PDA

View Full Version : You spend too much time with your vet when...

Glacier
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM
When you call the emergency after hours line, the operator at the answering service doesn't ask for details, just asks "home or cell number, dog or cat this time".

When the vet calls back, he says "Hi, it's Rick." And laughs when you respond with "it's always you."(In the 7 years he has been my vet, I can only recall 2 occasions when I needed help after hours that he was not the vet on call).

You fondly remember the days when you called him Dr. Brown and had no idea what his first name was, or his wife's or his children's names...didn't even know he had a family!

While explaining what happened, he interupts to say "you've never called when it wasn't an emergency. why don't we just meet at the clinic in half an hour?"

He knows your kennel name and all your phone numbers off the top of his head. (I have two accounts at the vet, one for the sled dogs under my kennel name and one under my name for the cats and non-working dogs.)

While checking out your injured dog, he jokes about how his kidneys are in the right spot and his tail muscles are intact(referencing previous injuries suffered by your other dogs!)

He no longer bothers to explain which medications do what, cuz you know as well as he does what Domitor, Metacam, Cephalexan and Amoxyicillan are for, what they do and potential side effects.

He comments that you've had a run of bad luck since Preacher died. I did not point out that it actually started when Kasha died a month before Preacher.

While waiting for the sedation and pain control to take effect, you sit on the floor petting the injured dog and go over the progress of the other animals he's seen recently. (Anvik, Tehya, Earle...)

The bonus of spending way too much time with your vet...being able to walk out of the clinic at 10pm on a Saturday night knowing that your dog could be in no better hands and that when Rick says Founder will be alright, Founder will be alright.

Plus the knowledge that his two kids will be able to afford the best post-secondary education money can buy!

dukedogsmom
03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Ha ha! I knew who wrote that the minute I saw it.

BCollie_Kelly
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
LOL. At least he sounds like a nice guy! :p :D

critter crazy
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

My vet knows who I am before i get the word hello out!:D

Cinder & Smoke
03-11-2007, 11:08 PM
:eek:

I hope you weren't there this LAST Saturday night! :p

I'd think by now you ought to have your own KEY to the Hospital ...
so you could have the lights on and coffee started when Doc Rick arrives.

It IS pretty nice when you take three FurKids in on one appointment,
and Doc can call EACH one by name - and remember what to look for! :)

Do Doc's Kids call you AUNTIE Tamara?
:D

captain
03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Tamara,
I think he probably has you listed in his index as "the saviour of many".

And of course he knows you only call in an emergency ...... because that is when he is on!!!
Gee those kids better be calling you Auntie Tamara ... :D

Glacier
03-12-2007, 12:32 AM

I hope you weren't there this LAST Saturday night! :p

Do Doc's Kids call you AUNTIE Tamara?
:D

Oh, it was this Saturday, as in last night. Founder is still there. Won't be home til Tuesday evening.

His kids are very young, but when they start to talk more, I will mention that to him! :p

Cinder & Smoke
03-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Oh, it (call to Doc Rick) was this Saturday, as in last night.
Founder is still there.
Won't be home til Tuesday evening.

:(

OMG!
Poor Founder! ... What happened? ... Gonna be OK??

{{{Hugs}}} to Founder AND You!
;)

Glacier
03-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Poor Founder! ... What happened? ... Gonna be OK??

Pack fight. Founder lost. Took me over an hour and a half and some assistance from Stuart's Dad to get him out from under the deck. (Stuart was at work til 4am). Founder made sounds I have never heard before and never ever want to hear again. I thought his left back leg was broken. Fortunately, there are no fractures, but he has multiple puncture wounds. Can't be stitched as punctures tend to get infected when they are closed. Rick knocked him out this morning and cleaned up all the wounds. He's staying at the vet clinic so they can pump him full of IV anti-biotics and pain meds. He should be able to come home on Tuesday. He will be fine in a couple weeks, as long as no infections get started.

Dog yards and groups are getting rearranged. FIL and I have plans to close the deck off as soon as the snow melts!

Cinder & Smoke
03-12-2007, 01:33 AM
OM Gosh! :(

Pack fight.
Founder lost.

He will be fine in a couple weeks, as long as no infections get started.

Poor Founder! :(

Good thing FIL was available to help! ... THANKS, Mr. Dad! ;)

Maybe summa da Gang are getting "Cabin Fever"!

You could design a "Dog Runner" along the lines of the Horse people's
rotating "Horse Walkers" - merry-go-round type devices that slowly rotate and
"encourage" the horse to walk in a small circle.

The Dog version might have to spin a lil faster to keep a herd of Huskys happy!

Freedom
03-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I sure hope you get the multi pet discounts!

Glad to hear Founder will be alright. Whew! What a tale.

Lobodeb
03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Dr. Rick sounds like an amazing man. It's a good thing because an amazing person like you needs someone dependable.

Poor Founder! I hope he's ok!

ramanth
03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Dr. Rick sounds like a very cool guy. Poor Founder. I hope he heals up quickly.

