PDA

View Full Version : A Tater Tot story - with photos

Scooter's Mom
03-16-2007, 11:09 PM
When I moved from Texas to Arizona, I had the sweetest cutest little chihuahua named Tater Tot. He was about 6 lbs, very good proportions! He was playful and sweet, and everyone loved him.

My mom was terminally ill, and asked me if she could keep him, because he kept her company in bed. She loved him SO much and he was truly her best friend. And in fact, when she passed, he was the only one there with her. After she was gone, Tater Tot went and woke my dad up (separate rooms at that point, due to mom's illness) so dad could take care of things.

Anyway, my mom fed Tater Tot nothing but people food. He lived with her for 3 years, and went from 6 lbs up to 17... ! The poor little boy had so many issues - he broke his leg, had kidney stones, even got picked up by a hawk once... but in that case his size saved him as he was so fat the hawk couldn't carry him and dropped him... but tore a piece of his scalp off! He nearly died from the infection.

Here's a "before" photo from when he was a baby:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/64215a6a.jpg

And and "After" photo from a few months after my mom passed away:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/db2c4646.jpg

He wasn't very healthy... my brother called him a "baked tater" instead of a "Tater tot" after awhile. "That ain't no tater tot, that's a spud." was common to hear... lol

There is no moral to my story. I guess I just felt like sharing Tater Tot. He's been gone 2 years this month, and even though he didn't live with me for quite awhile, I still miss the little guy. But he provided my mom with the companionship she so desperately needed during her final three years when she was so ill.

Thanks for looking and reading. Sorry about rambling so much.

dukedogsmom
03-16-2007, 11:47 PM
What a cute dog Tater Tot was. And that is some story about him and the hawk. He must have been a special dog to keep your mom company those years. It was sweet of you to let him stay with her. I know you must miss them both a lot.

Ginger's Mom
03-17-2007, 06:32 AM
I really enjoyed "meeting" Tater Tot this morning, and I am glad that you decided to share him with us. Tater reminds me of one of our friends, Tejas. He is also a chubby chihuahua, and he is the sweetest little guy. RIP Tater.

Freedom
03-17-2007, 07:46 AM
What a touching story! Thanks for sharing. Sooo cute.

BCollie_Kelly
03-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks for sharing that story with us, he sure was a special little dog! :)

Scooter's Mom
03-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. He really was a special little one.

After my mom passed, he was my dad's best friend for a couple of years. My dad sure misses him, and refuses to get another pet because he "doesn't want another animal to suffer" because of him.

He thinks the illness was his fault. He worked 12 hour shifts at a refinery, and Tater Tot would try so very hard to not potty in the house... dad thinks that it's HIS fault Tater Tot got sick with the kidney stones. But, dad's retired now. I keep telling him he should get another companion but I don't think his heart has healed enough yet.

Maybe some day.