PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your litter box?

Pam
03-18-2007, 07:15 AM
As I was scooping the kitties' *bathroom* this morning I was wondering where other people have chosen to keep their litter boxes. I actually use an under-the-bed plastic storage container as a litter box. It's nice and big and there is room for two at once if need be. :o I have it placed underneath the basement steps so they have a little privacy. :) There is a cat flap cut into the basement door which provides easy access away from the spying eyes of the dogs. How about you? Where do you keep yours?

jenluckenbach
03-18-2007, 07:23 AM
2 in kitchen (tucked under counters)
3 in living room
2 in front bedroom
2 in middle bedroom
2 in back bedroom
1 in hall
2 in front foster room
3 in back foster room

:eek:

CatLuvrs
03-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Mine is in the water heater/furnce room. It is a pretty big room

Craftlady
03-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Computer room
Bathroom
Living room (new one)

catnapper
03-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I had to vote "other" because I keep it in several locations. One being the closet, another being the bathroom, and others being under my desk, beside my husband's desk, in the basement, in a bedroom, and under the cat tree in my bedroom. Lets seee.... that would be 7 boxes scattered in 7 locations and Allen still prefers to think of them as optional ;)

K & L
03-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Hard for me to vote since we have 2 different areas, but I chose the closets for the indoor litters. I cleared out 2 closets and use these for our indoor cats. Then we have many, many out in our garage for the ones that frequent there and the cat run.

Freedom
03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
three in bedroom A - the home office
three in bedroom B - the sewing room / guest room
1 in bedroom C - my bedroom.

moosmom
03-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Since I live in a one room apartment, there aren't very many choices. For four cats, I have two litterboxes. One in the bathroom and one underneath the kitchen since.

critter crazy
03-18-2007, 09:04 AM
The litter box is in the small bath, that dosent get used.

trayi52
03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I keep mine in the utility room.

Willie :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-18-2007, 09:55 AM
As basements are rare here in SoCal.....I kept two boxes in the laundry room. It is a narrow room so I have to be VERY careful transferring the laundry from washer to dryer and dryer to basket!

prechrswife
03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Ours are in the computer room for now. When baby comes, we will have to modify our linen closet (replace the doors with a curtain to cover the shelves and put the boxes in the floor of the closet) because the computer room will be the nursery. Our bathrooms are tiny (and the one we use least is a Jack-& -Jill style between what will be the 2 kids' rooms), and our laundry room is under the carport where we have to go outside to get to it. (I miss our indoor laundry room in our last parsonage.)

LeahMM
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
One is in the garage cause that's where Quki mostly lives.
One is in the mud room.
One is in the family room.
One is in the spare bedroom.

Taz_Zoee
03-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, this is going to sound really disgusting, but I keep Taz's in the dining room. It is the formal dining room that gets used maybe twice a year. Taz's area is behind a privacy screen thing that has an Asian design on it to match the decor.
When we have parties, which is not often, I move his stuff back to the bedroom since that's where he hides out anyway when there is lots of noise.

Scooter's Mom
03-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I have one in the dining room, which we NEVER use, and one in the master bedroom, again, never used!

We sleeep in one of the other bedrooms. My husband thinks I'm crazy, I gave Charlie the big master bedroom since we usually have to keep him and Scooter Bug separated... and we sleep in one of the "guest" bedrooms. But, it's really weird, I don't feel quite "comfortable" in our master bedroom, and in the room we sleep in, I feel perfectly comfy! Everyone I know thinks I'm insane for that reason... but, whatever works, right? :D

Donnaj4962
03-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I had to say "other". My options are rather limited since I live in an apartment. I keep one box in the laundry room, which is just off of the kitchen area and the other is in my bedroom. I have been thinking of moving it into the office/guest room.... but I hate to make it more inconvenient for 18 year old Tabitha. She uses the one in the bedroom most often. She can get off of the bed, go to the bathroom, and get right back to her kitty cat dreams!

Glacier
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Five in the back room, now called the cat room, but supposed to be my beading studio!

Two in the laundry room

One in our bedroom

One in the computer room

Two in the living room

One in the porch

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I keep all four in the living room. Three are on one side and the other one is on the opposite side.

Roxyluvsme13
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
In the dining room, but we don't eat in there, it's more of a computer room than it is a dining room.

catmandu
03-18-2007, 05:14 PM
2 in the basement.
2 in the bedrooms.
2 in the bathroom.
2 on the porch, in the summertime.
And more coming as thats not enough boxes.

joycenalex
03-18-2007, 05:14 PM
3 different types, 1-underbed storage box, 1- deep traditional cat box, 1-shallow cat box. all are daily at least, scraped. sometimes twice a day. but all in the basement

jazzcat
03-18-2007, 05:46 PM
My cats have a litterbox room. It's like an extra large water heater closet in the garage that they can access through a pet door in the laundry room. I have 6 boxes in there for them. The people we bought the house from made the room for their three cats. It was great for keeping my dog Disney out of the boxes since she thought they were the snack bar.

I also keep one in the garage for Ripley. He likes his "alone" time out there.

jennielynn1970
03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I tried different things where I live now. First I had all the boxes on the 3rd floor, this was before I had the foster cats. Well, it got hotter than heck up there and someone insisted on peeing outside the box which just made it even worse.

So... moved them to the basement. That worked for a while. But then some of them decided "Hey! I'm going to pee against the wall and on the cement floor!" I have an unfinished basement, and this was NOT working for me. Smelly damp cement, icky!!! And the boxes were scooped every day to every other day, and there were 4-5 cats and 6-8 boxes.

