PDA

View Full Version : Second place in Dock Dogs!!!! 18'11"!!!! *video added*

finn's mom
03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey, I just wanted to share with you guys that we are going to enter Finn in another competition. We are driving down to David's parent's house in Leesville, Louisiana tomorrow night and staying there. Saturday morning, though, we are heading to Gonzales, Louisiana, with David's mom and Freckles for Finn's second dock dogs competition! It's an indoor event, which is cool, but it's supposed to be gorgeous outside, so we'll miss out on that. But, we are entering him into the Saturday and Sunday events and hopefully he'll get into the finals again! Anyway, wish us luck! :) We are really excited about it! David's mom, Betty, is looking for a cheerleader costume for Freckles already. ;)

March 11, 2007...Wow, we both improved this weekend and had SO MUCH FUN! Finn came in second in the amateur finals with a new personal best of 18'11"!!!!!! I just about burst with pride when he made that last jump, I knew it was a good one! :D We got a $75 check, a cap from Cabela's (a hunting/sports/outdoors outfitters retail store) and a gold medal in the shape of a star. I am not going to be online much longer tonight, but I wanted to share our great news! It was so fun, Finn just amazes me. I still can't get him to elevate, though. He just goes straight out! It's all speed and leg strength right now. Once I work on my throwing and timing, I think I'll be able to get him to keep his eyes on the ball and actually lift his head and body to try to catch it. :) David's not the best photographer, so we just chose to videotape. I will post at least the best jump tomorrow. :) Thanks for the support, you guys!!!

March 12, 2007....Here's Finn's best jump! This was his very last jump in the finals. We barely made it into the finals at first. They had 12 dogs in the amateur finals and 12 dogs in the pro finals. We were #12 in the amateur finals! Before the finals, our best jump still stood at 16'3" (we hit that mark again this weekend). During the finals is when he jumped over 17 feet to get us a spot in the final four and then he came out big with his best jump yet, 18'11"! We had to drive back to Plano, though, so we weren't able to stay for the pro finals. And, Max (the announcer and an awesome guy!) said they were doing the medals presentation after all the events, so we said we couldn't be there. I just got my awards from the registration trailer but by the time she got the stuff together, and I got my things together, they had changed their mind and done the award presentation! We missed it, even though we were standing about five feet from the dock. He didn't know I was still there, I was bummed! But, Finn looks great in his medal! :) I didn't get any photos of Finn jumping, but the videos are enough for me. I will take a couple of Finn with his medal and will share some of the others I got. Anyway, here's the video. :) ***Oh, yeah, and it turned out to be an outdoor event, so we got to be in the sunshine!!!***

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/th_18.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/southcarolinalife/?action=view&current=18.flv)

Taz_Zoee
03-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Woo Hoo!! Good luck Finn!! :D :D :D

.sarah
03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
No way! I almost entered this but it ended up being too far away with not enough time's notice for my parents. Good luck to you guys! Maybe one of these days we'll run into each other at an event!

Flatcoatluver
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Good luck Finn! That sounds like so much fun! Maybe one day we will try that.

Danegirl2208
03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
aw, i wish i could come watch! Looks so fun :)..good luck!

ps....take PICTURES!! ;)

Jadapit
03-08-2007, 11:45 PM
:D Good luck Kari and Finn! I know Finn will do great! Take videos again, I loved the last ones.

finn's mom
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
We will be taking videos and photos again! :) You don't have to worry about that! We leave tonight, I'm so excited about tomorrow. Dudley is going to stay at David's parent's house with Duane, David's dad. They are best of pals, so it will be like a weekend camp for Dudley. :) I can't wait!

Toby's my baby
03-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Yay! Good luck! I can't wait to see the pictures and video's! Have a great time! :D

k9krazee
03-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Goooood luck!!! :D

Ginger's Mom
03-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh yay! I can't wait for the videos. Good luck, Finn!

Lobodeb
03-09-2007, 04:03 PM
How exciting for you!!!

