PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Night of My Life

Toby's my baby
03-15-2007, 04:49 PM
-I'd have to say last night was the scariest night of my life. I got into a stupid arguement with my dad that left me in tears. I went to my room to calm down, but the opposite thing happend. When I got to my room, I sat on my bed, and I couldn't fill my lungs. I started breathing heavily but I couldn't fill my lungs. Something similar happend about a year ago, and a few not so bad things have happend before, so I thought I would just have to keep trying for like 10 minutes. I got my inhaler, and tried to use it, but it didn't work at all. I couldn't walk, and couldn't talk, I also could hardly open my eyes. My mom was going to bed about 10 min. later, when she heard me trying to get air. She came in my room and tried to get me to calm down and breathe, but it didn't work.
-After about 10 more minutes with my mom, my hands and arms went completly numb. I managed to make it out to the car on my own. My mom started to drive me to the hospital. On the way there, I started to shake uncontrolably every few seconds, I still couldn't breathe, and now my legs and face were going numb. When I got to the hospital, I attempted to walk in, but after making it half way, I collapsed on the floor. The nurses came and got me with a wheel chair and brought me to the ER.
-They put me in a bed, and did my blood pressure (which was high) and all the other stuff, and breathing things on me. I was terrified. I honestly thought I was going to die, it had been about 35 min. since I was last able to fill my lungs, and I kept blanking out, I couldn't move any part of my body, I was completly numb, even my mouth. My mom was in tears, but I began to calm down about 30 min. later and was able to breathe again after about an hour and a half since it started.
-I have not talked to my dad since. When I was going to go to the hospital, he asked if he should go, and the only word I was able to yell was no. He makes everything worse, and blames it on me. My mom told him to call the hospital while my mom drove me there. My sister went down stairs about 10 min. after I left, and asked my dad if he had called, he said no, so she did it herself. My dad is driving me crazy, he acts like he doesn't even care anymore. WHY in the world would you not call and tell them I was on my way.
-O well, just thought I'd share with you all. I'm kind of embarrased about it, so I haven't really told anyone except for my boyfriend and 3 close friends, but I thought I could share with you all. :)

joycenalex
03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
i'm sorry that things at your home are so difficult

lizbud
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
That sounds like a full blown anxiety attack. It might be wise to see a
Doctor who can help you control this. Best of luck.

wolflady
03-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh my gosh! That is so scary! I can't even imagine what that would feel like, but it would be absolutely terrifying. I'm just glad everything is ok. Did the people at the hospital say it was an anxiety attack?

**hugs**

Daisy and Delilah
03-15-2007, 05:34 PM
That is very very very scary alright, Beth!! I feel so bad for you honey. I hope you can work things out with your Dad and get some help for the panic attacks. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

*LabLoverKEB*
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Oh my gosh. How scary! I am SO glad to hear that you are okay now. That must have been terrifying for your family. I am so sorry that things between you and your dad are just not working out. Just keep on moving forward. :)

petslover
03-15-2007, 06:20 PM
oh my.. That sounds really scary. I hope you and your father gets things worked out. Life is to short for fighting.

I hope your feeling better now.

Kalei
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh my goodness that would be so scary. Being short of breath feels horrifying, let alone you were even going numb. I"m so glad you are okay. What was it? An Anxiety attack? Asthma? I hope that it doesn't happen again. And I will pray that you and your dad can work things out.

Alysser
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you're doing okay, that sounds very scary to go through. (((hugs)))

luvofallhorses
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
oh wow! I am so sorry this happened. :( but I am SO glad you are okay! :) I agree with lizbud, please go see a doctor so this doesn't happen again. :(
(((HUGS)))

sweetpatata6
03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
:( Awww I'm so sorry, but I know you were afraid, and even though you were, you handled it x10 better than I would of. I'm SO glad you're O.K. and that you're fine. My prayers go out to you. :D Get better, and I really hope it doesn't happen again!

Marigold2
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I am so sorry you had this happen. I am sure your dad feels awful about this. Sometimes dad's just can't bring themselves to apogize. Good luck to you.

sparks19
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Sounds like an Asthma attack coupled with anxiety. But I doubt the Drs would give you a stronger inhaler prescription if this isn't common. But perhaps you should look into seeing a Dr about the anxiety. The numbness is what happens when you can't take deep breaths and you just take fast shallow ones. I have asthma and have been there before... it sucks and is always scary. Stress can always trigger an asthma attack... add in crying and you get an attack that is out of control.

