PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate Telecommuting Resources?

Lobodeb
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello.

I am in the process of losing my job. I don't want to go into too many details, but the decision has been made. On the bright side, I'm finally going to go to culinary school in May! But I need to find a job with suitable hours to help with bills. I would love to work from home, but my search always ends up with either having to pay a subscription fee, get an online certificate or those outrageous claims that I can make $20,000 a month.

Does anyone know of any legitimate telecommuting job boards out there?

Thanks.

Edit to add:

I guess it might help you to know what type of work I'm looking for, right? :o
I'm looking for meeting/event planning, admin asst, data entry, word processing, or travel agent (I'm not certified, however).

Lobodeb
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
shameless bump. :o

Anyone? :confused: :(

Ginger's Mom
03-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Maybe it is just my distrustful nature, but no Debby, I don't think any site/company that advertises working from home doesn't have some kind of hook. Usually that you have to make some sort of investment and work like crazy to make back your money, or make the investment and then find your own customer base anyway. No sorry, I think the only "real" or "secure" telecommuting job is one with a local company where you answer an average newspaper "help wanted" ad for a job and work out a deal with them to work at home. I think there are several jobs that can be done at home (medical transcriptionist, legal transcriptionist), but you need to go through the normal routine of going to the physical office meeting face to face having the normal interview process and working out with the company what you will be paid (whether it is by page or by project) on a piecemeal basis. You may also find some publishing companies that will be willing to let you do proofreading/editing from home. But I wouldn't be looking at "gimmicky" kinds of ads or boards to find that type of position.

Rachel
03-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I agree with Ginger's Mom and think you should look locally. I've been telecommunting for almost 30 years. I do the bookkeeping and answering the phones of a small remodeling company. The process aided by a computer software program where files can be transferred back and forth between my office and the man I do the work for. When I started out I used to answer telephones, take messages, and set up appointments for a variety of different companies.

Quick Books is a joy of a software program for bookkeeping and can accommodate the needs of most small businesses. Keep your eyes and ears open for someone in your area who is starting a business or growing one beyond what they can handle themselves. You might want to try putting an ad in the paper offering your services.

Edwina's Secretary
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Are you bi-lingual? I know of work-from-home for people who can do translation. In fact I use someone who works from home to do written translations.

Lobodeb
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that the opportunities are few and far between and are really the luck of the draw.

Are you bi-lingual?

No, not completely. I can carry on a conversation and I joke that I know enough to get myself arrested and maybe back out of trouble :o but that's it.

The search continues.

kuhio98
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't know of any websites, but you might want to check with your local schools and police departments for at-home work. My mom did data processing for a police department in St. Louis from her home. They had lots of records from pre-computer days that needed to be entered into their database.

And schools were in the same boat. They had records that needed to be entered. It didn't pay much but it kept a roof overhead.

I am SO glad to hear that you are following your passion with the culinary school!!! :D