PDA

View Full Version : Please help: Chili recipe needed!

M&M's Mommy
03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
My company will host a Chili Cook-off contest next month. The winner will be awarded with great prizes.. so help me win, please :D

Any Chili recipes are appreciated. I'll try them at home first before signing up to the contest, because the employees are the judge, and I have some very picky-eater co-workers :)

Thanks so much in advance,
Theresa

DrKym
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a few, but they are all shall we say alarm bringers?? LOL.

If you want them and Phred has the trucks ready I will happily send them to you.

Lobodeb
03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
What kind of chili are you looking for? I have a few recipes that I'm willing to share.

It might also help to know your location because chili is different in different places. For example, in New Mexico, my home state, is very different from Texas chili and is even more different from chili in California and Illinois.

I understand if you aren't willing to share that, however.

M&M's Mommy
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I live in Southern California, and being Asian, Chili is foreign to me, and not something I would make at home.. so any recipe/help is appreciate.

The Chili cook-off is departmental, since I belong to the department that consists of two caucasian guys & four Asian gals of which, no one knows how to cook Chili :)

cassiesmom
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Lobodeb, can you tell us what is different about Texas or New Mexico style chili? I don't have a good chili recipe. When I make it I use the mild McCormick seasoning packet, ground turkey, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Not very interesting but quick, easy and doesn't make a huge amount so I'm not stuck with a lot of left-overs. (i'm by myself)

Or - what about Cincinnati chili? (No beans - the unique ingredients are cinnamon, allspice and unsweetened cocoa). Serve it over spaghetti with grated cheese and onions on top.
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/cincinnatichili.shtml

Daisy and Delilah
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
My recipe is very similar to Elyse's(cassiesmom). I know the best thing in the chili to me is the cumin. Gotta have lots of cumin!! I love it. :D

Lobodeb
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Lobodeb, can you tell us what is different about Texas or New Mexico style chili? I don't have a good chili recipe. When I make it I use the mild McCormick seasoning packet, ground turkey, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Not very interesting but quick, easy and doesn't make a huge amount so I'm not stuck with a lot of left-overs. (i'm by myself)

Or - what about Cincinnati chili? (No beans - the unique ingredients are cinnamon, allspice and unsweetened cocoa). Serve it over spaghetti with grated cheese and onions on top.
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/cincinnatichili.shtml

The difference is that New Mexico chili has varieties. Red or Green. (On a side note, that's actually their state question :rolleyes: ) I find Texas chili to be a darker red shade with hints of how you described Cincinnati chili. That actually sounds more like a mole.

California, ok, that gives me something to work with. Do you have access to a latin grocery store? Or even your bigger chain stores might have what I'm thinking of. It's very easy to make, but you need to be able to find red chili powder. Think you can find some?

RedHedd
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Chilli recipe? Don't have one - I just throw the stuff in the pot that I know works. It turns out different every time. I call it my man-slayer chili! :D

king2005
03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
I kinda make mine up as I go.. I have a large crockpot, so I just keep adding stuff until its full lol

I use 4-6 different kinds of beans (rinsed & drained), 3 different mushrooms (I just randomly pick 3), a small amount of rice, 1-2lbs of hamburger cooked in tiny bits (no chunks), chilli powder to taste, small can of tomato paste, any kind of tomato pasta sauce (like 3 cheese, or mushroom, or spicy), whole skinned canned tomatoes cut into 4 add juice...

The rice is the last thing to go in & its added at the very end... I do not like runny chilli, so I add the rice to obsorb some of the fluids.

I usually cook mine for about 12hrs on slow in the crockpot

Edwina's Secretary
03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
My sister just sent me our "family" chili recipe.....

1# hamburger
1 can red beans
1 can tomatoes
onion to taste ( I never use onion in my chili)
large can of spaghetti and cheese
package of chili seasoning mix
strong chese cubed

Heat skillet
brown meat and onion drain
add tomatoes, seasoning, spaghetti, beans and cheese (I usually add a can of water)

Simmer for one hour

Marigold2
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Here is mine which I must say everyone really loves.

1 pound hamburger meat
1 large onion chopped
4 stalks of celery chopped
1 red, green or yellow pepper chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped

Combine the top five items in a frying pan until meat is brown and veggies are soft.

Put in large pot
Add the following

1 can of stewed tomatoes (Redpack) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano 28 oz each
1 can of Redpack tomato sauce 28 oz
1 can of tomato paste 6 oz
1/2 cup of ketchup (this gives it a spicy kick)
5 cans of Joan of Arc Spicy Chili Beans 15 oz each
I then add about 15 shakes of dry chili powder
10 shakes of onion powder
10 shakes of garlic powder
8 shakes of Red Pepper flakes
Sometimes I will add a glass of water, sometimes not.
Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper.

I let this all simmer for about 40 minutes.

Good luck.

kt_luvs_kitties
03-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok I will be the first to admit. I CANT COOK! BUT luckily my father taught me how to make chili. I made a few changes, but this is the best thing I can make, and it is so simple. My whole family loves it. (it is even better than my fathers :p )

I make mine with turkey meat. I dont eat beef, but everyone else in my family does....

