PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically speaking.....

Glacier
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if you had a cat who could only eat canned/soft food, what would you feed as a primary diet? Pretend kitty has no teeth, but no other health issues, doesn't need prescription diet, and is about 6 years old.

catmandu
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
I would feed either Science Diet or Nutro Canned with some Fancy Feast as a treat.
Cornucopia nad other ultra expensive ones are good, but the Found Ctas are not all that fussy.
Techni Cal canned is good as is Nutrience canned.

Freedom
03-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Same as with dry kibble, the same brands are the best: Merrick, Old Mother Hubbard, Chicken Soup for the CAT Lover, Canidae, Fromm's.

Not necessarily in that order.

DrKym
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I would take my miraculous dog team out sledding to the Ice fishing pond where I would catch fresh fish, steamed to her liking served on a silver platter.......................... Ok now that my day dream of being behind the sled and snuggling the huskies is over.

Merrick is a really good choice here for several of the fosters that arrive advanced in age or tootless due to hard lives . They have all done well on it, I really haven't used the other brands so I cannot speak for them.

Let us know how the Hypothetical Cat does with the food you are not choosing as the question was just a hypothetical one :p

kitten645
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a foster that was dumped at an adoption event
:mad: Can you believe it?? He's probably 14 years old the vet guesses. Because his age they were going to put him down immediately :eek: So here he is!! Smudge has really bad teeth and is skin and bones but ever so picky!! I just want him to eat and fatten up. I've tried every kind of food from the most expensive on down but it turns out he likes the cheap stuff :rolleyes: Maybe cause it's the stinkiest? :confused: So my not so short answer is whatever he'll eat!! My biggest challenge is keeping my two fatty other boys away from the canned and stick to their low cal indoor formula Science Diet!! :rolleyes:

Glacier
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I would take my miraculous dog team out sledding to the Ice fishing pond where I would catch fresh fish, steamed to her liking served on a silver platter

Let us know how the Hypothetical Cat does with the food you are not choosing as the question was just a hypothetical one :p

But there's no fish in the pond closest to us! Guess I could go to a farther away pond!

Yup, yup, I'll let you know how the imaginary kitty does on the food I'm not really buying! :p

DrKym
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
*settles in for an even longer sled ride, realizes this IS heaven :D *

Give FooFoo sctritches to the imaginary kitty from me! ;)

Glacier
03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
*settles in for an even longer sled ride, realizes this IS heaven :D *

Give FooFoo sctritches to the imaginary kitty from me! ;)

Ok, I'll have to put some cushions in the sled for you, much comfier ride! Maybe a thermos of Baileys and Coffee too! :p

Imaginary kitty sends imaginary purrs. She likes FooFoo scritches! ;)

Bengalz
03-14-2007, 09:21 PM
LOLOL Imaginery kitty might like Nutro Choice in a pouch (if it's available in your neighbourhood) very yummy soft and moist and available in four different flavours. I believe the chicken and the turkey have the highest protein content (very close to Innova EVO). Who knows you may get an imaginery cuddler licking their chops with satisfaction :D

Any pictures of this elusive kitty????

columbine
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a foster that was dumped at an adoption event
:mad: Can you believe it?? He's probably 14 years old the vet guesses. Because his age they were going to put him down immediately :eek: So here he is!! Smudge has really bad teeth and is skin and bones but ever so picky!! I just want him to eat and fatten up. I've tried every kind of food from the most expensive on down but it turns out he likes the cheap stuff :rolleyes: Maybe cause it's the stinkiest? :confused: So my not so short answer is whatever he'll eat!! My biggest challenge is keeping my two fatty other boys away from the canned and stick to their low cal indoor formula Science Diet!! :rolleyes:
Smudge! That's my kitty's name! Hey, if you want to get him to eat some really healthy nutrient-ridden stuff, make sure the fatties are out of the room and the door is shut, then mash a little Kitty Kaviar (bonito flakes) into the Pump You Up! food. It is WAY smelly, and hard for most cats to resist. It's also pretty low magnesium for fish, and you hardly need to use any because it smells so strong. A few drops of cod liver oil will also help put some meat on his bones, and help him have healthy skin/coat.

Are you sure he hasn't got some sort of tummy problem, or just such sore teeth that it's hard for him to eat?

{cuddles} to my (great big) wee beastie's namesake...

