columbine

Twisterdog
03-18-2007, 03:57 PM
The "accidental collector" paragraph is sooooo true.

I collect Steiff teddy bears. I don't have thousands, honestly, I have like twenty. (Only because they are expensive, though! ;) ) I like these particular bears a lot, but I not particulary fond of bears in general. People don't get that. My family and friends insist on buying me keychains, sweatshirts, drinking glasses, etc. with random images of teddy bears on them. No. Not the same thing. And they buy me any teddy bear they see. Nice gesture, and I hate to sound like a snob, but stop it already. I want a few dozen carefully-chosen, authentic, imported Steiff bears. Not a few hundred generic stuffed animals from Walmart.

My sister once found a set of kitchen stuff - canisters, salt and pepper shakers, dishes, etc. - with green frogs on it. She thought they were cute, and inexpensive, so she decided to change her kitchen to frogs for a year or so just for fun. What happened ... she received 500 frog items over the next decade. She said, "And frogs ... real frogs ... actually kind of creep me out. I just liked these one particular cartoonish-looking frogs on this one item." People mean well, and you just have to laugh, but wow! does it clutter up your house!

I have found, over the years, that my desire to collect and hoard meaningless items grows in direct proportion to two things ... the amount of space I have to put it all in and the amount of time I have on my hands. If I'm bored, I shop. And if there is room, I fill it. There used to be two people in this house, with several extra rooms ... rooms I filled with stuff. When I got married, now there are six people in the house, with not an exta shelf available. This has, fortunately, drastically cut down on the time and money I spend searching ebay and antique stores for The Perfect Insert-Obsession-Of-The-Month-Here.

Twisterdog
03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I collect keychains. I probably have over 150 now...

Do you want some lovely teddy bear and/or frog keychains? My sister and I would be more than happy to send you some! ;)

Argranade
03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
The only thing I collect it my birds old feathers under my bed lol,

Of course there usualy gone every time I vacume .. hmmm.

Roxyluvsme13
03-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I collect pirates of the caribbean merchandise :D.

lizbud
03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Self-motivated collecting, though - mine's mineral specimens. Small, pretty mineral specimens. It's not "collecting" in the purest sense because I do occasionally come up with a brilliant idea for a jewelry piece for one or another of them, but I mostly just like looking at them!

Love, Columbine

Self motivated collecting.... I like that. Not a complusion, just motivated. :)

I loved collecting interesting stones when I was a kid. Had quite a
good collection too. I had forgotten all about that. :)

I also collect old coins from the US and other countries.

critter crazy
03-18-2007, 05:19 PM
About 10 years ago I liked teapots. Little ones, medium ones, with different decorations.I collected them for a long time a put them in my Curio cabinet, and in my China cabinet. :) It is very pretty to look at them in my dinning room area. I have an eye for decorating also. My sisters always ask my opnion on something for their houses before they buy it.I don't collect anything anymore. But I like getting new toys for my chi's or t-shirts and such.
My MIL collects teapots!! she has tons of them! she has a huge section of her kitchen, specifically for her Teapots. They are all sizes, shapes, colors. :D

critter crazy
03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I collect anything with Animals on it!! He he he he!! I love critter Knick Knacks! Especially frogs and Horses!! My bedroom is all horses, and the small bath, is gonna be all frogs, once it is completed!:D

sasvermont
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I have been collecting pitchers for several years now. Have my limit and will probably have to move to a bigger home if I continue! I also have a ton of The Cat's Meow thingies that have the black cat on them......They remind me of postcards or photos.

While I was recovering from foot surgery in mid-January, I became addicted to Ebay and sent away for way too many pitchers and thingies. I need to chill........with the spending....I was bored and used the excuse that I needed to learn how to use Ebay if I want to sell my mittens there some day soon. A poor excuse is better than none.

I also collect money. Feel free to send me any extra you may have and want to get rid of......

Your fellow collector,
Sas :eek:

Vette
03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I guess you could also say that I collect pictures...lol I have a humongous picture collection of my animals..

That sounds like me!!

i erh... tend to collect pictures i find off the internet of someone too. :p

Scooter's Mom
03-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I collect mouse things. I love the little charming tails figurines. And the Wee forest folk... but they are way overpriced for me.

I have a whole set of children's books with MICE as the main characters. I can't have kids... I just wanted the books for me.

