PDA

View Full Version : Dog and owner called bad names?!

ramanth
07-02-2002, 01:13 PM
We all know how much we love each other's dogs and I'm sure we've all had outsiders comment on our beloved 4 legged friends when out in public.

A lot of people will go out of their way to ask what Kia is and of course will comment on her eyes. Kia soaks up the attention like a sponge. ;)

Anyway, what I was wondering is, has anyone had a stranger, or even a friend or family member call your dog a not so nice name? Or make a disparging remark about the breed?

Once, while I was walking Kia, I had someone start going on about how Kia was the Spawn of the Devil (no joke) and I was a Devil Worshipper for even owning such an animal and that we were destined for hell.

Um yeah. Kia's just looking at me like, "Why is that woman waving her arms like that? Does she have a treat for me? Will she pet me?"

I gave the woman the weirdest look, and just kept walking.

aly
07-02-2002, 01:17 PM
A lot of times when I tell people that I have a Poodle, they say "IcK!" or "Ewwww" or "Gross!".... BUT when they meet my bundle of love, they melt.

Pretty much the only times anyone says bad things about my dogs is before they meet them... unless its some snob criticizing Reece on his non-Poodle like cut :rolleyes:

pupper-lover
07-02-2002, 01:33 PM
When I first got Addie, I received a lot of negative attention. For those who don't know, Addie, my lab-pit bull-sharpei, was rescued at 3.5 months. She was picked up off the street, and had obviously been abused and had not eaten well, ever. She was a bone thin 11 or 13 lbs. She was also very skiddish and had demodetic mange (not contagious). People didn't say much, but they really sent me the evil eye. I felt like I needed a sign that said :

"I just adopted this puppy. She was mistreated before, but I am taking good care of her and she is eating well. Please check back in two weeks to see how she is doing. Thank you."

I would get an occasional gasp of horror or a refusal to pet her and comments like,

"WAS SHE LIKE THAT WHEN YOU GOT HER?"

It was a bit stressful, but all I cared about was getting my pup healthy.

Addie is now 60 lbs of pure muscle (thanks to the pit bull in her) with a shiny black coat. She is super healthy. We sometimes get an

"EEK, IS THAT A PIT BULL?"

Of course, when people think she's a lab the reaction is completely the opposite! Usually, the comments are about how pretty and sweet she is.:D

Edwina's Secretary
07-02-2002, 01:49 PM
You mean like our neighbor who came in our house and sat in the living room? Of course, Edwina paraded by as she is wont to do. He said..."Ekk. Like dogs...don't like cats." (He drinks.) Didn't bother Edwina one bit. She just kept on preening and parading.

She has terrifc self-esteem.

lovemymaltese
07-02-2002, 01:53 PM
I have people calling my maltese wimpy all the time because he is so small. I just tell them that dynamite comes in small packages.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Well, you can imagine some of the comments that I get about Drake. He looks like a wolf and when people find out they are a hybrid, the say I am crazy to have him. Everyone comments of how gorgeous he is. Never negative towards him, buttowards Andrew and I. Oh well.

mugsy
07-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Well, like Souraya and Andrew, the negative comments are always directed at Mike and me. Usually we get comments about how beautiful they are and how they want to pet them. Serenity, the Boxer/Pit mix, doesn't give them a chance to ask if they can pet her...she just barges right in and says, "PET ME!!" and they generally laugh and oblige.

Cincy'sMom
07-02-2002, 04:00 PM
We are fortunate enough that all of our friends and most of of neighbors are dog people. I don't know of anyone who has made bad comments about the girls.

There was one time, when Sadie was maybe 8 months old, we had her out front, off leash when my paretns were leaving. A guy walked by with a toy dog ( i don't remember what breed). Sadie saw them and went to say hi. Now, this is Sadie, the friendliest, tail wagginist dog you ever want to meet. The guy freaked. Picked up his little dog, and was jumping around in place like Sadie was going to eat them both. It was all I could do to not laugh in his face! I apoligized and carried Sadie home. Come on, Does this look like the face of a dangerous dog?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p0fc36b589de4acf9ddc4abc9e46ea046/fda34a0f.jpg

KYS
07-02-2002, 07:24 PM
posted by ramanth:
Anyway, what I was wondering is, has anyone had a stranger, or even a friend or family member call your dog a not so nice name? Or make a disparging remark about the breed?>>>.

Yep! Yep! Yep!

I told this story before,
we use to have a little poodle/terrier mix.
I thought she was the cutest little thing.
My mother-in-law use to say she was so ugly
and funny looking it made her cute.
(Use to bother me, I thought she was beautiful).

