PDA

View Full Version : Is she happy on her own?

x.Anni.x
03-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Two weeks ago I had a mother cat, Penny; and her son, Ellis. But sadly Ellis had to be put down due to kidney failure. I know have the mother cat, Penny and would like to know if getting a kitten is a good idea. Penny's a 17 year old cat and she had been with Ellis since he was born just over 16 years ago. So she isn't used to being on her own. Her and Ellis got on well most of the time and loved to cuddle up on the sofa together.

Having another cat isn't really something my family have talked about. The closest we've come to mentioning a new cat was my mum saying that she didn't want to be a one cat family. Im sure we would all enjoy the company of a new cat, but would it be best for Penny?

Thanks =]. x

moosmom
03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Ellis' passing. I think right now at Penny's age, adding a kitten to the mix would only create stress. Unless Penny is showing signs of depression, not eating, walking around the house looking and crying out for Ellis, I'd leave it be. She and Ellis were good together because they were mama and son. If you DESIRE another kitty, then great! Just make sure you introduce them gradually.

Catlady711
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
As the owner of a 16 1/2 year old in a multi-cat household here is my opinion..

At Penny's age adjusting to a new, particularly young and energetic, kitten would be stressful for her. With Penny's advanced age she will soon, if she's not already, be experiencing the enevitable effects of aging; stiff joints, decreased hearing, & eyesight. Those things will make it more difficult for her to interact with an exuberant kitten.

My honest opinion is that Penny has had a good many years with her son, but now may be the best time for Penny to have all that love and attention to herself and to console her loss in her geriatric years. As her body gradually slows down, her health may require more medical attention/special foods, and she may have special needs as she ages, which would be difficult to accomodate if there is a kitten in the house also.

x.Anni.x
03-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Ellis' passing. I think right now at Penny's age, adding a kitten to the mix would only create stress. Unless Penny is showing signs of depression, not eating, walking around the house looking and crying out for Ellis, I'd leave it be. She and Ellis were good together because they were mama and son. If you DESIRE another kitty, then great! Just make sure you introduce them gradually.

To be honest I'm not sure where she stands, since she's started to notice his dissapearance she's found some strange /new habbits.
Like she will meow and meow to be fed, she'll get fed, eat a tiny bit, walk off then meow and come back and eat some more. And she also meows so much more now. She used to be quite quiet most of the time but now she's very loud. And I'm not sure if it's just something I started to notice or if she has changed.
She also has a lump in her kidney and the vet isn't sure what it is or if it's harmful or not so I guess im expecting to loose her in the not so distant future. Even if the lumps not harmful it will still grow and eventualy she wont be able to eat, unless the lump is removable, but we wouldn't know unless she had an operation and thats a big ordeal for an old cat.

So I really don't know whether a kitten is apporpriate or not. I'd love one obviously, but I want wants best for her. I don't want her to have the last part of her life alone after she's lived most of it with feline company!

Well I guess I'll have to see what all of you say, I'm sure you know more about cats than I do.

Thanks for responding.

kimlovescats
03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm so sorry about Ellis's passing. It does sound like Penny is mourning his loss. The extra crying and wandering around is her feeling a bit out of sorts without him there. :( I agree that with her current age, and the fact that she is missing her best friend, that you should give her some undivided attention for her remaining days. Once she passes on, then you will have plenty of opportunity to take in one or even two new babies and pamper them for many years as you have with Ellis and Penny! ;)

Taz_Zoee
03-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I had an experience with Taz some years back. We moved in with my boyfriend who had two cats, momma cat and her kitten. Taz and the kitten got along great. Taz and the momma cat hated each other!!! Of course Taz was not as old as Penny. We didn't live there long. Before that and after Taz was always an only cat. He has had dog siblings, but not cats.
But I'm wondering if a very young kitten wouldn't be a bad idea. Her motherly instincts may come out again. I know that now that Taz is getting up there in age, I am hesitant about bringing another cat into the house. (I am wanting to help Noah'sMommy with her situation) And Taz is 5 years younger than your Penny.
It's a tough decision and I wish you and your family the best with whatever you decide. :D
Don't you just wish Penny could talk to you and tell you what she wants??
(sorry, I watched Dr. Doolittle yesterday. LOL)

momcat
03-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of Ellis' passing to the RB. There's no question that our cats do feel emotion and mommy is missing her son. Just a thought, but have you considered adopting a senior kitty to keep her company? An older cat might be a bit calmer and cause less stress than a kitten during the adjustment period. This can be a tough call to make but you know your kitty and I'm confident that you'll make the best choice for all involved.

catmandu
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
We Are Sorry To Hear About Ellises Passing .
We Are Sure Than He Was A Good Cat And Will Be Missed Not Only By His Momma , But His Human Family As Well.
A Kitten Might Not Be A Good Idea, But Maybe Another Mature Quiet Cat Would Give Her Someone To Meeow To And Give A Cat That Noone Wants A Furr Ever Home.

ShylanHal
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with Taz, momcat, and Catmandu. Maybe a kitten would be a bit of a bad idea, but a calmer, more reserved adult might do wonders. But for now just give her your undivided attention until you decide, since she needs all the comfort she can get!

I'm so sorry for your loss, kidney failure is a horrible thing. That's how my dad's dog, Comet, died. I know how much it can hurt, and it must have been just horrible for lovely sad Penny. I hope things work out.

Catty1
03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I think adopting a more mature cat would be good.

Also - if there will be more expenses with Penny's health in the future, weigh that against the cost of acquiring a second cat. Just make sure of that.

What does your vet think?

Meanwhile, sounds like Penny needs a lot of TLC...Give her some extra hugs and cuddles from me, ok? :)