Closed the basement door and moved boxes upstairs. One is in the kitchen because foster cat Furbee practically lives in there and is scared of everyone else, so her potty is kept in there for her. Otherwise she poops on the floor. She's also one of my pee-ers, and I'm trying to remedy that. It's been better since I moved the box in there for her.

I moved the other boxes up to my spare room that is like an ironing room. I put my old roller shades on the floor underneath the boxes and have 5 boxes up there at the moment. I want to get some others up there, but I need to clean up where Honeybun has been pooping. I think it's him anyway. Could be one of the other wackjobs that I have that pooped outside the box in the basement too (I didn't have Honey then, so it's possible).

Too many litter box issues. It drives me nuts.

The fosters upstairs have 2-3 boxes in each room. They are good boys and do not poop or pee outside of the boxes. I'm thinking of keeping them and adopting out my guys! :eek: :p (j/k... wouldn't do that.. just frustrated!)

catlover4ever
03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I have 7 in the basement and 1 in the laundry room. The one in the laundry room was set up for Scarlet but now everyone knows where it is so it has become a community box. :rolleyes:

Medusa
03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I've placed litterboxes in the basement and they all use them. But I have one extra in the guest room for Puddy only plus her food and water because she sleeps upstairs away from the other cats so that I can keep an eye on her. Ya never know when she's gonna suddenly get sick plus Coco Puff picks on her. If he does that during the night, I have to run downstairs and break it up. No. Easier to keep a litterbox in the guest room. That's until my son comes home for a visit. Then it goes in the other guest room.

orangemm
03-19-2007, 04:55 AM
We have one on our sunporch and another in the dining room for now; my husband still has his trains up from Christmas in the great room and that's where the other usually goes. They are both in the far corners, for privacy. ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-19-2007, 05:36 AM
2 in the living room (hidden by 2 huge plants)
1 in the kitchen
1 in the cat's bedroom

cassiesmom
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
It's in the bedroom. There is a little niche between the dresser and the closet wall. When she first came home I had one for her in the farthest corner of the living room (sort of behind the sofa) and the one in the bedroom. She gradually stopped using the one in the living room.

Logan
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I voted, "other", because Butter NEVER uses the litterbox that has been sitting in the upstairs bathroom for ages (since Mimi was here). I finally gave Helen permission to take it out of her bathroom, this past Saturday, since it had not been used since July 2006. No litterbox in my house. But, I have an indoor/outdoor kitty, with Butter, who definitely prefers to do his business outdoors.

sirrahbed
03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I have two boxes in the laundry/utility room and three boxes in the Florida room. I took an idea from Jazzcat's "litterbox room" and added a cat flap to the laundry room door that leads outside to the Florida room. The boxes themselves are huge Rubbermaid storage containers.

I am thinking about just putting all of the boxes outside since they spend so much time there and this keeps the litter out of the main house. I also do not like to walk barefoot into the laundry room and get litter on my feet! ;)

mruffruff
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I have 6 litter boxes in a special shed in the outside pen. Four more in the cat room and one in the den fireplace. And still someone has to pee on the livingroom curtains!!

lizbud
03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
I keep 3 in the family room in the basement and 2 in the main laundry
area, also in the basement. Doorways to the downstairs are blocked to keep
the dogs from tippy toeing downstairs for "snacks". I also keep 3 in the garage
for my 2 feral kitties.

elizabethann
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I have 1 and it's in the kitchen.

Medusa
03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Isn't that frustrating, Lizbud? I just brought in 2 more new litterboxes and someone had to show their displeasure by pooping outside the box. Nice. Wish they could talk. Well, on the other hand, maybe I don't. :p

Catlady711
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
By the 'golden sandbox rule', I'm a few sandboxes short.

Golden Sandbox Rule = One sandbox per cat + one extra, and one on every level of your home.

I have 8 cats and 6 sandboxes. The only 'accidents' I have is occasionally Jack will poop outside the box because he has constipation problems. We have been treating him, but 1-2 times a week he'll use the floor in front of the box. Bear & Cami will occasionally overspray the sides of the litterbox, but at least they are IN the box when they do it, never do that outside the box.

I have:

2 Extra large covered sandboxes in my rarely used foyer (downstairs).
1 Extra large covered sandbox in the spare room (upstairs).
1 Extra large covered and 2 Extra large uncovered sandboxes in our bedroom (upstairs).

Medusa
03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I have one per cat plus one. But I will not put one on every level of my house. They're so used to going in the basement that it isn't a problem. I just can't have them in eating areas. I just can't. I know that Specs is occasionally a behavior problem but w/Clomicalm, that's all history now. I just cannot look at litterboxes all over the house, esp. when people come for dinner, which is often. I entertain a lot. As I've said before, this is our house but my rules. And my rule is that they go to the litterboxes in the basement. I realize some of us don't have that option due to space restraints but fortunately, that isn't an issue for me.

Catsnclay
03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
We have a large laundry room where we have 2 boxes for 3 kitties :eek: I know....not the "rule" but for now it works.

ramanth
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
We keep ours in the back bathroom. My parents have two in their basement.

lvpets2002
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
:) Its more like where do I not have a litter box.. :p Lets see = 1 in back bathroom, 2 in back bedroom, 7 in front bedroom in a neat row & last one under/behind TV stand.. Well that wore me out.. :D

prechrswife
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
We have a large laundry room where we have 2 boxes for 3 kitties :eek: I know....not the "rule" but for now it works.

We also have 2 for 3 kitties. Our house is fairly small, and our 3 don't seem to mind. That's really all we have space for.

lizbud
03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Isn't that frustrating, Lizbud?

Not sure what you mean. Isn't what frustrating? If you mean the dog's
habits, not really. I decided this habit can't be changed, I just don't give
them access to temptation. :)

Medusa
03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I think I was probably having a blonde moment. I meant the comment for Catlady. :p