Last year we went to a dog show as spectators.
We brought Pepper along.
(Pepper is not a show dog, and we keep her natural)

My husband walked Pepper passed a Table and
the woman behind the table made a comment to him
"Your dog needs to be groomed"
My husband told her something not very nice.
(Pepper is my hubby's baby and doesn't like anybody
saying anything bad about her including me) lol

KYS
07-02-2002, 07:30 PM
posted by lovemymaltese:
I have people calling my maltese wimpy all the time because he is so small. >>>>

I saw a Animal planet segment on a Big Rig Trucker driver
and his little toy poodle that travels in his rig where ever he
goes. The little poodle is his alarm system while
he sleeps in-case anybody tries to steel his cargo.
I bet nobody dare call the truck driver or his
little brave poodle wimpy.
Big brave pups come in small packages. :)

Crikit
07-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Nobody has ever said anything about Winter at least not to my face or to my dog friends or families faces but I know that some people were talking about Smudge...actually a lot of people talked about Smudge.

At first they couldn't figure out why my friend was attempting to teach us anything about agility, and they asked her that (it's not her fault that Smudge was a basket case, it wasn't my fault either.) her answer was apparently that she could tell that I wasn't the type of person who would give up on the dog or give on agility because we had a rough start...awwww.

Then some other people were talking about him because they said that he started a fight with another dog, when he didn't it was the other owners dog that started it Smudge and I were just trying to walk past them and apparently it wasn't the first time that that dog had done that in that type of situation and from what I understand every other time the other owner blammed the other dog. But because of that some people at the training centre that we go to didn't trust Smudge around their dogs. Yes I will be the first to admit that Smudge doesn't get along with all dogs but the majority of the time he's a very friendly dog, and I would never let him start a fight with a dog I watch him very carefully when he's off leash, Winter I don't have to worry about because well all she cares about are balls and hearding other dogs the only time she's reacted badly towards another dog is if she thinks they might do something to me, Smudge or herself.

Other then that it's usually just non dog people making non dog people comments or they occasional person not getting my sense of humor about certain things (another training centre thing...very touchy people there)

wolf_Q
07-03-2002, 12:20 AM
Umm well people generally think I'm evil on a regular basis, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the dogs or not. lol. People think that since I am quiet I am either just rude, stuck up, or some sort of devil child I swear.

I've heard many comments about the dogs. Generally people think Smokey is this sweet, young, female dog. And a wimp. That's really the opposite in every way. And most people are either afraid of Reggie, or they always say he is a a scottie dog! I don't get it...schnauzers are much more popular then scottish terriers, and yet he is always a scottie...

Cincy'sMom, sometimes I have to pick up my not-so-small Reggie if another dog walks up to me. He kicks and claws the crap out of me, but it's not the other dog I don't trust...I don't trust Reggie's reaction to a new dog.

Aspen and Misty
07-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Cincy's mom. I think if I saw that adorable face I would just have to ask to pet her! I have a soft spot for lab's

No one ever talks about my dog Teddy. He used to be a show dog so he has that show dog walk and never walks in the grass or in the street :rolleyes: to proper for me. Everyone just says wow he is so beautiful can I pet him and we are like ya sure. (And Teddy is like I am a lady's man ;) )

My Chewy baby, Since he is a puppy no one says any thing bad about him. Except today. My friend, Brook's, dad asked me what kind of a dog I had and I told him he was a Australian Shepherd mixed with a Westland high terrier and he was like OMG what the hell does that look like. (excuse my language) I stood up and said he is so cute and has just the prettiest colors on him. He then said that since Aussie's are a mean breed (new info to me) that he will grow up to be like the dog down the street. (the dog down the street attacked a Beagle named Whinny). :rolleyes: Some people.

A dog I call mine, is Sadie May. I have a dog walking business called All for the Dogs and we walk her. Now Sadie is One BIG Lab. So we get a lot of comments about how our dog is so fat and stuff. (We never say that Sadie isn't our dog cause we consider her ours) All we say is People come in all shapes and sizes and we except the person for who they are not what they look like, so why can' it be the same with dogs? They shut up and walk away :D .

Sorry that was kinda long, but you get me talking about dogs and I never shut up.

popcornbird
07-03-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
We are fortunate enough that all of our friends and most of of neighbors are dog people. I don't know of anyone who has made bad comments about the girls.

