PDA

View Full Version : If anyone could spare some thoughts and prayers ...

.sarah
03-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I would really appreciate it. My grandmother is very sick. She's been in and out of the hospital the past few weeks. She was released two weeks ago after being in for a week or so. She had to start back on antibiotic treatment where she was driving to the hospital twice a day for a 30 minute treatment that took 2-3 hours between driving, waiting, and recieving the treatment.

Last Saturday morning around 2:00am my Papa drove her to the emergency room because she had shooting pains in her stomach and she thought she had appendecitis. My dad and I had visited the week before and noticed that her belly was somewhat bloated looking. She is a very small woman at 90 lbs and so this was very noticeable on her. Turns out she had a hematoma on her stomach and it was filling with blood. The doctors thought she may need emergency surgery to remove it, but the first thing that had to be done was to reverse her blood thinning medication. By thickening her blood she was then at a high risk for stroke. She's had her ups and downs since then but they have decided to monitor the hematoma rather than operating. She has a scan schedualed for tomorrow to see if it's gone down in size.

The doctors also aren't sure if her pnemonia (the reason she was in the hospital a couple weeks ago) has returned (or never fully went away). She was doing much better last night when my dad left the hospital but she apparently had a very rough night. They had planned to move her from the CCU to another room for monitering and my dad was planning on driving home today (they live 3 hours away) but because she had such a bad night, she is staying in CCU and my dad isn't coming home just yet.

She is 80 years old and this is a lot for her body to handle, but she has a strong will to live and sometimes I think that's the only reason she's still here. However she got discouraged the yesterday when the doctor asked her if she had a living will. She's been sick and had hospital stays before, but nothing was ever asked about a will. We're not sure if the doctor is holding back on telling us something or if he just has a bad feeling about her prognosis.

So please, if you could spare a thought or a prayer, I would be so grateful. My dad is an emotional wreck right now and he is not the emotional type of person. We are all very worried.

Daisy and Delilah
03-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I'll surely keep your Grandmother in my thoughts and prayers, Sarah. Get well soon Grandma!!
{{{{{HUGS FOR THE FAMILY TOO}}}}}

Vela
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry to haer about your grandmother. It's really hard watching people we love get older and have so many problems. Prayers for you and your family and comfort for your hearts being sent your way. I hope she's okay.

dukedogsmom
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she's as strong as you say she is and that she can pull through.

Kalei
03-13-2007, 08:31 PM
This must be very hard on your family. I know what its like to have a sick grandmother and lose her, it is very hard. I will pray for you and your family and that your grandmother will get better.

.sarah
03-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Thank you all. She's had ups and downs over the past few days. On Tuesday morning my dad and Papa came in to visit her around 9:00. They tried to wake her up but go no response. They could tell she was breathing but for whatever reason she wasn't responding. They were rubbing her arm and saying her name loudly and no response. After a few minutes my dad went and got the nurse and she said "oh, you just need to let her rest". They did that for a while and then tried to wake her again and nothing. After a while she opened her eyes but was totally inresponsive and would just stare out straight in front of her. They were really afraid she'd had a stroke because her chance of having them was pretty high after they thickened her blood. After finally convincing the nurse that she wasn't acting right, she came and checked on her and went and got the doctor. Later that morning they did a CT scan and determined that she hadn't had a stroke, thank God. They had overdosed her on morphine acidentally and one of the side effects of that is being very sleepy.

She has been doing well the past day or two and the doctor says if she continues she can come out of the hospital on Monday! Thanks to everyone who kept her in their thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it :D

Daisy and Delilah
03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the update Sarah. I hope she continues to do well.
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Jadapit
03-16-2007, 09:42 AM
I missed this thread somehow. I'm so glad your grandmother is doing better! She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
03-16-2007, 09:48 AM
She and you will be in our prayers.

moosmom
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
You and your grandmother will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

Vela
03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Still praying for your grandma. I hope she's doing some better.

