PDA

View Full Version : need betta fish advice!!! HELP!!!

sprokett
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
i am thinking about getting a betta fish but i need to know kinda the size's of what tank i need i was thinking of getting only one maybe two i just need to save up and then i can have one but to be honest i dont really know about betta's but now i am gonna do a load of reasearch!!!!!

please help me

Freedom
03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi!

Male bettas are fighters. You can ONLY HAVE ONE in a tank. If you get 2 and put them together, they will fight to the death. It is OK if you use a tank separator, as then it is as if they each are the only one. They can't reach each other. the separator should be solid so they can't even see each other.

Bettas do not need a lot of space. A 5 gallon tank should be OK if you are not putting any other fish in there. But if you are going to get a filter, heater, etc, most folks go for the 10 gallon and add a few other community fish.

Most male bettas do fine in a community tank with other fish. However, the fish are like humans, individuals. So I have had 5 male bettas at different times. ONE did attack the other fish and I returned him the next day.

Female bettas are not quite as showy as the males. but you can keep as many of those together as you want.

Hope this helps!

sparks19
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi!

Male bettas are fighters. You can ONLY HAVE ONE in a tank. If you get 2 and put them together, they will fight to the death. It is OK if you use a tank separator, as then it is as if they each are the only one. They can't reach each other. the separator should be solid so they can't even see each other.

Bettas do not need a lot of space. A 5 gallon tank should be OK if you are not putting any other fish in there. But if you are going to get a filter, heater, etc, most folks go for the 10 gallon and add a few other community fish.

Most male bettas do fine in a community tank with other fish. However, the fish are like humans, individuals. So I have had 5 male bettas at different times. ONE did attack the other fish and I returned him the next day.

Female bettas are not quite as showy as the males. but you can keep as many of those together as you want.

Hope this helps!

I have also heard that male bettas are likely to attack any type of fish with long flowy fins. they like to be the prettiest ones in the tank ;)

It is neat to have a female and male side by side where they can see each other.... it really promotes "bubble blowing" but I have heard that you should not keep them in the same tank for any kind of extended time either.

they also do better without a filter if there is not a place that they can get away from the current. If you have a place that they can get behind or inside that isn't affected by the current they should be fine but they do need to rest on things so having a filter can sometimes be difficult on them if they have no motionless refuge area.

Zippy
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Bettas are great fish.I would say bettas should be in atleast a gallon tank.
No 2 males together.They aren't called fighting fish for nothing.Males and Females both make equally great pets.

Freedom
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I have also heard that male bettas are likely to attack any type of fish with long flowy fins. they like to be the prettiest ones in the tank ;)

It is neat to have a female and male side by side where they can see each other.... it really promotes "bubble blowing" but I have heard that you should not keep them in the same tank for any kind of extended time either.

they also do better without a filter if there is not a place that they can get away from the current. If you have a place that they can get behind or inside that isn't affected by the current they should be fine but they do need to rest on things so having a filter can sometimes be difficult on them if they have no motionless refuge area.

I never knew that about either the bubbles OR the filter! Thanks!

Kalei
03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Yup, never put two males together, but one betta can make out just fine in a 1 gallon tank:D In nature, bettas actually usually live in the mud, so they don't need huge amounts of space as some other fish do such as goldfish.

Good luck choosing the betta, they are so beautiful:)

sparks19
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
The reason bettas don't need as much space is because they don't need to move around to breath. They breath from the surface. having too much space can actually tire them out as they will have to stay near the surface more often than usual and don't get the "rest" periods as often.

Yeah I can't remember where I learned the filter thing.... but if you ever watch a betta fish you will notice that they often will rest on a plant or other things and be perfectly still. no swimming or anything... they need that rest and sometimes the movement from a filter can move the water so much that they can't rest that way. :D

Flatcoatluver
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I personally think 1 gallon is to small. My 3 bettas are in 2.5 gallon or larger. Never put a female and a male together. Also I personally would never breed pet store bettas.

sprokett
03-08-2007, 02:43 AM
i dont want a female and a male because i dont want a breeding pair
i wish i could but it would be too expensive as i would need another
setup how do you know who's a male and whos a f/male????

THANK-YOU!!!!