PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Must find homes immediately for four cats! UPDATE

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I've posted before about my problems with the City of Denver. Today I learned that I have two weeks to remove five cats from my house, or the city will take the cats away. If that happens, they'll most likely be killed.

I think I have a place where one of the cats can go, but I desparately need to find a home for four others. I'm planning to move to Illinois as soon as I possibly can--hopefully within the next couple of months--but I don't know whether I'll be able to take the cats back after I relocate. So I think I'll have to give them up permanently, and it's breaking my heart.

Does anyone have room in your house and your heart for any of my sweeties? At least if they went to a PT home I would know they were in good hands.

Hagrid: a male longhaired tuxie who will be seven years old this summer. Such a sweetie. He could stand to lose some weight, but he's a real love.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats178.jpg

Bob: It would be wonderful if Bob and Hagrid could stay together. They truly love each other. Bob is also about seven, a medium-haired brown tabby who looks like a Maine Coon mix. He needs dental work, and I'd arrange to pay for that. He's very shy of strangers, but is so gentle and sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats/Cats167.jpg

Katie: She's probably about eight years old, maybe going on nine. Also a longhaired tuxie. She's so affectionate--she likes to lick under my chin. A lovely girl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats/Cats164-1.jpg

Angel: My sweet, shy boy. He'll be six in April. He's not a lap cat, but he loves other kitties. He has a heart murmur but no sign of serious heart problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Pencats/Cats/Cats232.jpg

I'm typing this through tears. I knew that I was over the cat limit, but I never realized that the city would be so vindictive. They're actually treating it as a criminal matter that I have 10 cats!

If anyone can help, please let me know. I don't have much time, and I don't have friends locally who are willing to take any of them in even temporarily.

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now. I hope that you will be able to find either temporary or permanent homes for your babies. I don't have room and I live in KY or I would take one to help you out.
Melissa

Catty1
03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Try posting on Petfinder...and cross post this in Rescue too!

Are there any large pet stores in your state that have adoption programs? Does your vet have any ideas?

HUGS! Prayers coming your way...your babies are beautiful!

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 05:01 PM
what about this shelter? Have you contacted them? Maybe they would have fosters that could watch your cats while you made other arrangements.
Melissa

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
here is another lists of places that you can ask if they take cats or not. I don't know if you have already done this yet or not so if you have I am sorry I am repeating
Melissa

catmandu
03-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Would It Help If Your Vet Sent A Letter Saying That Your Cats Had All Thier Shots And Were Being Well Loved After.
I Am So Sorry For Those Poor Cats And You, I Dont Know What I Would Have Done If The City Had Told Me To Get Rid Of 4 Found Cats.
That Would Have Killed Me.
We Are Praying That You Can Find A Safe Haven For Those Wonderful Cats.i Think That The City Shoud Be Looking After The Neglected Cats Not Cats Who Have A Great Furr Ever Home!!

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm going to start calling various shelters in the morning, but there's not a lot of space available in no-kill shelters around here. Katie and maybe Hagrid might attract some interest from adopters, but Angel and Bob are so skittish that if I have to put them in shelters, they'll probably never leave.

That's why I'm hoping that I can find a miracle here at PT.

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Would It Help If Your Vet Sent A Letter Saying That Your Cats Had All Thier Shots And Were Being Well Loved After.
I Am So Sorry For Those Poor Cats And You, I Dont Know What I Would Have Done If The City Had Told Me To Get Rid Of 4 Found Cats.
That Would Have Killed Me.
We Are Praying That You Can Find A Safe Haven For Those Wonderful Cats.i Think That The City Shoud Be Looking After The Neglected Cats Not Cats Who Have A Great Furr Ever Home!!

Nothing will help, I'm afraid. The city is entirely inflexible about this. They even told me that jail is a possible penalty for animal control violations. They won't even give me a couple of months to leave town with the cats. And I can't even bring myself to think about the neighborhood feral cats--the city plans to loan a trap to my evil neighbors and then kill any cats they trap.

I'm entirely soured on Denver as a place for pet lovers to live. I'm going to have to ask Karen to change my PT name once I'm out of here.

