PDA

View Full Version : I can't help but want just ONE more

ashleycat
03-16-2007, 11:54 PM
I've always wanted a long haired kitty.. I saw Jake and loved him, even tho he wasn't long haired. I KNOW hubby won't go for it. I wonder if I can find a plush long haired one. All the ones I've seen pics of, the hair really isn't long. I'm talking persian long. When I got Jake, I was looking for a himalayan. But loved him, even tho he was not long haired. He's exactly the opposite. He's very short hair, it was a lil longer a couple months ago. NOw it's siamese short. Doesn't feel like he has the undercoat. He's VERY slinder and long. It makes him look EXTREMELY tall haha.

I just want a cuddly, furball. The only time Jake is cuddly is at night, or if he's asleep. Other than that he's all play. He doesn't like to be held :( Niether does AShley. I never get any headbutts. Every once in a while I might get one from Ashley at night while she's settling on my pillow.

It seems I will never get the perfect pet. If I combined all my pets together they would be one perfect one lol. Runner is extremely loving and affectionate. But she doesn't give kisses :( I want doggie kisses.

Ashley is soft, but short. She warms up to you sometimes at night and purrs. But you have to go to HER if you want to spend time with her.

Jake follows you room to room. Not really to be with you, but he's curious as to what the heck your doing. And can he have some? haha.

I want kisses, headbutts, up in your face kind of cuddly wuddly.

Marigold2
03-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I love my pets for who they are and give them a good home lots of love and cuddles. Their level of attractiveness should NOT be why you have them. When I adopted my second bunny I didn't care what she looked like, I just wanted a good mate for Benny and a bunny that needed a home. That's how it should be for people and pets. Just because they don't cuddle up to you and your standands doens't mean they aren't wonderful. I hope you get your snuggle kitty but please try to love kitty even when she doesn't want to cuddle.

kitten645
03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I understand and feel lucky to have my combo of kitties...Hobbes is a big lug and keeps to himself but is the first in bed for a half hour of cuddles and loves then he's off to where he pleases. Calvin is a constant cuddle bug and I can't sit without him in my lap but he knows "mommy has to work" and doesn't push when I'm at the computer. He's a squirmer sometimes and he knows "lay down" only when it suits him.
I suggest next time you look you should look to a foster family that may have had an adult cat a while and can tell you who is really a cuddle bug/lap cat. I know there are groups here that foster from kill shelters sometimes for years and know quirks like who likes kids/men/women etc Who is a velcro kitty and who is kewl on their own. Unfortunately lots of adopted cats have seen hard times and it's only natural for them not to be the warmest of kids. I'm amazed at how resilient they are to still love after being kicked to the curb.
Follow your heart. There's a kitty for everyone. I always chuckle when people say a cat acts like a dog and they love it. To each his own. I love the feliness of mine. Each animal is special in it's own way and maybe your "heart kitty" is still in the future.
Best of luck!

Ps Be careful what you ask for.. I had a headbutting kitty that did it so hard in the middle of the night, I woke with a (slightly) black eye!!

ashleycat
03-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I love my guys... For sure!!! Jake is a shelter kitty, and Runner is a shelter dog. At times I find Runner to be a bit funny looking. But I guess it's just how she looks at ya lol. She's kinda chunky and really really smelly.But I still love he. I'm still pretty young so I have LOTS of years ahead of me.

As we speak, Jake and runner are playing. It's soooooooooooooo cute.

All I want is a long haired kitty. Even if it's funny looking. I want to feel that soft plushyness haha.

Before I got Jake, I was looking for a long haired kitty. He's no long haired kitty for sure, but I fell in love with him anyways. He is soooo fun to watch. He really puts the energy in this house. :D

Marigold2
03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Petsmart has kitties up for adoption, maybe you can find a long haired kitty there. Here is a photo of one of my monster cats, Boscoe is 18 lbhttp://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/2-8.jpgs of fur and attitude. He was not a cuddle kitty when I adopted him. But slowly over the years he has become like a piece of glue to me. Whenever I sit he sits, whenever I have a blanket on me he is on me. Or other cat Jake is not a cuddler, I am not a big Jake fan but I love him for who he is a big stinker who always knocks my flower vases of the table and tries my patience often, but he is who he is and I do love him. Cats are like people they all have different personalities.

Marigold2
03-17-2007, 12:03 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/Benny3-4-07013.jpg This is that stinker Jake. See that look on his face, he knows he is in trouble again for something.

krazyaboutkatz
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Jake is still very young and from my own experience cats usually don't start settling down until they're around 2 or so and some will always be kittens at heart. My Pearl is a very short haired Lynx Point Siamese and she'll be 2 in May. She used to be a very independent cat but now she craves my attention and wants me to hold her and to be in my lap.