I love little mice. Can't have them as pets anymore, the kitties are way too fond of them. The kitties never killed any, but a few times (2) they managed to get into the cage and bring me a mouse from the other side of the house. I decided it wasn't fair to the mice... so I can't have them anymore.

Roxyluvsme13
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
i erh... tend to collect pictures i find off the internet of someone too. :p
*cough* FOXY *cough* :D

But I do that, too, Vette. ;)

IRescue452
03-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I have tons of collections, but I limit them and reduce the amount all the time. Often I regift stuff people buy for me, sell it online, or I toss it in the garbage. Since I like dogs, I get all sorts of dog stuff, and most of it gets tossed or given away. I think accidental collections get started when people are hard to think of gifts for.

Zippy
03-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I used to collect beanie babies and my little ponys.I also used to have a huge collection of books also and vhs movies.They all got reduced with each move.I have no vhs movies,20 or so beanie babies,7 or so my little ponys and 7 or so books.

DrKym
03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Does Pokemon count???? I also collect porcelain dolls, and carousel horses :o

Taz_Zoee
03-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I have been collecting bells for about 24 years. You know the souvenir bells you get in gift shops? I got a beautiful brass bell with a unicorn on it from my uncle when I was 10 and that's when it started. Anytime someone travels they always bring me back a bell. I believe I have over 100 now. Unfortunately, I do not have room for them here, so they are all at my mom's.

People also know I love Taz (Looney Tunes character), so I get lots of Taz stuff too. :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I collect cat things like figurines, plates, pictures, stuffed animals,socks, mugs, etc. and most people know that I love cats so they usually get me cat things.

wolfsoul
03-19-2007, 01:42 AM
My grandmother is unfortunatly the first stereotype to a T. She collects mostly animals. She is an animal hoarder -- it is a sickening disease. She has been known to have 20 or 30 dogs and 100-200 cats at a time. The dogs would be tied to anything in the yard or driveway. She would breed them and keep puppies. The cats would run free through the house and the outdoors, constantly breeding. She would keep the kittens. My mother and aunts had a terrible childhood. They were not able to go play with their friends because they had too many chores at home -- cleaning cages, mostly.

My mom and aunts have been harsh on her these past few years. We've spayed and neutered most of her cats (and for some reason these were always the ones to be eaten by bears and coyotes) and the big fire wiped out alot of her cats, she is now down to maybe 5 or 6 cats. Unfortunatly 4 of them are unaltered so she will soon have more I'm sure. Now down to 3 dogs. We got them all spayed thank goodness. Not before Hildi had three litters, Nikki had two, and her Border collie had one when she was only 11 months.

My mom and aunts go up ther her shack about once a year to clean out her property. Basically they force it on her. My mom remembers going into one room. She opened the door, got it about 1/4 open and it stopped. She shoved and shoved and finally poked her head in. The entire room was covered literally from the ground to the roof with old newspapers. Took forever to get them all out. There was poop on the counters, pee and poop all over the bed, in the bathtub. Everywhere. Now she has another crazy lady living with her so she's keeping it much cleaner. Sometimes collecting is a very dangerous thing..becomes obsessive, and you don't care about anything else.

As for myself, I collect anything to do with wolves and Belgian shepherds. My entire house is covered in wolves. I have 5 wolf blankets hanging on my walls, one on my couch, one on my bed...Wolf pictures framed in every room, a wolf shower curtain, wolf bathroom towels, kitchen cloths, ceramic/glass wolves, wolf plates, hanging decorations, shirts, mugs, picture frames...Anything nice I can find. I grew up collecting things. I went from thing to thing though. I had My Little Ponies, and anything to do with horses mostly. I guess I started out with cats though, and began to like dogs alot. I had a Pokemon phase too, that was a big one.

Pam
03-19-2007, 05:01 AM
I am the opposite of a collector. I am a *thrower outer.* I think this is because my mom collected things. She wasn't a collector/hoarder like this thread talks about but she often bought things she didn't need and had no organizational skills. She'd put things away and forget where she'd put them, so she'd buy the same thing all over again. I am constantly throwing things out. I absolutely hate any kind of clutter.