There was one time, when Sadie was maybe 8 months old, we had her out front, off leash when my paretns were leaving. A guy walked by with a toy dog ( i don't remember what breed). Sadie saw them and went to say hi. Now, this is Sadie, the friendliest, tail wagginist dog you ever want to meet. The guy freaked. Picked up his little dog, and was jumping around in place like Sadie was going to eat them both. It was all I could do to not laugh in his face! I apoligized and carried Sadie home. Come on, Does this look like the face of a dangerous dog?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/p0fc36b589de4acf9ddc4abc9e46ea046/fda34a0f.jpg

If Sadie came to me, I would run away too!!! I'm sorry but I'm afraid of all dogs, cute or not. Its all because of my one scary encounter with a dog when I was 4 years old, which scared the daylights out of me. That dog jumped on me at the beach and nearly squeezed me to death (I was so tiny back then). If the owner and my dad didn't come running, that dog would've killed me! I never trusted a dog again after that! But I still love all animals, just have to be more careful with some.

Aspen and Misty
07-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Not all dogs are mean. But I know what you mean, I once was babysitting with my Friend Steph. We were watching her little sister Hidie. We were scared to death having been left alone late at night. We were only 10 (and it was only 8). So We went in the Garage with Steph's Chow Min- Chung, cause him being a Chow would scare anyone and would protect us. Steph and I were talking and Hidie was playing with her Barbie on the floor. Well something happened no one knows what (not even Hidie) but Min- Chung lunged at hidie and grabbed her hand. He wouldn't let her go. She looked like a rag doll in the jaws of a killer beast who had only one thing on his mind and that as to kill her. Steph and I had tried to pry his jaws of her, but it didn’t work. So while step hit Min- Chung trying to get him to turn on her and release Hidie I went in and grabbed a broom (I know his sounds mean but if you would have seen it you have to) and I started to hit Min-Chung. He finally released her. After he released her he was like the face licking fun loveing kinda dog we all were used to, no mean bone in his body, we don't know what happned. While Steph called her parents I took Min- Chung outside. With broom in hand to be ready to hit if I needed to. I tied him up slammed the door and went inside. There was blood everywhere. Hidie needed 10 stitches. The family kept the dog. Hidie had no fear of him either. He died about 4 months later, a car hit him. Me, now I am scared to death of Chows, would never go near them again. My neighbor has a chow and I confronted him and told him my fear. Out of respect for me, he keeps the dog in the back yard so I can go on living my life and not have to be scared that when I walk down the street his dog will attack me. I actually "met" his dog, I watched the man pet her, I kept my distance, but he just wanted to show me how sweet she was. But I don't think I ever want near one. Now this is not to change any one's mind about Chows and I'm not criticizing Huney or any otehr Chows (I’m sure she is a sweet dog) and This is not to hurt anyone but it is my own personal feelings on the breed.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Popcorn,

Just as Aspen and Misty said, not all dogs are mean. I was terrified of dogs my whole life. I was attacked by a GSD when I was only 5 years old!

I grew up in the city and when my father was in town (he travelled alot) he used to take us on picnics out in the woods. One day, my brother and I were "exploring" and saw a broken up lil hut. We didn't like it one bit, so we decided to turn around. At that moment, an old crusty man came out and had about 5 huge GSDs! Bigger than I am now! And he told them to get us! My brother and I ran as fast as we could, but one of the dogs got my by the leg. Fortunate for me I was wearing jeans, or that dogs would have ripped my calf off! Heck, he would have torn throw me like lamb chops! I screamed and my father had to shot the dog in the leg to get him of me. I was rushed to the hospital to get my leg stitched and the dog was rush to the vet. My father says that the bullet barely grazed the dogs leg, and that the dog was given to family that lived up in the mountains.

For 15 years, I had been terrified of dogs. If I heard one bark down the street, I wouldn't go down it! If I knew someone had a dog, I wouldn't visit. I hated going to my Grandparents coz they had dogs. I would steer clear of them!

Then 2 years ago, Andrew wanted a doggy so badly, that I decided it was time to get over my fear. We got Drake and the first few months were very tough on me. If Drake barked at me, I wuld freak out. I wouldn't even feed him treats out of my hand. I would throw them to him!

Now look at me!

Cincy'sMom
07-04-2002, 08:46 AM
I guess I am just too much of a dog person...I see a dog running up, tail waggin and I can't wait to pet it! I was bit as a child by my aunt's dog and it never stopped me from loving every dog I see. I may be a hesitant if a dog is barking and growling, it just isn't something i have encounter with a strange dog, and I can totally understand having a fear of dogs. And maybe I am biased, but to see may Sadie girl, it would be hard to stay afraid of her. She would make you love her!

wolf_Q
07-05-2002, 03:59 PM
Lol, Cincy'sMom, I'm a doggy magnet too. If I see any dog, I have to go see them, unless they come to see me first! Of course as you said, you can tail if a dog is not friendly...I'd obviously stay away from them. I would love to see Sadie running up to me with her tail wagging! Just as long as Reggie isn't with me lol. Reggie's not a dog hater, he loves Smokey, and he's good with McKinney, Lady, and my aunts dog, Heidi....just strange dogs when he's on a leash...not a good thing.

yorkster
07-06-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ramanth

Once, while I was walking Kia, I had someone start going on about how Kia was the Spawn of the Devil (no joke) and I was a Devil Worshipper for even owning such an animal and that we were destined for hell.

