PDA

View Full Version : Locks of love

Sirrahsim
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Has anyone worked with them or donated hair to them? Even if I go with the longer style I am considering I should have around 11 inches or so of hair that would just be ending up on the floor of the salon.
Do I have to go to any particular place? I'm not interested in getting a free haircut out of it, I just figure if I'm going to cut it off anyway it may as well be fro a good cause.

Karen
03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
You do need to go to certain salons, not all of them participate. And 11 inches should be plenty for them too use - those of us who grow hair easily might as well share the blessing, right? ;)

The Locks of Love website might give you more specific information, or if you call a salon and ask, they'll probably know who in the area participates.
http://www.locksoflove.org/

4 Dog Mother
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
My daughter Christy has donated her hair. No you don't have to go anywhere special. My neighbor cut her hair. Here is the link we used. It gives you all the information you need.

http://www.locksoflove.org/donate_hair.php#item2

Good luck!

Karen
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Yay! They changed the rules! :)

Sirrahsim
03-08-2007, 01:42 PM
thanks bunches!! I'm getting excited! I hope that hubby can stand to look at me with short hair :rolleyes: :D

Maresche
03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
When I did the big chop, the salon was having a Lock for Love drive that day so my timing was perfect. I had over 19inches taken off and the gal there from the charity was very happy, which made me happy.

Kudos to you for even thinking about donating it.

Lobodeb
03-08-2007, 11:36 PM
I never really paid attention to them because as far as I knew (the rules may have changed now) but they wouldn't accept curly hair.

Good idea, Missy.

Sirrahsim
03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
I never really paid attention to them because as far as I knew (the rules may have changed now) but they wouldn't accept curly hair.

Good idea, Missy.
They accept all types of hair as long as it isn't bleached! They even say htat you can stretch out curly hair to get to the 10 inch minimum :) Unfortunately I've heard some not great info about them so I don't know if I will donate to them or to a similar organization instead.

cyber-sibes
03-09-2007, 07:31 AM
My friend's daughter donated her hair, which was so cool of her , she was about 8 yrs. old at the time. Don't know much else about them, but that's wonderful that you are donating what you won't be "using".

Logan
03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I almost suggested "Locks of Love" to you, yesterday, when I read your post about your hair, Missy. I haven't done it, personally, as they wouldn't want my "dyed" hair, but I have many friends who have done it. I think it is a very worthy cause.

Logan

Sirrahsim
03-09-2007, 09:39 AM
The only things that are bothering me about the whole thing are some of their financial practices. Not all of the kids get these wigs for free. They charge the parents based on a what they make in a year. Besides that they won't consider many kids undergoing Chemo because that is considered a "temporary" condition.
I know that they have to stay afloat but I read an article stating that they sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of donated hair to commercial wig manufacturers and don't even produce all that many wigs.... I just don't know..
Here is the wikipedia article that a friend on another forum brought up to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_love

I'm definately going to do more research before I give them my hair

Lobodeb
03-09-2007, 09:39 AM
They accept all types of hair as long as it isn't bleached! They even say htat you can stretch out curly hair to get to the 10 inch minimum :) Unfortunately I've heard some not great info about them so I don't know if I will donate to them or to a similar organization instead.

Hmmm, I have highlighs, so that still leaves me out, but it's good to know in the event I want to go Britney. :rolleyes:

AmberLee
03-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Hmmm. I had a little longer than waist length dyed hair that I had cut to pixie-length this summer. I didn't do a lot of research, but sent it to Locks of Love. I got a thank you note around Christmas. If there was a requirement around dyed hair, I didn't notice it... :o :confused:

Sirrahsim
03-10-2007, 07:07 AM
hair that is dyed darker is fine. They just don't want bleached hair because bleached hair is technically damaged. Their website says that if the hair is unsuitable for making wigs they sell it at "fair market price". :D

AmberLee
03-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Aha. That's it. My dark is medium brown.