Toby's my baby
03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

I don't know what they said actually, if I can recall right, it was an anxiety attack. I've had one before, but definently not this bad. I went to the doctor for it last year when it happend, and they said I needed to see a physcologist, but my dad denied it and said he wouldn't take me. I think he told my mom not to take me today, because she was going to last night and then today she said I didn't need to. :rolleyes:

critter crazy
03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
-I'd have to say last night was the scariest night of my life. I got into a stupid arguement with my dad that left me in tears. I went to my room to calm down, but the opposite thing happend. When I got to my room, I sat on my bed, and I couldn't fill my lungs. I started breathing heavily but I couldn't fill my lungs. Something similar happend about a year ago, and a few not so bad things have happend before, so I thought I would just have to keep trying for like 10 minutes. I got my inhaler, and tried to use it, but it didn't work at all. I couldn't walk, and couldn't talk, I also could hardly open my eyes. My mom was going to bed about 10 min. later, when she heard me trying to get air. She came in my room and tried to get me to calm down and breathe, but it didn't work.
-After about 10 more minutes with my mom, my hands and arms went completly numb. I managed to make it out to the car on my own. My mom started to drive me to the hospital. On the way there, I started to shake uncontrolably every few seconds, I still couldn't breathe, and now my legs and face were going numb. When I got to the hospital, I attempted to walk in, but after making it half way, I collapsed on the floor. The nurses came and got me with a wheel chair and brought me to the ER.
-They put me in a bed, and did my blood pressure (which was high) and all the other stuff, and breathing things on me. I was terrified. I honestly thought I was going to die, it had been about 35 min. since I was last able to fill my lungs, and I kept blanking out, I couldn't move any part of my body, I was completly numb, even my mouth. My mom was in tears, but I began to calm down about 30 min. later and was able to breathe again after about an hour and a half since it started.
-I have not talked to my dad since. When I was going to go to the hospital, he asked if he should go, and the only word I was able to yell was no. He makes everything worse, and blames it on me. My mom told him to call the hospital while my mom drove me there. My sister went down stairs about 10 min. after I left, and asked my dad if he had called, he said no, so she did it herself. My dad is driving me crazy, he acts like he doesn't even care anymore. WHY in the world would you not call and tell them I was on my way.
-O well, just thought I'd share with you all. I'm kind of embarrased about it, so I haven't really told anyone except for my boyfriend and 3 close friends, but I thought I could share with you all. :)
Oh Gosh I am so sorry!

I had the exact same thing happen a few days ago! I couldnt breath, my face went numb, my chest was hurting, i just felt like no air would ever come in to my lungs again! I was so scared and crying! I have asthma, as well, and when my inhaler didnt work, I got very scared!.Took about 45 minutes before i could calm down and slowly start to breath again. I went to the doctors, and he told me I had Hyperventillated. and stress is a huge cause for this.

crow_noir
03-16-2007, 12:35 AM
*HUGS*

-O well, just thought I'd share with you all. I'm kind of embarrased about it, so I haven't really told anyone except for my boyfriend and 3 close friends, but I thought I could share with you all.

crow_noir
03-16-2007, 12:45 AM
That's non-sense! Every now and then we need a coach in life. If your parents won't help you cope then a psychologist will! It's not that that you're crazy or anything... you just need a non-biased ear to talk to. They can give you more tools for life.

If you can't get a psychologist consider trying to find a community tai-chi class or something. It'll help :-)

Also ask a doctor of the Carotid Massage would help. It might not since it's something different than Tachycardia.

Oh, i almost forgot. What helps me no matter which attack I'm having is to lay flat on my back. If i'm hyperventilating it only gets worst if i'm thinking about it. What i've learned it to try and think of a happy thought and tell myself that it's so silly to be hyperventilating. I try to pretend that I'm breathing normal.

It was scary reading about your post and your symptoms. Been there, done that. Never gets any less scary.

Again... *HUGS* The situation with your father does not sound like a fun one. Do you have any neighbors that you can go stay at if the need arrises? (I was lucky enough to have very nice trust worthy neighbors that knew what my father could be like. With out the support from my neighborhood i probably would have failed HS and never have been able to keep my job.)

Thanks everyone!

I don't know what they said actually, if I can recall right, it was an anxiety attack. I've had one before, but definently not this bad. I went to the doctor for it last year when it happend, and they said I needed to see a physcologist, but my dad denied it and said he wouldn't take me. I think he told my mom not to take me today, because she was going to last night and then today she said I didn't need to.

shais_mom
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm so sorry Beth, I hope you can feel better soon and get this situation with your dad rectified.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
{{{hugs}}} I hope you can sort things out with your Dad - he won't be around for ever

ramanth
03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
*HUGS* I'm glad you're okay. My mom has asthma pretty badly and stopped breathing once. It was really scary.

sparks19
03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
You know what I find helps when I get really worked up and my asthma takes over. Either a nice hot bath.... or boil some water in a kettle... put a towel over your head and just breathe in the steam.