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
How would you get one of your cats to a person if they wanted to help out? Two weeks is a very short amount of time to arrange that kind of thing. I just feel so bad for you. It si funny that you should say Angel wouldn't leave a shelter. Out of your pics that is the one that caught my eye the most.
good luck with the shelters
Melissa

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 05:46 PM
how about contacting the mayor or some other city official and explain the situation and that you will be moviing and taking your cats with you etc. Maybe that would help. I googled it and found this page. One elected offical has her picture with her cat and dog. I would think she would be sympathic to your situation and might know how to help you.
http://www.denvergov.org/ElectedOfficials/tabid/37896/Default.aspx?skintab=Elected%20Officials
Melissa

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
How would you get one of your cats to a person if they wanted to help out? Two weeks is a very short amount of time to arrange that kind of thing. I just feel so bad for you. It si funny that you should say Angel wouldn't leave a shelter. Out of your pics that is the one that caught my eye the most.
good luck with the shelters
Melissa

I'd rent a car and drive them where they needed to go. If I can find a home for them, I'll find a way to get them there.

Freedom
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I wish I were closer to you. What a difficult situation! And how did you ever decide WHICH ones to put up for adoption? Best of luck.

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
how about contacting the mayor or some other city official and explain the situation and that you will be moviing and taking your cats with you etc. Maybe that would help.
Melissa

I've had animal rescue people speaking to city officials on my behalf, but it hasn't done any good. I've tried to get a message through to the head of Animal Control, and I'll try again Monday, but underlings intercept the messages and won't forward them.

At this point, I'm worried that if I antagonize the Animal Control people too much, they'll find an excuse to remove all of my cats. As it is, they're making up the rules as they go along--the ordinance that I was ordered to comply with doesn't have anything to do with indoor cats, and they're insisting that they can perform a warrantless search of my house in connection with a criminal matter, which is blatantly unconstitutional. But I'm nobody with no political leverage, so I don't have many options.

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I wish I were closer to you. What a difficult situation! And how did you ever decide WHICH ones to put up for adoption? Best of luck.

It's a horrible decision. I'm keeping the ones whom I think need me the most. But it will just about kill me to let these four go.

doolittleky
03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
what if you got a lawyer? seems to me animal control isn't floowoing the rules but breaking them and threatening you and itimatidating you in the meantime.
Melissa

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 06:11 PM
what if you got a lawyer? seems to me animal control isn't floowoing the rules but breaking them and threatening you and itimatidating you in the meantime.
Melissa

I'm planning to see whether I can find a lawyer who knows anything about how the city operates in this regard (I'm a non-practicing lawyer myself, but I don't know the ropes regarding city enforcement). Several of my friends are lawyers, but they don't practice in this area and don't know what I might do.

jenluckenbach
03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
OMG!!!! I wish I had a miracle for you. :( This has to be the most horrible situation EVER!!! I am not even close enough to you to know anyone who could help. :( I doubt you could get one to PA. I would take Angel in a heartbeat.
Even though it is a longshot, try Best Friends. Try your vet, try ALL vets!! Ask EVERY rescue group your can find. SOMEONE will be out there for them.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll post a separate thread about this as well, but if there's any way we can line up a transport between Denver and Allentown, PA, then Jen (bless you, Jen!) would be willing to add Angel to her foster room.

Anyone in Illinois? Ohio?

Catty1
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Why not contact the rep DIRECTLY - the link Doolittlekitty posted? The personal contact will be more effective, I think, even though the Animal Rescue does their best. YOU are the cat's OWNER (yes, I know who really owns who! :) )

And do your lawyer friends not know ANYONE who practices in the area you need?

Would the vet know? Shelters?

Just trying to think of ways to buy you time!

HUGS!

Lizzie
03-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a bedroom where they can live until you can take them or we can find them other homes. However, I don't have the money to take care of them. I have a number of special needs cats and I'm about to dash out to the vet even now with one of them. Can you afford to cargo fly them to Seattle and help with their upkeep? I'm sorry that is all I can offer.

Pembroke_Corgi
03-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I just saw this...we rent and I don't think the landlord will let us have any more pets- plus we don't really have the room. However, I can help with some of the driving if you want from Denver, or I would be willing to donate some money if someone is willing to take the cats by having them flown in. If I can help you in any way, pm me and I'll give you my phone number. I'm sorry I can't take one of your cats, I know having to give them up is probably heart-breaking... :( I might be able to "house" one for a little while until someone can take them if they are ok with dogs. Let me know.

Prairie Purrs
03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
You folks are really wonderful. As of now, there's a possibility (thanks to Jadapit) that I'll be able to locate someone around Denver who can take them temporarily. If not, Dr. Goodnow has generously offered to look after them for awhile, as I'm planning to relocate to a town not far away from where she lives. So it looks like I'll be able to keep my sweeties out of the shelter and be able to reclaim them after I get out of Denver.

Pet Talkers are truly the best! Thank you all!

Lizzie
03-09-2007, 09:41 PM
That's wonderful news. You must be extremely relieved.

Can anything be done to help the ferals that you were feeding? How many are there?

smokey the elder
03-10-2007, 08:13 AM
There aren't enough criminals in Denver, that they want to make you one!? What a stoopid rule.

CathyBogart
03-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm so sorry this is happening. :( After the way Denver rounded up and slaughtered the pit bulls, I'm not surprised....it's just not a pet-friendly place. :( I'm so glad you're getting some PT help for your little ones.

rg_girlca
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Do these people have nothing better to do!!!!

I have LES here just thinking about how hard this must be for you. I can't even imagine what you must be going through.

Thank you Jen, Jadapit and Dr, Goodnow for offering to help CatsinDenver in such a horrible situation.

Please keep us posted.

mrspunkysmom
03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Found these links. Maybe you have already been to these links, but I didn't see anything about limits on numbers of pets or outdoor enclosures.

Animal Law Info (http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscooddenver_louisville.htm#denver)

Denver dot Gov Animal Control (http://www.denvergov.org/AnimalControl/HomePage/tabid/377818/Default.aspx)

Lakewood dot Org (http://www.lakewood.org/index.cfm?&include=/PD/animalcontrol.cfm)

DrKym
03-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Do these people have nothing better to do!!!!

I have LES here just thinking about how hard this must be for you. I can't even imagine what you must be going through.

Thank you Jen, Jadapit and Dr, Goodnow for offering to help CatsinDenver in such a horrible situation.

Please keep us posted.

Donna (jadapit ) is an amazing lady, and for myself it is the least we can do for a new neighbor!

I hope everything settles down soon for Penny, she seems to be a very sweet person.

Prairie Purrs
03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Donna (jadapit ) is an amazing lady, and for myself it is the least we can do for a new neighbor!

I hope everything settles down soon for Penny, she seems to be a very sweet person.

Awww, thanks! :D

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the efforts y'all are making for me. These cats mean the world to me. All but one of them have been with me since they were kittens. I couldn't cope with surrendering them to a shelter. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!

DrKym
03-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Don't be silly! This is what friends and PT are all about!

So many wonderful people here have helped us in the past, I am honored to help out with your babies! I am certain they will be happily awaiting their wonderful Moms' move out here!

Plus we get a chance to spoil them a bit to give them a happy welcome to Illinois!

We are always that phone call away, and ready whenever you need us!

kimlovescats
03-10-2007, 11:04 PM
What a wonderful solution!!! Your kitties will be buddies with Jupiter! :D

mrspunkysmom
03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
If you will follow the links that I posted, you will see that there are no limitations on number of animals that you may keep or on outdoor enclosures. One of the links is Denver's own Animal Control Website.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is frustrating to say the least when fighting government that is out of control.

Catty1
03-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I think a lawyer would find those links very interesting - please, CID, can you get something happening with that while finding foster places for your babies?

HUGS!

Prairie Purrs
03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
If you will follow the links that I posted, you will see that there are no limitations on number of animals that you may keep or on outdoor enclosures. One of the links is Denver's own Animal Control Website.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is frustrating to say the least when fighting government that is out of control.

I believe that the limit on number of cats is buried somewhere in the zoning code rather than in the Animal Control code. There's definitely a five-cat limit, unfortunately. And if you feed ferals or strays, even if they never come in your house, the city treats them as "your" cats for purposes of the limit.

Prairie Purrs
03-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I think a lawyer would find those links very interesting - please, CID, can you get something happening with that while finding foster places for your babies?

HUGS!

I'm going to call the local bar association tomorrow to see whether they can recommend anyone who has experience dealing with the city on these sorts of things. I know from my own past experience as a lawyer dealing with officials in other cities that city bureaucrats do pretty much whatever they want, knowing that most of the time their target won't want to spend a ton of money to bring a court action (or won't have a ton of money to spend).

doolittleky
03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I googled zoning lawyers in Denver and here is a whole list of them.
I would try and call one of them and see what they said
Melissa

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/Land-Use-&-Zoning/Denver/Colorado

ramanth
03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
CID, my heart breaks for you. Being in an apartment, I'm at my limit, but I can offer my services in the way of a transport if any of them were to come through MI, or in the way of a donation to fly them to a temp or permanent home. *HUGS*

emily_the_spoiled
03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
If you are looking for a lawyer you might want to try contacting the law school. Most law schools will have a "free" or reduced price law clinic where the students do the work and the faculty supervise. They might be interested in taking on this case because it is a little different and a local matter.

Prairie Purrs
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
If you are looking for a lawyer you might want to try contacting the law school. Most law schools will have a "free" or reduced price law clinic where the students do the work and the faculty supervise. They might be interested in taking on this case because it is a little different and a local matter.

Sadly, this isn't really something that law students (or faculty, for that matter) are well-equipped to handle. I know that because I used to teach law students. :) It's a situation where I need to find a "connected" lawyer who knows which city doors to knock on--or how to get an injunction quickly if it really comes to that. I'm working on finding someone.

rg_girlca
03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Good luck CID. I hope that you are able to find someone to help you with this terrible situation.
Prayers still on the way for you and your babies.

DrKym
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Penny contacted me this AM and she will be bringing here kids here this Saturday for me to babysit, while she gets her other things taken care of, they are welcome to stay as she needs them to.

I am praying that with this one stress off her, things will go smoothly from here! :)

jenluckenbach
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
A load off of everyone's mind. Thank heavens. :)

Prairie Purrs
03-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Penny contacted me this AM and she will be bringing here kids here this Saturday for me to babysit, while she gets her other things taken care of, they are welcome to stay as she needs them to.

I am praying that with this one stress off her, things will go smoothly from here! :)

And I am soooooo very grateful for your help! You are literally a lifesaver!

catfamily
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Does this mean that all 4 are going to Dr.Goodnow's house?I hope?
I know Mike wouldn't say no if you showed up at our door but other than that....NO way for here.
Only if you were at the door with the 4.LOL
But I'm way in Maine and we already have so many but I hate THIS situation.These (YOUR)cats are so clean and healthy and happy looking.This is sad!WAY to sad.

DrKym
03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes all 4 will be babysat here till their mommy arrives here! :)

catfamily
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes all 4 will be babysat here till their mommy arrives here! :)
YOU ARE AWSOME!!!!!!!I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Donnaj4962
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
What a great ending to what could have been a horrible situation!

Dr. Goodnow..... YOU ARE AWESOME!

Have a safe trip Penny and all furbabies!

jazzcat
03-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow Dr. Goodnow you are earning some gold stars! That is terrific of you.

CID - I'm so sorry all this is happening but so thankful it is working out so well. Be safe on your trip with your babies.

DrKym
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Thank you all, but it really isn't that big of a deal! LOL we have the room and Penny is moving just up the road! So it was logical to relocate the furkids while their Mom gets everything else in order :p

jenluckenbach
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Thank you all, but it really isn't that big of a deal! LOL we have the room and Penny is moving just up the road! So it was logical to relocate the furkids while their Mom gets everything else in order :p
Even for those that don't believe, I think you will agree that ths was God's plan. After all, what are the odds that CID would be moving so close to another PT'er (one with spare room ,and hearts as large as the universe)?

cassiesmom
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
catsindenver -- where in Illinois do you expect to land, and do you know approximately when?

Oops, never mind, I obviously didn't read what Dr. G. already wrote:

Penny contacted me this AM and she will be bringing her kids here this Saturday for me to babysit, while she gets her other things taken care of, they are welcome to stay as she needs them to.

Drs. G., if you need extra food or treats, will you please give a shout?

Catty1
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I hope someone with a good heart - maybe one of the zoning lawyers - can help with the feral colony?

OR - go to the media AFTER you move! LOL Good luck moving!

DrKym
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Even for those that don't believe, I think you will agree that ths was God's plan. After all, what are the odds that CID would be moving so close to another PT'er (one with spare room ,and hearts as large as the universe)?

Now Jen if that was meant to make us blush it worked! ;)
I think Lucas had a hand in it along with Garys Angel squad!

Prairie Purrs
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
catsindenver -- where in Illinois do you expect to land, and do you know approximately when?

I'm looking at places in and around a small town south of Springfield. It's where I grew up and where my parents and sister still live. :) As for when, as soon as I can find a house. Within the next couple of months, I hope.

rg_girlca
03-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Dr. Goodnow, you are like a breath of fresh air my dear.
How very kind of you to be able to take in CID's precious babies for her until she is able to move there and how lucky that CID will be able to meet her Guardian Angel. :)

This is such great news to a terrible situation.

ramanth
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Dr. Goodnow, you are an angel!!! :D

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, another zoning officer showed up at my door yesterday and wanted to do an inspection. She appeared to agree to the same two-week period that Animal Control gave me. But then she called my landlord and told him that the city has me "profiled" as a literal crazy cat lady--a middle-aged, psychologically disturbed female with dozens of cats.

She also told him--and here's the terrifying part--that when they finally get into my house, they plan to count the cats by putting them in cages--and then they'll take them away! Apparently it doesn't matter if I only have five. They're actively planning to remove all of my cats.

I'll be taking four to Dr. Goodnow this weekend. But now, it seems, I need to find places for the remaining five. I can't risk having them in the house as long as the city is running beserk.

I'm also going to work on filing a federal discrimination action, but right now I'm frantic with worry. So I guess I'm back to begging for more foster homes, both here (the only place I've found any help--thank you!) and among my other friends.

jenluckenbach
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Totally TOTALLY unbelievable!!! :mad: :mad:

PA is still a long way from Illinois, but maybe we can still coordinate a transport from there.

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM

PA is still a long way from Illinois, but maybe we can still coordinate a transport from there.

Bless you, Jen! I'll see whether I can work something out.

I'm also going to look into boarding two or three for a month, but I know I can't afford to board them all.

Cinder & Smoke
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Well, another zoning officer showed up ... to do an inspection.

Then she called my landlord and told him that the city has me "profiled" as a literal crazy cat lady --
a middle-aged, psychologically disturbed female with dozens of cats.

She also told him ... they plan to count the cats by putting them in cages -
and then they'll take them away!

I think you need to talk to an ATTORNEY - NOW!
I find it hard to believe that a couple of "Inspectors" can label you a "disturbed female"
and order your cats to be removed - without any legal hearings.

/s/ Phred

Catty1
03-13-2007, 04:26 PM
OMG - please get a lawyer and at least stay the action!

Sheesh...do they want a note from your doctor as well???

How is your landlord with you? Would he testify on your behalf?

HUGS!!!!

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I think you need to talk to an ATTORNEY - NOW!
I find it hard to believe that a couple of "Inspectors" can label you a "disturbed female"
and order your cats to be removed - without any legal hearings.

/s/ Phred

Step one is to make sure the cats are safe. That's in the works right now.

Step two is to get some guidance on procedural issues and get a complaint and motion for an injunction drafted. I've never been a litigator, but I've had enough of a law school education to be able to smell a cause of action.

rg_girlca
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Why the same "H" are they being so mean about this. And what RIGHT do they have to deem you a "Psychologically disturbed female." :mad:

I don't understand this at all, at all. If the law says that you ARE allowed to have 5 animals and you are going to be placing the other 4, then why are they threatening to take away ALL of them.

This situation is going from terrible to worse. :(

Big time Prayers on the way that this can all be resolved very shortly.

catfamily
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Is there room in your car even to make 2 or 3 trips tonight to get the cats out and put somewhere safe tonight.Or tomorrow
Work a few rides for the next 2 days to get them OUT.These people are HEARTLESS!!!!!
I'm FREAKING out!!!!

catfamily
03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
My husband just said noone can just come into your home and touch your cats unless you are tricked into it.
Don't let them trick you!!
Especially by saying all they are doing is counting...they will
run out the door with them and in court say you let them do it.
But get the cats out as soon as you can.I hope you can get them out within a day or 2.

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Is there room in your car even to make 2 or 3 trips tonight to get the cats out and put somewhere safe tonight.Or tomorrow
Work a few rides for the next 2 days to get them OUT.These people are HEARTLESS!!!!!
I'm FREAKING out!!!!

I don't have a car. :( Or anyplace right now to take them. I think (hope) the city will stay away until Friday the 23rd--my next court date. I'm hoping to have them all placed by this Friday, but it's not settled yet.

jenluckenbach
03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Now here is a long-shot (considering how families are) but if you are eventually moving to Illinois to be near family, and you are driving to Illinois to deliver cats to Dr. Goodnow, can't your family members temporarily foster a cat or two each??

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
My husband just said noone can just come into your home and touch your cats unless you are tricked into it.
Don't let them trick you!!
Especially by saying all they are doing is counting...they will
run out the door with them and in court say you let them do it.
But get the cats out as soon as you can.I hope you can get them out within a day or 2.

I keep telling them that they need a search warrant to come in. They keep telling me that they'll come back with the health department and the police to do an "emergency health inspection." Then they'd find some excuse to declare an emergency and remove the cats. After all, they're assuming that I'm a crazy person who won't be able to fight back.

catfamily
03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I still wouldn't let them in but just in case...make sure your home is spotless!!
they shouldn't have any reason then to take them.
also make sure there is visible water bowls everywhere for anyone at the door to see and clean floors with dry food in a couple bowls.more water bowls though.i think anyway.my opinion
if it's hard to do all this tonight try to get a friend to help you clean.i'm not saying it's not clean but anything will give them an excuse.anything.especially those type people who don't care about cats and that your doing your job in caring for them.

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Now here is a long-shot (considering how families are) but if you are eventually moving to Illinois to be near family, and you are driving to Illinois to deliver cats to Dr. Goodnow, can't your family members temporarily foster a cat or two each??

I'm going to ask them tonight, but my mother has lung problems and may not be able to have a cat around. She doesn't much like cats, either. :(

Catty1
03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Hope that your mom can keep them in a separate room.

If nothing else, do a quick clean with something like PineSol - the SMELL convinces someone it is clean - "it smells so clean"!

Can you apply for a restraining order, or can a lawyer?

HUGS!

I guess the police won't do anything? Unless you find a cat lover there...

AvaJoy
03-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Gosh, I wish I could help . . . what an intolerable situation, and Denver sounds like a most UN-friendly cat city. :mad:

If you have friends that could take the cats temporarily, that would be one way around it, eh?! ;) Just long enough so that when the inspectors come and see that you have relinquished the required number of cats, they will be satisfied and leave you alone. Then, you can bring the loaned out kitties back home . . . sounds like a plan to me.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you can keep ALL of your children. What an agonizing task to have to pick and choose. :( A loving home is not easy to come by for so many cats out there . . . poor babies.

jennielynn1970
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM

I second that one. I'm here close to Jen if you need me and some space for kitties! :D

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I second that one. I'm here close to Jen if you need me and some space for kitties! :D

Thank you both!

I've made arrangements for three so far (in addition to the four I'll be taking to Dr. Goodnow)--just two more!

mrspunkysmom
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Would your vet keep them for a few days until you could get the cats out of town?

I did find the 5 cat max in the zoning codes.

Do you think someone made a complaint in your neighborhood?

God speed.

Taz_Zoee
03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh no!! I am just reading this thread...:( I can't believe these people are doing this!!! I'm so angry I don't even know what to say.
I just hope PT can pull through this....like we always do......and help, in time.
It's just ridiculous!!!
Way to go Kym, Jen and Jenn!! And anyone else that can help out. :D :D
And good luck to you CatsinDenver with the stuff (I'd like to use another word here, but it is a family site) going on there with the city. :mad:

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Do you think someone made a complaint in your neighborhood?

A neighbor complained about the feral cats, and they zeroed in on me because I was providing food and shelter for the ferals--while working with a local organization to schedule TNR. But the neighbor doesn't want TNR--she wants the ferals eliminated. And she'll probably get her wish. :(

So once I was on the city's radar, they decided that I fit the deranged cat horder profile. And here we are.

Catty1
03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I would guess the local TNR org is aware of all the problems.

Can they not go to the city and say they are working with the cats - even to prevent the neighbour from getting her way?

SOME PEOPLE - I JUST DON'T GET IT!

TNR has been REALLY successful some places. I wish the city had some information about that!

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I would guess the local TNR org is aware of all the problems.

Can they not go to the city and say they are working with the cats - even to prevent the neighbour from getting her way?

SOME PEOPLE - I JUST DON'T GET IT!

TNR has been REALLY successful some places. I wish the city had some information about that!

The TNR people tried talking to the city officials, but with no success at all.

Here's the Catch 22: in order to get a mobile TNR unit to come out to trap and neuter a feral colony, the organization that provides the TNR service requires that the colony contain at least 10 cats and have a caretaker providing food and water. However, it's illegal for anybody in Denver to act as a caretaker for 10 feral cats. I suppose if two neighbors (who had no cats of their own) both provided food, it might be possible, but the city would probably claim that each neighbor was "harboring" all 10 cats. In other words, the city considers caretaking of feral colonies to be a criminal act.

Catty1
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Holy cow....when all gets settled, a nice phone call to your member of Congress might be in order, or your state rep. That is beyond insane...

krazyaboutkatz
03-14-2007, 12:27 AM
I sure hope that everything will work out for you. You'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

I know that I'll never ever live in Denver.:mad:

shais_mom
03-14-2007, 12:40 AM
wow craziness -
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

catfamily
03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Only 2 cats to place and they are giving you THIS much problem?What A*******
I know they don't know about the others being placed but still.
Anyway...they CANNOT!!!!Absolutly cannot Go into your home without breaking down your door!!!!
That's how I feel anyway!
Emergency health inspection?for what?under 10 cats?(That are promised to be gone soon?) Idiots...real idiots these people. :mad:
I'd take the 2 left but I'm in Maine.I have NO money for any kind of transport.(Even car gas right now...it's been a tough 2 months).We are waiting for a check to come in just to get 2 to a vet for something minor.Nothing major or they'd be there and we'd be billed.

DrKym
03-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Well after talking for hours with Penny, (amazing lady and great fun to talk with) we have decided that all 6 cats will be staying here with me until she moves out to Illinois in few months.

6 isnt all that much extra than 4 and it makes sense. Her boy will be neutered on thursday and the Momma and her 6 furkids will be arriving Saturday. She has graciously accept my offer of bed and breakfast, that way she can help settle her guys in and I will have hands on teaching of who needs/likes what.

So we will of course update you as soon she arrives from her long drive with plenty of new pics, and many smiles I am sure!

Prairie Purrs
03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Well after talking for hours with Penny, (amazing lady and great fun to talk with) we have decided that all 6 cats will be staying here with me until she moves out to Illinois in few months.

6 isnt all that much extra than 4 and it makes sense. Her boy will be neutered on thursday and the Momma and her 6 furkids will be arriving Saturday. She has graciously accept my offer of bed and breakfast, that way she can help settle her guys in and I will have hands on teaching of who needs/likes what.

So we will of course update you as soon she arrives from her long drive with plenty of new pics, and many smiles I am sure!

I am more grateful than I can even put into words. Once I move to Illinois, I am totally at your beck and call if you need critter sitting or anything at all! :D

DrKym
03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
HEHE hmmmm critter sitting??? *faints* that would mean I would be able to GO somewhere.............................nah the thought is too alien ..........my head it is exploding!! :p

Can't wait til Saturday!

catfamily
03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
That's great.And it does make sense when they are moving so close to you.Less travel for the cats and less stress on them.And they all get to stay with each other.Thank God.
And Thank You both for caring so very much and just being the humans that we are supose to be.
Caring and ready to help without to much thought.Your the kind of people that we need everywhere to make this planet a better planet.
A BIG THANK YOU!!

NoahsMommy
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
As I'm in this position as well, I'm constantly amazed at how our world is fulled with truly horrible people, until we come to a world called, Pet Talk. The people here have saintly qualities and become instant best friends.