What???!! Why?! :confused:
People can be so ignorant...........it's a DOG for heavens sake. how could it be evil?

Cincy'sMom
07-07-2002, 09:45 PM
That is a tough question. I do not think any one has the right to tell you what to do with your dogs. People who come over to our house know we have dogs, know they are friendly, and know they are probally going to get licked. I am not going to lock my dogs up, esp. for a long period of time to accomodated guests. I will do my best to control my dogs, but like children, they don't always listen :)

At the same time, while I personally, would not be intimidated by dogs, if I knew the owner and knew they had well trained dogs, I can see where some people might be. I think I would have be upset by the way things were handled. If instead of demanding that the dogs were not to come near her, I think I would have explained that so many dogs made me uneasy and could some of them be kept separated and rotatedina nd out the garage, kennels, whatever. That way none would have to be locked up for a long period of time and 4-5 at a time would be easier to handle then 15.

Bottom line for me is, ask me to do something and I wil try my best to help you. Demand it, or tell me how to do something, and just to be stubborn I'll do the exact opposite. I am obstinate like that though. I guess in this case, i wouldn't end the frienship, I'd just say thanks for the offer tohelp, but we are fine. Then limit your dealings with this person to places outside your home.

yorkster
07-08-2002, 12:42 AM
well said Cincey!

ramanth
07-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Yorkster, I think Kia's eye's just freaked the lady out. It happens.

Mike, I do not think you are over reacting at all. If someone said that about my furbabies, I wouldn't want them in the house at all!

Were you offering to pay her for her help? If so, she probably just wants money and cares less about your friendship. Why else would she offer?

But if you had not planned on paying her, and she offered, I have no clue what's up.

Best of luck to you and Molly.

Andy and I plan on visiting soon. :)

mugsy
07-08-2002, 10:44 PM
I talked to the friend that's in the middle of all this mess and she agreed with us that it was pretty much out of line, however, she wasn't going to take sides. I don't blame her, she has to live with the person!! lol The "friend" that made the statement did TRY (and failed miserably) to make it sound like a request to do something with the dogs. When I told her that it wasn't going to happen, the subject was dropped with her shrugging her shoulders. I am not so upset about losing the other person as a friend because we did have a long talk about it and she is NOT going to let this affect our friendship in any way shape or form. (She's the friend that when she comes over she always says she's going to knit herself another dog with all the dog hair...jokingly of course).

xoxjoaniexox
07-09-2002, 02:02 PM
I have a Yorkie that weighs 5-1/2 lbs. (considered small). I've had people say:

1. Boy she looks like we could mop the floor with her!
2. People with big dogs have said "Boy my dog could heat her for
a snack."

I just don't think anyone should make fun of someones pet. Obviously we love them. Tiffany might be small but oh what a personality. Not to mention that she's gorgeous! lol

toughCookie
07-17-2002, 12:09 AM
I don't have any dogs, but once, I mentioned that I think pug dogs are cute, and someone said they are ugly and look like they are walking backwards, meaning their faces look like their butts!
I thought that was awful to say!

Fett
07-17-2002, 12:17 AM
Slave of 15 dogs, nobody SHOULD tell you what to do in your own house. It is your house afterall. You know how your dogs react to people better than anyone. They're your dogs. If the person feared your dogs, and you reminded them that they are friendly and won't get in your way, then they should be fine with that.

mugsy
07-17-2002, 12:23 AM
Well Andy, you would think so wouldn't you. You met 2 of our dogs last weekend, were they scary?? Btw...I thought Kia was absolutely stunning and VERY well behaved...no devil spawn there!;)

Rottie
07-18-2002, 10:51 AM
I generally get 3 kinds of comments.

1. I get a lot of comments that Carl is "ugly" because he is not "big". Or that he is too "skinny". These kind of comments usually come from big macho guys who think the only purpose of dogs is to impress their friends with.

2. And then there are the people that cross to the other side of the street if they see Carl coming in their direction. :rolleyes: Some people are so dumb sometimes. But, in a way it's kind of nice, because when you're in a crowded area, you never have to push your way to get through, because everyone sort of moves out of your way! ;)

3. The last group of people say what a cute "puppy" you have. When I tell them he is 5, they can't believe it. I think it's because, most Rotts are FAT, and Carl isn't. So when they see a normal weight Rott, it must be a puppy. :rolleyes: