PDA

View Full Version : Got Fur?

RobiLee
03-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Anyone want an akita? Katie has been blowing coat for about 2 weeks now. It seems early to me but I guess not. This is the worst it has ever been. I just can't get over it. There are always clumps of fur laying around. It looks like I have cotton balls laying all over the floor. If she lays down for a nap and gets up there are clumps of fur. If her and Tori get to playing there are clumps of fur flying every where. You can pet her and pull out clumps of fur. She looks awful. She is all patchy and ragged looking. Here are some pics of just one little brushing. I hope this is the worse that it gets through out the years because I'm having a hard time keeping up with it this year. Oh and I did break down and buy me a Dyson. Works like a charm;)

Soooo.....GOT FUR?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/paf5bb16f5a1d64481f793472274e50c0/ea5efa11.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p2af53a2cc6cbd2232cfb15ad22615df0/ea5efa12.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p183c8b98f8ecd3fb20f7d9907a3f6f4c/ea5efa13.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p353a69516e091eae6a00902d40545de6/ea5efa14.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0bf55ffa06c26e6ed2cb956d94985cbc/ea5ef9a9.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p354b3a962a9c7ed002da98c90d6f9bef/ea5ef978.jpg

GrabaLab
03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Wow, that is alot of fur, but such beautiful dogs!! I often complain about black fur here from two labs, but after seeing this I know I have nothing to complain about. By the way what is a Dyson??

pitc9
03-10-2007, 08:07 AM
By the way what is a Dyson??
The BEST vacuum in the WORLD!!!! :D

You sure do have it bad with fur with both of your girls! Does Tori blow coat the same time Katie does?
In my house my pups never shed at the same time, Sierra drops most of hers in the Spring but Buddy waits till she's done, then it's his turn. So it's never ending! Wouldn't it just be nice if they would do it at the same time? Ugh!
:D

You should start collecting fur and have mittens or something made from it!

RobiLee
03-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Tori doesn't blow coat like Katie does. She just seems to shed all year round and the shedding gets a bit worse during the spring and summer. Katie blows twice a year. Once in the spring and then again in the fall. I never knew that some dogs did that and when she had her first blow I was so surprised...lol..it was so funny. I had read about it but didnt know exactly what they meant. Now I know!;) :p

Yes, the Dyson seems to be awesome. I've only had it for a few days and love it so far. I was really leary about buying one because comsumer reports doesn't rate it very well, but after hearing from you all hear and the folks at the akita forum I broke down and went with the Dyson. So far I am not regretting it!

Ginger's Mom
03-10-2007, 09:05 AM
If you want, you can pack that up and send it here. I would love to build my own pretty Tori girl. :)

lizbud
03-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, must be that time again. Smokey really needs a brush out too,
especially around his hips. Does Katie stand still nicely when getting brushed?

CathyBogart
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Hehehe, I brushed out my boyfriend's parents' chow chow a few days ago and got enough fur to make another dog!! Looks like you could make another akita with all that fur!!

The Dyson is just wonderful, isn't it? Totally worth the cost. :D

Killearn Kitties
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh I love your new rug! :D

I don't see any evidence of Katie looking patchy and ragged. She looks lovely from here.

BCollie_Kelly
03-10-2007, 11:31 AM
LOL, I also love the new rug ;)

As for the Dyson, we've also got it & love it! :D

pessimisaurus
03-10-2007, 11:53 AM
phew! that is a lot of fur! its bad enough here with Brock, Im waiting to see what its going to be like when Royal grows up!! Right now I sweep the house (I have hardwood- hallelujah!) and within 2 days theres clumps of fur gathering in every corner!

I just brushed Brock and my thick coated kitty Linus last night with the furminator and got probably 3 times what you showed above btw the 2 of them. But that will prob be all the brushing they will need for weeks-months. I cant imagine getting that much every day for 2+ weeks!! lol

Taz_Zoee
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
LOL That's what my moms front lawn would look like after brushing my sisters GSD's. I would come home and ask.....Did a dog blow up on the front lawn? :p
Yeah, you should have mittens and scarves made....I could use a new set!! :D

shais_mom
03-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I think there's anothe akita in there!
:eek:
what would you do without her tho?! ;)

SunsetRose
03-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh the joys of having an Akita!

I have an Akita/GSD mix who sheds ALOT as well. When it's shedding season and she's blowing her coat, I can get even more hair off of her than that, it's crazy.

cyber-sibes
03-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey, nice shag carpet! A bit retro, isn't it?
Uh-oh, that's not shag? ;)

Sherman's already blowing coat too. He looks like a milkweed pod gone wild. I'm hoping all this early coat-blowing is a sure sign spring is on it's way! After all, the dogs are only doing their part to provide nice soft bedding material for the birds, aren't they?

How do you get her to stand still? Brushing mine is like trying to hit a moving target!

Kalei
03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Holy Cow! That is alot of fur :eek: Akitas are so pretty, I bet you had a fun time cleaning all that hair up:p

joycenalex
03-10-2007, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=RobiLee]Anyone want an akita? ...why yes, i've long coveted her. i'll be down in about 30 minutes....heading to the car, keys in right hand, sheet and dog seatbelt in left..... :D

Dorothy39
03-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I know what you're dealing with Robin~ When my daughter left her two German Shephards with us, I noticed the ususal "Hair Balls" everywhere!!!

I gave each of them a brush out last week, when the sun was shining!!! Phew!!!! Upon her return, our daughter was soooo glad that I took the time and effort !!

And now, our Jackie is starting to shed her Winter Coat :eek: !!!! :rolleyes:

DrKym
03-10-2007, 07:17 PM
skipping happily ...singing I love my dobies coats...lalalalalalalaa.......

Sorry, I know what you mean though I have had the honor of babysitting a good friends Malamute during his blow.....I think he left a litter of mals behind! :eek: We would check the fur balls for signs of life! :D

Beautiful dogs you have there!

If it is any consolotaion though when our birds do a molt my house looks like a pillow factory exploded :rolleyes:

applesmom
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
skipping happily ...singing I love my dobies coats...lalalalalalalaa.......

Sorry, I know what you mean though I have had the honor of babysitting a good friends Malamute during his blow.....I think he left a litter of mals behind! :eek: We would check the fur balls for signs of life! :D

Beautiful dogs you have there!

If it is any consolotaion though when our birds do a molt my house looks like a pillow factory exploded :rolleyes:

LOL But you have the dobie "splinters" to contend with all year round! :D