PDA

View Full Version : I need a lightweight vacuum for laminate flooring!

kimlovescats
03-13-2007, 10:23 PM
I know we have had many vacuum cleaner threads, but I have a very particular need! :rolleyes: I want something super lightweight that will just glide across our new laminate flooring. However, it still has to be powerful enough to suck up cat hair and cat LITTER! We just bought a Eureka Boss Superlight and I thought I loved it at FIRST. It is super lightweight and has pretty good suction, will pick up the litter pretty well. The problem? It's the brush bristles!!! They catch all of the cat hair and clog the airflow immediately. I am constantly having to pull all of the wads of cat hair out of the brush before I can suck anything else up. Ummm, kind of defeats the purpose of having a vacuum. :rolleyes: Sooo, I want something that has all the same features but without the brush .... I don't need a brush because I'm not using this on carpeting. Is there anything out there that anyone here can suggest?

Thanks!

Craftlady
03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I use Bissell Stick Vac (it's an over sized dust buster with a long handle). Love it to pieces works great on kitchen floor and even carpet areas that need a quick cleaning.
Got mine at Walmart last Black Friday and it's stilling running like a champ over a year later.
Around $20 but we got ours for $10 :)

GraceByDesign
03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
How 'bout the swiffer vac? vac to suck up the litter, swiffer to catch the hair and dust... Don't own one, just a thought...

I do own a Hoover floormate, that will vac or wash hard floors. It works quite well, but it is fairly bulky. The swiffer vac is pretty compact...

jazzcat
03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
When we got hardwood installed 2 1/2 years ago I bought the Eureka Quick Up Stick Vac and thought it was doing a good enough job but once Rocky and Rumor and all that fur arrived I decided I needed something better. Last year I bought a refurbished Dyson from Amazon and now I use the bare floor attachment to suck everything up from the hardwood and vinyl floors. It's great. My stick vac works for quick pick ups but with all the kitties here it is worth it to just break out the Dyson every other day and suck it all up.

My stick vac has the brush that gets tangled with hair easily too. Hate that!

Rachel
03-14-2007, 06:17 AM
I use Bissell Stick Vac (it's an over sized dust buster with a long handle). Love it to pieces works great on kitchen floor and even carpet areas that need a quick cleaning.
Got mine at Walmart last Black Friday and it's stilling running like a champ over a year later.
Around $20 but we got ours for $10 :)

I have a Bissell Stick Vac as well and it really fills various needs. It does have one drawback however and that is most of what you vacuum up sticks to the little bag that protects the motor in the dust cup, so you end up having to pick off hair, etc from that little bag. The only way I've found to do that job well it to get out my (big) Lux and vacuum off the little bag. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the little light weight vacuum.

Logan
03-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Kim, I use my regular vacuum, which is very lightweight, on carpet and on my laminate floors. The biggest job in our house is the mess that the birds make when they eat. It works great. Plus it came with a little lightweight canister vacuum as well, and it does great on the laminate and hardwood floors, too.

Mine is a Riccar that I purchased probably 6 years ago. Other than replacing the beater brush, twice (wore the bearings out), it has never given me a minute's problem.

Logan

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I use my Dyson normally but for the room with the cat boxes...which thanks to Eddie and his kicking ways requires almost daily cleaning...I use a swiffer. It really gets the litter and hair...but does require FREQUENT emptying of the tiny waste holder.

kimlovescats
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you for all the ideas. Did I mention that I HATE dealing with attachments! :eek: Oh, I guess I should mention that I am a wee bit lazy too! :p

The thing I have right now not only gets the brush clogged easily but also the little flapper thing that leads to the canister. Definitely not made for the pounds of cathair that accumulate DAILY! :rolleyes:

I do LOVE my Swiffer mop, maybe I'll have to give the vac a try too!

king2005
03-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I'll ask Chad what kind of vacuum our little pink one is.. OMG its sooo awesome & it sells for about 50.00!!! Chad got it on sale for 25.00!! Its a canaster, so no hassle with bags :D It has a long hose (no brissles) & can suck up money (thief!!!!)... We have wood floors & a large dog. Its never gotten clogged, well except when it tries to eat clothing... Its also good for attacking people with it ;) i was its first victim & it tried to eat my hair :D lol

kimlovescats
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
I'll ask Chad what kind of vacuum our little pink one is.. OMG its sooo awesome & it sells for about 50.00!!! Chad got it on sale for 25.00!! Its a canaster, so no hassle with bags :D It has a long hose (no brissles) & can suck up money (thief!!!!)... We have wood floors & a large dog. Its never gotten clogged, well except when it tries to eat clothing... Its also good for attacking people with it ;) i was its first victim & it tried to eat my hair :D lol

LOL, sounds dangerous! I'd have to make sure I don't lose a cat with it! :eek: :D

king2005
03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
LOL, sounds dangerous! I'd have to make sure I don't lose a cat with it! :eek: :D

Don't think it could eat a whole cat, maybe its tail & part of its head lol... But It can eat a Rottweilers ear lol :p That was too funny, poor Bear :D

Pam
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Last year I bought a refurbished Dyson from Amazon and now I use the bare floor attachment to suck everything up from the hardwood and vinyl floors.

That's what I do too, although I use my dry Swiffer frequently to collect the cat hairs that collect on the floor and then use the Dyson for anything left behind (serious dirt). :)

king2005
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Isn't Swiffer toxic to pets & children??

I remember reading an article about it & when Chad found out I had a swiffer, he murdered it :eek: His mom is a cleaner & their company has banned the use of all swiffer products.

kitten645
03-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Swifer (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp)

Swifer isn't toxic...Urban Legend :cool: