PDA

View Full Version : Help with adoptions

abumbolina07
03-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me. Sadly I have to give two of my cats (sisters) up for adoption. One of them is Julia who was Cat of the Day in October 2004. I am relocating to England. I have been looking on petfinder and am looking locally (NYC area) but I was wondering if anyone has any other tips as I really want to make sure they go to a good home (preferably together).

jennielynn1970
03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
You can't take them with you?? I know they might quarantine them for a bit, but you don't have to give them up.

Catty1
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I worked at a cat boarding kennel here in Canada. We had one cat going to NZ - and he was able to spend his quarantine with us, and then fly out.

Couldn't be in touch with other cats, but we only let one cat family out at a time, so NP. And the quarantine was only 4 months.

Ask your vet for some places to call. Maybe they can be quaratined with a friend?

good luck!

catmandu
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
We cant adopt or quarantine here, all we can do is pray.

abumbolina07
03-14-2007, 03:38 PM
the quarantine in england is 6 months, plus the deworming, rabies, etc (which is fine because they are indoor cats). but one of the cats is very susceptible to colds. She gets a cold every year so my vet said he didn't recomment it because even if I found the best kennel, if another animal came in with something minor, my cat would likely pick it up. Also, I am afraid of putting them in cages for 6 months. what if they are not the same at the end of 6 months?

kitten645
03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Please look into taking them with you. Traveling with pets (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm)

Freedom
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Are you moving to England or is it a temporary stay? Maybe you need someone to foster them for a school term or something like that?

I wish you the best.

CultureJunky
03-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Yes I'm sure if you look into it you may find that they don't have to be quarantined. I'm sure if they're up to date with shots and all above board, they can get a pet passport.

Yes I've found it, It's called PETS, it's scheme and if they meet all requirements and come from a listed country, which inclues the US then they can travel and get a PETS certificate.

Here's a link from the UK government website. It links to the DEFEA website also. WELL WORTH FINDING OUT BEFORE REHOMING AND LOSING YOUR PRECIOUS BABIES. I hope you're successful, please keep us updated.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivingAbroad/ReturningToTheUk/DG_10012523

Kate