Good luck, Finn! Do what you do best!

lizbud
03-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Best of luck for Finn. :) Hope all goes well. Will look for the videos later.

Daisy and Delilah
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Have fun everybody and good luck!!!!! :D

BCollie_Kelly
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
How cool!
Have fun, and good luck Finn! :D

dukedogsmom
03-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Good luck Finn! You cute dog, you. I hope everyone has fun.

Glacier
03-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Go, Finn!!!

Karen
03-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh, those always look like such fun! You go, Finn! Make us proud! :)
(Which of course we will be no matter how he does.)

finn's mom
03-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Wow, we both improved this weekend and had SO MUCH FUN! Finn came in second in the amateur finals with a new personal best of 18'11"!!!!!! I just about burst with pride when he made that last jump, I knew it was a good one! :D We got a $75 check, a cap from Cabela's (a hunting/sports/outdoors outfitters retail store) and a gold medal in the shape of a star. I am not going to be online much longer tonight, but I wanted to share our great news! It was so fun, Finn just amazes me. I still can't get him to elevate, though. He just goes straight out! It's all speed and leg strength right now. Once I work on my throwing and timing, I think I'll be able to get him to keep his eyes on the ball and actually lift his head and body to try to catch it. :) David's not the best photographer, so we just chose to videotape. I will post at least the best jump tomorrow. :) Thanks for the support, you guys!!!

Giselle
03-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Congrats Finn!! I've never "met" a dock-jumper before! Good job you two :)

Uabassoon
03-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Congrats! I can't wait to see the videos, I really enjoyed the ones from the last event you guys went to.

dukedogsmom
03-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Congrats! I just love to watch that. Can't wait to see the pics. Finn is such a cutie.

BCollie_Kelly
03-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Wow, CONGRATS Finn! What an accomplishment! :D

king2005
03-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Congrats Finn!!!!

ramanth
03-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Way to go Finn!! :D

cyber-sibes
03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Go Finn Go! Wow, he's a natural! Looking forward to seeing him wearing his medals!
(BTW, is the date on your video postings incorrect? It says May 2007, but it's only March :confused: )

finn's mom
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
(BTW, is the date on your video postings incorrect? It says May 2007, but it's only March :confused: )

haha, thanks for pointing that out, I don't know why I typed May! :)

Thanks for all the congrats, we had a blast and the crowd was really fun! :)

cassiesmom
03-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Finn's Mom, what are dock dogs? I heard a little about it last night on the radio, but I missed the very beginning of the program. Congratulations on your win!

finn's mom
03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Finn's Mom, what are dock dogs? I heard a little about it last night on the radio, but I missed the very beginning of the program. Congratulations on your win!

check out the video in my original post and you will see what they do! you can also check out www.dockdogs.com and learn about the sport. i've been wanting to get finn into it ever since i first got him! it's gaining in popularity, so hopefully events will be more frequent in the next couple years. but, basically, it's like when humans compete in the long jump event in track and field, only the dogs land in water. the dog can be placed anywhere on a forty-foot dock and the object is for your dog to jump the furthest. :) they measure from the end of the dock to where the dog's tail meets his body. the world record is 28'10" and it's held by a greyhound/coonhound mix. :)

Daisy and Delilah
03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Although I'm not surprised.......CONGRATULATIONS FINN AND KARI!!!!! I can see you guys breaking the record any day now :D

Vela
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Aww that made me get tears in my eyes to see how hard he tried and how proud you were of him. Thanks for sharng that!

ChrisH
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Yay Finn!! That is so great! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/clapping.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/clapping.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/clapping.gif
Congratulations! :D

luvofallhorses
03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
that's awesome! :D I bet Finn has so much fun! :D Congrats Finn! :D I wish we had something like that here, my dogs would have a blast! :)

chocolatepuppy
03-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Way to go Finn! :D

Jadapit
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
How exciting Kari! :D Way to go Finn! That looks like so much fun. You may get addicted to it, I know I would. ;)

finn's mom
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
How exciting Kari! :D Way to go Finn! That looks like so much fun. You may get addicted to it, I know I would. ;)

I knew I would before I ever even tried it. And, I am officially addicted. I don't know how you couldn't be, though, if your dog liked it. It's really really difficult to wear Finn out, and this event does it. He sleeps like a baby after an event and is so happy during the event. We are looking at going to Oklahoma in June. :) It's only five hours away. There's one next month in Alabama, but that's eleven hours, so it would be a lot more difficult to make it, but, it might still be an option. :) You know I'll be sure to let you know if we compete again! :D

Ginger's Mom
03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Whoo-Hoo!!! You go Finn! How exciting. I always have thought it looked so exciting and fun on TV, and now I know a real dock jumper. Congrats Finn, and I will keep my eye out for the day you are on TV. I will have to see if there are any in this area in the summer time, I would love to go and watch on in person. :)

Kfamr
03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Way to go, Finn!

Is there a website with a list of their events?

vinjashira
03-13-2007, 05:47 AM
Congratulations Finn and Finn's Mom!

Well done! :)

Killearn Kitties
03-13-2007, 05:57 AM
How exciting! I had no idea that your Finn was such a star! :D
Congratulations on you personal best, gorgeous boy. You have made us all very proud.

finn's mom
03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Way to go, Finn!

Is there a website with a list of their events?

Yeah, it's www.dockdogs.com. :) There were several people in Louisiana that drove from Florida. Apparently they all belong to a club there and drove together, I think. I wish we had a club like that near here. There is a club, but I don't think they're all that active, because I can't seem to get in touch with anyone via email. :/ We are seriously looking at driving to Alabama next month, yay!

Thanks for all the congrats! I'm still on cloud nine! :D

Logan
03-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Congratulations Finn and Kari!!!! :)

Kari, are most of the dogs Labs or do you see other breeds in the competition, too? I would love to see this in person sometime, especially Finn!!! :D

finn's mom
03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Congratulations Finn and Kari!!!! :)

Kari, are most of the dogs Labs or do you see other breeds in the competition, too? I would love to see this in person sometime, especially Finn!!! :D

Most of them are labs or lab mixes, and that's mostly because labs are so fond of the water and will learn quickly if it involves water. :) But, the competitions are open to all breeds! Some of the non lab breeds I remember...rottweiller, jack russell, and border collie. I know there are others, my mind's a blank! The world record is held by a greyhound/coonhound mix! :)

And, we would love if you could come see us. There's an event in Georiga next month, hahaha. :) I doubt we can make it to it, but it might end up being an option. :)

IRescue452
03-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Yea Finn!! Congrats!

finn's mom
03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Oooo, I just found another site! www.splashdogs.com and there's a competition in grapevine, texas at the beginning of next month, woo hoo!!!

lizbud
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Hooray Finn. :) This looks like a great event for dogs & their people.
Finn looks like a natural at jumping. :) Congrats fella.

cloverfdx
03-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Way to go Finn and Kari, congratulations to you both :D.

K9soul
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
That is awesome Kari, congratulations to you and Finn! Loved the video :)

finn's mom
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Hooray Finn. :) This looks like a great event for dogs & their people.
Finn looks like a natural at jumping. :) Congrats fella.

It **is** a great event for families and their pets. It's such an awesome feeling to be there with people and their dogs. :)

Thank you to all of you for your congrats and for checking out the video!! :)

dukedogsmom
03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
It was great to see Finn in action. I just love watching this. I first learned about it on the Outdoor Network channel, I think. Finn, we're so proud of you!

finn's mom
03-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty excited!!! We found a place about 30 miles away that we can go practice at for free! They have a club that has practice dates, and this Saturday is open for practice! I'll be sure to get photos this time, as David will be able to handle Finn some, too! :D I think we are going to take Dudley and see if he'll jump. :)

BCollie_Kelly
03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
How cool! I'm sure he'll do AMAZING with some practice... not that he didn't already! :)

finn's mom
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
How cool! I'm sure he'll do AMAZING with some practice... not that he didn't already! :)

I know, I can't wait to try some different things to get him to pick his head up. :)