God has blessed us ALL with Pet Talk...I've continually been benefited countless times - and now so have my 3 that so severely needed placement for a while.

THANK YOU to Dr. Goodnow for helping the Cats In Denver....you are truly an angel.

Love and Hugs to you all,
Kelly :)

jenluckenbach
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Such great news!!! :) Yeah, what is 6 when you were already taking 4. (LOL)

So who will be caring for the other 4?? (if I may ask)

catfamily
03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I forgot about the other 4 because we were all so excited about the 6.lol :)
I hope their OK as well.

Prairie Purrs
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Such great news!!! :) Yeah, what is 6 when you were already taking 4. (LOL)

So who will be caring for the other 4?? (if I may ask)

One (Oz) has already been rehomed (permanently). The big fella really needed to be an only cat. :(

I'll be boarding Lily for at least a couple of weeks. I wanted to keep her nearby because she had extensive dental work done not long ago, and she may need a follow-up visit to the vet.

Kacey and Kiri will be staying with a friend who lives not too far from here. Kiri may need to see the vet again as well, and she and Kacey are best friends.

doolittleky
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
That is so unbelievable that they are doing that to you. I hope you can find a good lawyer soon. I would be a basket case if someone was doing that to me and my cats. Please keep us updated. I am so worried about you and your babies. I would be scared to leave the house without them.
Melissa

phesina
03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
God bless the good Dr. Goodnow for coming through once again.. you and your family should be canonized, Dr. G.!

Here I'd always had the idea that Denver was a progressive, modern, sophisticated city. I'm flabbergasted to find that the people that run the place are so UN-enlightened. That's shocking.

A few phone calls, letters, e-mails, what-have-you, to attorneys and the city and state officials and elected representatives, plus perhaps a few newspaper and TV people, are certainly called for.. once you get all the cats and yourself settled.

I think I will contact the tourism offices in Denver and Colorado and let them know that because of their barbaric policies for dealing with stray (and owned too!) cats, I will never ever set foot in their city or state and I will do my best to discourage anyone else I can from doing so also.

I went to a seminar on working with feral cats a few months ago. These idiots that think killing them is the way to solve the problem are not only NOT solving it that way, they're just opening up the territory for new ferals to move into and reproduce.

Best wishes with your move, Penny!

Prayers and good wishes for you and your cats from us all.

Pat, Poppy, Priscilla, Peony, Elmer, and Sydney

rg_girlca
03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Dr. Goodnow, you are truely an Angel sent from heaven. Thank you again for helping CID out of such a terrible ordeal.

I can't believe the way they are treating you CID. :mad:

I'll be so happy to hear when you are out of there, back in Illinois and have all your babies back in your arms where they belong. :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
CID, I'm so glad to hear that your horrible situation will now have a happy ending.:) Dr Goodnow is an angel for doing this. Aren't PT's wonderful?:)

Prairie Purrs
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
This week, I'm focused on getting the kitties where they need to be. Next week, I'll be putting my legal research skills to use and deciding whether I've got a strong enough case to interest a civil rights attorney. And I'll be working on the long-distance house-hunt.

After I've got my own situation settled, I'll do whatever I can to shine some light on the city's barbaric attitude toward feral cats and their management. The fact that the city makes it impossible for a resident to be a feral caretaker might be enough to catch the attention of someone or some organization with enough power to raise a stink.

And I second the nomination of Dr. Goodnow and family for sainthood. :D

kimlovescats
03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, 6 coming on Saturday and Jasper on Sunday!!! :eek: Thank you for helping out so many.

jenluckenbach
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow, 6 coming on Saturday and Jasper on Sunday!!! :eek: Thank you for helping out so many.
I am sorry to report that there will be NO room for Jupiter. He will HAVE to detour to PA! (HEE HEE HEE)

DrKym
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I am sorry to report that there will be NO room for Jupiter. He will HAVE to detour to PA! (HEE HEE HEE)
:eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! there is room!!!! I sold my husband so there is room!!!

jenluckenbach
03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I sold my husband so there is room!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif BREATHE http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/laughingsmilie.gif

Trinityagain
03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I just read all the way thru...and once again, I have to say that PT people are the absolute best of the best! Good luck to everyone!

And I third(?) that Sainthood recommendation....