PDA

View Full Version : questions about co ownership and junior showmanship in AKC

Suki Wingy
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I have some questions for those of you involved in conformation dogs through the AKC. I have wanted to sign on to co own a dog for junior showmanship for at least three years, and last year my mom finally agreed to look into it but we have not done anything because we have so many questions on the subject. They want to make sure it is not going to be a huge commitment to care for the dog and provide medical care. Basically, they do not want another dog at our house. Here are the big questions:

1. How often do I have to care for the dog, and how would I arrange time to train the dog? For my parents, the perfect set up would be the owner taking the dog to the showgrounds and us meeting her there, and leaving the dog with her at the end of the day never taking the dog off show grounds. This is ok I guess but how am I supposed to show that I have trained this dog if I never see it?

2. What is the financial involvement? Would we be paying anything when we sign to co ownership? How about the basic care of the dog?

Thanks if anyone can answer at least some of my questions.

lute
03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I co-own Gracie with her breeder, but she's pretty much my dog. The breeder has been great and we have no problems.

I would find a breeder that lives close to you with a few dogs that are active in the show ring. They may help you pick out a dog to co-own. Since your parents don't want another dog at your house the dog could live with the breeder and you could tag along to the shows with the breeder. That's what I did until Gracie was old enough to go into the show ring.

The financail part of it would be something the co-owner and your family would have to talk about. They may pay for it all or ask you to help pay for entry fees, hotel fees, etc.

(edit: be aware of breeders that can get ugly. Some people will get the law involved if you sign a contract, but don't read everything. It'll end up biting you in the rear.)

Giselle
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey Eva, are you on the new forum? If not, PM me and I'll give it to you. Tons of experienced juniors who can answer all your questions and more :)

coco-bean
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
here's my unanswered question: i dont know how to even get into showing or anything...can someone explain it to me? i dont know if iowa has any big shows or anything like that, im just confused!

Giselle
03-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Showing in conformation is an evaluation of breeding stock. If you show, the assumption is that you're going to breed. If you're not going to breed and have no intentions whatsoever to breed, try working for a professional handler. Handlers are fortunate in a sense - All the thrill, none of the pesky responsibility. Just a lot of politics ;)

If you want to get into showing, it's going to be assumed that you're planning to breed your dogs. So if you do want to go down that route (and I warn you, it can be a very bittersweet road), look for a reputable breeder/mentor who will guide you through the ins and outs. If you're just looking to handle a dog and get a feel for the show circuit, again, talk to a breeder and see if they have dogs you can practice with. Or sign up for handling classes. A show qual. dog is not required. The better option would be to skip two steps ahead and find a professional handler who is willing to mentor you. It's a pity you weren't younger because then Junior's would be an option (again, show qual dog is not required in JR's). Bottom line is that there's no one right or wrong way to get into showing, but you should understand what the purpose of showing is and that it certainly is not all ribbons and prizes.

For dog show listings, I primarily use infodog.com and word of mouth. Your mentor will also help you find shows. Hope this helps a bit.
ETA: Just noticed you said Iowa. Jack Onofrio should also be a bit of help for you: http://www.onofrio.com/

Suki Wingy
03-08-2007, 03:24 PM
thanks, and no, I'm not on the new forum. I'll pm you.