PDA

View Full Version : Therapy Dog Beheaded

crow_noir
03-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I didn't know where to put this. It was such horrid news...

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_066202702.html

Mar 7, 2007 7:26 pm US/Central

Therapy Dog Beheaded, Family Devastated

Lisa Kiava Reporting

(WCCO) A St. Paul family is both heartbroken and terrified tonight after their dog was killed.

St. Paul Police say someone cut off the dog's head and wrapped it in a box for the family to find.

The case is especially devastating because the Australian Shepherd was a special therapy dog owned by a 17-year-old girl.

"Nobody had seen the dog," said Bobbi Brown, mother of the dog's owner.

The family hung up missing posters throughout their St. Paul neighborhood. They frantically searched for their beloved pet, Chevy.

"When she got the package, that's how we found out," said Bobbi.

Left at the steps, a package in Christmas wrapping paper, addressed to 17-year-old Crystal Brown. She opened it.

"She was just hysterical. She was screaming, she said 'Grandma, it's my dog's head.' I said no it can't be... and it was the dog's head," said Shirley Brown, Crystal's Grandmother.

"I had to ask my grandma five different times, 'Is that my dog?'" said Crystal. "I didn't believe her."

Bobbi still sobs, recalling that day two weeks ago.

"They had the box outside on the stairs and his head was in there," she said.

The family said they were disappointed with how St. Paul police responded. They said officers didn't collect evidence, but told them to throw everything away. They also accuse two officers of laughing.

"And to sit and laugh and the dog's head is right in front of you at your feet ... give me a break ... so I reported them the next day," said Shirley.

A spokesman for St. Paul Police said he can't talk about the initial officers' response because that's an internal investigation now.

Crystal has a new therapy dog, a gift from her grandmother, but only an arrest will ease the family's mind.

"That is so cruel," said Bobbi. "I miss him."

The dog's body was discovered in a park. The family believes the suspect is someone they know.

St. Paul Homicide officers are investigating the case now, not because the dog was killed but because they consider what happened a high-level threat against the family.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

DrKym
03-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Not much horrifies me anymore, this did.
I am at a loss of words to say. The anguish and terror that family must feel is beyond comprehension.

My heartbreaks for them all.

wombat2u2004
03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Not much horrifies me anymore, this did.
I am at a loss of words to say. The anguish and terror that family must feel is beyond comprehension.

My heartbreaks for them all.

This sort of thing is becoming commonplace now....not only with pets, but with humans to.
A 78 year old guy was found beheaded some 5 weeks ago here, only a few streets from where I live. The police still have no clue as to motive or suspect/s.
This world is getting worse. I think old wombat might dig a burrow and never come back out.
Wombat

cocker_luva
03-09-2007, 04:04 AM
it is a huge offense! ask any humane society officer, if someone will abuse an animal, they'll abuse a human!

IRescue452
03-09-2007, 05:39 AM
I think I'd be traumatized for life. If it were me I'd probably move the heck away from there and board myself in my house for life. I can't believe some sicko would do that.

elizabethann
03-09-2007, 05:59 AM
May whoever did that rot in hell.

I hate those police officers who laughed. Remind me never to go to St. Paul's and spend my hard earned money on their local economy. Those cops should have to take a sensitivity class or something.

Pawsitive Thinking
03-09-2007, 06:02 AM
OMG! that is horrific......

Friends of mine found their little Yorkie impaled on their fence once :( that was done by people they knew although it could never be proven

wombat2u2004
03-09-2007, 06:16 AM
OMG! that is horrific......

Friends of mine found their little Yorkie impaled on their fence once :( that was done by people they knew although it could never be proven

Yeah, but that's just it, isn't t it ??? It was done by someone who knew them. That's the first thing that struck me with the first post. There is a lot of hate behind that action....people who do that, then send it to the owner, must KNOW who the owner is and probably know how it would affect them.
It is a very malicious thing to do, the perpetrator must really have it in for that poor girl and her family. I don't think the police would have needed to look very far to find out who done it.....but as with most police these days, they simply don't care....they are more bothered booking someone for a minor traffic offence.
Wombat

critter crazy
03-09-2007, 06:22 AM
OMG!!!! I am at a loss for words......I just dont know what to say!:mad:

cyber-sibes
03-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Horrifying! :eek: What a sick, sick, person.
As if that weren't enough, how could the police react like that, at such a traumatic event?
LES, that poor family, I'm at a loss for words.

ramanth
03-09-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't even know where to begin..... :( :mad:

mike001
03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm sitting here totally dumbfounded. We've had our share of bad kids setting cats on fire and the likes, but at least the police took it seriously and found the guilty parties. Never nothing like this though.
I don't understand the police's attitude. Out here harming a service dog is a pretty serious offence, something as gruesome as this would never be ignored. SD or not this would have the police working double time. I really feel sorry for the 17 yr old, how traumatic.

Marigold2
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I hope that when this monster is tried and convicted he will be sentenced for the death of a service dog which I hope is like a police dog which is considered an officer. 20 years not one second less. I hope everyone understands what I meant here. I also agree with Wombat, this is someone who knows this family and wanted to hurt them. I think that the poor dog was simply a prop in the hurting. I would be very concerned for the safety of that family and take the proper steps to protect myself.

Catty1
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey, I think the two officers that laughed got reported, and rightly so. Seems they might have cops on the job now that are taking it more seriously.

I hope they catch the b******!!!! :mad:

I hope that poor girl and her family are ok.

Lobodeb
03-09-2007, 04:16 PM
LES.....speechless. :( :( :( :(

crow_noir
03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
That is so awful too!!! *hugs* for your friends

crow_noir
03-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Part of me wonders if those officers knew the person(s) who did that cruel act.

I hate those police officers who laughed. Remind me never to go to St. Paul's and spend my hard earned money on their local economy. Those cops should have to take a sensitivity class or something.

Husky15
03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow. I just don't know what to say. I am completely speechless. This is so awful. What kind of heartless person... :mad:

Taz_Zoee
03-10-2007, 01:34 AM
:( I don't even know what to say.....and can hardly see my screen through the tears in my eyes.
I hope they find who did this so it will not happen to her new puppy as well.
:(

Sophist
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Part of me wonders if those officers knew the person(s) who did that cruel act.

Got you a present...

http://www.gamepolitics.com/images/tinfoil-hat.jpg

sammy101
03-10-2007, 08:17 PM
:eek: :eek: :(
I'm speechless! I've never heard of anything this horrible

crow_noir
03-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Wow... I've had to take a deep breather. More than once this "friend" has upset me through one thing or another.

I'll tell him something, but he won't believe it until someone else tells him. I've never been wrong in these things. (He's finally starting to come to me for follow-up information... after YEARS. I just wish he'd at least apologize once.)

Tonight I was telling him about this story as he loves animals too.

I got to the part about the cops and he "pfft"ed. I thought like everyone else he thought their behavior was in the very least... uncalled for. No he responds back with the serious reply of "Cops would NEVER do that." In my head: "OMFingG, are you SERIOUS?!" I'm soooo glad S.O. was there to witness this from "friend." S.O. even said something back. "Friend" just sort of rolled his eyes.

Oh yeah, and there have never been cases of cops raping people or of cops turning a woman back to her abusive husband so that the abusive husband can punish her fro trying to tell on him. Yeah... All cops are such sweet innocent angels who never do any wrong! Oh, and they don't speed with their lights off either.

Sorry about this rant, but this "friend" just pushed all the wrong buttons tonight and this was the last straw. I have to vent and S.O. is already in bed. I'm sorry but if he thinks all cops care about the safety of animals he's delusional. Besides... this is also a matter of the family's safety.

I'm not saying all cops are bad and on power trips. There are just a few bad apples out there and this "friend" won't ever choose to believe it. It's as if he's taking it as a personal attack on his brother or something. (His brother is a cop.) It's not like the bad stuff is never on the news!

Again, sorry for the rant. This story already has me worked into a frenzy. I didn't need that... that... that... ignorance tonight.

P.S. He actually asked me where I got my info from. I said a news article... he had the gaul to actually say "I DOUBT that." Me: Ummm... it was from a real newspaper. Him: Ok, sure it was. I really doubt real cops would have acted like that. Are you sure it wasn't a tabloid? --- Grrrrr :mad:

What is with people?! And we wonder how people can get away with this stuff. I can see why! People plain simply won't believe this stuff goes on.

Sophist
03-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Crow Noir---

On the flip side, one person's accusation doesn't mean it DID happen. Again, it's not like people have never accused the police of things that weren't true. And when one is frantic and upset and feeling helpless, it is easy to misinterpret things over the phone.

Yeah, there are a few bad apples. But that doesn't mean every time a cop is accused of something, they've actually done it.

I mean, your gut reaction was that the cops were somehow in cahoots or covering for the dog-killers, from what you've said here. Cops and their families end up dealing with a whole heck of a lot of people who tend to think the worst of cops, and if you are making that leap, it would be harder to take your word on the laughing part.

And finally, the news reports I have seen don't technically say that the cops laughed, they just quote the person's accusation. And even if they had, well, the fine members of the media are every bit as fallible as cops are.

crow_noir
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
A fine point you make while playing Devil's Advocate.

I was just quite enraged with "friend"'s continuing... argumentativeness on the topic.

Personally i work with a fine bunch of Public Safety Officers (a.k.a. police.)

Crow Noir---

On the flip side, one person's accusation doesn't mean it DID happen. Again, it's not like people have never accused the police of things that weren't true. And when one is frantic and upset and feeling helpless, it is easy to misinterpret things over the phone.

Yeah, there are a few bad apples. But that doesn't mean every time a cop is accused of something, they've actually done it.

I mean, your gut reaction was that the cops were somehow in cahoots or covering for the dog-killers, from what you've said here. Cops and their families end up dealing with a whole heck of a lot of people who tend to think the worst of cops, and if you are making that leap, it would be harder to take your word on the laughing part.

