PDA

View Full Version : Skunked kitty... any miracle cures?

emilysgk
03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
My moms boyfriend's kitty went and found herself a skunk last night. Its my understanding she got it good. Anyone dealt with this? She is a beautiful long haired orange and white girl. Her hair is so thick right now too from the winter. My mom called the vet and he sad to use Scope mouthwash? Said it works wonders... What do you think? Se spent the nightlast night in the pole barn. It was late and the area has no 24hr stores. She was really bad in the small bathroom and she knows how to open the door. (The kind you pull down or up on) I guess the bathroom rug set has to go since its on that now too. Poor girl.

Catty1
03-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Scope might do it. Depending on how long haired she is, it might be easier to shave her...mind you, better do some Scope first so someone can get close enough to her to do that!

Good luck!

ramanth
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
When one of our cats got sprayed, our vet gave us some kind of shampoo type solution that helped. We also bathed him in tomato juice. It took a few bathings to get all the smell out. This was long ago and I was young, so I don't know what the product was the vet gave us.

However, I love Natural's Miracle for cleaning our carpets, and they just came out with a Skunk Remover formula.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8187

Thankfully I've never had to try it on my dogs.

critter crazy
03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
When our dogs got Skunked, we used.....
* One quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
* One-fourth cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
* One teaspoon liquid soap
begin by wetting the animal down, then apply the mixture and work it through the animal's hair. Leave the solution on three to four minutes, and finish with a tap water rinse

Cinder & Smoke
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Here's the Dawg Fix (should be A-OK on Cats, too!) >>>

Been there, Done that, http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif with most every dog I've owned -
and a couple I DIDN't own!
(WHY do "visiting dogs" have to find a Skunk at MY house!??)

Here's a very common "Recipe" posted on many sites >>

"Foolproof" Skunk Odor Remover

Paul Krebaum, a chemist for the Molex corporation in Lisle, Illinois,
has developed a foolproof odor remover.
This odor remover works on anything including
decomposing organic matter, fecal matter, urine and skunk spray.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup of baking soda
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately.
The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients
lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet,
be sure to rinse him off with water.
Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.
Multiple Soakings and Rinsings may be needed!

**And do *NOT* mix or store it in a CLOSED Container!!!
The Chemical Reaction builds up Pressure and will cause a
Closed Container to Repture or http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif *BURST*!
Use the mixture Quickly - and Throw Out any leftovers!

And be CAREFUL around the EYES! Solution will BURN in the Eyes!

/s/ Phred

Catlady711
03-13-2007, 01:19 PM
When our dogs got Skunked, we used.....
* One quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
* One-fourth cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
* One teaspoon liquid soap
begin by wetting the animal down, then apply the mixture and work it through the animal's hair. Leave the solution on three to four minutes, and finish with a tap water rinse

That's the same formula we give out at work for skunked animals, except we advise leaving on for 10 minutes. I'm also told to dump out whatever you don't use because pressure can build up and pop the top off making a mess.

We also carry a deskunking shampoo at work but we've not had many ppl try it to know if it actually works, although the salesman claims it does, but you know how that goes.

emilysgk
03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Ok.. they were considering the peroxide mix, then the vet said the Scope. I dont knw what would be in the scope that would help? I will tell them that the peroxide mix has been tried and known to work pretty well. I know nothing will probably work 100% but as long as its not being spread around the house and isnt too horrible, it will be enough. My husband got sprayed once, got just a bit on his upper arm... would not come off! (It had gotten into a live trap)

catmandu
03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I Know My Vet Being A Country Vet Has Made Up His Own Solution As Hes Always Getting Dogs In That Have Run Into Skunks.
He Said He Got Very Few Cats As Cats Are More Cautious Around Skunks Than A Dog Has A Tendacy To Be.
We Hope Your Moms Cat Is No Longer Kitty Le Pew.

lvpets2002
03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
:) Awee poor wittle baby.. I guess this means the wittle one not sleeping in bed with you now.. :D Yes I have heard most all of the advise given.. But have heard Tomato Juice was the best for a bathing..

smokey the elder
03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Scope has alcohol, which acts as a solvent for the active stinky stuff in skunk spray. I would prefer the peroxide formula, since the alcohol may evaporate too quickly to be of much use!

sweetpatata6
03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
TOMATO PASTE AND JUICE!!! (thaough that could get very messy!!)lol! My daddy says it works

mrspunkysmom
03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I've been skunked (very long story) and was told that tomato juice worked. It smelled enough that I discarded all that I was wearing and just showered. It wasn't worth the risk of stinking up the machine.

emilysgk
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
They used to mouthwash, and so far, it seems to have worked. She smells slightly in the face, obviously they didnt use it there. Time will tell since she still smell "fresh" lol They wet her down with it, let it sit a couple minutes and rinsed.