PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Ashley Drinking More Water Than She Used To

Anikaca77
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. My 2 year old cat soon to be 3 has been increasing her water in take. My fiance has gotten her trained on drinking water from the sink and she will drink out of the water bowls as well but she seems to really want the water anytime we go into the bathroom and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned. She has not lost any weight and she's fairly small girl to begin with.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Catty1
03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Is the weather warmer?

You may want to just phone your vet and ask a tech there.

momcat
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Hmm, have you changed to a different food for Ashley recently? Just a thought. Is there any change in her personality, activity level? Are there any changes with the litter box, is she going more than what's normal for her? Fewer trips than normal? How is she eating? Have you noticed any "accidents" around your house? While I have no veterinary background except for taking Groucho for his check-ups, I'm wondering if Ashley may have diabetes. Please understand this is nothing more than a question you may want to go over with your vet. I'm sure there could be many reasons for her drinking more water. The only suggestion I can make for now is talk to your vet as soon as you can. That's the only way you'll know if it's nothing or something that needs a closer look. Please keep us updated?

emilysgk
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Has she recently started drinking out of the sink? And her increase has been since getting used to that? I ask because my old kitty at my dads, and my mom's cat both love water from the sink. Typically the bathroom. So they run to the bathroom every time. For them its a combination of fun and attention. I think in some ways they become *trained* that when the humans go into the bathroom, its time to get get some water.

You should probably take her to have a good exam from the vet before assuming its not health related of course. I hope its just something she really enjoys.

catmandu
03-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I Am Not Sure What To Say As The Found Cats Are Hard To Keep Up With When It Comes To Water Consumption.
I Would Look That Up On A Vet Site , Or Call Your Vet For Advice.
We Certainly Pray Ashley Is All Right.

Anikaca77
03-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi, No I haven't changed her food. She has been acting the same except for increasing her water intake. She eats fine, loves bananas. No accidents. I have 5 kitties so I'm not sure when she really goes.

I heard with diabetes that they have other signs which she doesn't display.

Melissa

Hmm, have you changed to a different food for Ashley recently? Just a thought. Is there any change in her personality, activity level? Are there any changes with the litter box, is she going more than what's normal for her? Fewer trips than normal? How is she eating? Have you noticed any "accidents" around your house? While I have no veterinary background except for taking Groucho for his check-ups, I'm wondering if Ashley may have diabetes. Please understand this is nothing more than a question you may want to go over with your vet. I'm sure there could be many reasons for her drinking more water. The only suggestion I can make for now is talk to your vet as soon as you can. That's the only way you'll know if it's nothing or something that needs a closer look. Please keep us updated?

Anikaca77
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi, My finace has basically taught her to drink out of the sink in the bathroom. I think she has been increasing the water since my fiance has basically taught her that she can have water everytime she's in the bathroom. It sounds like the same situation at my house that is happening at your parents.

Has she recently started drinking out of the sink? And her increase has been since getting used to that? I ask because my old kitty at my dads, and my mom's cat both love water from the sink. Typically the bathroom. So they run to the bathroom every time. For them its a combination of fun and attention. I think in some ways they become *trained* that when the humans go into the bathroom, its time to get get some water.

You should probably take her to have a good exam from the vet before assuming its not health related of course. I hope its just something she really enjoys.

Kirsten
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
To be on the safe side, I would contact the vet. The may do some blood work and a complete health check. An increased water intake may not only be a sign of diabetes, but also of heart or kidney problems, or hyperthyreoidism. Guess it's better to be safe than sorry...

Kirsten

Anikaca77
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
You're right. I'm sure it's nothing just that she loves the extra attention in the bathroom. She so funny with it she rubs her head against the sink like that's going to turn the water on.

Kirsten
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes, probably the water from the sink is just more attractive than the water from the bowl. But I'd still rule out a medical condition.

Kirsten

lvpets2002
03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
:) I agree with others = ck the Temps/Climate & the food intake.. Also would advise a Vet visit due could be Urinary Tract Disorder.. My new baby Bree has Urinary Tract Disorder.. She has to be on Prescription Food.. Now she drinks alot..

Medusa
03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
My Peeka was funny; she'd put her paw in the water dish as though she was testing it and 9 times out of 10, she wouldn't drink. Then she'd run to the kitchen, hop up on the counter and meow next to the sink. She wanted to drink out of that darned faucet! BUT...Peeka also died of renal failure. So, just to be safe, have her checked. Then if all is well, why not try a kitty fountain for her? My Fur Posse loves theirs!