Danielle'n'Pig
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
As a vet nurse I wish all clients were appreciative as you!!
x x :)

Glacier
03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
You could design a "Dog Runner" along the lines of the Horse people's
rotating "Horse Walkers" - merry-go-round type devices that slowly rotate and
"encourage" the horse to walk in a small circle.

The Dog version might have to spin a lil faster to keep a herd of Huskys happy!

Actually I wouldn't have to design it. It's been done. I've seen a few of them in other mushers' yards. I'd have to build it myself since I doubt Stuart would have time before he leaves for the season!

I don't think it was cabin fever. I think it was a moose bone that started the scuffle. That and Founder has recently been a bit of a dominant bully!

cyber-sibes
03-12-2007, 01:46 PM
... I'd have to build it myself since I doubt Stuart would have time before he leaves for the season!

I don't think it was cabin fever. I think it was a moose bone that started the scuffle. That and Founder has recently been a bit of a dominant bully!...Ah, where's Stuart going,? :confused:

Mine don't get moose bones, but real bones usually brings out their "inner wolf"! (Geesh, moose bones? they'd think they died & gone to heaven!)

GET WELL SOON FOUNDER....and stop being a bully :mad:

Dr. Rick sounds like a close family friend!

Glacier
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
...Ah, where's Stuart going,? :confused:

Mine don't get moose bones, but real bones usually brings out their "inner wolf"! (Geesh, moose bones? they'd think they died & gone to heaven!)

Work. He's taken a job managing a mining camp. He'll be gone most of the next six months.

Bones don't usually cause any trouble around here. They get lots of them from Uncle Randy, the wild game butcher. Founder had tried to bring a bone in the house about half an hour before all H**L broke loose. That's why I think he was protecting his bone. He wants to take over Muskwa's job as alpha male; that's caused the bullying; but I don't think Founder is truly an Alpha dog. He's not going to be now, cuz he's getting moved into a different area!

Cinder & Smoke
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
"Where's Stuart going?"

Work.
He's taken a job managing a mining camp.
He'll be gone most of the next six months. :(

GONE for 6 MONTHS!? :eek:
Hope he's leaving "Dad" (aka FIL) to help you with chores, trials & trubulations!
How far is The Miner going to be away from the Dawg Ranch?

I don't think Founder is truly an Alpha dog.
He's not going to be now, cuz he's getting moved into a different area!

Uhhh-Ohhhh!
Sounds like sumdawggie is going into the Penalty Box for a Tyme Out!

Founder - after all that - did you get to Keep the Bone?
Fell Better Soon, Bub!

Feelin Better - How's Miz Tamara feeling today?
YOU get Better, too!
;)

pitc9
03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Whew! :eek:
Glad Founder is Okay!

Glacier
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
GONE for 6 MONTHS!? :eek:
Hope he's leaving "Dad" (aka FIL) to help you with chores, trials & trubulations!
How far is The Miner going to be away from the Dawg Ranch?

Uhhh-Ohhhh!
Sounds like sumdawggie is going into the Penalty Box for a Tyme Out!

How's Miz Tamara feeling today?

He'll be home for a few days a month, at least that's the current plan. The mine is about 5 hours from home if you could drive all the way in, but it's not really accessible by road. Way back in the bush! FIL will be around for part of the time, but he's in love with an Irish lass and heading over there soon for an extended visit.

Not really a punishment for Founder. Three days at the vet has probably been punishment enough! He will need to be on his own for a bit to heal up and then I'm going to keep him in a different pen just to reduce the chances of another big fight anytime soon! Just about everyone is getting moved. I'm going to break up the main pack for awhile. The only way to completely eliminate the chances of another fight would be to tether everyone, but I'm not willing to do that. The new accomodations should keep things calmer...*knock on wood*

I got to see Founder yesterday and he was vastly improved over when I left him on Saturday night, so I"m feeling much better. Will be even better once I get him home tonight. Even with 23 dogs at home, his absence is obvious.

Cinder & Smoke
03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
He'll be home for a few days a month ...
The mine is about 5 hours from home if you could drive all the way in ...
Way back in the bush!

Good GRIEF! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif
Couldn't he find some entertainment a lil closer to Home?
Maybe you should work on his ~ Come ~ SIT! ~ STAY! ~ lessons. :p

FIL will be around for part of the time,
but he's in love with an Irish lass and heading over there soon ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif Is his "Irish Lass" still in IRELAND? (As in Across the Big Water?)
He must be another Wandering Spirit.

At least you and Founder are feeling better ... a glimmering of Good News!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Glacier
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Couldn't he find some entertainment a lil closer to Home?
Maybe you should work on his ~ Come ~ SIT! ~ STAY! ~ lessons. :p

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif Is his "Irish Lass" still in IRELAND? (As in Across the Big Water?)

He'd be pretty miserable with that! It's not the first time he's taken a job that required long periods away from home. The difference this time will be I will be able to contact him, not easily, but there will be a way and now I've lived here long enough that I have a list of people I could call if I really need help...got a computer tech buddy, a mechanic friend, a handyman, a wood guy, a well repair guy..... Can't find a house/critter sitter ever though so I guess my nieces will have to come to me this summer!

Yup, she's in Ireland. I expect one of them will be immigrating soon, although they haven't told us which way they are leaning on that!