Logan
03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Blood thiners are a blessing and a curse, it seems. I hope your grandmother will continue to improve.

Logan

.sarah
03-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, it's turned for the worse. My Nana is on a by-pap machine which is basically keeping her alive. The doctors say there is no hope for her to get better and that she will remain like this. My dad, one of his sisters, and my Papa both want to take her off of the machine and let God do what he wants to do, but my dad's other two sisters want to keep her on the machine "just in case" she gets better. So right now it's a battle between them all. In the meantime my Nana is suffering. It's such a shame that family can't come together in a time like this.

Even with the machine the doctors think she doesn't have much time, and it's just a matter of days before she passes. Please keep her in your thoughts that it will be easy on her.

My parents said that what she is going through is very similar to what happened to her mother in the early 90s, and when it got to this point she passed on not too long after.

finn's mom
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I hope she doesn't realize her children are arguing over what to do. :( That is a tough situation and it's only made harder when everyone has differing thoughts. My thoughts are with you.

emily_the_spoiled
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I am sorry that the children are arguing about this. Your grandmother has lived a good and full life, it is time to let her pass with dignity and grace. You will all see her again someday.

Kfamr
03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I am sorry, Sarah, I am just now seeing this thread for the first time.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. Please know that I am here for you if needed. {{HUGS}}

It is unfortunate that they are in a disagreement over this. Hopefully they will be able to let her pass without any arguments.

Daisy and Delilah
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
{{{{{{sarah}}}}}} :(

shais_mom
03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
sent....
{{hugs}}

luvofallhorses
03-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I am so, so sorry, Sarah.. :( I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. ((((HUGS)))) Remember that we're here for you.

joycenalex
03-20-2007, 05:37 PM
sarah, i will keep your family in my prayers

whomeee
03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Its never an easy decsion to make. :(

cloverfdx
03-21-2007, 06:50 AM
{{Hugs}}You and your family will be in my thoughts Sarah.

.sarah
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
They removed the by-pap machine the night before last. We haven't heard from my dad this morning but they thought last night would be the night. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

emily_the_spoiled
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I am glad that your family was able to reach a decision. Your grandmother is definitely more comfortable now.

My thoughts are with you

Ginger's Mom
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
{{{Hugs}}}

K9soul
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Sarah, your grandma and family are in my prayers. Such a horribly difficult situation to be in :(. You will be in my thoughts.

.sarah
03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
My dad just called and said that his sister called him and told him to get to the hospital right away because they think it's going to be soon when she'll pass. In the meanwhile, my mom and I are getting ready to have our picture taken for a magazine article that's being done on us ... something that my Nana really wanted a copy of. *sigh*

beeniesmom
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm so sorry.

Vela
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear she isn't doing well. You know though, she will be watching over you and she will see the story. It's always hard to lose loved ones but she will always be in your heart and thoughts. Best wishes for you and your family.

.sarah
03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
She's gone. She passed away about 10 minutes before I posted last. My dad didn't get to the hospital in time. His sister was there though and said it was very peaceful. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. If you have any left, my Papa could use them. My dad said this last week is the first time he's ever seen his father cry. They were married for 57 years, and he's just not sure what he's going to do without her.

Karen
03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Sending you hugs, and one to pass along to your grandpa, too.

joycenalex
03-22-2007, 05:57 PM
i am so sorry for your loss ((sarah))

Kfamr
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I am so sorry, Sarah. Please let your family know I am thinking of them and give your grandfather a big hug for me.

{{{HUGS}}} to you, too.

