PDA

View Full Version : Musical poll: Does this happen to anyone else?

Karen
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Okay, I know I am not normal. And I did grow up in a household of musicians. I know some people don't have music running through their head 24 hours a day. (Yes, it does mine)

But does anyone else have songs that pop into their head when they see/read a particular word?

Today's Pet of the Day is a sweet little bunny whose name is Bethlehem. Whenever I see the word Bethlehem, the "soundtrack in my head" changes to the carol "How far is it to Bethlehem? Not very far. Well can we find a stable there lit by a star?" etc., etc. The whole song, every time I see "Bethlehem."

The Pet Talk username Daisy and Delilah, on the other hand, makes the old torch song "Fire" - you know, it goes "Romeo and Juliet, Sampson and Delilah," but in my head goes "Romeo and Juliet, Daisy and Delilah ...."

Just gotta know - does this kinda thing happen to anyone else?

Almita
03-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Yes i know what you mean exactly! It happens to me all the time. Like in my Spanish class we got new vocabulary words, and one of the words is "fireworks" from that i just start singing a tune i know that has that as a song title. Anything that has the word in it, in the song title, or part of the band name is said or written. I just start having a tune in my head from it.

Killearn Kitties
03-10-2007, 11:23 AM
I generally have a soundtrack in my head, and what you describe happens to me occasionally, but not as much as it happens to you, I expect. :D

I always loved the story about the crew who were taking Ranulph Feinnes, the polar explorer, to drop him off at the start of one of his unaided attempts at reaching the pole. They knew that he always had the last song he heard running through his head for most of the expedition, so they made sure that the last thing he heard was a song he hated.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Sometimes they do...or sometimes when I am talking about something I find myself wanting to sing it to a particular melody. Eric and I do that a lot, especially when we are talking about the pets, haha.

Sometimes when I am listening to something I "see" it written out musically on the grand staff, especially if I know the song. Since I've been a piano teacher, I often find myself trying to solve problems in my dreams by using notes, like if I figure out how it's written I can solve it. One cool talent I have picked up from teaching piano is that, even if I never play the song, if I see the music a few times and hear it, I can usually remember how to play it without having the music in front of me- I can remember what the music looks like. This doesn't work with really complicated songs, but I do now have a quite a repertoire of songs memorized from the Faber series. ;)

Twisterdog
03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I do that all the time.

I groom a dog named Rio, and every time they call to make an appointment, I have the Duran Duran song in my head all day ... "Her name is Rio, and she dances on the sand. Just like the river running through this dusty land..."

Same with a dog named Delilah ... I think of the same song you do!

I ALWAYS have a song in my head. The only way I get it out is put a different one in its place!

Miss Z
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, that happens to me too! I also experience the inverse effect of it too, upon hearing my surname people sometimes burst into song. :p

Taz_Zoee
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
YES!! I guess having a musician boyfriend - that happens. Also at work we will randomly start singing songs if someone says a certain thing. That could just be because we are weird!! LOL :p
Lately we have been doing this thing where we sing a certain song just to get it stuck in everyones head. hee hee

babychicaleek
03-10-2007, 04:24 PM
"la cucaracha, la cucaracha . . ."

Yes :)

Kalei
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I usually always have a song stuck in my head, maybe not from a word I see, but from a song I heard before. From either movie or soundtrack usually:D

kimlovescats
03-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Yep! I grew up in a music-loving family as well! Most everything turns into a song for me! I can't imagine my life without music! :)

cyber-sibes
03-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I've always got some song or other passing through my head. Anything can prompt one - a word, a sound, a thought... :rolleyes:

animal_rescue
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes! But usually it's things that remind me of a song. Today at work there's this cute little westie mix named Mike and I swear he reminds me of Sandy in "Annie". So I was singing that song all day until I got to the Great Pyranees, who made me start singing "I just can't wait to be king" from the Lion King because he reminds me so much of a lion! lol :p

Daisy and Delilah
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
[quote]The Pet Talk username Daisy and Delilah, on the other hand, makes the old torch song "Fire" - you know, it goes "Romeo and Juliet, Sampson and Delilah," but in my head goes "Romeo and Juliet, Daisy and Delilah ...."[end quote]

lol That is so funny, Karen :)

I have a bad habit of singing songs out loud by associating a particular situation with it. I can't think of a good example right now but I can tell you it can be embarrassing at times. It all comes from my subconscious mind.
Sorry I'm drawing a complete blank but does anyone know what I mean? :confused:

Sophist
03-10-2007, 08:07 PM
:D lol, I do that to my husband all the time. He'll say a random phrase, and I'll burst into a song that contains that phrase or something pretty similar.

It both amuses and annoys him, depending on the timing.

Ginger's Mom
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Yep, me too. :)

Lobodeb
03-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, I do that all the time!

I thought it would be a fun game to communicate by only using song titles. I bet we could all carry on a very decent conversation that way.

I'm such a dork. :o

kuhio98
03-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeppers! In fact it happens to a lot of my co-workers too. One time we were so bored that we decided to play a game.

We continued to work but when we needed to talk about something, we had to phrase it in song lyrics.

Like - Question: Do you know.... where you're going to?
Answer: I'll burn that bridge when I get there.

I didn't say we were good at it.... but it kept our brains occupied while we did a mindless job. :p

cloverfdx
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I always have music running through my head, i think it only stops when i am asleep or stressed :p. It is more situations or places that set certain songs off for me, not words.

I annoyed (Just jokingly) a friend at dinner a couple of weeks ago by mentioning Lamb Chops 'the song that never ends' LOL. All through dinner she would randomly start singing after that.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Yes, that happens to me too! I also experience the inverse effect of it too, upon hearing my surname people sometimes burst into song. :p

which is????

wolflady
03-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, this happens to me too. So many things get me thinking about music/songs because I'm a music nut myself.

Additionally, it also happens during certain seasons of the year. For whatever reason, certain songs will remind me of the feeling I get during the winter, spring, summer or fall seasons. It might be kinda hard to explain, but I feel different "auras" or just something during the changing seasons, and certain songs relate to those feelings. Does that make sense? *giggle*

cassiesmom
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Aaugh! Karen, you're not going to believe what's playing on my intracerebral iPod. I love "Whose Line Is It Anyway" hosted by Drew Carey, with Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Wayne Brady and a rotating fourth person. One of the sketches they do is called "Irish Drinking Song" - they make it up as they go along, of course, but it's got a quasi-Irish melody (Hi dee die dee Hi dee die dee Hi dee die dee Diiiiieee) that's stuck in my head. Yikes!

Suki Wingy
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Multiple times a day, and sometimes one song morphs into another that I haven't heard in years! The other day I was getting ready for work in the morning, still partially asleep, and I randomly blurted out "Hungry, hungry hippos!" :o :)

Logan
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm still digesting the fact that 3 people checked the last choice. :confused:

DJFyrewolf36
03-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I get songs stuck in my head ALL the time...especially at work. Sometimes its TWO songs at the same time, as I'm thinking about how to mix them or Im trying to figure out how I can mix the ambient noise with the song in my head :rolleyes: Almost anything reminds me of music, sometimes in wierd off the wall ways :D

Sometimes at work people will start singing things at random and people join in. It makes the day go by faster I think.

Danegirl2208
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
happens to me all the time...infact, Pembroke_Corgi, whenever i see your screenname a song pops into my head. I dont know the name or who sings it even lol, all i know is in one part she says "no i dont own a corgi" LMAO ;) :rolleyes: