PDA

View Full Version : Murder close to home...

ramanth
03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I really like living in Williamston, but I must admit, this is beginning to get a little unnerving.

Williamston/Leroy Twp. Communities React to Deaths (http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/6421382.html)

"Basically, I'm in a state of shock," says long-time Williamston resident Brian Campbell.

That shock is reverberating through the community as more and more people hear of the Leroy Township couple found shot dead in their home. And with the investigation on hold until Monday, community members are on edge.

"I'd be a fool if I wasn't a little concerned with something happening so close," Campbell says.

Campbell and his wife Jamie have lived in nearby Wiliamston for nearly 30 years, and they say news of the violence is devastating.

"It's going to make people more wary," Mrs. Campbell says.

"It just goes to show people seem like they're capable of anything these days," adds Mr. Campbell.

In downtown Williamston, the sentiments are similar.

"I don't think of Williamston being a place [with violence]," says Williamston's Rob Stanford. "It's got such a small-town atmosphere, it's so surprising."

Everyone we spoke to Saturday in Williamston said this case feels all too similar to the Ricky Holland aftermath. He was the Williamston boy murdered by his adopted parents in 2005.

"Oh, this makes me so sad," says Jamie Campbell. "We've really been knocked down the last couple years, first with Ricky Holland, now this-- it's just taken everyone aback."

"[Ricky Holland] is the first thing that pops into my mind," says Stanford.

But they say these incidences are wake-up calls for people to pay more attention to their neighbors, so perhaps people can help neighbors in times of desperation and need.

"We're not an island here," says Brian Campbell. "This has kind of just woken us all up."

The Campbells are anxiously waiting for details on how the couple died. Until then, they'll do their best to watch out for the welfare of their small-town neighbors.

cyber-sibes
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
:eek: YIKES! Lock your doors!
It is such a different time than when I grew up, violence & drugs have infiltrated everywhere.
On the other hand, I watched the History channel specials on Barbarians all week -- it could be worse. I hope in this case, history doesn't repeat itself!

wombat2u2004
03-13-2007, 07:58 AM
It's pretty terrible stuff eh ????

This is what happened mid January here in Armidale, only two streets from where I live......this poor old chap was hanging out his washing onto the clothes line when this happened.
Still there is no clue as to the killer/s

NSW Homicide detectives are investigating the past of murdered Armidale digger Mark Hutchinson.
Police will also look into Mr Hutchinson's war files to ascertain whether he fell prey to a revenge killing.
Mr Hutchinson, born and bred in Armidale, served as an artillery gunner during World War II in Borneo and Papua New Guinea and was a cattle station manager in Queensland before returning to Armidale.
Armidale Legacy president Sally Taber said Mr Hutchinson was a kind man who nursed his aging father, who suffered from dementia, until his death in 2001.
Those who knew Mr Hutchinson, described as quiet, dignified and one of the town's finest gentlemen, were at a loss to identify a motive which could lead to such a grisly killing.
Mr Hutchinson was found decapitated in the rear yard of his Markham St home by his nephew on Saturday afternoon.
The nephew was travelling home from a holiday in Queensland and called on Mr Hutchinson on his way through.
His wife and one-year-old child stayed in the car and he sighted Mr Hutchinson's mutilated body before reaching the front door.
Since Saturday police have been combing the area for clues.
On Monday police divers were called in to comb a creek line in the park behind Mr Hutchinson's property for evidence.
NSW Police will not formally identify the body until findings of a post mortem are released.
A police spokesperson said all investigations so far had indicated it was Mr Hutchinson's body and it was important to release the photo in the hope it would prompt members of the public with any information about the case to come forward.
Police would like to speak to anyone at the northern end of Markham St or the nearby parkland between 5.30pm Thursday and 2pm Saturday.
Police have urged anyone with information about the killing to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 33 30

THE AGE 15 Jan
The body of Mark Edwin Hutchinson, 82, was found in the backyard of his home at Markham Street, Armidale, about 2pm (AEDT) on Saturday, by a nephew who had been passing through the northern NSW city. His head had been severed and was lying beside his body, police said. Mr Hutchinson was last seen at 5.30pm last Thursday, January 11.
Criminologist, Bond University Professor Paul Wilson, said decapitation suggested the criminal felt "extreme hatred" and "anger" towards Mr Hutchinson.
"It sounds as though it's somebody who knows the person," he said.
"It (the motive) could be for perceived or real injustice, I don't know."
The killing was likely to have been carried out by one or two people rather than a group of attackers, he said.
Mr Hutchinson served as a gunner in the 2/12 Field Regiment in World War II, having enlisted on May 10, 1943, fighting in New Guinea and Borneo.
It is the state's second grisly murder in less than a month.