.sarah
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Here are a few pictures of the sweetest lady I've ever known. I've held back on tears but looking through these pictures has me crying so hard I can barely see the screen. I love her with every ounce of my being. This is a lady that never hurt a fly and thought of everyone else before herself. I just hope that she passed a little bit of that onto me.

http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171312&image_version=6&rend=WEB_SMALL

This is me, my two cousins Ashton and Morgan, and Nana at Christmas last year
http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171357&image_version=5&rend=WEB_SMALL

Here she is with Ashton
http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171410&image_version=5&rend=WEB_SMALL

Nana and Papa at their 51st wedding anniversary party
http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171495&image_version=5&rend=WEB_SMALL

Here's the whole family at the same party, before Ashton and Morgan were born.
http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171496&image_version=5&rend=WEB_SMALL

And my favorite - with my Papa on a cruise about 5 years ago. Their bond was so strong.
http://byellis.phanfare.com/show_image.aspx?album_id=239471&section_id=318131&hmi_id=14171475&image_version=5&rend=WEB_SMALL

BCollie_Kelly
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Sarah I am so sorry for your loss. Your Nana seemed like an absolutly wonderful person. May she Rest In Peace.

You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Tollers-n-Dobes
03-22-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm just seeing this now..

I am so, so sorry, Sarah. She sounds like she was a wonderful person. Again, I am very sorry. :(

You and your family will be in my thoughts. (((hugs)))

Kfamr
03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Sarah, you have me in tears now too.

Your grandmother is a beautiful woman. You can tell from her photos that she was a very loving woman, just as you described. She looks as to have been a very cheerful person.

Your grandfather will learn to cope but he will certainly need help from you and the rest of the family. I'm sure he will recieve the love and support he needs.

Catty1
03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
What a beautiful woman, so full of life! :)

There truly is sunshine in her smile and her eyes - she clearly loved her family!

Hugs and prayers to you and your family, and an extra for Papa. I hope Nana's light passed to him and will hold him up. I can't imagine how hard it is for him...

HUGS

Daisy and Delilah
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family, Sarah. Your Grandmother was a very beautiful lady. She will be sadly missed.

Rest In Peace Nana :(

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} :(

Roxyluvsme13
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Sarah I can't possibly imagine what you're family is going through. I send support and hugs to you all, especially your grandpa. Your grandmother is a beautiful woman, and I know she is deeply missed. ((((HUGS))))

.sarah
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
There truly is sunshine in her smile and her eyes - she clearly loved her family!
That is so cool that you picked up on that just from the pictures. She really did treasure her family. Thank you everyone.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She really seems like she was a vibrant, caring person, and from what little I know of you, it seems like she did pass it on.

I lost my grandpa 3 and a half months ago, and hardly a day goes by when I don't think of him. It is very hard to lose such an important person in your life. (((hugs)))

luvofallhorses
03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I am so very sorry, Sarah. :( You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. ((((HUGS)))) to you and your family.

Miss Z
03-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh gawd, can't believe I have only seen this just now.

Sarah, please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of one of life's angels, your grandmother. My thoughts are with you and your family, please feel free to PM me anytime you feel like talking. It was just over a year ago that I lost my grandfather so I'm feeling some emotional pain too.

((hugs)) :(

.sarah
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Thank you all so much. I've cried my fair share of tears but I've also tried to be happy. I've been talking on the phone to my friends a lot since then and they've kept me laughing. I know my Nana would not want to see her family in tears. It'll be different come Monday and Tuesday at the visitation and the funeral, and I know I'll be crying again, but for now I'm trying to stay positive and just keep living life. I think for the most part it hasn't really set in, because I just saw her two weeks ago, and it doesn't seem possible that she's really gone so soon after that. But thank you again, I really appreciate all of the comments.

Daisy and Delilah
03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
{{{{{{{Sarah and Family}}}}}}}

K9karen
03-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Sarah, I'm so very sorry I just saw this.

My deepest condolences. Your nana's smile says it all. She'll see your article for the paper and will always be with you. Love never dies. Take extra good care of your grandfather. He'll make it with loving support. My situation was the same with my parents, so I feel your pain. Kisses and hugs to you and your family

.sarah
03-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Thank you. The visitation was tonight. My family was overwhelmed with the number of people that showed up. Over 300 people came. She was just one of those people that everyone loved. She never had a bad thing to say about anyone. She was the grandmother that everyone wants to have growing up. She was just an amazing lady.