I would also suggest that you adopt an older cat so that you'll know what his or her personality is like. My Sky is just like a dog but isn't a lap cat. He was shaved because his fur had been matted so I didn't even know what he was going to look like but I fell in love with his blue eyes and his personality. He just happens to be a Norwegian Forest Cat/Siamese Mix so he does have the long fur but he hates to be groomed. Good luck.:)

krazyaboutkatz
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's what Sky used to look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/Sky_010.jpg

This is what he looked like at his fluffiest.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/821a7edf.jpg

This is what he looks like today.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/TestPicturesFromNewCamera072.jpg

Marigold2
03-17-2007, 12:26 PM
What a lovely kitty, pretty eyes, sweet face. A big ole fluff ball. He he. We have to have Boscoe shaved in the summer, he looks so funny then. Big head on this smaller body. I think Boscoe might have some N. Forest in him as well although he certainly has Maine Coon in him.

ashleycat
03-17-2007, 12:41 PM
It may be 7yrs before another one comes. Ashley is 9 yrs old.

When Jake is sleepy or getting ready for bed, hes affectionate haha. Hewill jump straight off floor onto my hip when I'm in the kitchen. He's getting soooooo big.

My Tigger that I had asa kid, he was really playfull. Now he's more laid back and stuff. Ashley never did have a kitten stage. She was born mature.

Jake likes to sleep between my legs or right beside my legs. Sometimes under the covers lol. Ashley sleeps by my head on my pillow.

catmandu
03-17-2007, 04:59 PM
You will probably be in luck as I notice that there are quite a fewlonger haired Cats waiting for homes when I go to Petcetera .
The people love long haired Kittens, but then dont want to do the hard work thats necessary to upkeep that coat.
I know that you would do right by a big fluffy Cat , and we are praying that a Big Fluffy Puffy comes your way!!!

catnapper
03-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I'd love a long hair too, but common sense wins with me. I know I don;t have the time to dedicate to takig care of their fur. One thing that drives me crazy at work is all the people who get long haired dogs and cats and don't groom their dogs or cats until they are one big mat. Long haired pets are definately a time commitment, and if you can't take care of them yourself, then they become a financial commitment to pay for a groomer to do it for you.

Don Juan's mom
03-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I've got that yen myself. I'm temping at an apartment complex, and there's a tabby-and-white girl wandering the grounds. She appears to be well fed, but I just had someone come in and complain about a cat attacking a pond duck. :eek:

I know the rule here on cats is inside-only. I find myself tempted to make her go "poof." :rolleyes:

Liz

Sevaede
03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Krazyaboutkatz, Sky is a big beautiful boy! :D:D

Indeed. I figure my Soni is a NFC mix, too. I did some research on them not too long ago and read that sometimes they don't stop growing until they are five years old. (Taken from The Complete Encyclopedia of Cats). He is almost two and is a rambunctious boy.

Ashleycat, longer fur has to be thoroughly checked over to make sure there is nothing stuck in it (that you would otherwise see on a shorthaired cat) and could embed itself in their skin or could otherwise be detrimental. Such things as foxtails, body waste, sticks, etc. Good luck! Try volunteering at shelters, offering to help with adoption events, go visit the kitties at petsmart, etc. That way you can get to expose yourself to and meet some kitties!

Good luck!

jennielynn1970
03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I have Jorgie, who is a long haired kitty, and was a foster of JenLuckenbach. I saw him at PetSmart first, and thought he was just adorable. He looked so miserable there, kept sleeping in his litterbox. I adore Jorgie, but he is NOT a cuddler, and he HATES to be groomed. In fact, it's more of a "DON'T TOUCH ME!!" thing with him. You can pet him with one hand, but if you go to pet him with two, he freaks out and bolts off of where ever he is. He loves the other cats, and wants to be friends with all of them, but not everyone is tolerant of him. He and Sophie are together most of the time. Sophie is a sweetheart, and she does like to be cuddled for short periods of time. Boris likes people, not most cats, and isn't big into being held at all. She loves to have her belly rubbed, and get rubbed all over, but not held. My only real cuddler is Finae, and even she likes it on her own time. They all have their own personalities.

jennielynn1970
03-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I've got that yen myself. I'm temping at an apartment complex, and there's a tabby-and-white girl wandering the grounds. She appears to be well fed, but I just had someone come in and complain about a cat attacking a pond duck. :eek:

I know the rule here on cats is inside-only. I find myself tempted to make her go "poof." :rolleyes:

Liz

Well, if they know their pets have to be indoors only, and the kitty is outside, and she's really sweet and friendly, if it were me, she'd definitely go "POOF"!

Catlady711
03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
I have two comments on this subject.

1) I find medium haired cats with silkey fur to be more manageable than a longhaired like say Persians or Himalayans. Pooky, Jack, and Josh are all medium haired and they rarely have any tangles. When they do happen to get a tangle it's usually under their armpits or near their hindquarters, and normally smaller than a pea.

2) I've ALWAYS wanted a shorthaired, stocky and large orange tabby, but after 9 cats I STILL have yet to have one show up in my yard yet! I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never have a cat like that, but that doesn't mean I love any of the ones I have, or have had, any less. I'll just take whatever shows up in my yard needing me. :D

catnapper
03-18-2007, 08:21 AM
2) I've ALWAYS wanted a shorthaired, stocky and large orange tabby, but after 9 cats I STILL have yet to have one show up in my yard yet! I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never have a cat like that, but that doesn't mean I love any of the ones I have, or have had, any less. I'll just take whatever shows up in my yard needing me. :D
Where do you live? I'll drop Allen off in your yard ;)