82 years old ???? Wouldn't you think they'd leave someone that old just to live out their life in peace, and die with dignity.
Wombat

ramanth
03-13-2007, 08:22 AM
That's so sad Wombat. Poor man and his family. :(

Here's an update on our local story:

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/6447152.html

Leroy Township Deaths Murder-Suicide

Reporter: Beth Shayne

"We believe that Clyde Lucas murdered his wife Bonita," Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth explained, "and then turned the gun on himself."

His office identified the couple found dead Friday as Clyde Lucas and Bonita Lucas, known as Bonnie.

The forensics, he says, can prove who did what and when in the master bedroom of this house on Grand River Ave. just east of Williamston. A cleaning lady discovered both bodies Friday, and found Clyde Lucas' rifle at his feet.

The forensics, so far, can't explain how this unhappy ending came to a couple who'd enjoyed the humor of their name pairing--Bonnie and Clyde--for 17 years.

Sheriff Wriggelsworth says he's not sure they'll ever know why this murder-suicide happened.

Neighbors tell us the 59-year-old Lucases spent time in their retirement touring the country in the mobile home they kept in the garage. They called them nice people who kept to themselves.

The sheriff stresses a concern many in Williamston expressed about safety is really unnecessary given the facts of this case.

"The fact that we've determined that this wasn't some kind of random robbery or something like that, I think it's important for the community to know that the Williamston area is not in any grave danger," he said, at a press conference Monday.

The Lucases did not have a history of domestic abuse calls with Ingham County. They had been visited several times recently for medical concerns.

wombat2u2004
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Hmmmmm...that's interesting Ramanth. I suppose they will never find out the reason why this happened, they probably both have taken that to their graves. It's such a shame to happen that way tho....but....sometimes one never knows what happens behind closed doors.
With the old guy here that got murdered, most of our country town is still very shaken up about it. A terrible thing to happen here....nothing like this has ever happened.........it's a peaceful little place, and everyone knows everyone, if you know what I mean.
My daughter goes to school with that old gentlemans grandaughter, and she just hasn't been the same since.....she was always such a happy bubbly little kid....now she is so withdrawn. Terrible stuff.
Wombat

cyber-sibes
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Wombat, how frightening! I hope he didn't see it coming. His poor family, will keep them in my prayers, I don't think you'd ever get over seeing something like that.

Kim, at least you know there isn't a killer lurking in the backyard. Very sad. I wonder if he was suffering from severs depression and just decided to end it all for both of them?
Am saying a prayer for both families.

wombat2u2004
03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Wombat, how frightening! I hope he didn't see it coming. His poor family, will keep them in my prayers, I don't think you'd ever get over seeing something like that.

Kim, at least you know there isn't a killer lurking in the backyard. Very sad. I wonder if he was suffering from severs depression and just decided to end it all for both of them?
Am saying a prayer for both families.

Thanx Cyber....I'll certainly pass that onto my mate (It's the old guys nephew)....I'm sure he will appreciate that.
Wombat

pitc9
03-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Ugh... that brings back bad memories of a little over a year ago for me.

My office manager was murdered along with her 6 year old daughter in bed; it was her husband that killed them both (the 6 year old was his daughter)
He then tried to kill himself but he lived, his trial is going to start in April.

It's all too real, no matter where you live there are people that feel there's no reason to go on for one reason or another, and instead of getting help or killing themselves, they feel it necessary to kill the ones they love because they think they are helping them out in the long run.
Speculation is that my late co-workers husband was in the Hells Angels and he was doing people wrong and he had been found out. So he thought by killing himself and his family that it was going to get them out of the danger he put them in.

cyber-sibes
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Speculation is that my late co-workers husband was in the Hells Angels and he was doing people wrong and he had been found out. So he thought by killing himself and his family that it was going to get them out of the danger he put them in. :rolleyes: Now that's brilliant, isn't it? When my first husband & I bought our first house, a neighbor 4 houses down shot his wife's face off with a shotgun. We decided to rent the house & live elsewhere. You are right, there are unbalanced people everywhere.

ramanth
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM
You're probably right. They'll probably never know why. :(

Angie, that's so sad. :(