Psychologists are awesome. when I was going through a really rough patch with my sister that forced me to move out of the city I was very depressed. A psychologist doesn't even SAY anything really. At first I thought "this is stupid. he doesn't even say anything to me." Then I realized he wasn't there to talk... I WAS. He was just there to listen to me rant and rave and get it all out. IF needed he would give me some advice to help calm me down in times of extreme stress but that was it.

I'msorry your parents don't want to take you.

king2005
03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
That sounds like a full blown anxiety attack. It might be wise to see a
Doctor who can help you control this. Best of luck.

After reading her post I was going to say the same thing, seeing as how I've had many of those. When I go into one, I totally blank out & don't remember much or anything at all... I just wake up the next day in bed totally baffled... But thats when my ex use to scream & scream & threaten me. I haven't had once since we split a year a go. But I still get anxiety attacks, just not that kind anylonger...

My ex said I would be pacing, crying, shaking & then would start having problems breathing & just before I passed out, he'd put me to bed :(

Try to just stay out of arguments with your dad.. if he starts anything WALK AWAY! Even leave the house if you have to! My mom use to upset me daily (I think she enjoyed it) for many many many years... When she killed my dog dec 13th 2003, I dissowned her 100%... I haven't seen, or spoken to her since.. she has no idea where I live, & knows very little about me... I have never felt better. I no longer have to worry about answering the phone, or be scared to open a piece of mail, or scared to open my front door (ya ok I live in a bad getto, but that doesn't count lol)...

Just try to keep strong, until your out on your own!!

lizbud
03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone!

I don't know what they said actually, if I can recall right, it was an anxiety attack. I've had one before, but definently not this bad. I went to the doctor for it last year when it happend, and they said I needed to see a physcologist, but my dad denied it and said he wouldn't take me. I think he told my mom not to take me today, because she was going to last night and then today she said I didn't need to. :rolleyes:

It's unfortunate your parents are taking this atitude. It doesn't help with
dealing with the anxiety. Something else you could do if this happens again
is to breath into a small paper bag. Just sit down & concentrate on breathing
in and out into the bag.Takes about 5 mins or so, but it will help you start
to breath more normally. It does work. Good luck.

Zippy
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
(((HUGS)))
I am glad that your ok now. :)

Miss Z
03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh Beth, that's awful! Thank goodness you're alright now. And I, too, am sorry that your parents aren't making it any easier for you. PM me anytime you want to talk, I'm no psychologist but I can send virtual hugs! ;)

Lobodeb
03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
{{{hugs}}} I hope you can sort things out with your Dad - he won't be around for ever

DITTO, DOUBLE DITTO, TRIPLE DITTO AND QUADRUPLE DITTO!

I can't emphasize this enough. Dad's aren't perfect and it sounds as if your's has some issues, as I'm sure most of our's do, but you'll be surpised at how much you'll miss him when he's gone.

The sad thing is that you can't change him. He's set in his ways. It'll be easier for you to adapt to him than visa versa.

I'm sorry that your argument with him had this effect on you. I had an anxiety attack once and it was probably one of the worst feelings I've ever had.

I'm not sure how old you are, but maybe you could try to find a psychiatrist clinic, maybe something that's low cost that you can pay for yourself? It's not ideal, I know, but it might help.

Hugs to you. Dads are tough, hang in there.

cyber-sibes
03-16-2007, 03:42 PM
i'm glad you're alright. Sounds incredibly scarey. is't too bad your parents don't understand the purpose of therapy - Therapy is a great place to learn life skills that can help you deal with the stresses that you have to live with. Are you old enough to go to a school counselor or to a community center? They can help you sort out the home issues, so you won't be so prone to these horrible anxiety attacks. Best wishes!

Toby's my baby
03-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Thank you SO much everyone. Reading this has been so supportive.

I tried the paper bag thing the other night, but it just didn't seem to be working, especially since my mom was holding it to my face because I couldn't move my arms. Last time I had a bad anxiety attack, I used a paper bag, and that's how I got over it.

I'm not even sure that we have a phyciatrist clinic here, I live in a rural community, small towns all around us. I live in the biggest town within 45 miles, which only has 8,000 people. I guess I could go to the school phychiatrist...

I'm just glad I only have about 2 years before I'm out of here, hopefully my relationship with my dad will get better...

Karen
03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Sweetie, don't count on your dad changing. Next time, if he starts yelling, remove yourself from the situation immediately. Make yourself cup of tea - no milk, okay? - and breathe the steam from it while it steeps. Even mint or my favorite blueberry tea, if you don't like the taste of tea. Try controlling your breathing - breathe in for a count of 5, then breathe out for a count of five (much harder), then work it up to ten-counts.

When I was a kid, I would tap my toes inside my shoes to help keep the count steady, any little thing like that can help. (It was asthma for me, not anxiety, but breathing trouble is breathing trouble in many ways.)