And finally, the news reports I have seen don't technically say that the cops laughed, they just quote the person's accusation. And even if they had, well, the fine members of the media are every bit as fallible as cops are.

Kalei
03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow, that is something you only see in horror movies. If it were me I would be depressed for life, and stay in my house and move away from there. There is obviously some sick person that knows them that wants to do cruel things to that poor girl. I hope that person is caught! :mad: Rest in Peace little doggy.

Sophist
03-12-2007, 02:18 PM
A fine point you make while playing Devil's Advocate.

I was just quite enraged with "friend"'s continuing... argumentativeness on the topic.

Personally i work with a fine bunch of Public Safety Officers (a.k.a. police.)

Just curious, but do you define Devil's Advocate simply as someone who does not agree with all of your leaps of logic?

Denyce
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Frankly Sophist, I think what Crow Noir is trying to express is her hurt feelings that while relating a story which has upset her deeply her "friend" rather than being supportive and caring instead chose to be argumentative or play "Devil's Advocate". The point being that whether or not you(in a general sense "you" not you specifically) think something is true expressing such opinion while a good friend is visibly upset and continuing to be argumentative is not a caring, loving or friendly thing to do. She is only trying to express her hurt about the situation.

It isn't up to us to determine if the cops really laughed or not. It is only up to us to express our horror of a terrible deed done by SOMEONE and how awful it is and how much it hurts people who can emphathize easily with others and to try and be kind and supportive. It IS sad that for whatever reason the owners of the dog PERCEIVED the cops to be laughing or finding the situation amusing in some way.

I have a very hard time with this story. When one of the first American's to be beheaded in this never ending war occured I heard audio of the actual beheading on the Mike Gallagher show on the radio. I can not truly express how absolutely horrifying it was. It will be with me forever, that man's pain and fear as his head was being cut off. So in reading this story my mind goes to this poor dog and it is all I can do not to start sobbing at the thought of this innocent dog going through that same torment. It tears me up inside thinking of this. Yes, I know I am anthromorphisizing (sp) but I can't help it. I pray to whatever god anyone believes in that the dog was killed before it was beheaded and that it's end was quicker.

I am off to hug my dog and cats and say a prayer for all those animals in need right now. :( :( :(

Sophist
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
//shrugs

It is a bit of a leap to imply that anyone not willing to agree with you simply because you are upset is not a real friend, or incapable of real empathy. Yes, listening is important, but generally speaking allowing someone to wallow and paint the blackest picture possible without trying to step in isn't being a real friend either. Not speaking of Crow Noir and her rant, because we really don't know the context and her buddies' emotions, just with the thoughts Denyce expressed.

I think expecting your own emotional reaction to warrant unflagging support and a fear of disagreement is manipulative, and makes the person expecting the "friend", instead of the friend who is trying to reason with them.

Or just maybe, some people who react emotionally would tend to look a little more favorably on the cops because it is horrible, but at least this one little added extra bit of awfulness you aren't going to just accept? You can't deny the situation with the dog, but at least the salt in the wound is something you can rationally grapple with to make you feel like things couldn't possibly be as horrible and ugly as they usually are?

Why is it that the 'truly sympathetic' tend to only extend it to those who react the same way they do?

I react very emotionally to what I percieve of as attacks on cops, as it seems her friend does. I think that deserves some consideration. I wouldn't come on here and start ranting about the bad apple pit-bulls and not expect pit lovers to respond and be emotional.

Denyce
03-12-2007, 09:36 PM
*shrugging right back* It is not being manipulative to know when is the right time to speak your mind and when it is being compassionate to just be a friend and say "yes that was a horrid thing".

I would agree that if say Sophist and I were friends and I knew of her attitude towards cops and how it is an emotional issue for her and I would take advantage of a horrid story and situation such as this to denigrate and carry on about how bad cops are AND also expect Sophist not to be defensive and try to defend cops in general.

You know what? I went back and read Crow Noir's post again for some clarification and she did know that her "friend" would be sensitive about cops since his brother is one and yes therefore expecting the friend not to be defensive is wrong. Reading the thread through quickly because of how upsetting this situation is caused me to not catch some of what was said. My bad.

I think letting this thread get back to what it's original intent was is best.

What a horrid thing was done to an innocent dog and the family.

*sigh*

crow_noir
03-12-2007, 11:12 PM
No, I define it is the opposite side of things.

Just curious, but do you define Devil's Advocate simply as someone who does not agree with all of your leaps of logic?

Sophist
03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
No, I define it is the opposite side of things.

That's not really what it means. When someone plays the Devil's advocate, they are arguing for something they don't believe in just for the sake of picking a fight.

I can't say I never do that, but I assure you that was not the intent of my post.

crow_noir
03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
When I said "A fine point you make while playing Devil's Advocate." I had actually been trying to pay you a compliment. I had actually thought your previous post to that had been well written.

That's not really what it means. When someone plays the Devil's advocate, they are arguing for something they don't believe in just for the sake of picking a fight.

I can't say I never do that, but I assure you that was not the intent of my post.