1# ground beef or turkey

2 cans LIGHT kidney beans

2 cans DARK kidney beans

1 can chili beans ( I use bushes)

2 cans stewed tomatoes

1 can tomato paste

1 can tomato sauce

3 cans ROTEL chilis (any strength- hot/mild/original)

2 packs mccormicks any strength seasoning

1 large onion

2 cups water

I FIRST GROUND THE BEEF UNTIL IT IS ALMOST COOKED, THEN I ADD THE ONION. COOK UNTIL DONE.

I THEN USE A LARGE STOCK POT AND START ADDING ALL OF THE CANS. I PUT IN THE TWO PACKETS OF SEASONING. WHEN I AM DONE, I ADD THE GROUND BEEF. I USUALLY ADD ATLEAST 2 CUPS OF WATER TO MAKE IT A LITTLE MORE WATERY. I DONT LIKE MINE THICK...

COOK FOR AROUND 30-45 MINUTES
FEEDS 12 PEOPLE

HOPE THIS HELPS!!! Katie

Freedom
03-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought any grocery store carried red chili powder? It is in with the McCormick spices? So I was surprised that you thought you had to ask about it, Lobodeb. Oh, I just checked my cupboard. It says "chili powder," and it is red. Not the same thing?

Also, I know some places do NOT consider kidney beans as a part of chili. "Chili does NOT contain beans!" is a motto somewhere; I thought it was Texas, not sure.

I will be watching this thread; I know some great recipess are here already and more to come!

kt_luvs_kitties
03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Freedom, I also heard that chili in Kentucky has rice/pasta with it. I had NEVER heard that in North Carolina. Melissa (doolittleky) told me, and I thought she was crazy!!! Guess she was right. I like new recipes, but I am petrified to try any. I cant cook. But chili seems pretty easy :p

And yes Mccormick has red chili powder and cumin in it.

Lobodeb
03-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I thought any grocery store carried red chili powder? It is in with the McCormick spices? So I was surprised that you thought you had to ask about it, Lobodeb. Oh, I just checked my cupboard. It says "chili powder," and it is red. Not the same thing?

Nah, that McCormick stuff isn't the same thing. The chili powder I'm thinking about comes in a little plastic bag with a paper wrapper on top. It's more potent. It's not "burn you twice" strength, but it is certainly more flavorful.

I'lll try to find some in the cupboard and take a picture for you.

cassiesmom
03-16-2007, 07:54 PM
M&M&M's Mommy, how is the chili testing going?

M&M's Mommy
03-16-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll try the receipes this weekend, and will let you guys know if I'm sucessful or not. I'm not much of a cook, so I'm not too confident about how it will turn out. :)

PS: Thanks for adding another M to my name :D.

Karen
03-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Ah, but even if you're not much of a cook, chili is the best thing in the world to try. Too bland? Add more red peppr. Too thick? Add a little water. Too spicy? Add more tomatoes. Too acidy? Add a tablespoon of sugar ... etc. etc. There's no set quantity, so you can keep adding stuff until it tastes good!

Sigh. I miss Chili. But without the peppers, the beans, or the beef - all of which I am now allergic to - there ain't much point. Sigh.

slick
03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I have an awesome recipe. It's called "A Red Hot Chili Nightmare". I made it down at Gini's one year and everyone loved it............maybe because there is chocolate in it!!!! ;)

When I get home from work I'll post the recipe. Even if you don't use it, someone might find it interesting enough to try out.

Lady's Human
03-16-2007, 08:40 PM
With the threads we've had on such difficult to cook items such as hard boiled eggs, I think you should look elsewhere for culinary advice..... :p :p

slick
03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
A RED HOT CHILI NIGHTMARE

2 hot Italian sausages (or to taste)
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 med. onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed (or to taste)

Spices:
1 tsp anise seeds, crushed
½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp freshly ground pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground oregano
4 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
¼ lb ground almonds
5-6 tblsp chili powder (or to taste)

1½ oz. baker’s chocolate, broken into pieces
¾ cup tomato sauce
2 tblsp vinegar
3 tblsp lemon juice
1 – 10 oz. can chicken broth

• Place hot Italian sausages in baking dish and cook in a 350 degree oven for about 30 min. Cook and chop into ¼ inch slices.

• In a large pot on stove fry the bacon until crisp. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Now add the ground beef and cook until browned. Add the beans and the sliced sausage and mix well.

• Next, all the spices go into the pot. I usually mix up all the spices in a measuring cup first and pour in all at once. Mix well.

• Add the chopped chocolate, chicken broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and lemon juice. Stir well.

• Cover pot and let cook on top of stove for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If it gets too thick, add a little water or red wine.

• Alternatively, you can place all in a slow cooker and let “steep” for the day.

Scooter's Mom
03-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I know it's cheating, but I use a mix for mine... shh don't tell my brother!
We're from Texas, and my brother is on one of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo cookoff committee's... so he's always making his chili from scratch and trying to improve on it over the previous years entry.

My mom made hers with beans in it... I do too. I had never heard of it with rice until a friend moved back home after living in N Carolina for a few years and she had rice with her chili... now I don't find it too weird. Oh, and the chili has to be thick! The thicker the better. Yum!