Sevaede
03-19-2007, 05:38 AM
For multiple reasons, I have a fondness for dragons and certain other "mythical" (in quotes cause I don't know how it should be described) creatures. We don't have a bunch of any particular item but we do have a little mini statue and some other little things. :) :D

sirrahbed
03-19-2007, 06:54 AM
When I graduated from highschool, my grandmother gave me a fancy little box. I guess it was supposed to be a jewelry box. Anyway, it is red metallic with ornate decorations and a red velvet lining. I was intrigued by it because it was fancy, rather useless and because I don't recall any other gift from that grandmother.

Over the years I have bought and received as gifts - unique and interesting boxes. They range in size from thimble-sized to boxes that are about as big as a pack of cigarettes.

Each box has a story, too. I have boxes that represent the country they came from - like my porcelain boxes from Europe. Kaiser porcelain, Villeroy & Boch, Wedgewood. I have olivewood from the Holy Land, marble, soapstone, Austrian crystal, russian lacquered enamel, etc. A favorite is a leather box that my mom used to hold her rosary.

I have pretty boxes that my husband and children bought me over the years that represent holidays and things that they like or that I like. For example, hearts for valentines, pretty florals for mother's day, a box with my favorite flowers (tulips) or cats.

I have boxes from friends that are very special to me. I mentioned once before that I like boxes and a PT buddy sent me a pretty paper mache kitty box. A gift swap friend sent me two stained glass boxes. I have little boxes that contain little figuerines like my sewing basket box with tiny yarn ball and spools of thread. I have a pewter cat shaped box that contains a little mouse and slice of cheese. There is another box that looks like silver that is decorated with a pair of real earrings and a pendant & chain.

This is an interesting thread!

sasvermont
03-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I must admit, of all of the things I collect, it all has started out with a gift from a friend.....and I liked it so much, I began to collect it. It is as though a trigger in my brain goes off, and I notice the object ... and then maybe the next year, I get another of the same from the same person.... and wammo. I am collecting it. I don't think I have ever started collecting things as an original thought. Hey, that sounds like I need a little time on "the couch".... Sounds as though I am being lead around by my ear.......or eyes..... but not making decisions on my own? Oh well, I happen to like what I have collected......so far........

I am sure there is a great deal of psychology to this habit......

Oh well.

SAs

sirrahbed
03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I must admit, of all of the things I collect, it all has started out with a gift from a friend.....and I liked it so much, I began to collect it. ........ Sounds as though I am being lead around by my ear.......or eyes..... but not making decisions on my own? Oh well, I happen to like what I have collected......so far........

I am sure there is a great deal of psychology to this habit......

Guess we both are the "accidental" collectors, SallyAnne. I also like what I have...so far. I suppose I will add a few more over the years but I want each item to be special and unique. Right now, I have some of my boxes displayed on a shelf in the livingroom and they look pretty and are fun to look at from time to time. I also validate my collection because little boxes can be useful and contain such things as baby teeth from my children, foreign coins and cat whiskers. :D

Uh-Oh it does sound a bit obsessive when I see that some little boxes contain these "mini-collections" :rolleyes:

Freedom
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
For years there were these mobils of the solar system, and they included Pluto. Now that Pluto has been demoted and is no longer a planet, I suppose all those mobiles are collectibles?

Roxyluvsme13
03-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Pluto's no longer a planet? :confused:

jazzcat
03-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I guess I'm an accidental collector because I said I like elephants years ago and then the gifts came. I have a curio cabinet my Dad made for me full of elephants now. I have a couple of storage boxes full of elephants too. Plus I have tons of elephant stuff that doesn't go in a curio like blankets, pillows, purses, pictures, pot holders, you name it.

Lately I've become more of a "thrower outer" like Pam. I'm tired of clutter and so much stuff. It really makes my husband mad since he likes to keep everything because according to him "you never know when you'll need it". He has never let me forget that I argued with him that he would never need that high school history book again but it did come in handy holding up the bed until we replaced the broken frame. :rolleyes:

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm not much of a collector. If I see something Toller related, I'll buy it, but besides that I don't really collect anything. When I was younger I had a lot of orca stuff (blankets, posters, stuffed animals mainly) but I didn't purposely collect them - people just knew I loved orcas and whenever they saw something related to them, they'd get it for me just because they didn't know what else to get me/what I liked..