Love, Columbine

rg_girlca
03-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Well whatever your not buying for this imaginary cat, I hope he/she enjoys whatever you decide not to buy. ;)

Glacier
03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Any pictures of this elusive kitty????

No, No. Purely Hypothetical question....She is imaginary! She doesn't live at my pretend house.....yet.......She doesn't have a name and I'm not picking her up tomorrow. All one big delusion!

rg_girlca
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
*SNICKER, SNICKER* THIS IS TOO FUNNY!!!!

I can't wait to see this imaginary cat in your pretend home that you're not picking up tomorrow. ;)

kitten645
03-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Are you sure he hasn't got some sort of tummy problem, or just such sore teeth that it's hard for him to eat?

Nope. The shelter did give him a once over and he's fine other than his teeth and age. That's why I just couldn't let them put him down :( Not his fault he was dumped or that he's old! When I took him a little over a year ago they told me he probably wouldn't be around much longer anyway :( Here we are a year later and other than skinny he seems fine. I've tried all sort of "treats" but he turns his nose up at all of them. I'll give the caviar a whirl since he seems to like fish flavors the best. Thanks!

DrKym
03-15-2007, 06:50 AM
AHHHHHH pillows....Huskies and and a adorable Fig Newton of my imagination Cat!!

Wow I love my visits to your house, I need to them more often!! Now while I cuddle these adorable dogs.............I was thinking also of my old man that passed in 04, Solomon couldn't eat well either for a couple of years(he passed on at 21) and I remembered that he had a fondness for shredded deli chicken and beef, no prcessed meat, but when I would order sandwich fixings at the store, I would order a pound or so sliced so thin it shredded to spark his tummy and appetite.

Now of course since I would never spoil any of the animals, I didn't really reccomend this, as it would be silly to buy deli meats for a mere kitty, :p and I have never actually admitted in in black and white now either! As it would be a hypothetical solution for a hypothetical kitty living in a dream house that doesn't really exist ...............

*slips a few bones to the amazing and beautiful sled team*

ramanth
03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I want pictures of imaginary kitty! :D

And Dr. Goodnow, I want to share a ride on the sled with you. :) Scooch over and let me drive the pups. :D

Freckles
03-15-2007, 09:10 AM
But there's no fish in the pond closest to us! :p
And why can't there be imaginery fish in the imaginery pond? :)

smokey the elder
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Nope. The shelter did give him a once over and he's fine other than his teeth and age. That's why I just couldn't let them put him down :( Not his fault he was dumped or that he's old! When I took him a little over a year ago they told me he probably wouldn't be around much longer anyway :( Here we are a year later and other than skinny he seems fine. I've tried all sort of "treats" but he turns his nose up at all of them. I'll give the caviar a whirl since he seems to like fish flavors the best. Thanks!

Did you have blood work done on the kitty? Weight loss and poor appetite can be from a lot of problems, like kidney failure or maybe diabetes.

Glacier
03-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Did you have blood work done on the kitty? Weight loss and poor appetite can be from a lot of problems, like kidney failure or maybe diabetes.

The symptoms listed are the exact ones my Beau had before his hyperthyroid diagnosis. For most cats hyperthyroidism makes them extremely hungry and skinny, but in some cases, they loose their appetites entirely. Beau eats much better since he went on Tapazole.

catnapper
03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Hmmmm... hypothetically, I have no idea. Realistically I might have oodles of suggestions. Like this afternoon Abby was enjoying my shrimp fried rice. I had all the fried rice while she had all the shrimp. :p

Glacier
03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Hypothetically, I bought a couple flavors of Nutro and a couple flavors of Eagle Pack Holistic. We'll see if imaginary kitty likes any of those!

kitten645
03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
He was blood tested. He's on pills for hyperthyroidism but it doesn't seem to make a difference. They also checked for diabetes (I'm diabetic myself so it's always my first suggestion! :rolleyes: ) but his glucose is fine. He's so fussy with what he'll eat..only a tablespoon at a time..but he's been this way for over a year so maybe he's just a skinny minny. The vet checks him regularly. My other two are tubbies so maybe it's just the contast. :D
He seems happy and a chatty siamese. Thanks for the input!

kuhio98
03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
When Kuhio was near the end of her life, I tried everything to tempt her to eat and keep some weight on her 'ole bones. I would mince up hooman lunchmeat and cheese as tiny as possible and that would get her interest. Also hooman baby food was always good. It was easy for her to eat and digest.