I'm having trouble sleeping tonight. It's 12:30am, and I'm in her living room which overlooks the kitchen. I just keep thinking about my Nana making breakfast for everyone. It just seems so unreal. Everytime I've been in this living room, she's been right here. I thought that the service would provide some closure but really it hasn't. I know it will come with time but right now it still seems like a dream. I've never lost someone so close to me and I guess I'm just not ready to accept it.

Here is her obituary. I think it says a lot about her.

Norma Lee (Prince) Ellis, 81, went to walk with God on Thursday, March 22, 2007. Norma was born August 15, 1925 in Mobile, Alabama to James and Margaret Prince. A little over a year later, her family moved to Pensacola where they opened and operated the Electric Maid Bakery, a downtown Pensacola favorite for many years. She was preceded in death by her parents James and Margaret Prince and her brother Howard.
Norma Lee was a 1943 graduate of Pensacola High School and then attended Ringling Art Institute in Sarasota, Florida.
Norma Lee was an active member of McIlwain Memorial Presbyterian Church and, at the time of her death, was the longest tenured member of the church having been a member for almost 70 years. Her involvement in so many church activities and her extreme love of the Lord has endeared her to many that have attended the church over the years.
Norma was also active in the community being a long standing member and past president of Escambia County Home & Community Education (HCE - formally known as Extension Homemakers) as well as holding several other offices. She was awarded the HCE's Homemaker of the Year Award. She also was past District I president of the Florida Association of HCE. Norma loved sewing, quilting and all types of needlework and was a member of the Gulf Coast Stitchery Guild. She was a member of the Pensacola Historical Society and a past member of the Jaycee'ets and Junior League.
Survivors include her husband of 57 years, Robert F. Ellis, Jr., 4 children; Priscilla (husband Eddy), Michael (wife Jody), Raechel (husband Randy), Camille (husband Ted), eight grandchildren, a sister Betty Panaccione (husband Joe), four nieces and their children.
Funeral services will be held at ---- on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 11:00 am with Reverend Rob Looper officiating. Interment will follow at Bayview Memorial Park. The family will receive friends at Bayview Fisher-Pou Chapel on Monday, March 26, 2007 from 6 until 8 pm.
The family would like to thank the staff at West Florida Hospital Respiratory department for their dedication and loving service to Norma during her prolonged illness.

Something that broke my heart tonight was my little cousin Morgan. She would not leave my Nana's side. The night before my Nana died, she prayed to God to please not take her, that she needed her more than He did. Tonight it was as if she just couldn't say goodbye. It was just so sad. It's unfortunate that she and her baby brother won't have her growing up, because she was the greatest grandmother. Morgan is 4, so I'm sure she'll have some memories of her, but her brother is only 1.

And my Nana's poor dog - she keeps looking for her. She just waits in the living room during the day, and at night, she waits by the bedroom door.

My Papa seemed to do okay tonight at the service - he was glad to see everyone. But back at home he doesn't seem well. This house is so big and it feels so empty now. We're going to see if he wants to come stay with us, but I imagine that it will be hard for him to leave here, as well as stay here. I just hope he's able to pull through this.

Thanks for letting me "talk" to you all. I'm not sure that anyone is reading but I just needed to kinda ease my mind a bit.

cmayer31
03-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Sarah. It's clear from your posts how deeply you cared for her and what a wonderful person she was. I can relate a little to what you are going through as I recently lost my grandmother, last November. The thing that kept me up this entire time was just the knowledge of what an amazing person she was while here and that I know she was proud of my parents, my brother and I.

I'm sorry to ramble, but I think what I'm trying to say is that the love between your family and friends for your Nana is evident and she knew that while she was here. She will always be there in spirit and memories and will keep smiling and loving even though she is not physically here.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts, especially your Papa.