Vette
03-21-2007, 04:43 AM
*cough* FOXY *cough* :D

But I do that, too, Vette. ;)

You know me too well :o LOL

wombat2u2004
03-21-2007, 05:17 AM
I collect keychains. I probably have over 150 now. It all started when my son went to Germany for his senior class trip. He traveled to the city of his birth and brought back a keychain. After that whenever someone went some where they brought me one. Since both of my boys were in the military, AF and Navy they collected quite a few. I have a friend who travels a lot she is a Capt in the Army she never fails to buy me two or three. I ask people all the time for keychains, neighbors, friends, co-workeres, business associates. Everyone has been really cool about it. I have almost all of the 50 states (I have a lot of doubles as well) and a some from the Middle East. I have Germany, Paris, Iceland, Italy, Bostwana, Ireland, El Salvador, Canada, Scotland, Australia, Hong Kong, (which is a tiny elephant) and many many more. I had them on three different cork boards in our hallway and everyone who came into the house always loved looking at them and adding to the collection.

151 soon. :)

wombat2u2004
03-21-2007, 05:27 AM
I collect fossils. And have about 3500 in my collection.
My latest find, was a dinosaur crap.....it even has little bits of undigested bone in it. Really interesting. But they don't gather dust....I poke at them and look at them with magnifying glasses and stuff.
Wombat

Marigold2
03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Can you post some pictures of your fossils? Your collection sounds incredible. So very interesting to have a true piece of dinosaur poop. Amazing. To think of how long ago that was and what the earth looked like before man. How pure the water must have been, how blue the sky, trees everywhere. Fantastic creatures roaming the plains, bigger then a whale. Flying, crawling, running, jumping across this planet. The Saber tooth tiger how I would have loved to see you. Pictures............................... John

Suki Wingy
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I have to say I don't really collect anything but crap. I do have a whole lot of PotC stuff, some breyers, too much tack, but I guess you could call my magazine and Dover Catalog a little obsessive.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I sort of collect scarves and jewelry. Whenever I visit somewhere, I usually end up buying one or the other. I also enjoy anything corgi-related. :) My brother and I have this weird thing where we exchange sugar packets from restaurants in new places, so I have a bunch of odd sugar packets in kitchen drawers, too. :D

Catlady711
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I've always been an eclectic collector (meaning I collect a multitude of different stuff). I've got (had) stuffed animals (249), books, 'nostolgia' items, stuff 'just in case I might need it someday', etc.

The problem is my house is simply running out of room, doesn't help that hubby is a pack rat too. lol

Last year I read a series of books by Don Aslett (Clutters Last Stand, For Pack Rats Only, How To Lose 200 lbs This Weekend). These books helped me ALOT with learning to downsize my collecting and finally throw away some of that worthless stuff clogging up my house. I mean do I really need to keep that t-shirt from the 5th grade I decorated with markers for a project that was too small to fit me even then? NO, so now I take pictures of the really sentimential stuff (so I can look at it any time I want without having to dig through boxes in my basement to find the stuff) and pitch it out or sell it at a garage sale. I have alot more room in my house now (although I still have a LONG ways to go to declutter from my collections).

I guess by those definitions in the first post, I'm a little bit of each one of those collecting types. lol

cassiesmom
03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Pathological collecting also goes by the name compulsive hoarding. Dr. Randy Frost (professor at Smith College in Massachusetts) and Dr. Gail Steketee (professor at Boston University) are about the best known researchers and writers in this area. There are a few others "on the rise", too, but Frost and Steketee were the first. I don't hoard animals, food containers, or trash. But I have too many years of accumulated "stuff" that needs to be culled down. I would not wish compulsive hoarding on anybody, not even my worst enemy. That's my soapbox on hoarding.

dogzr#1
03-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I collect PotC stuff, and probably have over 60 pieces of merchandise. I also collect PotC/ Johnny Depp pictures and have over 500 of those.

I ALSO collect stuffed animals, although not as much as I used to. I have near 200 of them now, and have kept some for 10 years or more. I know they take up a lot of space in my room, but I just can't sell them or anything.

Rachel
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
When I was a youngster (a long time ago) I had a collection of little dog figurines. Most were china, but I did have some metal and wood ones too. They meant a lot to me and as an adult I wanted to pass them on to dog loving children. Today's kids seem to have such an abundance of stuff that I don't think the little dogs had much meaning to the recipients.

As an adult, I have not really *collected* anything. I do like teapots and there is a certain type of ceramic I would like to acquire some pieces, but I doubt that I would want any more than 5 of anything. Guess I don't have the collector mentality anymore. I still think that my little dog collection and that it really didn't have any importance to anyone else made an impression on me.